Favorite Battletech Novel?

128 replies to this topic

#101 Psydotek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 745 posts
  • LocationClan 'Mechs? Everywhere? GOOD!

Posted 17 May 2012 - 08:14 PM

TRO 3025

#102 Belial

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 359 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 17 May 2012 - 08:19 PM

"Imminent Crisis" by Randall N. Bills is my favorite, followed closely by "Flashpoint" by Loren L. Coleman.

#103 Vulpesveritas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,003 posts
  • LocationWinsconsin, USA

Posted 17 May 2012 - 08:24 PM

Patriot's stand. It was the only Dark Age book I read that was actually good IMO.

#104 Creed Buhallin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 08:59 PM

View PostVulpesveritas, on 17 May 2012 - 08:24 PM, said:

Patriot's stand. It was the only Dark Age book I read that was actually good IMO.

Lies!! There were no good Dark Age books! Well, there were no Dark Age books at all, honestly, and if you claim otherwise I'll stick my fingers in my ears and go LA LA LA! :)

IMHO, the BTech timeline goes off the rails around 3055 or so. All the early stuff has been listed, and is very good (although Sword and Dagger was a bit weak, IMHO). Stackpole's one of my favorite authors out there despite his tendency for godlike characters, and he writes descriptive tech better than most (if you haven't read them, his X-Wing books are pretty awesome too). Charette is good as well, and I really liked the Jade Phoenix Trilogy by Thurston (I think it was).

Most of the rest I can take or leave. I never cared for Pardoe, and while I know someone above said they loved it, I thought Ideal War was one of the worst I've ever read. Most of the later stuff I just gave up on, so someone may very well have different feelings about it than I do, but that 3055 or so mark was the point where the universe - game and story both - just completely lost me.

But if I had to pick a favorite? I'd take either Blood Legacy or Way of the Clans (first of the Jade Phoenix trilogy). I enjoy the Outreach training in Blood Legacy immensely, and Way of the Clans was what truly defined who the Clans were - not the mamby-pamby "Oh we're so conflicted about what we're doing" Wolf version, but the truth of what life was like for a Clan warrior.

#105 Mota Prefect

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 634 posts
  • LocationAboard Sheep Star 1 Battleship - Location Classified

Posted 17 May 2012 - 09:31 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions, I was just wondering this myself. Been into battletech since first playing mechwarrior 2 in 1995, been hooked on mech since then but never had a chance to read any of the literature. Looking forward to reading all 60mb of these battletech novels I just got.
:)

#106 Arbhall Sommers

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationWarmed up and mission ready.

Posted 17 May 2012 - 09:34 PM

I loved DRT.
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/D.R.T.

and Bred for War was pretty sweet too.

But the Trilogy of
Letahl Heritage
Blood Legacy
Lost Destiny were so awesome too. I dunno which i loved more.

#107 theginganinja

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 192 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 17 May 2012 - 09:39 PM

Blood of Kerensky trilogy
Saga of the Gray Death Legion (including the books set after the original trilogy - Blood of Heroes, Operation: Excalibur, etc.)
Exodus Road
Test of Vengeance
The various books about Archer Christifori
(The next two are MechWarrior rather than Battletech) Ghost of Winter
And Roar of Honor (This book and Test of Vengeance made Clan Ghost Bear my favorite clan by far)

#108 Chief of Scouts

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 09:55 PM

As Banditman posted, those are the best books to start with. He has them in chronological order, although there is some overlap in the way the novels were written.

I read all of the BattleTech books as they were released and I just started to re-read them. I am currently reading Heir to the Dragon. I felt it would help with game immersion to refresh me memory of the story and mechs.

+1 to Banditman

#109 LctRoyFokker

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationEverett,Wa

Posted 17 May 2012 - 10:20 PM

I would half to say Wolf Pack.

#110 JakeNzC

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 17 May 2012 - 10:46 PM

Grey Death saga hooked me, I've been collecting ever since, tho the books are rare these days.

#111 proktor

• PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Locationthe netherlands

Posted 17 May 2012 - 10:59 PM

the aidan pride trilogy books and patriots stand from the later dark age series.

#112 Buzzkillin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 283 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 11:04 PM

I only read the Legend of the Jade Phoenix and I really liked it. It also gives a understand on the clan culture and how they see the Inner Sphere. Currently working on the warrior triology.

#113 Aethon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 2,037 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, Niles, Kerensky Cluster

Posted 17 May 2012 - 11:16 PM

As much as I love reading more about the Clans, my favourite novel was Wolves on the Border. That book was simply incredible, and shed a lot of light on the inner workings of the Draconis Combine.

Second place (albeit close) would have to be Illusions of Victory; that was one hell of a great read, and I might read it again (I've only re-read one other book in my life, that being The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, by Robert Heinlein).

Close Quarters was another of my faves; Camacho's Caballeros are easily one of the most entertaining merc units in the Inner Sphere, and make great, interesting (and amusing) book material.

If I had to pick a favourite series, though, it would have to be the Blood of Kerensky trilogy, without a doubt, although the Jade Phoenix trilogy was also excellent, even though it was about the Jade Falcons.

#114 Peter Valentine

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 59 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 17 May 2012 - 11:19 PM

My personal favourite is the Wolves on the Border from Robert N. Charotte.
And the Saga of The Gray Death Legion,and actually every other book...come on its BT we love them:)

#115 Thorolf Kylesson

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 140 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 17 May 2012 - 11:44 PM

Just don't read "I am Jade Falcon". Odins' blood, that book was terrible!

#116 Sol Dios

Rookie

• 9 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas. USA

Posted 17 May 2012 - 11:47 PM

Legend of the Jade Phoenix.

#117 Goldhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 379 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 05:08 AM

The Blood of Kerensky books really threw you into the action, but the Warrior Trilogy shows much of the political backstabbing that went on.
1st B-tech book was Impetus of War. That's when I made the connection between Battletech and Mechwarrior.

#118 Mechanus

• PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 05:44 AM

If you're looking for books to read to bring you up to speed, here's a chronological listing of the novels in regards to timeline, not release of books:

http://www.stargazer..._novel_list.htm

#119 Arnie1808

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 546 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 18 May 2012 - 02:39 PM

Iv been reading through my books again and I am half way through Lost Destiny

Also this was my first book ( Measure of a Hero, by Blaine Lee Pardoe )
I also like this author and think he is one of the best (if not the best) since reading it.

Edited by Arnie1808, 18 May 2012 - 02:49 PM.

#120 Steinar Bergstol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,622 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 18 May 2012 - 02:41 PM

Wolves on the Border, definitely.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users