81 replies to this topic

#1 Dazzer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 216 posts
  • LocationSpain next to Gibraltar

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:29 AM

does anyone find the Wolverines and Griffins disappointing ?

I find my Hunchbacks and Cents are better. I know I/we still have to learn they little ways but so far I find them very disappointing.

ALso whats with all the hard point on one side thus screaming ´strip me , strip me !´

How about a nice balanced Medium mech , or is that too much to ask ?

Any way your thoughts on the Wolverines and Griffins and Griffins would be appreciated.

#2 Bront

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:33 AM

I don't own any, but I wasn't expecting them to blow anything away. Not a lot of hard points and not in great locations IMHO. Doesn't mean they won't be fun, and I saw a few folks being very effective with 3LL griffins.

#3 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:35 AM

No, not disappointing. They are pretty good, but they are still medium mechs and as such, they demand a certain play style to be most effective. They definitely aren't "do it all" mechs.

That said, I've had better luck with ranged builds, so use so try to use PPCs, LLs, and LRMs.

#4 Kommandant Irusk

Rookie

• 9 posts
  • LocationMother Khador

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:42 AM

To me, the Wolvies look like a right handed Shadowhawk, except it's best weapon is always in a hand that gets blown off.

The energy weapon in the head can never be more than a "one slot" choice, i.e. small, medium or pulse only.

Underwhelming.

#5 juxstapo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts
  • Locationmy Tier is bigger than yours.

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:50 AM

Lovin' em. Wasn't a big damage soak player in mediums (never ran Cents), but with a std engine (something else I never do), I frequently finish matches with less than 20% of a Griffen. Yes, they are lopsided, but I'm having fun and putting out good numbers in 'em, rest of the Corsairs report similiar.

#6 Gunnr75

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationSt Louis

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:52 AM

I enjoy them both - but 95% of my time has been in the griffin so far.
Find their speed and agility make them great flankers and hitAndFade machines.
Have had a ton of fun running an erll/erppc with a bunch of srms.
Stay at range hitting and flanking with the erll/erppc and then when the enemy has some damage swoop in and blast with the srms

#7 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:35 AM

I see the Shadowhawk as a "flying Hunchback" - big ballistics on a shoulder mount, but it flies.

The Wolverine seems like a "flying Centurion" - arm-mounted main weapons with some zombie potential, but it flies.

The Griffin is harder to pin down - maybe a flying Kintaro, or what the Trenchbucket could have been?

They seem pretty good overall. Maybe not quite as good as the Shadowhawk, but since that is by far the best Medium in the game at the moment, being "slight worse" than best is still a good place to be. And, as always, certain mechs work better for certain playstyles.

Edited by oldradagast, 19 December 2013 - 11:37 AM.

#8 juxstapo

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 12:19 PM

oR nailed it.

Shawk is meta-tastic, competitive rank worthy with that high ballistics mount + jets.

Griff is showing me what I've missed by not playing zombie cents.

Might succumb to the tempation to XL the Wolverine. At least the arm-cannon one.

#9 FerrolupisXIII

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 502 posts
  • LocationCatapult Cockpit

Posted 19 December 2013 - 12:21 PM

im loving my Griffon, haven't tried the Wolverine yet. the griffon fits my style perfectly.

#10 LauLiao

• 1,591 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 19 December 2013 - 12:40 PM

Haven't run it a lot, but I like the squatter stature of the Wolverine. Size/scale-wise it's more what I think a medium should look like instead of the Shadowhawk and Griffin that are basically the size of Heavies.

#11 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 19 December 2013 - 12:46 PM

the primary wolverine is a beast. probably the best mech in the pack, and it has it's advantages (like jumpjets) over a centurion, plus it is incredibly fast with unique hardpoints. I'm currently running it with 3 SRM 4, AC/10 and MLaser and have averaged 500dmg up to 750 tops so far in about 10 matches.

The griffin Primary is terrible. I understand PGI doesnt want hero mechs to be OP, but giving us the worst possible variant isnt so hot either. I havent had any luck in any of the griffins yet really.

really do love the wolverine though.

Sadly much of this is due to tonnages & ballistics being so powerful right now. Skirmish especially is basically hvy/assault warrior online now, and outside the odd stray light or a lucky drop anything under 65 tons is struggling right now in that environment. I've seen matches with 6 atlai, 3 stalkers and 1-2 medium mechs, and it's very hard for a lone medium or 2 to do well without tonnage limits when nearly everything you fight is almost twice your tonnage.

#12 GT Hawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 204 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 01:28 PM

To be hoenst I love the shadowhawk, and I am loving the wolverine. Mind you the 4 energy in one arl (7k me things) is annoying to build on). but overall the 6r with a ac10, 3 streeks and a ml has been pumping out amazing damage. Still tweaking but its been a lot of fun.

The griffen I have not tried but my plan is long range builds to stick with griffin style. Wolverine was meant to be a work horse design as per lore and so far I am doing that.

#13 Madara Uchiha

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 166 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 01:48 PM

Havent even tried the wolverines yet..i like the griffins though, for some reason i cant make the prime varient work very well though..not sure what else to try.

#14 Bhelogan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 328 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 19 December 2013 - 01:51 PM

I would say, they are no ShadowHawks, but they aren't terrible. I have not run the Wolverine's yet, but the Griffins are OK. They seem to go down a lot faster than my SDH. I do like the retro look of the cockpit in them. I also really how the cockpit is mostly glass, so you can look out just about everywhere.

#15 AlphaToaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 19 December 2013 - 01:59 PM

I love the Shadowhawks (all of them). At first I looked at the hard points on these new mechs and wasn't happy. After spending some time getting some of the unlocks I noticed a couple significant advantages that both the Wolverine and Griffon have over the Shadowhawk.

1) Field of view. Tired of feeling like you are looking out through the slit in a mailbox? Try the new mechs. I believe possibly has the best field of view of any mech in the game. Something near 80% of your screen is outside cockpit view. Very little crossbar and dash in the way.

2) Torso twist. On the new mechs, you have a noticeably wider twist arc over the Shadowhawks.

3) Scale. The mechs are scaled very well. I don't feel like I'm in a large mech when I pilot them.

I'm sure there's more advantages but these are the 3 main ones.

They are great support mechs and even double as capable light hunters with the right variant.

#16 Nehkrosis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 772 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 02:00 PM

naw, theyre totally ****** beast.

i myself dont have them, but ive tried them on my friends account, and frankly there amazing.

He's not totally 100% on the wolverines yet, but he LOVES the griffins.

#17 lashropa

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 190 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA

Posted 19 December 2013 - 02:03 PM

I like the drastic difference of opinion on these chassis. On paper I was a little underwhelmed by the Griffin, but I liked the way it looked so I gave it a go. Gotta say I'm in love. Not only does it fill the role of several mechs in my stable allowing me to free up some mechbays but its cocpit view and sounds are just my style. It's instantly one of my favories and might become my #1 once I master it.

#18 juxstapo

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 02:24 PM

View PostColonel Pada Vinson, on 19 December 2013 - 12:46 PM, said:

The griffin Primary is terrible. I understand PGI doesnt want hero mechs to be OP, but giving us the worst possible variant isnt so hot either. I havent had any luck in any of the griffins yet really.

View PostMadara Uchiha, on 19 December 2013 - 01:48 PM, said:

for some reason i cant make the prime varient work very well though..not sure what else to try.

It's not "ideal" per se, but where I found my chi in the 1N(P) was a 295std, 2x LrgLas, 1 Medium. 1 jet. Max armor, Endo, fill the leftover tonnage with DHS. Play it like an undergunned Wang, i.e. torso twist / jump turn like madd. Utterly surprised at the end result damage.
Which honestly, my primary contribution is being an in-the-face distraction. Wish they awarded XP for damage taken.

#19 Helmer

• Stone Cold
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ga

Posted 19 December 2013 - 02:31 PM

With the lopsided hardpoints I would have bet that both the majority of the Wolverine and Griffin variants would have been hated and DOA.

Also figured people would hate the look of the new HPG map.

Yep, I'm 0/2 this patch. Guess it goes to show I should never bet anyone anything at anytime.

Cheers.

#20 storm0545

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 94 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 02:40 PM

lol I feel like an ***** then at this point with the wolverine and Griffin. I stripped out the jump jets in all of the varients and more or less just loaded for bear with guns and ammo.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users