Skirmish And The Ecm Griefer

189 replies to this topic

#181 EvilCow

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 01:05 AM

Even more proof that dead players should not be allowed to talk until the game is over.

#182 Rushin Roulette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 31 January 2014 - 01:27 AM

This thread is just perfect for popcorn.

All the players with so little brains who couldnt find 2 braincells to rub together to keep warm in winter wanted a play mode where they wouldnt have to think how to figure out 2 separate objectives finally got their play mode... enter Skirmish... you get teams of Assaults.... more assaults... quite a few Heavies and the lone, lost and confused Medium and a panicking light mech because he accidentally selected "Any".

If you really want to enjoy Skirmish... then get your fat behinds out of those heavies and Assaults and try something which can break the magic MWO sound barrier of 70KPH. If not... then stop crying about players who are faster and smarter than you are.

If you press launch, then you should expect to be playing for up to 15 minutes without breaking any rules such as turning traitor because your mech is tied up for this time.

#183 Wildflame

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 01:36 AM

The key question is whether it is feasible for a game mechanic to be put in place to distinguish between someone griefing by hiding, and light snipers whose role requires they spend up to a minute repositioning without engaging.

I am of the opinion that skirmish already strongly favours having a heavier drop deck, at least in my matchmaking bracket. Why should those who prefer to buck the trend by playing a counter-style to Fatlander Central be prevented from doing so by a non-combat ending timer, or a 'base' that spawns after a certain time? Best case, say a base that spawns after 10 minutes, might save 4 minutes of game time, one game in fifty, a hundred? How often is the last player a hider? I think I've seen only one in all the skirmish I've played.

Worst case, games such as the following cannot play out to their delicious conclusion thanks to a 'solution' to a very minor problem.

Posted Image

TLDR: Skirmish already favours big 'Mechs. Don't make it worse.

#184 xhrit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 976 posts
  • LocationClan Occupation Zone

Posted 23 February 2014 - 07:52 PM

View PostWildflame, on 31 January 2014 - 01:36 AM, said:

Worst case, games such as the following cannot play out to their delicious conclusion thanks to a 'solution' to a very minor problem.

Oh man, I just had one of those games...

I had to kite harder then I carry.

Posted Image

#185 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 24 February 2014 - 06:01 AM

I see how you won. our team had The MOST assists I have ever seen! That is some serious team work! You were out tonned and everything too. Great match, Were you 12 manning? I only ask cause the Assists are so evenly distributed.

#186 xhrit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 976 posts
  • LocationClan Occupation Zone

Posted 24 February 2014 - 08:14 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 24 February 2014 - 06:01 AM, said:

I see how you won. our team had The MOST assists I have ever seen! That is some serious team work! You were out tonned and everything too. Great match, Were you 12 manning? I only ask cause the Assists are so evenly distributed.

Nope. I was solo pugging.

Spent the first few minutes scouting with the allied cicada. Fell back as we made contact. Spend midgame providing EW support, covering most mechs possible with my ECM and keeping the enemy lights off our rear. I split off a few times to chase lights, but never more then the next canyon over. Took out a firestarter 1v1 in a z axis circle duel on the side of a cliff, using mostly streaks. I chose to fight there because I knew he wouldn't be able to keep his lasers on me long enough to drop me, since we were both going up and down so much. He still managed to do some serious damage to my legs, and had me down to 80%.

It was about 6 minutes in when I noticed we were getting rolled. I pulled out when I noticed it was 2v3; all 3 enemy mechs were focusing on the friendly DDC, and it was at 30%, so I just split. Spent 3 minutes circling around, getting target info. 2xPPC ac/10 Heavymetal, a one legged gauss phract, and a 2ppc, 2ac5 jager. Waited until they spread out a bit, then ambushed the heavy metal from the rear and cored him. He still managed to get some shot in - I was at 70% health.

Ran away after that, circled back around. Figured since I was almost out of missiles and I was going to have to kill them using only my lasers - might as well switch to chain fire, kite the last two into lava to even the odds.

Once they were in a nice and hot spot, I ran in point blank in a figure 8 around the last two mechs. Gauss phract died pretty easy to a few lasers in his good leg. I took a few shots, was down to about 60%.

The last mech, the Firebrand was almost at full health when I started my 1v1 against him... It was one of the hardest fights of the night. He had me to 50% when he overheated and exploded.

I win.

Edited by xhrit, 24 February 2014 - 08:22 AM.

#187 fandre

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 11:21 AM

I believe, I'm playing a whole different game all the time. I got almost every time nicely mixed teams in skirmish and had only one time a hiding light at the end. The light mech was successfully hunted down.

Skirmish is my most favorite game mode.

#188 KnowBuddy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 435 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 11:46 AM

View PostGRiPSViGiL, on 19 December 2013 - 07:58 PM, said:

I will just leave this right here:

PGI's Stance

scroll down and read Egomane's post.

I'm just going to highlight the most relevant bit here:

View PostEgomane said:

If you fight to the best of your abilites and hide when there is no way for you to win anymore, that is perfectly fine.

This thread is full of delicious tears and I-told-you-so's about a game mode so many asked for and got exactly what they wanted.

To those who agree with the OP: If you want to remove the one effective strategy that a nimble light 'Mech with long range weaponry has in this game mode, then shame on you.

Not to mention that I have seen this happen exactly zero times, and if it did, I would not be bothered in the slightest, while in my AS7-D(F) or any other 'Mech.

Edited by KnowBuddy, 24 February 2014 - 12:30 PM.

#189 GRiPSViGiL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,904 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationHillsboro, OR

Posted 24 February 2014 - 12:16 PM

View PostKnowBuddy, on 24 February 2014 - 11:46 AM, said:

I'm just going to highlight the most relevant bit here:

This thread is full of delicious tears and I-told-you-so's about a game mode so many asked for and got exactly what they wanted. If you want to remove the one effective strategy that a nimble light 'Mech with long range weaponry has in this game mode, then shame on you. Not to mention that I have seen this happen exactly zero times, and if it did, I would not be bothered in the slightest, while in my AS7-D(F) or any other 'Mech.

We share the same opinion on the matter. I have been for some time championing the right to not be dictated to by others on how anyone chooses to play as long as it is within the CoC. When I post that link from a thread I created that is what I am pointing out. If you had read the entire thread you would have clearly seen my stance. No worries though, good to see another reasonable person on this side of the argument.

#190 KnowBuddy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 435 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 12:27 PM

View PostGRiPSViGiL, on 24 February 2014 - 12:16 PM, said:

We share the same opinion on the matter. I have been for some time championing the right to not be dictated to by others on how anyone chooses to play as long as it is within the CoC. When I post that link from a thread I created that is what I am pointing out. If you had read the entire thread you would have clearly seen my stance. No worries though, good to see another reasonable person on this side of the argument.

Yep, I was quoting you to reiterate your message for clarity, not to dispute it. I realize in hindsight I failed to direct my further comments at the OP-agreed instead of yourself. I've edited my previous post to make that clearer.

I am encouraged that we still have a large number of folks around here who remember this exact discussion back when there was only Assault. "Waaah, I just want to kill stuff in the easiest way possible, all these stupid other players keep refusing to cater just to my strengths and they are using strategeez!!!one!11oneoneone!"

Edited by KnowBuddy, 24 February 2014 - 12:31 PM.

70 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 70 guests, 0 anonymous users