336 replies to this topic

#141 MightyBolamite

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 190 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 04:07 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 17 September 2014 - 02:55 PM, said:

That looks really awesome! But you went to all that trouble, and you didn't even change the background colour? Or at least center the image? My OCD is killing me :)

I did. It actually has a transparent background, but for some reason makes that color when I put it in my sig. I don't know what's up.

#142 MonkeyCheese

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,045 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Australia

Posted 17 September 2014 - 04:18 PM

View PostMightyBolamite, on 17 September 2014 - 04:07 PM, said:

I did. It actually has a transparent background, but for some reason makes that color when I put it in my sig. I don't know what's up.

yup opened the image in a new tab and there it is white background, how strange that it shows grey here

#143 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 September 2014 - 01:50 PM

View PostMightyBolamite, on 17 September 2014 - 04:07 PM, said:

Try either saving it as a .gif or just using the forums actual background colour [#191919]. I'd just use the solid colour. =P

edit: MonkeyCheese, yours is actually set to #171818. It's a little off and bothers me. Probably because you saved it as jpeg. xD

Edited by Tarogato, 18 September 2014 - 01:55 PM.

#144 Mech42Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 917 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 02:48 PM

View PostTarogato, on 18 September 2014 - 01:50 PM, said:

edit: MonkeyCheese, yours is actually set to #171818. It's a little off and bothers me. Probably because you saved it as jpeg. xD

Lol thanks for pointing that out to me now that's all I'll be able to see when I see his signature! :P

#145 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 18 September 2014 - 03:21 PM

View PostTarogato, on 18 September 2014 - 01:50 PM, said:

Try either saving it as a .gif or just using the forums actual background colour [#191919]. I'd just use the solid colour. =P

What he said.

Saving pixel art as .jpeg is the equivalent of serving someone fancy wine in a dirty glass. The whole point of pixel art is the precision placement of the pixels, using colours and pixel clusters to create a real crispy and readable image, regardless of size. When you use a .jpeg, it changes the whole structure of the image, adds a bunch of different colours and distorts everything. The file size goes down, but the whole point of making pixel art disappears.

When I see people using my pixel art mechs in their sig, but saved as .jpeg with a bunch of different filters and colouring tools, I feel like I just gave someone a bunch of flowers, and they used it as salad for their hamburger. Which is cool. But not quite what I had in mind :)

#146 MightyBolamite

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 190 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 04:51 PM

Well, you were right, gif worked like a charm. Can't believe I forgot about that format, guess I always associate it with movement.

#147 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 18 September 2014 - 06:13 PM

Something to remember as I (eventually) work on my own. >.<

#148 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 19 September 2014 - 04:22 PM

KING CRAAAAAAAB.

Most of the new ones are pretty meh, but I'm learning. =P
I kinda wanna make a Rifleman next...

Posted Image

#149 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 04:20 PM

View PostTarogato, on 19 September 2014 - 04:22 PM, said:

KING CRAAAAAAAB.

Most of the new ones are pretty meh, but I'm learning. =P
I kinda wanna make a Rifleman next...

Posted Image

Not bad :)
If you don't mind a bit of critique, I would say that it's kind of hard to get a sense of the shape from the way you've shaded the mechs. For example, the Mad Dog could easily be seen as three vertical, rectangular cubes.

It's cool to see more pixel art on this forum though. If you want to learn more about the trade, check out pixeljoint.com :)

#150 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 September 2014 - 04:40 PM

The critique is more than welcome, I've never really tried pixel art before. I'll learn much more once you eventually do your own versions of the newly released mechs so I can compare. I'm trying to copy your style as much as I can, but it proves a very challenging endeavor to work with only a palette of five colours for the chassis itself. I think that's why it's addicting.

#151 MonkeyCheese

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,045 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Australia

Posted 21 September 2014 - 12:10 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 18 September 2014 - 03:21 PM, said:

When I see people using my pixel art mechs in their sig, but saved as .jpeg with a bunch of different filters and colouring tools, I feel like I just gave someone a bunch of flowers, and they used it as salad for their hamburger. Which is cool. But not quite what I had in mind :)

Wow no need to be so bloody rude about it, not what I expected returning to this thread at all. A simply message telling me it was wrong would suffice but now that I have gone back in and looked at it anyway to respond to your ego it was not me saving it to a jpeg at all it is your mistake, the colors ARE INCORRECT in the spoiler section of your original post...

#152 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 10:53 AM

View PostMonkeyCheese, on 21 September 2014 - 12:10 AM, said:

Wow no need to be so bloody rude about it, not what I expected returning to this thread at all. A simply message telling me it was wrong would suffice but now that I have gone back in and looked at it anyway to respond to your ego it was not me saving it to a jpeg at all it is your mistake, the colors ARE INCORRECT in the spoiler section of your original post...

Sorry buddy, it wasn't intended to be rude at all :)

There's no wrong and right when it comes to art, I was just giving my preference as a pixel art hipster. Just like someone saying they don't understand how anyone can listen to music on 64 kbps MP3 files instead of vinyl. Or saying that people who drink whisky with ice don't know what the hell they're doing, because it completely messes with the flavour. That's not intended as a slight or anything personal. It's just hipsters being hipsters.

On a separate note, I'm not sure what you mean by saying that the colors are incorrect and that I've made a mistake. It's not a big deal, but I just didn't quite follow you in that regard.

Again, sorry if I've insulted you. Mea culpa.

#153 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 01 October 2014 - 09:09 AM

Been forgetting to post about my new sig.

Thanks Alistair! :D

#154 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,199 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 01 October 2014 - 01:25 PM

Now.. where are the Clan mechs? :)

#155 Kin3ticX

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,926 posts
  • LocationSalt Mines of Puglandia

Posted 09 October 2014 - 07:07 PM

Posted Image

This is what the pixel art reminds me of

#156 Darth Futuza

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 07:12 PM

This thread is beautiful.

#157 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 13 October 2014 - 04:43 AM

Finally got around to making a signature. Still needs some tuning, but I think it looks nice. Used your mechs for the first half, and you can glimpse the Rifleman on the other half, which I think is probably my best pixelmech so far.

JM6-A looks weird without a ballistic on the left arm. Not sure how to go about fixing that...

#158 Featherwood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 07:09 AM

If you do not mind a suggestion, I will throw in an idea to distinguish Clan OmniMechs somehow, for example to use old MechCommander icons style, something like that:

Posted Image

#159 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 01:58 AM

View PostFeatherwood, on 20 October 2014 - 07:09 AM, said:

If you do not mind a suggestion, I will throw in an idea to distinguish Clan OmniMechs somehow, for example to use old MechCommander icons style, something like that:

Posted Image

Those are really cool and do give me the nostalgia feels, but I definitely want people to be able to have a combination of Inner Sphere and Clan mechs in their sig (filthy mercs will often own both, you know) without some of them being transparent.

Down the line, it'd definitely be cool to have the schematic-version of all the mechs though :)

#160 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 08 November 2014 - 05:22 PM

Five new mechs. =]
Feedback/criticism is welcome. I'm not happy with the Shadowcat, the Warhammer is alright, and something is off about he Longbow. Pretty happy with the other two, though. Cauldron-Born looks better in different colour - that's in my sig.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users