184 replies to this topic

#181 Buckminster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 18 January 2014 - 07:22 PM

View PostRhapsody Repine, on 18 January 2014 - 12:51 PM, said:

There's a big difference between moving a 800lb barrel with a gyro attached to it to keep it level... than there is in moving a 20 ton arm :blink:

Maybe so, but it's also theoretically 1000 years in the future. If we have the technology to keep a 100 ton mech walking and upright, we should be able to keep an arm pointed in the right direction. ;)

#182 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 18 January 2014 - 07:24 PM

View PostBuckminster, on 18 January 2014 - 07:22 PM, said:

Maybe so, but it's also theoretically 1000 years in the future. If we have the technology to keep a 100 ton mech walking and upright, we should be able to keep an arm pointed in the right direction. ;)

The series has a build in handwave for that:
Lostech! :blink:

#183 Nick Makiaveli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 19 January 2014 - 06:11 AM

View PostShar Wolf, on 17 January 2014 - 08:46 PM, said:

It does actually do quite a bit - but not as much as it's reputation would have you believe.
If they wait then you are slowing their damage rates.
If they do not - then they are potentially wasting shots.
It DOES do - just isn't a cure-all :blink:

This.

Seriously people, stop and think a sec. If he has faster weapons than you, then forcing him to wait to shoot takes away that advantage. If slower, then twist away and use your arm mounted weapons. Or just twist and move away, buy time for help to arrive.

Why shoot the legs? Simple, less armor and slows the mech down. Perfect for fast mechs. Or perhaps their legs were damaged by missiles or stray shots.

It's a game, thus it will have rules quirks that can and will be exploited.

View PostGeist Null, on 17 January 2014 - 08:57 PM, said:

ah yes the torso twist defense. im still gonna shoot your mech in the CT no matter which way you turn because, depending on your mech, im gotta still hit a part that juts out, the bulge between your torso and legs that doesn't turn, or the bulge on the back if you turn too far.

Great if you have the accuracy to shoot that well. Most don't, so it works well against less skilled opponents or ones that get overly excited and are not patient.

View PostBuckminster, on 18 January 2014 - 07:22 PM, said:

I take it you aren't familiar with the lore? Multiple Succession Wars, with the first featuring nukes, have nearly wiped out the technology., I'ts not just that the factories were bombed extensively, it was the population losses as well. Think on it. Who is going to go to college to learn Advanced Engineering skills when there aren't enough people to work the fields to produce food? Who would teach for that matter?

So fast forward 50 years after the first war, and who's left to maintain the machines? Build new ones? A few people here and there, that's it. So most of the effort goes into trying to keep the machines they have working, and yes that include machines to make machines that make mechs. As they wear out, replacements aren't as good, or have lesser quality components etc. Think on it, the mines may be shipping the same ore, but if the refineries can't purify it as well....

Then add in the 2nd and 3rd Succession Wars, blowing up some of what does remain, killing more of the techs and scientists etc. And I'm sure no one ever thought long term and deliberately aimed for the colleges, or worker housing areas....

#184 Buckminster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 19 January 2014 - 06:07 PM

View PostNick Makiaveli, on 19 January 2014 - 06:11 AM, said:

I take it you aren't familiar with the lore? Multiple Succession Wars, with the first featuring nukes, have nearly wiped out the technology., I'ts not just that the factories were bombed extensively, it was the population losses as well. Think on it. Who is going to go to college to learn Advanced Engineering skills when there aren't enough people to work the fields to produce food? Who would teach for that matter?

So fast forward 50 years after the first war, and who's left to maintain the machines? Build new ones? A few people here and there, that's it. So most of the effort goes into trying to keep the machines they have working, and yes that include machines to make machines that make mechs. As they wear out, replacements aren't as good, or have lesser quality components etc. Think on it, the mines may be shipping the same ore, but if the refineries can't purify it as well....

Then add in the 2nd and 3rd Succession Wars, blowing up some of what does remain, killing more of the techs and scientists etc. And I'm sure no one ever thought long term and deliberately aimed for the colleges, or worker housing areas....

I'm very familiar with the lore. I've also played plenty of 40k which works on the same "humanity is a wasteland but look at these awesome guns!" theory. Fact is, it's all just games, made up to be interesting and fun. Logic and science do not belong.

#185 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:09 PM

View PostBuckminster, on 19 January 2014 - 06:07 PM, said:

Logic and science do not belong.

Heresy! :rolleyes:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users