• LocationBehind you...in a locust

Posted 26 September 2014 - 07:31 AM

I started using it with:
2xgauss
2xERLL
4xERML
VII targeting computer
BAP

The good thing about this build is that you get instant target info, so you know exactly where to aim that dual gauss. You have high pinpoint damage, and extreme ranges, but may come up short if the enemy gets close, since you have low DPS.

The current build I use is a lot simpler (if the other build was a sophisticated sniper rifle, this one is a club with a lump):
4XUAC5
2XUAC2

'Nuff said. It's like killing kittens with a chainsaw. No matter what gets in front of you, this build eats it up in a matter of seconds.

"I call it : The ex-wife." :D

Edited by JaniTheWeedman, 26 September 2014 - 07:32 AM.

#62 Kain Demos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 26 September 2014 - 08:35 AM

If you don't mind running very hot I'm running the following on my "B" right now:

I put the "Prime" Right Arm on it.

2 x CLPL
6 x CERML
2 x CGAUSS

Capable of 95.2 PP damage. Firing all the lasers at once gives me 60-70% heat though so careful management must come into play. I've instapopped a few CTs with this though, fun stuff. I'm also surprised when someone holds up to it.

I put 1 of the pulse lasers and 3 of the medium lasers in each arm and group them accordingly.

Edited by Kain Thul, 26 September 2014 - 08:36 AM.

#63 Worgan

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 1 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 28 September 2014 - 04:31 AM

Hello,

I recently bought a DWF-Prime and I'd like your opinion on my build to improve it. I tried to do something effective medium and long-distance thing. I'm still a newbie so be gentle :)

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d6dff496307d7e6

I also thought of installing the u/ac20, what do you think ?

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c173e93e78a656a

Please forgive my poor English.

#64 Samziel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seraph
  • The Seraph
  • 536 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 05 October 2014 - 03:01 AM

2x LRM15, 3x ERPPC and 4x MPL. Works like a charm on maps with long ranges, but dear god if you drop into terra therma or a map without visibility.

Another that I like is either 5x LBX-5 and 8 small lasers or just 6x LBX-5. Firing them in a burst is fun, and sure as hell makes the opponent spill their coffee.

Edited by Samziel, 05 October 2014 - 03:03 AM.

#65 Mercer Skye

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 248 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 06:21 AM

4x Lb10x and 4x ERMlas. Simple, and to the point, no ghost heat, and makes things melt. Not a lot in the range department, but smart maneuvering and a decent team will keep you alive to bring it to bear.

#66 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 07 October 2014 - 06:39 AM

So, two builds I'm debating.

Build one: Click here
Weapon grouping:
Spoiler

Build two: Click here
Build two Alt. B: Click Here
Weapon grouping:
Spoiler

I only have five function group triggers for the record. Heat is also of little concern to me, I run hot builds all the time and am good at managing my fire. Thoughts? Comments?

Edited by DavidHurricane, 07 October 2014 - 06:40 AM.

#67 MisterPlanetarian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 910 posts
  • LocationStockholm

Posted 07 October 2014 - 12:39 PM

I'd run this to be honest: DWF - Gauss

I don't see the purpose or benefit of mixing LBX/UAC and Gauss on the same build. Even if you can fit it tonnage wise it makes for an ineffective machine overall.

If you want to use UAC10's or something then try this: DWF - UAC10

#68 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 07 October 2014 - 04:22 PM

View PostMisterPlanetarian, on 07 October 2014 - 12:39 PM, said:

I'd run this to be honest: DWF - Gauss

I don't see the purpose or benefit of mixing LBX/UAC and Gauss on the same build. Even if you can fit it tonnage wise it makes for an ineffective machine overall.

If you want to use UAC10's or something then try this: DWF - UAC10

Thing is, I want the Gauss for range (I just love the gauss for some reason, I can't really figure out why). I also want some of the Dakka UACs provide. The LBX was just for a bit of splat, but I can see what you mean so I'm not really going for it any more.

That lowers it down to two builds.

Build one: Click here
Build two: Click here
Build two Alt. B: Click Here

I really like build one because it is good at most of the ranges I fight at. On the other hand, I think build two offers a nice bit of firepower even though it doesn't have any missiles.

#69 MisterPlanetarian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 910 posts
  • LocationStockholm

Posted 08 October 2014 - 03:00 AM

Build one if thats the case.

Here's an option that I've ran before:

DWF-Heavy Dakka.

This ******* produces and extreme amount of DPS with low heat generation at 400ish meters but can still poke out to around 500ish reliably. Double Gauss + Beam lasers are the cream of the crop but try this out if you want something a little different.

UAC20 can be replaced with a Gauss rifle or LB20X if you so please.

Edited by MisterPlanetarian, 08 October 2014 - 03:02 AM.

#70 Moonlander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 684 posts
  • LocationCocoa Beach, FL

Posted 08 October 2014 - 04:09 AM

This is what I always use. It has netted me a better K/D/A as well as the most match wins. You need good support tho. Having said that, I almost exclusively solo drop for the most part. As with any build tho, as a Dire Wolf you either get picked of fairly quick or your group sticks with you and you're able to push the enemy back and continuously lay down firepower. The screenshots below are a great example of teamwork in a pug. I had great support.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Moonlander, 08 October 2014 - 04:11 AM.

#71 Dead Funny

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 03:20 PM

Same as Mercer Skye..

4xlb10x + 4xML. = Death Star (one day). I have a 8 kill, average about 4 when I try. And I'm not very good :).

Small Mec's are funny (not like in my ATLAS), its just about fast enough to rotate and catch them. I have taken out a new small in 1 shot, but normal takes 3 half contact hits (10 sec). I have taken out `me` v 2 100% ATLAS and went on to kill a 100% DW and others in 1 game. 1v1 its a beast, I don't think anything can beat it. Just play smart and keep cover, up to 350m. Even better on a hot map, due to almost 0 heat (I run with 0 HS).

Also 2xlb20x + 2 x SRM (or 30 LRM) + 2 LL, is OK for a bit of long range and close range boom.

Edited by Dead Funny, 08 October 2014 - 11:51 PM.

#72 O F F - W H I T E

• PipPip
  • Clan Exemplar
  • Clan Exemplar
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 09:06 AM

I'm a dakka guy, i just love the sound of ACs. So i did a 6xAC5 build for my DWF-Prime. 1 AC5 in each arm, 2 in each side torso. I chain fire all side torso AC5s. So what happens is i have literally a nonstop flow of AC5 pummeling the poor target.

#73 Revis Volek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 09 October 2014 - 09:20 AM

DWF-B (with appropriate Omnipods)

1x U-A/C 20 (Right Arm)
3x U-A/C 5 (Left Arm, RT and LT)
3x Er Med Lasers (RT, LT and CT)

Rest is Ammo for the 20 and the 5's. Will shoot the 5's more since they cool down faster but 20 is the finisher!

Double tap the hell out the 5's and just every 4-5 seconds slam on that 20 and watch mechs start to resemble Swiss cheese.

#74 Tremendous Upside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 738 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 07:10 PM

View PostDarthRevis, on 09 October 2014 - 09:20 AM, said:

DWF-B (with appropriate Omnipods)

1x U-A/C 20 (Right Arm)
3x U-A/C 5 (Left Arm, RT and LT)
3x Er Med Lasers (RT, LT and CT)

Rest is Ammo for the 20 and the 5's. Will shoot the 5's more since they cool down faster but 20 is the finisher!

Double tap the hell out the 5's and just every 4-5 seconds slam on that 20 and watch mechs start to resemble Swiss cheese.

I run similar builds on my two primes. Either 4ERMLs, 2GRs, 1UAC20 or 4ERMLs, 2UAC10s, and a UAC20. Brutal firepower - especially if you can catch an angle on a target that's flat-footed or isn't looking straight at you.

#75 Xythius

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 343 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 06:44 AM

My current two favorite builds are:

DWF-Prime
RA - LBX-10, 4 MPLS
LA - LBX-10, 4MPLS
RT/LT - 2 add'l DHS & 5 tons LBX ammo
It runs a bit hot, but I have the two groups of MPLS on chain fire & that helps me manage the heat pretty well. One alpha will core pretty much anything medium & up & if I manage to get a CT shot on a light, it's done. However, you only get one of these @ any given time, as that will put you @ ~75% heat.

DWF-B
RA/LA - LBX-20's
RT/LT - LBX-10's
3.5 tons LBX20 ammo, 2.5 tons LBX10 ammo.
I had to remove a few tons of armor from the rear & legs to get enough ammo to make it viable, so I have to play a bit conservatively, both due to less armor & relatively low ammo, but you when you get to the front lines, you'll be blowing mechs apart left & right.

~Xythius

#76 UnsafePilot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 07:12 AM

Didn't read the thread so this might be repeating someone else but my favorite so far is 2xCUAC10, 6xCERML, 2xCLPL, TC1. fire the lasers in two groups of 3xCERML+1xCLPL and the double tens as the third. Can alpha from a 0 heat start but will red line on most maps.

#77 Carthoo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 171 posts
  • LocationPrague

Posted 13 October 2014 - 03:51 PM

For all those who want to start with Dire Wolf, and for nabs like me (we can't all be superpilots], who cant use gauss to full efect, or cant use xx weapons group, I have my most money/kill/joy making Daishi.

DWF-B "Ravager"

Pros:
  • No need to change omnipods (got bonus, tho B version doesnt have much)
  • Relatively cheap
  • Easy to get used to
  • Only 2 weapon types
  • Overheat danger only when too much trigger-madness - easily to content by shooting only one side till DW cool itself
  • 2x cmplas can take out lights leg in 2 direct hits (so you dont waste your ammo) - also good, if you live too long and run out of ammo (happened to me twice with this setup - games posted below)
  • 5x c-uac5 is chainsaw and can destroy almost anything
Cons:
  • c-uac5 is to full use to 674 meters (with module) - means every ERLL boat, ppc guys and multi-gauss guys will tear you to shredds, if you meet them in the open (simply dont go in the center of Alpine Peaks)
  • Can't think of any more :)
Now, its clear that when you buy your first Daishi, you are probably out of cash. But its good to exp and buy both modules for c-uac 5 - cooldown and range. Helps much more than I thought.

----------------------------------------------------------

Also quick guide how to use this baby:
  • You are not immortal - in fact you are big, fat target (primary target, truth be told) without ams or ecm protection. Also slow one. Move in the reach of rocks/ houses/ tunnels - lrm rain can turn you to dust in no time.
  • Your weaponry is powerfull, but even one good light pilot can and WILL destroy ya. Ask for some "sidekick" - med/ heavy are best option - ecm more than welcome
  • Do not attack multiple mechs at once - you can take ANY single mech face2face (except double LBX20/ c-uac20 and quadro 10 version of these - and thats only if they can aim through your iron rain) - but even two meds can shoot your torso very fast - and with half of your weaponry gone, youre only slow med guy.
  • After you get speed tweak, do try to outmaneuver enemy and come from unexpected direction - 1-4 seconds of your fire in the back of ANY mech kill it.
  • Learn to aim on walking/ running mechs to hit them - your fire isnt instant, bullets take time to reach the target.
  • Make 4 weapon groups. Both c-uac5 sides, lasers and hand/s.

Also missing c-uac5 (from usual 6xcuac5 with 810 ammo builds) gives more freedom in setup. Im using 2x clan medium pulse laser, coz I like them more and this build suits me. Yet you can easily mod this in many ways - instead my 2xcmpls you can use 3x cerml + heatsink; add more ammo, add 1 c-erll for range or use some equipment like probe/ targ. comp (when they start working), tag for teamplay....etc. Its up to you, but I strongly recommend using my build or 3x cerml + heatsink.

Hope this helps. And btw I am bad pilot, my stats are so red, that even Ferrari looks blue compared to it, but here you got some examples of my wins (the first one i absolute record) and one loss to show what can "Ravager" do, with one supporting mech and useless team.

Examples of its abilities:

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

And mentioned todays loss...

Posted ImagePosted Image

I had also lots of games, where I did like 30 dmg and die. It happens - you can make a bad move, you can run into whole enemy team....even Dire Wolf can die in 2 seconds.

BUT PLEASE, DO NOT BE COWARDS! DO NOT CAMP BEHIND YOUR TEAM IN CORNER!

You've got DPS that would make Kerensky proudly weep!

THERE ISN'T ANYTHING MORE SAD, THAN DIRE WOLF COWARDING BEHIND MEDIUM MECHS!

Edited by Carthoo, 14 October 2014 - 05:29 AM.

#78 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 14 October 2014 - 06:39 AM

So, here is smy attempt at a similar concept. I shoot for more ammunition and backup weapons.

DWF-B Dakkawolf.

#79 Carthoo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 171 posts
  • LocationPrague

Posted 14 October 2014 - 11:30 AM

As I said, Im nab, David - but thats why I think my setup is best for rookies. I tried what you put in in many variants - but more lasers means problems with heat - so dps is not sustainable. And since you have to cool yourself (not fire lasers), any 6x cuac5 will get you. 2-3 lasers is max - my setup has 1,45 heat dissipation, while changing my pulse meds for 3 er meds+heatsink has 1,28 - which is too low for sustained fire. Thats why I run only 2 pulse meds. Another 2 games with 150+ match score/ 1200+ dmg right now.

Been running similar build which you put in, in my DW prime...and man, poor beast will never get out of red numbers. Im afraid multi weps Dire wolf needs skilled player (at least more than i am) - or playing in lance.

#80 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 14 October 2014 - 11:54 AM

True, but only if you treat the lasers as a primary weapon. They are meant for when (not if, when) you run out of ammunition.

18 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 18 guests, 0 anonymous users