#121 Voidsinger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,340 posts
  • LocationAstral Space

Posted 12 January 2014 - 12:54 PM

View PostColonel Pada Vinson, on 12 January 2014 - 12:14 PM, said:

Well if PGI/IGP has the rights to btech via microsoft, I imagine that any art created by fans within the universe belongs to battletech anyhow. So even if PGI is running these ads or some third party they hired is and is using old art assets fans made I really don't see the problem.

Actually, Microsoft only has the videogame rights, which they obtained by buying FASA Interactive (Not FASA itself).

The Battletech (note: not Mechwarrior video game) stuff would all be Catalyst Game Labs.

Even so, they don't have the ability to confiscate fan art copyright. The copyright holder could issue a takedown notice. Reassigning the rights to a work of art isn't everyday stuff (and this is where Terms of Use and EULAs get into very muddy waters on legality).

#122 Roadbeer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 12 January 2014 - 12:56 PM

View PostLonestar1771, on 12 January 2014 - 12:30 PM, said:

You were asking me so I only thought it was polite to return the favor. I mean why should I do something just because some {Dezgra} on the internet asked me to?

LOL, do you even know why you're mad at PGI?

View PostHeffay, on 12 January 2014 - 12:50 PM, said:

Is this in K-town until you can get more info on it, Egomane?

I think I broke the thread

asking a simple question.

then having to ask for clarification

over and over and over

#123 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 01:08 PM

Oh... I just found it here and started reading.

It's been a while since I last saw a real MWO advertisment. I don't know if those posted here are fake or real. Both theories have merit.

I know how spiteful some of the ex-MWO players are and I wouldn't put it past them to create such a thing to showcase PGI/IGP in a bad light (option A). At the same time, I can also see a third party marketing company using these adds, either to create some income from both SS and PGI/IGP work for their own benefit (option B ), or being hired by IGP for marketing and using the wrong artwork (option C).

Considering that PGI/IGP have created their own adds in the past, without the need for third party help, I'm pretty confident it is not option C, but I'm not 100 % sure.

Edited by Egomane, 12 January 2014 - 01:08 PM.

#124 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 12 January 2014 - 01:16 PM

nerd rage is serious business
Posted Image

#125 Fenix0742

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 265 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 January 2014 - 01:17 PM

Fanart is typically protected under fair use, and you're right, they can't confiscate it.

View PostEgomane, on 12 January 2014 - 01:08 PM, said:

Oh... I just found it here and started reading.

It's been a while since I last saw a real MWO advertisment. I don't know if those posted here are fake or real. Both theories have merit.

Well, miss was here earlier, so it was probably she who buried it in the shame cube. Also, if you're claiming fake, just go to sarna.net with your adblocker disabled and refresh till it pops up. It might help to use a browser you don't use for normal browsing. Here's another one that came up. I thought they might have pulled the infringing ad after seeing this, but it cycled up after a couple refreshes.
Posted Image
I swear, the people blaming PGI's failures on the toxic community are just as blind as the toxic community. You're all so quick to excuse their laziness when there's no good excuse why CW has missed deadline after deadline after deadline.

#126 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 01:19 PM

View PostFenix0742, on 12 January 2014 - 01:17 PM, said:

Well, miss was here earlier, so it was probably she who buried it in the shame cube.

Watch it!

This is my home

you're talking about.

#127 Sybreed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,199 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 12 January 2014 - 01:21 PM

Egomane, I really appreciate the help you gave me in the hardware section, but this time I don't think this thread should have been sent to K-Town. PGI or IGP or someone else messed up bad and if you want to cover it up, just lock the thread until an official can comment on this.

I'm very disappointed to see this type of reaction.

edit: It turns out Egomane wasn't the one who moved the thread, my apologies.

Edited by Sybreed, 12 January 2014 - 04:59 PM.

#128 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 12 January 2014 - 01:25 PM

View PostRoadbeer, on 12 January 2014 - 01:19 PM, said:

Watch it!

This is my home

you're talking about.

I still say he has it aptly named :P

#129 DirePhoenix

• 1,565 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 12 January 2014 - 01:25 PM

I swear, the people blaming PGI's failures on the toxic community are just as blind as the toxic community. You're all so quick to excuse their laziness when there's no good excuse why CW has missed deadline after deadline after deadline.

I highly doubt a Dutch web advertising company using inappropriate images in their ads has anything to do with delayed CW.

#130 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 01:27 PM

View PostSybreed, on 12 January 2014 - 01:21 PM, said:

Egomane, I really appreciate the help you gave me in the hardware section, but this time I don't think this thread should have been sent to K-Town. PGI or IGP or someone else messed up bad and if you want to cover it up, just lock the thread until an official can comment on this.

I'm very disappointed to see this type of reaction.

Once again... I'm not the one who moved the thread. And I will most certainly not overrule another moderator. I'm not paid enough (as in: I'm not paid at all) to have this authority.

I posted my opinion on the matter to the thread and I will continue to read it, but I will not be here to be a target for you.

#131 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 01:27 PM

It's probably my fault

as to why it's here.

I was even blamed

for the shattering of

the Gen Desc forum

by someone once.

I'm the reason we

can't have nice things.

#132 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 12 January 2014 - 01:31 PM

PGI or IGP or someone else messed up bad and if you want to cover it up, just lock the thread until an official can comment on this.

That's the thing. Until we get some more clear answers on what happened, this is probably the place for it. PGI and IGP may be just as much of a victim here as Shimmering Sword. Or Shimmering Sword may not be the victim at all in this case. Heck, his ownership of one of the works is in question, as he created it under commission for someone (at least according to his own comments). Doesn't mean he's not the creator, but someone else may be the owner.

And most likely it could be none of the above, but rather a 3rd party hijacking clicks for marketing purposes or to grab referral dollars from IGP, which is probably the most likely scenario.

#133 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 12 January 2014 - 01:33 PM

View PostRoadbeer, on 12 January 2014 - 01:27 PM, said:

I'm the reason we

can't have nice things.

My sources tell me you were baking urinal cakes at the time.

Confirm or deny?

:P

#134 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 01:35 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 12 January 2014 - 01:33 PM, said:

My sources tell me you were baking urinal cakes at the time.

Confirm or deny?

:P

I do not recall,

to the best of my

recollection.

That is, I don't remember.

and my attorney advises

me to invoke the 5th Amendment.

#135 Fenix0742

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 265 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 January 2014 - 01:55 PM

View PostDirePhoenix, on 12 January 2014 - 01:25 PM, said:

I highly doubt a Dutch web advertising company using inappropriate images in their ads has anything to do with delayed CW.

Now you're getting it. It's not the "toxic community's" fault for delayed CW either. The problem I have is with people that champion the idea that PGI can do no wrong instead of holding them accountable for repeatedly failing to deliver.

Also, maybe a bit tinfoil hat here, but I think it's pretty telling that this thread was moved without any comment whatsoever. I suspect that if it really weren't something that IGP was at least somewhat involved the thread would have been debunked and locked. The fact that an IGP employee saw this thread and said nothing at all sounds like they don't want to admit infringement and can't delete it outright since that would probably escalate things given that SS posted here.

#136 Windies

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,477 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 12 January 2014 - 02:02 PM

View PostRoadbeer, on 12 January 2014 - 04:28 AM, said:

Nah dude,
I just capitalize on the comedy those of you who are so easily offended by the slightest thing.

I hear there will be a module in the upcoming revamp called "Thicker Skin" to go in the Pilot Feats slot. You might want to invest in it.

Don't mistake offense for acceptance and disgust.

#137 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 02:04 PM

Posted Image

This looks like a real MWO add. Now compare it to the two in the OP. Pay special attention to the Mechwarrior Online logo.

If you compare them, you'll realize why I don't believe the two in the OP are made or ordered by PGI/IGP.

Edited by Egomane, 12 January 2014 - 02:07 PM.

#138 Wrenchfarm

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 02:07 PM

It's in K-town because it's embarrassing and PGI knows they ****** up. Instead of facing the problem, they'll just sweep it under the rug. Just like they did when they fractured the forums.

View PostShimmering Sword, on 11 January 2014 - 11:33 PM, said:

Yeah I was a bit disappointed, though also amused, to see them goof up like this.

I've already sent them first contact, we'll see what happens.

Shimmering Sword, I love your art. You NEED to take more pride and control though. You worked HARD on your pictures. They are YOURS. PGI shouldn't be able to use them for free because "lel, art on the internet" or "lel, paying artists".

More artists, writers, and creatives need to stand up to companies and bosses that think that "exposure" or "resume builder" is an acceptable response to "how much am I getting paid". They're taking a pay cheque, they're making money, why shouldn't you? Especially when they use YOUR work to make that money.

Stand up for yourself.

View PostEgomane, on 12 January 2014 - 02:04 PM, said:

This looks like a real MWO add. Now compare it to the two in the OP. Pay special attention to the Mechwarrior Online logo.

If you compare them, you'll realize why I don't believe the two in the OP are made by PGI/IGP.

You are in full crazy town territory now Egomane. PGI/IGP stole some art and used it for ads. You can't blame this one on the toxic community.

#139 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 12 January 2014 - 02:10 PM

View PostEgomane, on 12 January 2014 - 02:04 PM, said:

If you compare them, you'll realize why I don't believe the two in the OP are made or ordered by PGI/IGP.

That is pretty telling.

#140 Windies

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,477 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 12 January 2014 - 02:10 PM

Strike what I said, but still poor form jettisoning something legitimate though involving work done by a community member.

Edited by Windies, 12 January 2014 - 02:13 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users