49 replies to this topic

#1 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 10 January 2014 - 04:10 AM

Late in the evening, Star Commander Julien turned on the engineer room computer. That sneaky new tech was up to something and he would find out today.

Browsing through the OmniMechs’ archive, he found a recent entry. A new ‘Mech project? That is strange. A ‘Mech called “Overkill”. He smirked. The tech assistant, a former bondsman just recently adopted by the Clan, was studying the omni tech…

He looked the specifications. 100 tons ‘Mech. Someone is thinking big. Maximum speed of 54 km/h, 1 jump jet, 15 double heatsinks, 17 tons of regular armor… except for the very limited jumping capability, the ‘Mech was inferior to the Dire Wolf in almost everything.

Apparently, the Inner Sphere barbarian was playing with five configurations. He even managed to figure out how the omni system works. Let me see the weapons, the Clansman thought.

The Primary config had symmetrical arms, each with one Gauss Rifle, served by two tons of ammo. Plus 2 ER PPCs in the right torso, with two extra heatsinks. 2 Gauss and 2 ER PPCs? Not exactly the brightest configuration, but it did have a good long range punch. Acceptable heat, but no backup weapons other than the fixed ER Small Laser in the head. Wait a minute, a Target Computer in the left torso. Not bad...

Julien opened the Alternate A configuration. It looked like a support loadout. Again, symmetrical arms, mounting 2 Artemis IV equipped LRM-15s, 3 tons of ammo and one single Medium Pulse Laser. Like the previous one, this config carried the ammo in the same component of the owner’s weapon. That could certainly simplify the ammo feeder, but the Star Commander did not like all this ammo in the arms. This time, the right torso carried the exactly same loadout of the arms. As these 90 LRMs weren't enough, there were 4 more Medium Pulse Lasers in the left torso.

Puzzled, he passed to the next configuration: Alternate B. Three Assault Ultra Autocannons, with two tons of ammo each. And a… Target Computer? It could not be right. This ‘Mech would take down most targets in one salvo! Not giving a chance for the enemy to fight back was dezgra. He felt immediately a headache starting.

The Alt C had four Streak SRM-6s in each arm, plus one in the left torso. 3 ER Large Lasers, some extra heatskins and all sorts of electronics equipped the torsos. The name Overkill was not so out of place.

The last one, Alt D was very straight forward, equipped with an beam-only loadout of 9 Medium Pulse Lasers, 4 Large Pulse Lasers and 8 extra heatskins.

Searching for a calculation error, he analysed the project: the 3 main weapons pods of each configuration were all installed high in the ‘Mech, something useful for shooting behind cover, and they all had… exactly the same shape? After checking the numbers, the omnipods in the arms and right torso had even the same mass, 14 tons. Julien wondered if one could just swap these modules at will – the ‘Mech could use any mix of omnipods in its four configurations. It was like an omni system inside the omni system.

But there was more. With a chill through his spine, he saw there was a sketch of another chassis, with 75 tons. The ‘Mech had identical center torso and arms, along with similar legs and internal structure. It also mounted the exactly same main weapon pods of the Overkill. This would clearly mean cheaper manufacturing, easier maintenance and facilitate supply.

Impossible! Julien thought about the implications: it would render all current Clan OmniMechs obsolete. All of them. That inferior, ignorant chalcas was challenging at the same time the Clan code of honor, the Clan technology and the Clan logistics.

He panicked. They would be humbled by a freebirth surat. Then his shame became outrage. Controlling himself, he scanned for all files and erased them from the computer. And an idea was set in his mind. For the sake of the Jade Falcons. For the sake of the Clan way. This Odanan must die.

Few hours later, in the technician’s dormitory, Odanan was roughly awakened by two uniformed Jade Falcon soldiers. Oh boy, what it is now, he thought.

- You are to present yourself immediately to warrior's training, freeborn.

He was tired of being bullied by these fascists and their alien traditions. In his thirties, he had almost the double of age of most cadets. But after two years of captivity and all sorts of ill-treatment, he wanted to sit in the cockpit once more. Then he would show them.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________
OVERKILL

Clan Level 2 Omni
Mass: 100 tons
Chassis: Standard
Power Plant: 300 XL
Cruising Speed: 32.4 km/h
Maximum Speed: 54.0 km/h
Jump Jets: 1
Jump Capacity: 30 m
Armor: 17 tons Standard
Heat Sinks: 15 Double

Fixed Configuration
Spoiler

Primary Configuration "Sniper/Long Range Direct Support"
Spoiler

Alternate Configuration A "Indirect Fire Support/Bombardier"
Spoiler

Alternate Configuration B "Duelist/Lurker"
Spoiler

Alternate Configuration C "Hunter/Electronic Support"
Spoiler

Alternate Configuration D "Deep Raider/Brawler"
Spoiler

_____________________________________________________________________________________________
OVERPOWER

Clan Level 2 Omni
Mass: 75 tons
Chassis: Endo Steel
Power Plant: 375 XL
Cruising Speed: 54.0 km/h
Maximum Speed: 86.4 km/h
Jump Jets: 4
Jump Capacity: 120 m
Armor: 11.5 tons Ferro Fibrous
Heat Sinks: 11 Double

Fixed Configuration
Spoiler

Primary Configuration "Sniper/Long Range Direct Support"
Spoiler

Alternate Configuration A "Indirect Fire Support/Bombardier"
Spoiler

Alternate Configuration B "Duelist/Lurker"
Spoiler

Alternate Configuration C "Hunter"
Spoiler

Alternate Configuration D "Deep Raider/Brawler"
Spoiler

Sketch: (work in progress)
Overkill Prime:
Spoiler

Overkill A:
Spoiler

Edited by Odanan, 14 January 2016 - 07:01 AM.

#2 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:50 AM

Fixed, based on suggestions by Strum Wealh.

(now if I just had a drawing of the mech...)

#3 kevin roshak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 304 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:29 PM

View PostOdanan, on 10 January 2014 - 11:50 AM, said:

Fixed, based on suggestions by Strum Wealh.

(now if I just had a drawing of the mech...)

I posted in the fan art forum a mech of mine and a few people sketched some things up for me

#4 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:34 PM

View Postkevin roshak, on 10 January 2014 - 12:29 PM, said:

I posted in the fan art forum a mech of mine and a few people sketched some things up for me

Good idea! Will try it.

#5 Sparks Murphey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,953 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:53 PM

Sparks sees. Sparks considers.

Do you have any styles you'd prefer?

#6 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 10 January 2014 - 02:34 PM

View PostSparks Murphey, on 10 January 2014 - 01:53 PM, said:

Sparks sees. Sparks considers.

Do you have any styles you'd prefer?

Oh oh!
That would be a great honor!

I was thinking in an oversized Cauldron-Born (including the tube arms, the weapons in the shoulders, cockpit and off-centered torsos), with touches of Reseen Marauder II (something of the legs) and Champion (something of the center torso). The left torso should have a smaller weapon-pod.

But hey, anything, I mean, anything you do would be terrific!

EDIT: Those weapon-pods could be circular, like the Longbow arms. Considering a configuration carry 2x LRM/15s in these drums, they would look very similar to the Longbow of the link. The (smaller) pod in the right torso would be mounted like the missile drum in the Summoner, possibly dislocating the cockpit to the left.

EDIT: other references:
- I love the "fighter airplane" feel of this mech.
- Bane/Kraken, for the intimidating, solid stance and general body pose. Yeah, if the Overkill looks any similar to this mech, it is my dream come true.

In short, the mech should be chicken legged, look solid, modular, practical (in a military way) and intimidating. A child of a Cauldron-Born and a Kraken. With 3 Longbow drums and one smaller (any shape).

​I better shut up now before you run away.

Edited by Odanan, 14 January 2014 - 02:13 AM.

#7 Darkwolven

• PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 03:02 PM

View PostOdanan, on 10 January 2014 - 04:10 AM, said:

Browsing through the omnimech’s archive, he found a recent entry. A new mech project? That is strange. A mech called “Overkill”. He smirked. So the tech assistant boundsman was studding the omni tech…

Hmm, I was not aware that mechs could procreate. Studding mechs? That's quite an achievement. :ph34r: Just kidding.

#8 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 10 January 2014 - 03:52 PM

View PostDarkwolven, on 10 January 2014 - 03:02 PM, said:

Hmm, I was not aware that mechs could procreate. Studding mechs? That's quite an achievement. :ph34r: Just kidding.

Fixed that! :rolleyes:

#9 Utilyan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,252 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 07:09 PM

View PostOdanan, on 10 January 2014 - 03:52 PM, said:

Fixed that! ^_^

Although you didn't mean it......it actually sounded like a cool slang term for developing new mechs.

#10 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 12 January 2014 - 03:25 AM

View PostUtilyan, on 11 January 2014 - 07:09 PM, said:

Although you didn't mean it......it actually sounded like a cool slang term for developing new mechs.

Well, indeed... ^_^

#11 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:30 AM

OK, so I remade all the mech and adapted the text for it. I just need to say something: "3 UAC/20s with Target Computer".

#12 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 13 January 2014 - 06:54 PM

hmmmm......

the answer to 2 UACS with target comp?

Supernova with 6 ER Large Lasers.

Good luck getting those UAcs into range! :D

#13 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 14 January 2014 - 02:15 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 13 January 2014 - 06:54 PM, said:

hmmmm......

the answer to 2 UACS with target comp?

Supernova with 6 ER Large Lasers.

Good luck getting those UAcs into range! :rolleyes:

First, there are 3 UAC/20s.

1- Wait in cover.
2- Aim to the center mass of the enemy.
3- Fire one salvo (that's 60 to 120 damage to one location).
4- Move to the next target.

:D

PS: the Supernova can't keep firing all of its weapons at the same time and would be eaten alive by the Primary Config.

Edited by Odanan, 14 January 2014 - 03:56 AM.

#14 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 14 January 2014 - 02:19 AM

Similar tactics for the Alt C configuration (the one with 9x SSRM6 - that's the same of 27x SSRM2!).
You can even jump, fire all the SSRMs and fall back to cover.

Edited by Odanan, 17 January 2014 - 02:12 PM.

#15 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:49 AM

real quick rough to see if I am going in the right direction.......
Posted Image
near arm and torso weapon mount removed for clarity

#16 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 14 January 2014 - 10:11 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 14 January 2014 - 08:49 AM, said:

real quick rough to see if I am going in the right direction.......
near arm and torso weapon mount removed for clarity

Definitely on the right track!

I made some annotations:
Posted Image
Oh, this is so exciting!

Edited by Odanan, 14 January 2014 - 10:19 AM.

#17 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 10:25 AM

View PostOdanan, on 14 January 2014 - 10:11 AM, said:

Definitely on the right track!

I made some annotations:
Posted Image
Oh, this is so exciting!

I'm thinking with your aesthetics, lowering the arms ever so slightly might look better too. Not much, but a tad. The grill/grin I already got figured out.

#18 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 14 January 2014 - 10:31 AM

Totally agreed about the lowered arms! It will look more balanced. (but don't forget the torso pods should be in the same high)

The side torsos could also be a little wider, or the arms a little farther from the body to give it a more Kraken/King Crab instance.

Edited by Odanan, 14 January 2014 - 11:30 AM.

#19 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 12:29 PM

View PostOdanan, on 14 January 2014 - 10:31 AM, said:

Totally agreed about the lowered arms! It will look more balanced. (but don't forget the torso pods should be in the same high)

The side torsos could also be a little wider, or the arms a little farther from the body to give it a more Kraken/King Crab instance.

Posted Image

?

#20 Utilyan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,252 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 12:34 PM

This is what went through my mind......"...But there was more. With a chill through his spine, he saw there was a sketch of another, smaller mech."
The story starts with stats of a big mech.....leading to the "horror" of a smaller mech.

Smaller mech ain't a 100 tonner right? The story gives you the stats of a 100 tonner.....but what he is afraid of is a SMALLER mech. You never get the stats of the smaller mech. :)

Posted Image Edit: I'm see this story happening around the 2900's and its precursor of a Mad Dog. "inner sphere barbarian" I just chalk up as a common "freebirth" insult.

Edited by Utilyan, 14 January 2014 - 12:56 PM.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users