Not Fun

184 replies to this topic

#141 Average Pilot

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 73 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 07:55 PM

View PostShar Wolf, on 15 January 2014 - 07:36 PM, said:

I think we are getting over that: see? he (...she/it/they... little help here Harvester?) even liked my last post! :mellow:

Shar... Last I looked, I was dude material, as it were... Funny thing is the game gave me the handle, and I haven't figured out how to change it yet, but now, it's kinda growing on me... lol.

#142 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 15 January 2014 - 08:03 PM

View PostArahantius, on 15 January 2014 - 07:53 PM, said:

I got a victor for my first mech and failed dismally because I didn't know how to use it in MWO. It's a great mech but remember, this guy is new and has no tactical advantage just because he is in an amazing mech (yes, the victor rocks but so do many others)

That is part of why I go against Victor and others who try to push new people into meta mechs - I will still tell them they are at a disadvantage.
Most of the people I know IRL are more likely to stick with a game if they know ahead of time that they are at an actual disadvantage in the game

A lot of them because then they can blame their new person suckage on the mech/fighter/car instead of themselves being... well... new

Exceptions exist of course - so I try to get some feedback on what they like before I suggest, but still.

If they are not OK with being at a disadvantage, then they are more than free to ignore me. :mellow:
(don't think I would have ever suggested a Quickdraw though... but that is more cause it is a mech that holds little-no interest to me personally :blink:)

The point of this rant?

Better to teach the core mechanics than the meta. :blink:
(well that felt like an awkward bit of self-agrandizement didn't it)

#143 Arahantius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 08:10 PM

View PostShar Wolf, on 15 January 2014 - 08:03 PM, said:

That is part of why I go against Victor and others who try to push new people into meta mechs - I will still tell them they are at a disadvantage.
Most of the people I know IRL are more likely to stick with a game if they know ahead of time that they are at an actual disadvantage in the game

A lot of them because then they can blame their new person suckage on the mech/fighter/car instead of themselves being... well... new

Exceptions exist of course - so I try to get some feedback on what they like before I suggest, but still.

If they are not OK with being at a disadvantage, then they are more than free to ignore me. :mellow:
(don't think I would have ever suggested a Quickdraw though... but that is more cause it is a mech that holds little-no interest to me personally :blink:)

The point of this rant?

Better to teach the core mechanics than the meta. :blink:
(well that felt like an awkward bit of self-agrandizement didn't it)

Ya, Quickdraw.......
I could never get a handle on that, I've found a fondness for the blackjack, jaeger, stalker builds lol

#144 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,679 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 15 January 2014 - 08:43 PM

View PostMott, on 15 January 2014 - 07:38 AM, said:

I've introduced 5 players to MWO (3 of them BT lore fans and 2 of them past MW3/4 players) and none of them were suitably impressed to keep with it.

None of them are FPS players, so they weren't looking for a quick 'n easy game. All of them are seasoned mmog vets so the grind wasn't a surprise. And all of them were interested in a strategic, simulation shooter.

Sure, the unintuitive trial mechs weren't very fun to pilot and the regular stomping of noobs didn't help.

But the fault of their true disappointment lies somewhat with me. I really pimped the game and the community warfare BEFORE i knew it didn't exist yet. My friends were very excited to be part of actual units, fighting cohesively, to protect, capture and control various properties in the Inner Sphere.

Without that... these gamers who are far more serious about overall game experience than me (they're logging 200hrs+ of game time per month)... lost interest after just a dozen or so matches.

I too, am a new player with past experience on tabletop and MW, and I agree that this game is REALLY hard to get into. I was helped by the fact that my first drops were with my brother, who really made the difference between me continuing to play or not. Even then though, this game was hard to get into and confusing. If I hadn't had someone to explain to me how to do something simple like activate 1st person or what a good choice for a mech would be for me, I would have quit. I agree that PGI could really spruce up the new player experience, and from what I have heard they are working on it which is a Good Thing.

This. PGI initial foot through the door was aimed at a single player game w/multiplayer capabilities, like the previous MW (2-4) games (with that facet needing to being added in later for one of them). What went wrong is that when they had to change their financial approach from MW5 to MWO as a well to get funding, they did not change the outline to be more in tune with the way the Multiplayer Only BT games handled it (MPBT EGA (MW1 engine), MPBT Solaris(SVGA) and MPBT 3025). No actual in game community, lounges/bars/bases/rooms for people to actually interact without being blasted by an AC20.

UI2 is supposed to have the ability to take care of much of that, though it is taking too long.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 15 January 2014 - 08:45 PM.

#145 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 16 January 2014 - 03:59 AM

The tracker did show that UI2.0 is at 89% or more, I believe. So it should be done soon, they are expecting it to roll sometime around February or March, no later than that. So unless some major catastrophe happens, their progress should line up with that placeholder release date.

#146 AaronWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 652 posts
  • LocationSunshine state.

Posted 16 January 2014 - 05:48 AM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 16 January 2014 - 03:59 AM, said:

The tracker did show that UI2.0 is at 89% or more, I believe. So it should be done soon, they are expecting it to roll sometime around February or March, no later than that. So unless some major catastrophe happens, their progress should line up with that placeholder release date.

February is the projected month. *Crosses fingers*

#147 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 16 January 2014 - 07:04 AM

Here's the tracker link

http://www.mwomercs.com/theplan

#148 cleghorn6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 511 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 07:08 AM

Well "final" public test is today/tomorrow depending on your time zone. So I'd expect to see it pretty soon unless something serious gets brought up in the testing.

#149 AaronWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 652 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 07:32 AM

View Postcleghorn6, on 16 January 2014 - 07:08 AM, said:

Well "final" public test is today/tomorrow depending on your time zone. So I'd expect to see it pretty soon unless something serious gets brought up in the testing.

Like a bug that spontaneous causes your gastrointestinal system to explode in a fiery fury of flatulence.

Kinda doubt that would occur from a digital game.

More likely the rabid mixing of cheetos and mt.dew.

#150 Jon Gotham

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:45 AM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 15 January 2014 - 10:48 AM, said:

totals up to 9-10 Mil

If they use the free premium day and actually cram the 25 matches in, they should get between 15-18 milion.

#151 AaronWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 652 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:46 AM

View Postkamiko kross, on 16 January 2014 - 10:45 AM, said:

If they use the free premium day and actually cram the 25 matches in, they should get between 15-18 milion.

Posted Image

#152 xMEPHISTOx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 09:42 PM

View PostAaronWolf, on 16 January 2014 - 05:48 AM, said:

February is the projected month. *Crosses fingers*

Maybe...some feel that with todays test that it is unlikely that they will have it ready for feb 4th.

#153 RG Notch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,987 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 17 January 2014 - 05:07 AM

View PostxMEPHISTOx, on 16 January 2014 - 09:42 PM, said:

Maybe...some feel that with todays test that it is unlikely that they will have it ready for feb 4th.

Are you kidding, bugs or not it's coming out on Feb 4th, then they will spend the next 6 months or so fixing it while this pushes back CW. Instead of needing UI 2.0 as the excuse, fixing UI 2.0 will be the new excuse.

#154 Buckminster

• Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 17 January 2014 - 05:20 AM

View PostAaronWolf, on 16 January 2014 - 07:32 AM, said:

More likely the rabid mixing of cheetos and mt.dew.

Mt. Dew is some scary stuff. One time camping, we were putting empty soda cans into the bonfire to watch them melt. The fire was fairly hot, it'd usually only take a few seconds. Then one of us got an idea - what would happen if you put a full can on? So we opened a can of Mt Dew (OPENED - we didn't want an explosion) sat it in the fire and waited. And waited. It did not melt. Whatever it is that they put in Mt Dew, it stopped fire.

#155 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 17 January 2014 - 05:24 AM

I'm gonna remain optimistic. Either way, UI2.0 is gonna be here, and it's gonna be a welcome change. CW will come after, and honestly we've waited a long time already, I don't mind waiting an extra month or two over the projected timeline.

#156 Buckminster

• Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 17 January 2014 - 05:43 AM

Yeah, I'm with you on this. If the waiting gets too bad, I may take a break, launch some Kerbals or something. But the draw of Battletech is too strong, I know I'll be back.

#157 AaronWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 652 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:08 AM

View PostRG Notch, on 17 January 2014 - 05:07 AM, said:

Are you kidding, bugs or not it's coming out on Feb 4th, then they will spend the next 6 months or so fixing it while this pushes back CW. Instead of needing UI 2.0 as the excuse, fixing UI 2.0 will be the new excuse.

Posted Image

View PostxMEPHISTOx, on 16 January 2014 - 09:42 PM, said:

I'm a little bit more of an optimist, so I am thinking it will be put out. Then either 1) fixed fast and got CW out, or 2) fixed somewhat slow and CW gets implemented anyway.

Either way its a win-win in my head.

View PostBuckminster, on 17 January 2014 - 05:20 AM, said:

Mt. Dew is some scary stuff. One time camping, we were putting empty soda cans into the bonfire to watch them melt. The fire was fairly hot, it'd usually only take a few seconds. Then one of us got an idea - what would happen if you put a full can on? So we opened a can of Mt Dew (OPENED - we didn't want an explosion) sat it in the fire and waited. And waited. It did not melt. Whatever it is that they put in Mt Dew, it stopped fire.

This is why:

Posted Image

Its a Monster!

#158 Spurowny

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 120 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:41 AM

View PostBuckminster, on 17 January 2014 - 05:20 AM, said:

yeah it was the water in the mtn dew.

SCIENCE!

Edited by Spurowny, 17 January 2014 - 06:45 AM.

#159 Mott

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 887 posts
  • Location[MW] Ransom's Corsairs

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:46 AM

PROOF that MWO's water physics are WAY OFF!

lol

If i'm standing in a lake firing every weapon i have... my mech should barely even heat up and NEVER spike :D

#160 Buckminster

• Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:47 AM

View PostSpurowny, on 17 January 2014 - 06:41 AM, said:

yeah it was the water in the mtn dew.

SCIENCE!

Ahh, but all the water boiled out. What was left behind was a thick sludge - an unknown element that we've dubbed "Dewmium". All we can gather is that it has a very high melting point, and is likely radioactive.

Edited by Buckminster, 17 January 2014 - 06:47 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users