Dire Wolf Builds

155 replies to this topic

#21 101011

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationSector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, on a small blue-green planet orbiting a small, unregarded yellow sun.

Posted 01 January 2014 - 07:48 PM

View PostAlekzander Smirnoff, on 19 December 2013 - 07:48 PM, said:

From what I've read, all equipment (engine, armor, structure, #heatsinks) is currently NOT changable in the design phase at the moment. (Subject to change of course.) Honestly, clan tech is NOT going to be anything like BT lore, it just won't work in MWO. So I really doubt you'll get two UAC20's let alone four UAC10's on a single mech, and if you do, you'd be better off fitting standard AC's in that quantity.

But the Clan UACs are lighter than their IS standard equivalents. Oh, and we don't actually have those primitive standard variants, so that's another thing. There are 'mechs that come with dual UAC20's, as well. Hunchback IIC, anyone?

#22 ExplodedZombie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 338 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA, U.S.A.

Posted 06 January 2014 - 01:25 PM

It also corners like a cruise ship.

#23 NRP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 January 2014 - 01:30 PM

View PostExplodedZombie, on 06 January 2014 - 01:25 PM, said:

It also corners like a cruise ship.

I hope at least one of the Dire Wolf variants has jump jets.

Please . . Please . . Please!

#24 davoodoo

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 06:23 PM

View PostNRP, on 06 January 2014 - 01:30 PM, said:

I hope at least one of the Dire Wolf variants has jump jets.

Please . . Please . . Please!

100 tons of death jumping like a bunny?? funny sight indeed but not happening

As for build itself i will try to fit 8 ppcs in prime variant just for teh lulz.

Edited by davoodoo, 11 January 2014 - 06:07 AM.

#25 Deathsythe

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 9 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationRichmond, Virginia

Posted 11 April 2014 - 07:27 PM

LOL My Dire Wolf setup was nothing if a complete death trap both for my enemy and me. The only way I wouldn't self detonate while performing a alpha strike was if I crouched my mech in the nearest body of water and even then if I wasn't performing an alpha strike I still had to sit in the water because my heat sinks couldn't cool the mech fast enough. If I remember my DW had 2x Clan ER PPCs, 4x Clan ER Large Lasers, 2x Clan ER Medium Lasers, 2x Clan ER Short Lasers, 1x Clan LBX 20, 1x Clan LRM 10, Laser AMS, Clan Ferro Armor plating, 6x Clan Heatsinks, and the slowest, lightest engine to spare tonnage for it all. But damned if it won't a walking Death Machine that made my enemies wish they hadn't met me on the battlefield. I would kill an Atlas 100T assult mech in 3 alpha strikes and for anything less than an assult mech I would kill it with one shot of just the PPCs and Large Lasers alone.

#26 WonderSparks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 909 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC, Canada

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:09 PM

Guys, I have perhaps the most powerfully useless Dire Wolf load-out ever... I did the math, and it -is- doable.

Stuff the darn thing with four Gauss Rifles. You'll only have 2.5 tons to spare after that, but think of the damage you could do with just a couple shots... :)

#27 Reported for Inappropriate Name

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,767 posts
  • LocationAmericlap

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:21 PM

View PostNRP, on 19 December 2013 - 01:23 PM, said:

I don't know anything about lore, so I don't know if the Direwolf is a good mech or not, but it is a 100T assault and if clan weapons are as mean as people say, this mech should be a good time.

there will be no reason to drive inner sphere when clan mechs come.

#28 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:51 PM

From this list, I foresee making a lot of 6 ballistic builds.

#29 MisterPlanetarian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 910 posts
  • LocationStockholm

Posted 12 April 2014 - 09:46 AM

Slow moving mechs tend to gravitate towards ballistics because of the weight required to make it work. Mechs like the Warhawk are better suited to energy weapons than say a direwolf because they are fast enough for shoot and scoot tactics, fire a volley, back off and cool down etc.

Edited by MisterPlanetarian, 12 April 2014 - 09:46 AM.

#30 KuroNyra

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,990 posts
  • LocationIdiot's Crater.

Posted 12 April 2014 - 09:57 AM

I'll go with a Prometheus build.

Or a Widowmaker. :rolleyes:

View PostBattlecruiser, on 11 April 2014 - 09:21 PM, said:

Fake, the clan mech will be balanced in order to let the IS Mech still be able to fight them.

But I suppose you HAVEN'T read the AskDev blog?

I'm not surprised.

#31 dr bongstorm

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 46 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 10:01 AM

View PostBattlecruiser, on 11 April 2014 - 09:21 PM, said:

i am worried about this. i will be very unhappy if all of the time and real money spent is negated by the new line up. frankly, i would rather see no clan tech than unbalanced clan tech.

#32 KuroNyra

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,990 posts
  • LocationIdiot's Crater.

Posted 12 April 2014 - 10:06 AM

View Postdr bongstorm, on 12 April 2014 - 10:01 AM, said:

i am worried about this. i will be very unhappy if all of the time and real money spent is negated by the new line up. frankly, i would rather see no clan tech than unbalanced clan tech.

For buck sake. PGI already said that the clan technology will be tweaked and balanced in order to let the IS mech have a chance and not being useless.

#33 MisterPlanetarian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 910 posts
  • LocationStockholm

Posted 12 April 2014 - 10:19 AM

View Postdr bongstorm, on 12 April 2014 - 10:01 AM, said:

I am worried about this. i will be very unhappy if all of the time and real money spent is negated by the new line up. frankly, i would rather see no clan tech than unbalanced clan tech.

The problem with the IS mechs is that even when it comes to hardpoints and interchangeable armor/engines and all that the ones we have avalible are not that special. Most are "Frankenmechs" and are asymmetrical with all three weaponsystems represented.

Omnimechs are alot more streamlined and more suited for MWO with their stock loadouts. The key to balancing the clans though will be focused on regulating their firepower to make up for the gigantic weightsavings and weaponloadout flexability which are their main advantages.

#34 Armando

CookieWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 938 posts
  • LocationRaiding the Cookie Jar

Posted 13 April 2014 - 02:37 AM

View PostMisterPlanetarian, on 12 April 2014 - 10:19 AM, said:

The key to balancing the clans though will be focused on regulating their firepower to make up for the gigantic weightsavings and weaponloadout flexability which are their main advantages.

If I were PGI I would balance by matchmaker / weight limits...

Your team running 700 tons of clan mechs...your IS opponents can bring 1200 tons.
Your team running 500 tons of clan mechs...your IS opponents can bring 800 tons.

Clan might get 'better' mechs, but IS should be able to bring "more" / "bigger" mechs.

My 2 pennies

#35 Reported for Inappropriate Name

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,767 posts
  • LocationAmericlap

Posted 13 April 2014 - 01:37 PM

View PostKuroNyra, on 12 April 2014 - 09:57 AM, said:

I'll go with a Prometheus build.

Or a Widowmaker. ;)

Fake, the clan mech will be balanced in order to let the IS Mech still be able to fight them.

But I suppose you HAVEN'T read the AskDev blog?

I'm not surprised.

how they'll balance it is by saying "clan mechs can't boat as effectively and can't remove their engines"

meanwhile clan weaponry is by principal ridiculous meaning you won't have to boat a large number of identical weapons to kill quickly.

doubling hitpoints created a large weapon imbalance where the highest damage weapons kill slowly and the lowest damage weapons are not worth using. however when you have a uac20 its exactly like having two ac/20's, nevermind crap like heavy gauss ppc and lasers, or even the er variants since this game has moved away from anything close range and all the clan mechs will be fast.

the only chance that is mechs will have are shooting the things in the obnoxiously large cockpits before the drop the dps bombs. of course if this is the case then what effect has double armor really had except alienate a large chunk of weaponry from use.

#36 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 06:02 PM

View PostSquarefox, on 19 December 2013 - 11:37 AM, said:

Dire Wolf "Thunderstorm"

Center Torso of Variant A, Arms of Prime Variant:

3 * Clan Streak SRM 6 (side torso)
6 tons of ammunition

8 Clan ER Laser (large) (in both arms)

3 additional double heat sinks

I ran an Atlas BH with 5 ER large lasers. Stuffed every available slot full of double heat sinks.

Overheated a lot.

Can a direwolf dissipate the heat of 8 ER LL's? Does it have vastly superior heat dissipation to an atlas or IS mech?

#37 MisterPlanetarian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 910 posts
  • LocationStockholm

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:46 AM

View PostI Zeratul I, on 13 April 2014 - 06:02 PM, said:

I ran an Atlas BH with 5 ER large lasers. Stuffed every available slot full of double heat sinks.

Overheated a lot.

Can a direwolf dissipate the heat of 8 ER LL's? Does it have vastly superior heat dissipation to an atlas or IS mech?

25 DHS can't even keep three ERLL's from overheating in less than a minute much less 8.

The Direwolf has good heat dissapation for a mech with that much firepower though, even in the stock loadout. The reason is that clan DHS are two slots instead of three and the Dire Wolf mounts all weapons except the LRM10 in its arms, leaving plenty of critslots for DHS in the torso.

Edited by MisterPlanetarian, 14 April 2014 - 08:47 AM.

#38 Colonel Fubar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 650 posts
  • LocationPlanet Agoge in the Mitera System

Posted 21 June 2014 - 01:23 AM

I agree 100%. I didn't buy any Clan Mechs because I wanted to see exactly what was released. And as much as I would like to have four of the designs, I'm not going to buy a bunch of unbalanced jokes that are an insult to our Battletech History, just because PGI wants to rewrite it their way.

#39 C A R N A G E

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 97 posts
  • LocationTN

Posted 22 June 2014 - 09:23 AM

The DW should be feared and if you make the mistake of going head to head with anything less than a Atlas you deserve to be scrap.:-) the DW can pack some serious firepower but will fall prey to lrms if caught in the open or die to lights if left without any support.Clan mechs should have the edge over IS mechs.I'm currently running 5uacs 5s with 5er mediums it can be a dream/nightmare to run all up to if I have support or not.

#40 Great Sharpinski

Rookie

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 02:30 PM

I saw a Direwolf with four ac lbx-10 cannons in the game.awesome. I want to know what variant supports the build and will it be available for MC soon?

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users