128 replies to this topic

#81 Creel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationFort Worth, TX

Posted 21 November 2011 - 10:18 PM

View PostCaveMan, on 21 November 2011 - 10:13 PM, said:

What illustrations? You mean the appendix section at the back with scanned TRO drawings of the 'Mechs? Or were there actual BT novels with scenes illustrated in them?

Now I'm imagining a mechwarrior children's book. "My First Atlas" or something.

I would read that to my children.

nightly

#82 Yeach

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 10:39 PM

Some of the novels like "Natural Selection" and Jade Phoenix trilogy had illustrations within the novels.
Plus the appendix section with TRO drawings.

#83 Hohiro Kurita

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 75 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 10:18 AM

Several:
  • Blood of Kerensky Trilogy - namely the second book where Kai is nursed back to health by Deirdre. For some reason I liked her character a lot.
  • The entire Twilight series - loved it, especially the books on Huntress, and the book where Victor came to the rescue.
  • Impetus of War - stick it to the SJs, hells yea.
  • Patriots and Tyrants - based obviously from my favorite quote by Thomas Jefferson. Also one of my favorite books when Katrina finally gets what's coming to her - though I'd prefer her to have died.
  • Highlander Gambit
  • Far Country
  • The Warrior Trilogy
  • Ghost War- I intensely hated everything that happened to BT after the whole microsoft/wizkids nonsense and I actually liked this book, though I have not read any of the newer stuff at all. The fact that Victor lives to be 100 only to be assassinated, FINALLY, is entirely unacceptable to me.That and the whole magical jihad thing and Devlin Stone, it's all terrible.
  • Malicious Intent
  • Operation Excalibur
  • Illusions of Victory
  • Endgame
  • Hearts of Chaos
  • Tactics of Duty
K i'll stop before I name every book.

Edited by Hohiro Kurita, 22 November 2011 - 10:21 AM.

#84 name51875

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 22 November 2011 - 10:26 AM

Damn, there's no one which sells battletech novel in my country

#85 Hohiro Kurita

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 75 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 10:33 AM

They are very hard to get ahold of. I personally lost mine and I didn;t understand how bad of a thing it was until now. I had a box that I left in a house I moved out of, and never went back to get it - with ALL the BT novels published at that time, in it. I lost that box. I have seen single copies of these novels going for over $100 online - when they were 5.95 MSRP in america, in the 90s. Occasionally you can find one for $1, and you may even find the entire collection on ebay for $100, but it's rare.

To be h onest, in regards to the illustrations - I often did not understand what some of them were, in Jade Pheonix for example.

The TRO images in the back of the books were awesome, and the TROs and Manuals themselves always helped to illustrate - though some things were uninspired, like the Federated Long Rifle.

I've taken the liberty over the years of creating my own non-canonical fan-made equipment and such, most of it for my second fan-fic novel based in the 3130 era (it was convenient for story writing, instead of poorly making an original char fit into the existing setting)

Edited by Hohiro Kurita, 22 November 2011 - 10:42 AM.

#86 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 22 November 2011 - 10:43 AM

thriftbooks.com Although i should stop giving this link out or when I go to purchase novels there will be no more BT novels left ^_^

#87 EDMW CSN

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,073 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 22 November 2011 - 10:48 AM

Off my head.

Double Blind (mercs vs Wob)
Ideal War (proves that the Fake Thomas Marik ain't such a ****)
Call of Duty.
Of Patriots and Tyrants.

#88 Cattra Kell

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,858 posts
  • LocationFredericton, NB, Canada

Posted 22 November 2011 - 11:39 AM

Just finished Operation Audacity, onto Double blind!

#89 VEDRFOLNIR

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • LocationMidwest USA

Posted 22 November 2011 - 12:17 PM

View Postsr_cabal, on 19 November 2011 - 06:06 PM, said:

Hell yes...the warship combat. I loved how they continue to build up Morgan Hasek-Davion.....and then he goes the way of most of my favorite characters.... ^_^

Yeah, I was absolutely stunned by that plot twist. B) :(

View PostYeach, on 21 November 2011 - 10:09 PM, said:

So um what do you guys think about the illustrations in the novels?
Did it help the story along or did it they destroy any sense of realism?

There were only a couple of books that had illustrations that I can remember. There was one very pretty illustration of Melissa Steiner-Davion standing by the podium where she'd end up being assassinated. I always thought that was such a weird juxtaposition between the beauty of the illustration and what was about to happen.

#90 CaveMan

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,127 posts
  • LocationIn a leather flying cap and goggles

Posted 23 November 2011 - 12:09 AM

View PostHohiro Kurita, on 22 November 2011 - 10:18 AM, said:

The entire Twilight series - loved it, especially the books on Huntress, and the book where Victor came to the rescue.

Oh man, for a half a second there I was filled with a blinding rage <_<

#91 Joanna Conners

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,206 posts
  • LocationEn Route to Terra

Posted 23 November 2011 - 02:43 AM

The Legend of the Jade Phoenix is sadly the only novel I've had the pleasure to read, but I thoroughly enjoy it.

#92 Bishop L

• PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationThe Templars

Posted 23 November 2011 - 04:28 AM

View PostAndrew Harvey, on 14 November 2011 - 10:52 AM, said:

Lethal Heritage is one of the few books that take place in the same timeframe as the game. But there are quite a few others that you should consider that would give you a good amount of background knowledge in Inner Sphere.

Gray Death Trilogy: This is the story of the rise of the Gray Death Legion. The Legion is an influential Mercenary unit that discovers the Helm Memory Core, a database of information that helps turn the tide of technological decline.
-Decision at Thunder Rift
-Mercenary's Star
-The Price of Glory

The Warrior Trilogy: A central story in the universe that sets the stage for the union of the Federated Suns and the Lyran Commonwealth as well as the war between Hanse Davion and Maximilian Liao.
-Warrior: En Garde
-Warrior: Riposte
-Warrior: Coupe

What!?! No love for the Dragoons?!? Wolves on the Border should be on this list as well.......

#93 Walter Soebchak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • 157 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs

Posted 17 May 2012 - 06:33 PM

What was your favorite book from the battletech fiction universe?

#94 Kasiagora

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 620 posts
  • LocationIf not the mechbay then the battlefield!

Posted 17 May 2012 - 06:42 PM

My first B-tech book was Ideal War, and I followed that up with Decision at Thunder Rift and proceeded to read the whole Gray Death Saga, but I think my favorite book was the second Blood of Kerensky book, Blood Legacy, because thought that the author killed my favorite character. Any author that will do that to his readers is alright by me.

#95 Sleepy Head

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 06:57 PM

What single b-tech book lead to the events of MW:O? I want to read that so the game comes familiar.

#96 Kasiagora

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 620 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 07:15 PM

In that case, Sleepy Head, I would probably read the first book in the Blood of Kerensky trilogy; Lethal Heritage. It takes place in 3049, right when MW:O is taking place.
Otherwise I know that there's a few books that take place in the time period right after the Third Succession War (2035) until 3049, but it was a relatively quiet period for the Inner Sphere. There was the discovery of the Helm Memory Core which had a lot of lost technology and a little technological boom from that, but as far as big, front line battles I don't think there was much going on. Lots of smaller skirmishes and covert ops though.

#97 Banditman

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationThe Templars

Posted 17 May 2012 - 07:21 PM

No single book leads here. The books were based on an existing timeline, and many books lead to where we are now. In about a year, you will DEFINITELY want to be reading the Blood of Kerensky books, as those will describe the events that are about to happen.

For now, in general, these books will keep you entertained:
Sword and the Dagger Ardath Mayhar The 31st Century begins
Decision at Thunder Rift William H. Keith Jr. Saga of the Grey Death Legion -- Book 1
Mercenary’s Star William H. Keith Jr. Saga of the Grey Death Legion -- Book 2
The Price of Glory William H. Keith Jr. Saga of the Grey Death Legion -- Book 3
Warrior: En Guarde Michael A. Stackpole Birth of the Federated Commonwealth--Book 1
Warrior: Riposte Michael A. Stackpole Birth of the Federated Commonwealth--Book 2
Warrior: Coupe Michael A. Stackpole Birth of the Federated Commonwealth--Book 3
Wolves on the Border Robert N. Charrette
Heir to the Dragon Robert N. Charrette

Edited by Banditman, 17 May 2012 - 07:23 PM.

#98 Grendel408

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 17 May 2012 - 07:22 PM

First novels from BattleTech I read was the Blood of Kerensky trilogy since MW2 got me started in the BT universe... favorite book of all? Tough choice given I am only missing maybe 10(ish) books, but Wolves on the Border was by far my favorite followed by the Warrior trilogy.

#99 Fearful

• PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationXanadu

Posted 17 May 2012 - 07:43 PM

Saga of The Gray Death Legion. Yeah yeah, it's a trilogy but still...

#100 Kasiagora

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 620 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 07:48 PM

Thanks Banditman, you said it better than I could have.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users