184 replies to this topic

#21 RG Notch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,987 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:16 PM

View PostBuckminster, on 09 January 2014 - 06:30 PM, said:

and re: Shar Wolf's attitude, we've had a lot of "new" people coming through and trolling the forums lately. If you are not one of those guys, cut him some slack. He's actually a generally helpful guy.

Don't dare say anything bad about the game or some folks will get in an uproar. Anyone new who doesn't like the game is obviously just a disaffected vet posing as such. I mean the game has awesome support for new players. I mean there's one whole tutorial, a match maker that throws them in with vets in tricked out mechs while they are limited to the trial mechs, clearly explained concepts like "ghost heat", excellent documentation and a wonderful welcoming community that tells anyone who complains about such to hit the road. But other than attacking new players he seems a generally helpful guy, as long as you support PGI.
It's wonderful how defensive the cheerleaders have become that any new player with issues is suspect. This game needs more of this wonderful word of mouth or should I say mouth breather work. So toughen up butter cup or move along, this game is got enough players thank you. Be sure to tell your friends that new players aren't needed!

#22 War Beast

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 93 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:20 PM

View PostShar Wolf, on 09 January 2014 - 06:16 PM, said:

Finnish your 25 matches - then you can talk.

I say that for a couple reasons.

1) less than 25 matches played means you have not played enough (that is about 1 hour worth of play) to know jack-diddly about the real state of the game.

******** !

The game gets infinitely worse and even LESS fun. I just recently started as well. The first 25 matches have people with mostly unoptimized builds. In theory they are lower elo (not always the case because of poor matchmaking). The game is far more fun and more wide open as everyone is supposed be to at a lower skill level for a more even playing field.

After that they put you in with high elo players non stop. Organized 4 mans. Sync dropping 4 mans. The absolute min/max/cheese builds are the norm. Basically its an infinitely less forgiving environment. There is no margin for error any more. Learning the ropes and running non cheese builds becomes brutal. Just ask any veteran who starts grinding a new chasis. Its no fun at the beginning. Which is where you are just outside of 25 matches. Not only that but you are a LONG way from mastering much less eliting your current mechs.

And heaven forbid you actually played well for your first 25 games. Suddenly your have a good elo, and you are facing the best players out there. ALL right off the bat. All the time.

Overall the first 25 games feels a bit more like how MWO should play. More well rounded builds, more variety of builds. Not getting insta gibbed within seconds of being fired on.

So if its already rough for him now. It's only going to get a LOT worse.

That is the honest and sad truth about this game and new players. Until they can fix the hell that is the current matchmaking, it's going to continue sucking.

I love the battletech theme which is why im sticking in there. I spent a lot of time talking to a friend who played and reading the forums before I finally got involved in playing. I even spent no small amount of time in the training grounds getting good at piloting before I thew myself into the fray. So I was able to wade through the beginning rounds well enough.

I do have to say its truly ridiculous for a new player once you get out of that fist 25 rounds. It's essentially a nightmare of unfair matchmaking while dealing with inferior builds against a majority of cheese builds. Its quite hard to stomach.

Edited by War Beast, 09 January 2014 - 08:30 PM.

#23 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:22 PM

View PostRG Notch, on 09 January 2014 - 08:16 PM, said:

Anyone new who doesn't like the game is obviously just a disaffected vet posing as such.

Not necessarily, but consider which is more likely:
Someone who has played for less than an hour having seen and found all the bugs/features/lack-of-features that get complained about SO frequently:
Or an alt account of a disgruntled vet.

You will notice that the OP did not complain about the usual - which in my irritation at yet another similar thread (if barely similar) I missed out on.

You have my apologies Harvester - and welcome to the game. (should you be brave enough to stick around)

#24 GutterBoy5

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 375 posts
  • LocationAdelaide,south australia

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:52 PM

Wow 2days effort.

Give it a real go, maybe join a group/team get educated how game works/runs before you make judgement. Yes trial mechs are tougher to use but much better than they use to be. But 2days only get real man. I know many on the first day have loved this game & not looked back.

Oh well

#25 Artillery Witch Viridia

• PipPipPip
  • The Forbidden
  • The Forbidden
  • 92 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:16 PM

I think they should give new players at least competitive mechs and builds in the trial section.You know ones with extra double heat sinks and proper weapons. Decent weapon groups and no ghost heat builds. I played a trail account a month or so ago and the only decent one was the bam Black Jack build with the ac20. ( I probably would have tweaked it to be more heat efficient. even though it was good) The rest of the trail mechs simply are fodder. The long range atlas was a joke, the stalkers had terrible heat and weapons. The list goes on and on. Also make the trial mechs to run as if they had 'elited' out pilot talents while using any of the four, that can level the playing field just a touch more and help newbies see what real mechs run like. You can't really help them with the learning and piloting experience when matching up with veterans unless MM is changed but starting with Proper trials of good mechs is the least they could do for the short term.

#26 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:35 PM

View PostThe Harvester, on 09 January 2014 - 06:08 PM, said:

Dear Site / Game Owners,

I'm a BT gamer from the hex board days with a goodly amount of MW3 stuck in, and I just have to say... After two days of playing this online game, while it looks fabulous, you must have to play this for months to develop any kind of ability to do anything useful in the game. EIther that, or the stuff you can buy absolutely dominates the default mechs that are offered.

Any time I've gotten into a skirmish with another mech, I get the fire blasted out of me every.... single... time. It's impossible to keep a reticle on target for any length of time, certainly not long enough to get a meaningful shot off. It's enough that the game after two days is not fun at all now that the novelty of it has worn off.

I hope perhaps yourselves or someone else that can use this property might put together a single-player campaign style version of this; that I would play for sure. But the online version of this is just no fun at all. I wish you folks the best.

-TR

If you haven't actually gone here are some things to consider.

1. This isn't like TT versions of the game. So don't expect it to 'feel' or act like the game. that horse left the barn long ago. Enjoy it for what it is. Big stompy robots blowing up other big stompy robots.

2. This game is about teamwork and you cannot win on your own. Nobody's the ultimate tough guy in any mech. I eat Atlases for lunch with a Kintaro 19 with LRM5s, but get handed my head by stupid friggen assault spiders!!!! HATE HATE RAGE HATE!!!!!!!! ahem... but I digress. I will say this, if you play your mech like you actually were in it and could die, you will play a LOT smarter and stay alive better than you did when you just have a 'just press start' attitude.

3. You're new. Don't brawl. Brawling = dead when new. There are lots of nuances to being a good brawler. Be recon in a Jenner or something light and fast, jumpy and irritating. Play Conquest a lot in those lights. Your chance of survival is so much greater than on assault or Heaven forbid! skirmish mode. Do like me and learn to LRM spamming the enemy with a mountain inbetween you and them. There are no points for being 'brave' and charging in like a berzerk bear. Be the coward, shooting opponents in the back and capping their bases. Do something different and know you're just learning.

4. Know the game takes skill and time to get good at knowing your weaponry. Every gun, every mech, every map handles sleightly differently and you will get good at some, and stink at others. Case in point. I'm terrible with A/Cs. Hate em. But I like to think I'm pretty good with LRMs, and yes there is an art to both. There is no 'easy' level and the matchmaker generally sucks hard enough to bend light.

5. This is most most MOST important... find a group and join it. You will hate this game in about 4-8 weeks if you don't. And I do mean hate. I was ready to quit after 6 weeks of playing this because I didn't understand I was working against coordinated teams and what was going behind the scenes in a match that you never are privvy to on your own. Get thee hence to a group. I'd recommend the Seraphim, but I'm biased. :ph34r:

Remember, you only are 1 of 12 members of your team. No matter how good you are, if the other 11 fail you, you are going to lose and die in an embarrassing ball of flame and shrapnel. I just did it tonight so bad I had to walk away because I was ready to become very unpleasant and violate my team's code of conduct. So now a few episodes of Big Bang Theory later, I'm ready to think about getting into the cockpit of my latest mech and spam some missiles on someone.

Oh, and get on to youtube or check out the fan video sections out and start learning what the really good players do. There are some excellent ones out there from the NGNG crew and dozens of others. Warning, often loaded with profanity, so be ready for it.

Do these things, and I guarantee you your experience on MWO will be vastly improved, or at least you won't feel so alone. :D

#27 Xorv

• PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:47 PM

or just get a VTR, best mech at destroying other mechs (except lights) so far

#28 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:52 PM

View PostXorv, on 09 January 2014 - 09:47 PM, said:

or just get a VTR, best mech at destroying other mechs (except lights) so far

A Victor does not guarantee success. Otherwise trial atlai would have guaranteed success to their pilots and we all know that's not true.

#29 Xorv

• PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:56 PM

I never mentioned guaranteed. it increases the probability of success, especially since it is the most mobile, jj, and best hit boxes in game. You just have to play defensively at the beginning to avoid getting swamped.

Edited by Xorv, 09 January 2014 - 09:57 PM.

#30 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:00 PM

yes, but if he was just charging the enemy and expected an AC40 JM to just wilt away at his awesomeness right up to the point where he got headshot, or was cut down by an assaullt spider he couldn't target, it doesn't matter what mech he has. He needs friends and to learn how to use what he's got.

#31 Xorv

• PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:06 PM

if he was charging the enemy then of course he is going to fail, read my last line. But 1v1 against any non-light mech is easy as long as we're evenly damaged (unless its another VTR), and if a spider is chasing you and you're in a VTR either alpha his face or go back to your team. Trust me OP get a VTR for your 1st mech.

#32 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:28 PM

Recently, there had been many guys who said stuff like 'I don't like this game for this reason, and this reason, and this reason, so I'm uninstalling', so therefore a few of us think this is yet another one of those threads. Sorry OP, none of us meant any harm or offense against you.

#33 Mad Strike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLima , Peru

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:31 PM

View PostThe Harvester, on 09 January 2014 - 06:26 PM, said:

@Shar Wolf... First off, I can talk whenever I damn well feel like it. Excuse me if I don't hang out on message boards all the time and know all the "proper" places to put every damned thing. I was just posting about my reaction to the game, and not everybody loves everything. As to trolling new players, I don't know what on earth you're talking about; again, this was just my feedback after playing the game for about three hours.

Also, thanks for the insult. I always say it's easy for people to sit in front of a screen a talk with a big mouth that in real life would get smacked off their face. Glad to know these forums attract a high caliber of interested, helpful persons.

3 hours???!!!!!! XD XD you need to grind your mech and 3 variants of it to unlock all their efficiencies ; complete your 25 matches to get enough CBs and upgrade your mechs. You have been stomped all this time because a lot of players already have their mechs optimized and upgraded.

I remember my first time getting into MWO on CB ; never played a MW game on multiplayer and got stomped too ; took me like 2 weeks to get enough CBs for my first mech.

The thing is ; you can't expect to win just when you start playing....its a grinding game not COD so no good mech until you optimize it acording to your experience.....3 hours/2 days is not even "experience".

P.D: You have all the right to say whatever you ##$ want , thats ok i agree with you on that.....but saying that you played
3 hours-2 days and then coming to the forums saying NOT FUN.....its obvious you´re gonna get trolled....i mean....a lot :S

#34 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:36 PM

Lower your in-game mouse sensitivity, and disable mouse acceleration. This is the first step in any FPS.

#35 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:40 PM

There are some support tools for new players, but so far they are merely bandaid fixes: Movement tutorial, videos, testing grounds. There is no unified, comprehensive manual or tutorial system.

Regardless,
If you are tired of loosing, take a break, come back in a couple days and try again. I suggest playing conquest only for a few matches and focusing on capping bases instead of fighting. You might feel as though you've contributed more to the team while hopefully getting some combat experience as well. I also think you will be more likely to win.

#36 DerelictTomcat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 245 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:40 PM

I remember my 16 machine gun scat in MW3 taking out a Daishi rather easily. MWO is not MW3 and as said by another MW4's teamwork aspect is more like MWO but this is still a different beast. Read my profile for a short description of my mechpiloting history and the state of the game with sportsmanship in MW3. I fear if you didn't live through MW4 with the beginnings of the pwnage kiddies, 1337ness and rude talk, if this is your first jump back into gaming well surprise things have changed a lot.

I find piloting a mech was always fun. Winning or losing is secondary its piloting the mech that is the source of enjoyment. If I die early in MWO I always spectate to see what others are doing.

I play MWO as a PUG, I have yet to speak to anyone over voice comms. I win some I lose some it depends, if you end up on a team where many pilots have good situational awareness including yourself you can stomp other teams at times. I really don't know what people expect of a game matching system we really need rooms and a lobby system like the old zone again.

I hope to see you on the battlefield.

#37 Xorv

• PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:42 PM

My first mech I bought (back in january 2013) was an Awesome....you can pretty much imagine how horrible i was back then.

I still played though because I enjoyed the game then eventually got enough CB to buy an Atlas and then i started getting ok

Edited by Xorv, 09 January 2014 - 10:42 PM.

#38 CMetz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 289 posts
  • LocationCortlandt Manor, NY

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:43 PM

Harvester- I want to go ahead and invite you to make some drops with my unit (or myself) next time you're on (if I'm on). This game is a lot more fun if you're not going it alone. Send me a friend request and I'll be happy to help you out. I'm not the strongest player, but I promise its a nice relaxing way to up your game. I was an avid tabletop player (still am), and I love the way that some things have translated from the board game to this.

#39 qki

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts
  • LocationWarsaw

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:05 AM

Looks like another "I played this game six times already and i'm not winning yet, this sucks" thread.

Yes - MWO is quite unforgiving when it comes to new players, not because it's super hard, but rather because it's very specific, at what it want's players to do.

So you can throw all your "i'll come up behind them and tear them apart" brilliant ideas right out the window. Being an effective mechwarrior requires a much more tactical approach, than cod-style shooters, that let you kill stuff in one burst from your AK.

My number 1 advice is: be patient. Don't rush into the fray, because you have to shoot something RIGHT NOW! Stay with your team, and if you are going to fight uneven engagements, make sure they are in your favour.

Of course, that's easier said, than done, since pugs vary from competent, to "aaaaarrrggh-you-effing-{Surat}!" level bad.

As for "uber optimized cheese-builds" - not so much in pugs. You can get away playing much less optimized machines, or playing things you wouldn't play normally in pugs. The trick, is playing them the right way, as trying to use all designs as one-on-one kill-o-mats will end poorly.

#40 DerelictTomcat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 245 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:09 AM

Remember 80% of dead pilots are mechsperts j00 n00b!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users