Jump to content

Wolverines And Griffins Disappointing ?


81 replies to this topic

#61 C E Dwyer

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,187 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 30 December 2013 - 03:13 PM

no I think they're fine , best of the pheonix its the others i'm disapointed with they either play poorly or look poor

#62 DrnkJawa

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 485 posts
  • LocationIn an urbie aiming at your crotch

Posted 30 December 2013 - 03:15 PM

View PostCathy, on 30 December 2013 - 03:13 PM, said:

no I think they're fine , best of the pheonix its the others i'm disapointed with they either play poorly or look poor

I can agree on that, the Thunderbolt i kinda consider to be a bad joke, a medium can do anything better than it can

#63 codynyc

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 318 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Locationda Bronx

Posted 30 December 2013 - 03:22 PM

this thread is full of medium love.. Never thought i see the day. As a med and light only pilot I love the griffin. Speed is life. drop a xl 360 in a grif-1np hitting 117 .Add 1 jj then load it with 3 streaks 1 ll and 2 ml.Plus bap and you got yourself a great light killer.

#64 DistantThunder

    Member

  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 03:38 PM

Why did they introduce "Hard Point"? I find it limits our creative mind in arranging the weapons. Just give us the certain number of weapons slots and leave it to us to chose what weapons we use.

#65 Arnold J Rimmer

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 892 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 02:29 AM

View PostDistantThunder, on 30 December 2013 - 03:38 PM, said:

Why did they introduce "Hard Point"? I find it limits our creative mind in arranging the weapons. Just give us the certain number of weapons slots and leave it to us to chose what weapons we use.

They didn't introduce hard points. I think having them is better than not, though, remembering back to 12-machinegun Striders in MW3. It also helps provide a 'flavour' to different chassis - this mech for lasers and SRM's, this one for cannon and missiles, etc.

#66 The Unknown Pilot

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationBehind you

Posted 01 January 2014 - 08:11 PM

View PostAutobot9000, on 19 December 2013 - 03:11 PM, said:

Can't wait to try this out

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...8e0aee4951d0d25
ERPPC, 4xSSRM2, 7 JJs and 350XL

Looks also cool
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...0d94a395939dae8
PPC 3xSPL ALRM20 7JJs and 275XL



Your first one tweaked for me:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...3b01e911d311690

#67 Amsro

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,363 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 01 January 2014 - 08:24 PM

I've had success with all 6 mechs, I'm enjoying all my new medium mechs! :rolleyes:

Griffin
Wolverine
Shadowhawk
Trebuchet

None have let me down yet! ;)

#68 aakek

    Member

  • Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:15 AM

Personally I have been running the Wolverine 6R like a Cent 9A with JJ to great success.

#69 NRP

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,947 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:25 AM

I am basically useless to my team in one of the Saber mechs. For whatever reason, I'm just not effective in them. I can only do well if I have good teammates who do most of the heavy lifting, and since I solo PUG 99.5% of the time, that means . . . well, you get the picture. The Saber pack has been a disappointment to me.

I am much more useful to my team when I'm in a light, a heavy, or an assault.

#70 rdmgraziel

    Member

  • PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 91 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:58 AM

They're not Shadowhawks (which I still think are the BEST Mediums at the moment) but they're good. I was expecting the Griffin to be decent-to-good based on how well the Shadowhawk performed, and it was more or less what I expected although the side torsos are definitely more distinct. The Wolverine I expected nothing good from and it performs as well/better than the Griffin, which was a nice suprise. I've found a few shining builds on a couple variants that are performing drastically over the other ones though.

Griffin 1N(P) Inconsistent results with a variety of builds, fun though.

Griffin 1S I treat like a 55 ton CN9-AL with a bigger engine and jumpjets. I have no idea why, but it's been super effective, go figure.

Griffin 3M Inconsistent results unless I just throw a massive engine in it and use it as a streak boat. Super fun with 4 ALRM5's, but super reliant on a number of factors (team comp, people spotting, minimum enemy ECM and AMS, that sort of thing).

Wolverine 6R is FANTASTIC. I've found it to be super effective. I threw a brawler build on it, SRMs and all, and I just treat it like its namesake, latching on to larger things, ripping them a new one and never letting go until they're dead.

Wolverine 6K seems to only work for me when I can use it as a fast, backstabbing Striker, letting it slag rear armor. As a result though, it's inconsistent and team reliant.

Wolverine 7K has been highly inconsistent, but that's probably because I try to brawl with it, and the split missile hardpoints don't really help it given how iffy SRMs are. I'm open to suggestions on how to make it better; maybe LRM30?

Your results may vary. I admit openly though that my preferred playstyle is brawling, so I may not be thinking outside the box enough and/or I'm just flat out BAD at acting as LRM support. SSRMs I generally don't care for since they feel less effective against the Heavies/Assaults that dominate the meta. Damage all over the place just works better on targets that have lower armor values from the get go, although they do make it look like you did a whole lot in the end screens.

Edited by rdmgraziel, 02 January 2014 - 09:59 AM.


#71 Myomes

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 10:09 AM

View PostDazzer, on 19 December 2013 - 09:29 AM, said:

does anyone find the Wolverines and Griffins disappointing ?

I find my Hunchbacks and Cents are better. I know I/we still have to learn they little ways but so far I find them very disappointing.

ALso whats with all the hard point on one side thus screaming ´strip me , strip me !´

How about a nice balanced Medium mech , or is that too much to ask ?

Any way your thoughts on the Wolverines and Griffins and Griffins would be appreciated.

View PostDazzer, on 19 December 2013 - 09:29 AM, said:

does anyone find the Wolverines and Griffins disappointing ?

I find my Hunchbacks and Cents are better. I know I/we still have to learn they little ways but so far I find them very disappointing.

ALso whats with all the hard point on one side thus screaming ´strip me , strip me !´

How about a nice balanced Medium mech , or is that too much to ask ?

Any way your thoughts on the Wolverines and Griffins and Griffins would be appreciated.


1. maybe learn to torso roll. You think Atlases with their AC20 have it easy?
2. they're not SUPER mechs. a griffin is a medium mech, and a wolverine is as well. Are you expecting to go toe to toe with assaults? That's nonsense.

Maybe you're finding medium mechs have less firepower and armor than you'd like. Ever try a 1 PPC 1 AC5 1 SRM 2 treb? Just because you get a mech on special before everyone else can get it doesnt maker it "super amazing". it's still bound to the rules of tonnage and weapon selection just like everything else.

I can't believe this thread is even a thing. If you want easily stripped weapon complaints, try a victor or centurion. Most of the weapon stripping problem is player control anyway.

#72 Fang01

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 993 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 02 January 2014 - 10:10 AM

View Postrdmgraziel, on 02 January 2014 - 09:58 AM, said:

They're not Shadowhawks (which I still think are the BEST Mediums at the moment) but they're good. I was expecting the Griffin to be decent-to-good based on how well the Shadowhawk performed, and it was more or less what I expected although the side torsos are definitely more distinct. The Wolverine I expected nothing good from and it performs as well/better than the Griffin, which was a nice suprise. I've found a few shining builds on a couple variants that are performing drastically over the other ones though.

Griffin 1N(P) Inconsistent results with a variety of builds, fun though.

Griffin 1S I treat like a 55 ton CN9-AL with a bigger engine and jumpjets. I have no idea why, but it's been super effective, go figure.

Griffin 3M Inconsistent results unless I just throw a massive engine in it and use it as a streak boat. Super fun with 4 ALRM5's, but super reliant on a number of factors (team comp, people spotting, minimum enemy ECM and AMS, that sort of thing).

Wolverine 6R is FANTASTIC. I've found it to be super effective. I threw a brawler build on it, SRMs and all, and I just treat it like its namesake, latching on to larger things, ripping them a new one and never letting go until they're dead.

Wolverine 6K seems to only work for me when I can use it as a fast, backstabbing Striker, letting it slag rear armor. As a result though, it's inconsistent and team reliant.

Wolverine 7K has been highly inconsistent, but that's probably because I try to brawl with it, and the split missile hardpoints don't really help it given how iffy SRMs are. I'm open to suggestions on how to make it better; maybe LRM30?

Your results may vary. I admit openly though that my preferred playstyle is brawling, so I may not be thinking outside the box enough and/or I'm just flat out BAD at acting as LRM support. SSRMs I generally don't care for since they feel less effective against the Heavies/Assaults that dominate the meta. Damage all over the place just works better on targets that have lower armor values from the get go, although they do make it look like you did a whole lot in the end screens.



Wvr 7k. xl 295 or 300, 3 srm6 with artemis, 3 mlas. Aim for the legs :lol:

#73 Myomes

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 12:39 PM

View PostDrnkJawa, on 30 December 2013 - 03:15 PM, said:

I can agree on that, the Thunderbolt i kinda consider to be a bad joke, a medium can do anything better than it can


Oh, I know you didn't just insult my thunderbaby!

Stock configs are light long range support to full on brawler, massive armor on them too. If you want more bite, swap to DHS and sit at 10-12, shed a ton or two of armor, and you can bring those medium lasers up to large lasers or even PPCs.

#74 DrnkJawa

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 485 posts
  • LocationIn an urbie aiming at your crotch

Posted 02 January 2014 - 12:41 PM

View PostMyomes, on 02 January 2014 - 12:39 PM, said:


Oh, I know you didn't just insult my thunderbaby!

Stock configs are light long range support to full on brawler, massive armor on them too. If you want more bite, swap to DHS and sit at 10-12, shed a ton or two of armor, and you can bring those medium lasers up to large lasers or even PPCs.

just paint a huge red bullseye on your thunderbaby that says shoot me

#75 Myomes

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 12:42 PM

View PostAmsro, on 01 January 2014 - 08:24 PM, said:

I've had success with all 6 mechs, I'm enjoying all my new medium mechs! :lol:

Griffin
Wolverine
Shadowhawk
Trebuchet

None have let me down yet! :lol:


I RARELY see people use the Treb, mostly because it's a gimpy Catapult. If it were me, I'd abuse it's speed to get into a better LRM position. From the side and behind a hill. They cant duck behind a hill to avoid being hit, and they can't see or shoot you. Requires spotters, though. Could even do it yourself if the main force is grabbing their attention. The 7K treb is just cute.

#76 Geist Null

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationNE PA USA

Posted 02 January 2014 - 12:42 PM

they fit my playstyle fine. backline/flanking mechs with a large amount of mobility to get over hills and buildings as your rain long range firepower into the enemy. if your trying to stand and deliver or worse, facehug, your in for a bad time in a 55ton mech.

#77 Myomes

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 12:43 PM

View PostDrnkJawa, on 02 January 2014 - 12:41 PM, said:

just paint a huge red bullseye on your thunderbaby that says shoot me


lol, if that's what you think. It's nice to roll over people using it.

#78 rdmgraziel

    Member

  • PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 91 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 01:29 PM

View PostKhajja nar Jatargk, on 02 January 2014 - 10:10 AM, said:


Wvr 7k. xl 295 or 300, 3 srm6 with artemis, 3 mlas. Aim for the legs ;)


I did that with a larger engine, the split SRMs aren't dense enough which makes them even LESS reliable than usual. Multiple SRMs work better if it's one torso with all the hardpoints being close, so it's a denser cloud due to the fact that if one hits, they ALL explode, and they don't do splash damage anymore, and I think the explosion actually hits a bit away from the target or something? SRMs are really weird, mechanically.

#79 Shiro Matsumoto

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 492 posts
  • Locationon "The island"

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:41 AM

I like both. The Griffin pilots very well & agile... and sounds perfect, also one of pre prettiest cockpits.
Not perfect weapon load in the basic model though (all onesided).

Wolverine with 3 Med lasers and 3 SRM6 quickly becomes a favorite... but yes both go better with ranged stuff rather than brawling.

Guess i have to try a few builds i used on Trebs.. when i ever have Cbills again..

#80 Sephlock

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,802 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 01:19 AM

They're nice light hunters, at least.

It's just that there is a bit of a vendetta against missile weapons...





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users