• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5,033 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLafayette, IN

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:06 AM

View PostAlmighty Cico, on 11 January 2014 - 04:59 PM, said:

There is a problem with hit detection on them, but I noticed it only happen with ac20, other weapons are fine...

PPCs have the problem as well.

#62 OuttaAmmo NoWai

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 229 posts
  • LocationNot at a macbook

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:07 AM

Half of the time I hit them with ac20, gauss, or ppc, they take no damage, but they'll still go down hard after a huge alpha strike

They can't carry much in terms of weaponry anyway

Watch out for the 2xERLL ones, they can be annoying

#63 AlmightyAeng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:09 AM

Tiny 'mech has tiny hitboxes. Shots to the torso often hit a different section than you were aiming at. Tiny mechs that shrug damage due to hit detection cause more rage than larger ones because the lack of damage is more noticeable. High ping adds to these two things.

That said, if you've got okay ping and aim consistently they still pop like balloons. I do not fear spiders the way I once feared Raven 3L's with invincible lag shields and CT-coring SSRMs.

#64 William T Riker

• PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:33 AM

Spiders are worthless. I wish all spider pilots would just load up ECM, load 10 tons of AMS ammo and just sit there and follow the real mechs around.

#65 Tahribator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:34 AM

No, they're not. Their perks of having a small profile and ridiculous mobility are balanced by them having absolutely terrible firepower.

If you think Spiders are overpowered, you either don't have enough experience with lights, especially Spiders, don't aim properly, or tend to get separated from your main group. Hit detection issues are a general problem with this game and happens with every mech.

Focus your rage on netcode and give it a rest already. They nerfed the Spider already by oversizing the leg hitboxes, and I'm afraid all this talk will lead to Paul overreacting and completely screwing up its hitboxes. Just like he did with the Raven, which suffers from horrible leg hitboxes now.

#66 Jenkss

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 175 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:35 AM

View PostTahribator, on 25 March 2014 - 07:34 AM, said:

No, they're not. Their perks of having a small profile and ridiculous mobility are balanced by them having absolutely terrible firepower.

If you think Spiders are overpowered, you either don't have enough experience with lights, especially Spiders, don't aim properly, or tend to get separated from your main group. Hit detection issues are a general problem with this game and happens with every mech.

Focus your rage on netcode and give it a rest already. They nerfed the Spider already by oversizing the leg hitboxes, and I'm afraid all this talk will lead to Paul overreacting and completely screwing up its hitboxes. Just like he did with the Raven, which suffers from horrible leg hitboxes now.

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks this way.

My poor spider has leg hit boxes the size of atlases now. Very sad. Hope its fixed next patch like the locust was.

#67 Devilsfury

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 432 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:47 AM

I dont think Spiders are "overpowered" as far as damage output. I can see where people think that they are overpowered because they seem to never take damage. I can tell you that I have played well over 6000 games in light mechs and I still have to work twice as hard to kill a Spider as I do any other light mech. Before HSR Spiders were no big deal. They died like any other light would. Even after PGi's so called "fix" they are still completely stupid to kill. Yes, I know there will be 3 others on here saying they are complete ACE pilots and can murder them with a fart and a look but thats BS. Fact is that if you see a Spider die on the battlefield, they have more than likely have already been legged because blowing off a side torso or, by some act of God, you CT kill them. Even after they are legged, sometimes its still hard to kill them if they are constantly jumping. Spider hit boxes are just stupid still Thank goodness they cant carry a large weapon load out or they would be 100% Overpowered for their size.

#68 Silentium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 629 posts
  • LocationA fortified bunker in the mojave desert.

Posted 27 March 2014 - 04:13 PM

Read the forums enough, and all of the heavy ragers will have you believing that mobility of any kind is OP.

#69 Foxfire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 06:59 PM

The only problem with a spider is when there is a significant ping difference between one player and another.

This isn't an issue with the spider itself, though the small size of the spider exaggerates the issue, but with limitations on hit detection when latency extremes are accounted for.

I know that I typically run in the 50-65 ping range.. and I know that if I come upon a spider pilot that is in the 250+ ping range, I will have one hell of a time hitting him/her. If they are closer to my latency, then I will have a much better chance of hitting them.

It is really a combinations of extremes that come together on the chassis that makes it feel overpowered.. and also why there is an inconsistency between experiences regarding successfully attacking them.

*edits to add*

Also, I am a majority light pilot and have times where I follow a spider move for move, sticking to their back, where I cannot land a consistent hit on them... so this isn't heavy v light rage on my part.

Edited by Foxfire, 27 March 2014 - 07:05 PM.

#70 Your Ruler Princess Celestia

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 09:21 PM

It aint spiders thats the overpowered peice of crap.

Its firestarters.

Every time I look at a firestarter before the game starts, I think to myself:
"What a noob." Now before all you butthurt firestarter pilots come up saying " ERMAHGAWD UR A TROLL U NEED TO DIE IN A HOLE UR A NOOB HAHAHA TROLL." Just note:

You circle 5 assault mechs for 6 minutes and take them all out.

You piss off new players and you make them think that this is a Pay 2 win.

You Go 150 kph, while having the firepower of a shadowhawk.

And you call me the troll. Going 150 kph and having shadowhawk equivelent firepower isnt skill. Its called being a jerk. God, I cant get a lock with streaks on you ffs. So do you still feel like youre "Top dog?" or "OP?" If so, you are a souless monster. Get a Commando, See the insults I deal with every day.

#71 Silentium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 629 posts
  • LocationA fortified bunker in the mojave desert.

Posted 29 March 2014 - 06:36 AM

View PostYour Ruler Princess Celestia, on 28 March 2014 - 09:21 PM, said:

You circle 5 assault mechs for 6 minutes and take them all out.

You piss off new players and you make them think that this is a Pay 2 win.

You Go 150 kph, while having the firepower of a shadowhawk.

Most lights can hit 150 (well, 147 typically), and a lot of SHD pilots gimp themselves in the neame of speed. As for circle strafing, I think you'll find that veteran light pilots consider this to be a good way to end up dead.

Seriously, the rage against the firestarter you have could be just as easily directed at any other light in the game. Regardless, I think it was the spider under discussion here in the first place........

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users