The "Unseen": What would you be happy with?

117 replies to this topic

Poll: The "Unseen": What would you be happy with? (351 member(s) have cast votes)

In what capacity of the appearance of the "Unseens" would you be happy with?

1. I want the originals! I am stubborn! (very unlikely to happen, but needed to be a choice) (73 votes [20.80%])

Percentage of vote: 20.80%

2. The "Reseen" versions are fine they should just use something similar to those (assuming they are still legal of course). (43 votes [12.25%])

Percentage of vote: 12.25%

3. I would rather they be completely redesigned AGAIN. Whatever it takes to get Harmony Gold off our backs! (Alex "Flyingdebris" Iglesias and company... that's your queue) (114 votes [32.48%])

Percentage of vote: 32.48%

4. Some middle ground between Option 2 & 3; I liked some designs, but some were stupid. Let us vote for new designs! (111 votes [31.62%])

Percentage of vote: 31.62%

5. Unseen... Reseen... Whatever... They were before my time and/or I don't care. (10 votes [2.85%])

Percentage of vote: 2.85%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Redtail

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 10:28 PM

I've just saved that imagining of the Marauder to my **** folder and will be enjoying some quality time with it tonight.

#22 wpmaura

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 07:09 AM

I loved the Locust, Warhammer Marauder and especially Battlemaster.

thank god for mektek because now I can play with all of them and more for free

#23 Thomas Hogarth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 463 posts
  • LocationTharkad

Posted 14 November 2011 - 10:44 AM

Actually, I'm somewhere between options 1 and 3. They need to be redesigned, but they really really need to keep an eye on the originals. I HATED the reseen marauder. Even FlyingDebris magic can only go so far(although it was a vast improvement).

Look at the reseen Pheonix Hawk. Dear god, what happened there? The reseen Shadow Hawk was also terrible. Zero relation to the originals.

That being said, keep the Ostol. It's kind of hot. compared to the original. And I guess the scorpion isn't bad either...

#24 Xhaleon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 542 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 10:54 AM

View PostThomas Hogarth, on 14 November 2011 - 10:44 AM, said:

Look at the reseen Pheonix Hawk. Dear god, what happened there? The reseen Shadow Hawk was also terrible. Zero relation to the originals.

Hey wait, I LIKE the Reseen Phoenix! I think its neato in the same way a Commando is neato. They look like giant men in metal suits.

Shadow Hawk I can agree on being weird looking, though. I can understand that they wanted to have a "Hawk" family aesthetic, but it really should have kept the boxtube head. Same thing for the Marauder, a canopy cockpit just makes it look like any other generic chickenwalker.

Edited by Xhaleon, 14 November 2011 - 11:30 AM.

#25 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,341 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 14 November 2011 - 11:25 AM

The RESEEN designs need to atleast somewhat resemble the unseen designs, like that Marauder, while it looks 'ok' it doesn't pop like the original, the beam pods feel too chunky, the Dorsal gun isn't a dorsal gun... things like that... it just doesn't 'feel' right.

The Warhammer's a mech that's going to be tough, because it's such an icon, that to change it too radically would be difficult... honestly take a look at the Warhammer 8K model for a decent looking version of what the Warhammer 'could' end up looking like.

in fact, in tabletop I use an 8K model to represent my 6K version.

It's a fine line, to be sure.

#26 Hodo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,058 posts
  • LocationArkab

Posted 14 November 2011 - 02:19 PM

View PostHans Von Lohman, on 13 November 2011 - 10:15 PM, said:

Flying Debris has already done a Marauder Re-seen...sort of. It is on the BattleTech website, on the Universe, BattleMech Technology page.

I think it looks good myself. It is significantly different than the original as well, yet I still like this image.

MARAUDER RE-SEEN, by Flying Debris

Posted Image

Personally I always thought a good way to re-design the Marauder would be to take an Apache gunship, cut the tail and rotor off, then stick chicken walker legs on the bottom, move the chaingun from the bottom to the top of the rotorhead, and extend the rocket pods down on some robot arms.

Cant redesign it to much. As it would ruin the fluff on why a Mad Cat is named a Mad Cat.

The Omni mech "Mad Cat" aka Timberwolf got its name because a scout attempted to describe it to his command. He said "it looks like a Marauder with a Catapult mix." It was shortened to Mad-Cat.

#27 Zakatak

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,673 posts
  • LocationCanadastan

Posted 14 November 2011 - 02:33 PM

Not included: option 6.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#28 TheRulesLawyer

• 1,415 posts
  • LocationChicagoland

Posted 14 November 2011 - 02:56 PM

While I'd love to see all the unseen, I think we all know its not going to happen. I just hope they keep the loadouts and names and redesign the models so we can at least use the mechs we've been playing with for so long.

#29 Stormwolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,951 posts
  • LocationCW Dire Wolf

Posted 14 November 2011 - 03:30 PM

The unseen are a mixed bag, some look better then the originals while others are look pretty poor.

Though it would probably be for the best to tweak those designs a bit for the game.

#30 Marxman

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 November 2011 - 05:15 PM

Id prefer new redesigns. However i do like most of the reseens enough to be happy with them being in game. Of cause the unseens brought to the style of the artwork for mwo would be extremly cool imho.
however i think new all unique designs might be the way to go including some design atributes of both the unseen and the reseen. I tinkered with the idea for quite a while and made some sketches over the years. Heres what i think a Warhammer (my fav mech) could look like:

Posted Image

That said i reasly hope the warhammer , marauder rifleman and so on make it into the game no matter what designs.

#31 Rhinehart

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • LocationFree Worlds League

Posted 14 November 2011 - 06:06 PM

Forgive me But I WANT the unseen. All of them. As far as I am concerned have the re-seen too. Why not? But there has actually been a lot of legal maneuvering over this in the last year or so or at least that's what friends from MW:LL are telling me. But as far as my own reasoning goes...

I was a Robotech fan long before I was a battletech fan. I loved the cartoon series and went so far as to spend some of my high school after work wages to purchase the entire set of novels. I spent many hours daydreaming what it would be like to pilot a Skull and Crossbone emblazoned Veritech against the Zaentradi Armada.

Then I discovered Battletech...and was at first hugely dissapointed. The Veritechs I loved were all light and medium machines, many of which couldn't change into fighter planes and all of them including the LAMS seemed very unimpressive. But the novels were good and the Warhammer and Crusader seemed cool... which then led me to the Marauder.

The Marauder...how I wanted to hate that machine! After all it was the Zaentradi Officer's Pod in Robotech, the nemesis of the heroic Robotech Defense Force. But using it rarely in table top, reading about it in novels and then playing the IIC version in MW2 and MW2 GBL (or coming up with the closest design I could in the various video games that didn't have it). Something quite different happened. I grew to love that fearsome beast. After all it is the Darth Vader of Mechs and who doesn't want to be the Mech that just looks frakkin inhumanely dangerous?

This is something I wish Harmony Gold would realize. A great many Robotech fans are also Battletech fans. We'd love to see more Robotech stuff out there, but the universe they designed was strictly limited in scope and doesn't allow for much in the way of expanded storylines.

That being said Harmony certainly could've put more content out there. The only broad release content I can recall was a fun but certainly not world shattering console title that I played on the PS2.

Battletech however took those wonderful machines and integrated them into a broad and open world of mech battles, storylines and universal combat. I can't even begin to guess how much pivotal and canonical Battletech material includes these wonderful designs.

My point is this. Fans want what we enjoy and we will pay for it. We really could care less for the most part about the red tape. Every time Harmony Gold yanked these designs, intentionally or not they tainted my memory of Robotech and Harmony Gold. Because other than greed for either money or just proprietary ownership there really was no reason for it. That doesn't mean some sort of licensing shouldn't have been worked out, but Harmony has never been interested in this.

Battletech on the other hand has often and still continues to go after these designs. Why?. Because their fans love them and want to pilot them. Because they are for better or worse intrinsic parts of the universe. C'mon, Grayson Carlyle without his Shadowhawk or Marauder? Really? Jaime Wolf without his Archer? The Black Widow without her Warhammer? I don't think so.
Battletech gets what Harmony doesn't. Go all out to try to please your fans and you will get cross market appeal. Harmony seems content for cult status only, which is sad for those of us who'd like our sci-fi to be a bit more inclusive and tolerant.

So yes, as a Fan I want ALL the unseens and will go to whatever lenghts I can to get them including downloading mektek's versions and playing them silly. Or making my own if I have to.

On another point, can I make one request?

If you are going to re-design the Marauder put the frakkin autocannon on the center top where it belongs! That was one of the singular features of the design and nothing else looked like it from outside or inside the cockpit. It was awesome in MW2 to see weapons fire from low left, low right and directly above your view slaming out at your target. So please stop with this offset left or offset right business. That's a Nightstar, not a Marauder.

Thank you,

Rhinehart

Edited by Rhinehart, 14 November 2011 - 06:17 PM.

#32 Marxman

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 15 November 2011 - 04:22 AM

Yeah the Marauder. I completly agree with the weapon on top of the Centertorso. It does not feel right with it sitting on the right torso. Problem is thts one of the main visual features of the unseen Marauder. Its so defining the mech that this could cause IP problems again. Sure one could design it differently so only the barrel is above the centertorso and a loading mechanism is offset to the right. ANd more bulky as well.
Hip and Kneejoints would have to be different and the position of the arms on the original Marauder are hard to redesign and still look good. Sure its a chalange to redesign it. Especialy considering no matter what you do some people will hate it from the bottom of their hearts.
I wouldnt mind seeing a slightly reworked reseen Marauder in MWO, but id love to see Flying Debris take on redesighning it from the ground up.

#33 Caballo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 416 posts
  • Location"Mechs are mobile war machines. You're either moving, or you're dead"

Posted 15 November 2011 - 04:59 AM

NO-*******-WAY!

I-WANT-MY-*******-WARHAMMER! ¿GET IT?
:)

**** vultures at Harmony Gold... The one in the trailer is redesigned and they cannot even stand that... ***** THEM!

Edited by Caballo, 15 November 2011 - 05:10 AM.

#34 Korbyn McColl

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 402 posts
  • LocationGlasgow

Posted 15 November 2011 - 06:24 AM

The whole issue of the Unseen has been resolved, and Piranha has the rights to use them in the original design, so, hopefully, we'll get something that's a FlyingDebris remake of the originals. Can't wait to see the old classics from the original game in use again!

#35 Xhaleon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 542 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 09:01 AM

Marauder redesigns tend to have a shifted dorsal cannon because that represents the actual paper stats more accurately. Unless it uses an AC/20 or Heavy Gauss Rifle, a side torso cannon will have to do. A Clan Marauder could get away with a PPC in the CT as the big gun.

Of course, it *should* be elevated above the head and canted slightly to the center in order to preserve the original design.

The biggest beef I have is with the cockpit. Dorsal bubble canopy cockpits are an absolute no-no for me.

#36 Nill Zenath

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 09:08 AM

I think Catalyst should go and license the designs of one of the other Macross series, besides the one Robotech was derived from.

#37 Marxman

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 15 November 2011 - 10:12 AM

View Postdevil man, on 15 November 2011 - 06:24 AM, said:

The whole issue of the Unseen has been resolved, and Piranha has the rights to use them in the original design, so, hopefully, we'll get something that's a FlyingDebris remake of the originals. Can't wait to see the old classics from the original game in use again!

When? Where? How? :)

#38 Cifu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 348 posts
  • LocationHungary, EU

Posted 15 November 2011 - 10:39 AM

Honestly, i'm not living in North-America. I do not care about Harmony Gold. The Rest-of-the-World do not care about Harmony Gold. Solve this somehow, but i wan't the old, the original unseens!

#39 feor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 15 November 2011 - 11:33 AM

View PostCifu, on 15 November 2011 - 10:39 AM, said:

Honestly, i'm not living in North-America. I do not care about Harmony Gold. The Rest-of-the-World do not care about Harmony Gold. Solve this somehow, but i wan't the old, the original unseens!

Unfortunately FASA, and now Catalyst, operate out of the United States, which means if they take something they don't have right to but Harmont Gold does, Harmony GOld would have no problems suing them out of existence.

People saying "fix this" don't realize exactly how shaky the ground under the Unseen are. FASA(and now Catalyst) cannot lay claim to them because they were stolen images (for the most part, still not sure how they figure the Osts are Glaug battlepods, but whatever). Even if htey have the license now, if they just start publishing material with the orignal unseen in them the issuer of that license can come along at any time, say "I don't like what you're doing with my pictures" and revoke the license (no doubt paying some kind of breech of contract penalty, but still something the can do) meaning that Catalyst would be stuck with ANOTHER mess of product they can't sell.

In MWO they would have to go through and edit out all of the mechs from the game, because it's a live thing, they would essentially be "recalling" all the images that were in violation of the now revoked license.

Really, Catalyst shouldn't have done Project Phoenix, they should have just redesigned the gears and said "Here's what they look like now, this is a retconn, so this is what they always looked like as far as anyone in universe is concerned." As much as it would have ****** some people off, it would have very clearly and concisely put this whole issue to bed permanently.

#40 Marxman

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 December 2011 - 08:36 AM

Sorry for digging this topic out again but i found a pic i wanted to show you. I dont know who made it but i think its a rather nice redesign of the good old marauder. Looks like a mix of the original nad the reseen IIC. i personaly like it alot.

kudos to whoever made that pic. Very nice dynamic pose aswell.

Posted Image

55 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 55 guests, 0 anonymous users