So... Hero Jenner

166 replies to this topic

#81 Vidarok

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • LocationVestibule of Creation

Posted 04 December 2013 - 07:21 AM

Has less hardpoints than any other Jenner. No JJs.

Verdict: it sucks. Unless you really want that 30% C-bill bonus [redacted]

Edited by miSs, 04 December 2013 - 07:52 AM.

#82 Yeknomious

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 04:34 PM

http://s1133.photobu...titled.png.html

Not a bad run - typical of this build - high damage but low kills.

This is better: http://s1133.photobu...tled-1.png.html

Edited by Yeknomious, 04 December 2013 - 05:19 PM.

#83 levitas

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Forbidden
  • The Forbidden
  • 264 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 08:24 PM

So, I gave this guy a fair shake, and it's time to accept that this variant really is a rust bucket. Maybe I'll come back to it, but I threw a very similar build together on a shadowhawk (+2ML), and it's a LOT better. Didn't even throw in double heat sinks yet, and my survivability, lethality, and effectiveness just shot up.

Don't grab this mech unless you're ready for what you're getting into. If you still want it, seriously consider the hawk 2D2 first, as it's very much better in every relevant way.

#84 ToxinTractor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 295 posts
  • LocationBC Canada

Posted 04 December 2013 - 08:57 PM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...dde102f31ee1f99

eh threw this together in like.. 5.. 8 mins.. pretty simple to me. I dont see why folks are giving it such a hard time. Hell. You dont even need the 4th ton of srm ammo. tweak the armor a bit and drop 1 ton of extra ammo and you dont need to even drop in the ferro armor. Biggest weakness to the mech though is if you dont use streaks your really venerable to other lights.. however if you know how to aim an what not no issue! ;)

Pretty much- wait with the big guys for your protection then dash around and fire off as many salvos as you can into their bigger mechs then dash away! Heck i could see a loadout with LRM5s even.. just be a mobile lrm boat. Dash behind them and get LOS and start chain firing those babies into there back. If they come for you then dash away! :blink:

Very hit an run oriented style and i like that in a light mech. Hell if you wanted to be slower i bet you could fit.. DUN DUN DUN.. a LRM 15 c:

#85 levitas

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Forbidden
  • The Forbidden
  • 264 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:33 PM

Do you have this mech, toxin?

#86 Israel Finklestein

• PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:21 PM

View PostToxinTractor, on 04 December 2013 - 08:57 PM, said:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...dde102f31ee1f99

eh threw this together in like.. 5.. 8 mins.. pretty simple to me. I dont see why folks are giving it such a hard time. Hell. You dont even need the 4th ton of srm ammo. tweak the armor a bit and drop 1 ton of extra ammo and you dont need to even drop in the ferro armor. Biggest weakness to the mech though is if you dont use streaks your really venerable to other lights.. however if you know how to aim an what not no issue! ;)

Pretty much- wait with the big guys for your protection then dash around and fire off as many salvos as you can into their bigger mechs then dash away! Heck i could see a loadout with LRM5s even.. just be a mobile lrm boat. Dash behind them and get LOS and start chain firing those babies into there back. If they come for you then dash away! :blink:

Very hit an run oriented style and i like that in a light mech. Hell if you wanted to be slower i bet you could fit.. DUN DUN DUN.. a LRM 15 c:

So you get 2 more alpha over the F and it's instant, except it spreads all over the place and has less reliable hit detection. Also SRMs are a joke against light mechs, their hit detection combined with light hit detection in general combined with the general difficulty of hitting light mechs reliably slashes your damage down to pretty much nothing. All that being said, SRM20 is probably the only 'unique' build the Oxide has to its name, and it's really lacking.

As far as the more popular streak builds go, you can't twist your arms laterally which is one of the reasons why Jenners are an inherently poor SSRM mech, it's far harder for a Jenner to keep lock on an enemy light than it is for a Commando, Kintaro, or Shadowhawk (which also all have more flattering hit profiles and many other advantages to their names). Even the Locust can do a 4SSRM build, and since the Oxide has no jumpjets, you can't really even argue that it has anything over the LCT-3S other than more armor, which is mostly negated by a worse hit profile.

The Oxide is the worst Jenner variant now, and is the worst hero mech as well.

#87 ToxinTractor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 295 posts
  • LocationBC Canada

Posted 05 December 2013 - 03:27 AM

View PostIsrael Finklestein, on 04 December 2013 - 11:21 PM, said:

So you get 2 more alpha over the F and it's instant, except it spreads all over the place and has less reliable hit detection. Also SRMs are a joke against light mechs, their hit detection combined with light hit detection in general combined with the general difficulty of hitting light mechs reliably slashes your damage down to pretty much nothing. All that being said, SRM20 is probably the only 'unique' build the Oxide has to its name, and it's really lacking.

As far as the more popular streak builds go, you can't twist your arms laterally which is one of the reasons why Jenners are an inherently poor SSRM mech, it's far harder for a Jenner to keep lock on an enemy light than it is for a Commando, Kintaro, or Shadowhawk (which also all have more flattering hit profiles and many other advantages to their names). Even the Locust can do a 4SSRM build, and since the Oxide has no jumpjets, you can't really even argue that it has anything over the LCT-3S other than more armor, which is mostly negated by a worse hit profile.

The Oxide is the worst Jenner variant now, and is the worst hero mech as well.

I had even stated that it is poor for fighting lights with out SSRMs. The lack of the lateral arm moment doesnt hurt it when your acting in more of a strike mech role. Which again is what i pointed out.

The locust can do a SRM build as well however it isnt as strong as the oxide not to mention it gets killed very easy, the jenner chassis atleast has the ability to take a few hits so it can keep doing hit and runs. you shouldnt be taking much return fire any how since by the time they starting turning to fire on you- you have already started to dart out of the fight.

I just think your focusing too much on it as a light vs light mech. which it isnt.

Heck if you really wanted to improve the accuracy of your SRMs could drop the engine size a little to slow you down to like.. 122km (in that area) and fit in some artimis. Though you may have to drop a SRM 4.

But the over all concept of it- is to pick on the larger mechs. srms arnt bad when the target is larger then you are. And in a tiny jenner with its small profile can easily use the land on most maps to get behind or flank its target and either fire into its rear or pick on its arms. Yes the locust can do it to. However at 20 tons it really is lacking in many areas where the oxide shines in.

(Edit- did the math for artimis)

Edited by ToxinTractor, 05 December 2013 - 03:30 AM.

#88 Win Ott

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Serpent
  • The Serpent
  • 153 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the Southern Reach

Posted 05 December 2013 - 05:35 AM

I'm loving this mech! I do miss the jj (i keep hitting the spacebar as I play) but I'm getting acclimated to not having them. Otherwise, this jenner has rocked as a lighthunter/jackal mech.

Posted Image

Edited by Win Ott, 05 December 2013 - 05:43 AM.

#89 -Muta-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 749 posts
  • Locationstill remains a mistery.

Posted 05 December 2013 - 05:39 AM

I bought it, is fun to play but engaging might be risky . I do way better with a raven 3L

#90 Roughneck45

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 05 December 2013 - 05:53 AM

The worst jenner, by a mile. Should have had JJ's, or at least an energy hardpoint or two, not missing both.

I guess they wanted to make the Deaths Knell look good.

Edited by Roughneck45, 05 December 2013 - 05:53 AM.

#91 Panzerjotun

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 264 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 08:49 AM

It seems rushed to me honestly. How after all this time did the design team really say, "yep - that thing will sell like hot cakes".

#92 levitas

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Forbidden
  • The Forbidden
  • 264 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 10:21 AM

I mean, this thing just reeks of story flavor.

The grizzled veteran, defending against invading forces, has to eject from his phract and retreat to base. The enemy is closing in on the fortified zone. The defenses are almost depleted, and the company has no mechs left in the bay, except for the vet's first mech, a jenner. It's seen better days, and rust has taken a permanent home in the actuators.

The veteran has long since stripped the jenner of its electric systems and jump jets for newer, safer mechs. In truth, the jenner was this vet's first love, having delivered him home after many close calls, but those glory days are long past.

The enemy approaches, it's time for his last stand. He crams the last missile systems into the open arms, throws an old engine in the chassis, and prepares to hold off the invaders while his friends escape. One last hurrah. One last brilliant show of resistance before all is truly lost.

After all, it's not the warriors way to go without a fight.

Edited by solar levitas, 05 December 2013 - 10:22 AM.

#93 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 05 December 2013 - 10:44 AM

View PostKoniving, on 03 December 2013 - 03:06 PM, said:

These people need to put AMS in their Oxides! My streaks are ripping them to shreads and I'm in my Victor 9S with 3 streaks, LB-10/AC5 2 ML combo.

Hrm...

*runs off into the mech lab*

Edit: Do you put the LB-10 and AC5 on the same fire button?

Edited by Bront, 05 December 2013 - 11:01 AM.

#94 Kraven Kor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,434 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 10:54 AM

I will say this:

RIP, Locust, you will (not?) be missed.

If you don't have ECM, are in a light, and get an oxide on your tail, just say goodbye.

Worthless against anything else it seems, but by Mecha-Jesus do they do a number on my SDR-5K :ph34r:

#95 Sug

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,627 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 05 December 2013 - 10:54 AM

Pay2lose

#96 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 05 December 2013 - 11:06 AM

View PostKraven Kor, on 05 December 2013 - 10:54 AM, said:

I will say this:

RIP, Locust, you will (not?) be missed.

If you don't have ECM, are in a light, and get an oxide on your tail, just say goodbye.

Worthless against anything else it seems, but by Mecha-Jesus do they do a number on my SDR-5K :ph34r:

Chainfiring 4 SSRMs, they basically never stop and the only time I've even gotten a heat warning was after circling a heavy on the button for about a minute on Mordor. I suspect once you get it out of Elite, it'll actually be impossible to overheat. Yes, it's good for killing lights, but I've also found I can distract the heck out of bigs while my teammates focus fire on them. Is it a perfect mech? Good gravy, no. But it's not valueless either.

Edited by Terciel1976, 05 December 2013 - 11:07 AM.

#97 Win Ott

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Serpent
  • The Serpent
  • 153 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the Southern Reach

Posted 05 December 2013 - 11:53 AM

The oxide works very well as a force protection platform. Mixed in with line units, it receives some AMS protection from lrms and is quite capable of driving off light and medium raiders. I ran mine in tandem with a Stalker, and combined, those mechs obliterated all comers (except for that 10 vs 2 battle; we lost that one).

But y'all are totally correct. This is a terrible mech and I encourage you not to get one. They are not worth it. Put em out of your mind!

#98 Sniper09121986

• The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 12:14 PM

Oh, by Kerensky! My very first mech was JR7-D and I only sold it because I got Sarah's version anyway. I am a HUEG fan of Jenners, and this... I have no idea what it is and what is it supposed to do other than rip off the poor nooblets who don't know what it is either. Locust was already over the top, I didn't even bother to ride it. Really, PGI, just concentrate on the Clans, generous and timely Friday sales would be enough to keep us spending.

#99 Hammerhai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 998 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 01:20 PM

It seems to be inspired by the Clan Jenner (see SARNA), but with only SSRM 2's to use ... ewwwwwwww.

I will wager some SSRM 6's (Pig's eye,what's your med, I know) would make this an interesting platform and one to be feared.

I am SO sorry I opted for a Founder's Atlas than a Founder Jenner when I bought Founder's. But back then I did not know what I usually do quite well in.

#100 Hammerhai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 998 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 01:33 PM

I feel ...
the urge ...
to do evil unto my MC...
Buy... NO
MUST RESIST

Seriously this thread made me curious ...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users