Mwo Has New Google Ads

Answered

273 replies to this topic

#141 kesuga7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts
  • LocationSegmentum solar - Sector solar - Subsector sol - Hive world - "Holy terra"

Posted 12 January 2014 - 02:14 PM

View PostThat Guy, on 11 January 2014 - 11:00 PM, said:

IGP would be in charge of ads and advertising and such. its their job as publisher. and they messed it up

lol

no point in more "PGI is worst DEV EVEAR" QQ

hah yepp

#142 Sybreed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,199 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 12 January 2014 - 02:25 PM

View PostEgomane, on 12 January 2014 - 02:04 PM, said:

This looks like a real MWO add. Now compare it to the two in the OP. Pay special attention to the Mechwarrior Online logo.

If you compare them, you'll realize why I don't believe the two in the OP are made or ordered by PGI/IGP.

the thing is, I really saw the ad on a Cracked.com article I read, and they usually show the standard google ad stuff. If I see it again I'll get a screenshot and post it here.

Also, I thought you were the one who moved the thread, sorry about the misunderstanding.

#143 Heffay

Rum Runner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 12 January 2014 - 02:27 PM

the thing is, I really saw the ad on a Cracked.com article I read, and they usually show the standard google ad stuff. If I see it again I'll get a screenshot and post it here.

The ads are really out there, but the question still remains: Who made them, and why? It doesn't have to be from PGI or IGP, and there are many reasons to believe it's not from either of them. Such as: They've done their own ads before, so why outsource now?

#144 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 02:32 PM

View PostWrenchfarm, on 12 January 2014 - 02:07 PM, said:

You are in full crazy town territory now Egomane. PGI/IGP stole some art and used it for ads. You can't blame this one on the toxic community.

How cute!

Now show me were I put the blame on anyone. I said, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the anti- PGI/IGP crowd did do it, but I only listed that as one of various possible reasons.

But the ads in the OP are so badly made, they scream fake with every pixel. Did you actually do the comparison I asked for, before you made that statement?

View PostSybreed, on 12 January 2014 - 02:25 PM, said:

Also, I thought you were the one who moved the thread, sorry about the misunderstanding.

I believe you, when you say you saw those ads. I just don't believe PGI or IGP put them up there. They look to much like fakes, made by somebody else. Anyone can create a google-ads account and upload such pictures. As far as I know, google doesn't take it to lightly if someone abuses their ads system. So even if PGI/IGP are not doing anything because of this (if these ads are fake), google might.

Of course I accept your apology! :P

Edited by Egomane, 12 January 2014 - 02:36 PM.

#145 Shimmering Sword

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 221 posts
  • LocationPortland Oregon

Posted 12 January 2014 - 02:36 PM

Not sure if any of those making "sue them" and "stand up for yourself" comments are artists/writers/etc that deal with the same legal issues, but I'll go over that a bit here:

Firstly I'll defined the legal status of the two pieces used:
- The Atlas ad is cropped from the cover of TRO3145 Davion. Topps / Catalyst Game Labs holds full rights to this image, I only hold the right to have it in my portfolio.
- The Norseman (Viking mod) is commissioned fan art. I hold the rights to this image, though I also respect the commissioners requests, such as who else I can let use it.

So the Atlas piece is a quarrel with Topps. I'm guessing permission was not given, so this is even bigger than my own problems. Topps has an army of lawyers and takes copyright seriously.
The Norseman is NOT open for fair use by anyone. Not only do I hold the copyright to it, money has also changed hands over it. When I deal with Catalyst/Topps they wont touch my paid commissions with a 10 mile pole coated in lawyers, even when I beg them to. This must be an indication of how it's not a free grab.

Time to sue? No. You tend to sue someone when they cause you quantifiable damages, in order to recoup those damages. This is not damaging, I did not lose nor really miss out on some form of profit.
The appropriate action here is called a "take down notice", a notice telling them to cease what they're doing. This is how the majority of "they took my art" situations end. You tell them to stop, they do stop, done. It's quick and easy and requires very little of my time. Going to court over this would be stupidly time consuming and expensive.

The idea of PGI giving me MC isn't me settling for less than I deserve, it would just be a simple "sorry we messed up, have this" gift. I don't even expect that, if the ads are taken down then everything is in order. If they wanted to continue to use my art in advertising, which is very illogical, then I would expect compensation.

#146 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 12 January 2014 - 02:36 PM

You know what would become

High Comedy?

If SS/PGI/IGP all had to become

co-plaintiffs against some Neckbeard.

I swear, I'd go full Nelson Muntz

#147 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 02:39 PM

I really like your level headed approach on this Shimmering Sword.

Thanks for this clarification of your viewpoint.

#148 KhanHeir

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 03:38 PM

View PostRoadbeer, on 12 January 2014 - 02:36 PM, said:

You know what would become

High Comedy?

If SS/PGI/IGP all had to become

co-plaintiffs against some Neckbeard.

I swear, I'd go full Nelson Muntz

It happened before, google roy calbeck

View PostEgomane, on 12 January 2014 - 02:39 PM, said:

I really like your level headed approach on this Shimmering Sword.

Thanks for this clarification of your viewpoint.

Some one should contact Topps.

#149 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 12 January 2014 - 03:50 PM

Ego is right, the MWO logo is VERY different even if subtle

#150 Chronojam

• 2,185 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 04:16 PM

View PostEgomane, on 12 January 2014 - 01:08 PM, said:

Oh... I just found it here and started reading.

It's been a while since I last saw a real MWO advertisment. I don't know if those posted here are fake or real. Both theories have merit.

I know how spiteful some of the ex-MWO players are and I wouldn't put it past them to create such a thing to showcase PGI/IGP in a bad light (option A). At the same time, I can also see a third party marketing company using these adds, either to create some income from both SS and PGI/IGP work for their own benefit (option B ), or being hired by IGP for marketing and using the wrong artwork (option C).

Considering that PGI/IGP have created their own adds in the past, without the need for third party help, I'm pretty confident it is not option C, but I'm not 100 % sure.

I'm quoting this because it's absurd to think you'd say the "Clearly spiteful fans created these paid, targeted, Google ads to showcase PGI in a bad light" and you're somebody they rely on to have an even head for moderation.

Look at yourself. They don't even need to pay you, either.

#151 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 04:25 PM

View PostChronojam, on 12 January 2014 - 04:16 PM, said:

I'm quoting this because it's absurd to think you'd say the "Clearly spiteful fans created these paid, targeted, Google ads to showcase PGI in a bad light" and you're somebody they rely on to have an even head for moderation.

As absurd that IGP would open themselves

to litigation when they have plenty

of their own artwork that could have been

used?

#152 Sybreed

• 3,199 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 12 January 2014 - 04:26 PM

I think Egomane is trying to play the devil's advocate here, which is completely reasonable considering what the different options are. While I also think it's absurd to think ex-mwo fans would go to such lenghts to put IGP/PGI in such bad lights, it's still an option that has to be considered, even if very unlikely.

The big issue here is that SS isn't getting the recognition he deserves.

Edited by Sybreed, 12 January 2014 - 04:56 PM.

#153 Chronojam

• 2,185 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 04:27 PM

View PostEgomane, on 12 January 2014 - 02:32 PM, said:

How cute!

Now show me were I put the blame on anyone. I said, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the anti- PGI/IGP crowd did do it, but I only listed that as one of various possible reasons.

But the ads in the OP are so badly made, they scream fake with every pixel. Did you actually do the comparison I asked for, before you made that statement?

Well, I was criticizing you just a moment ago but it seems you have found a litmus test suggesting that these were, indeed, sanctioned by PGI. As you requested I compared them to some other official promotional material and PGI's shoddy advertisement often does scream fake. For example, the glaringly malformed buildings and holes-in-terrain visible in the official Victor trailer:

Posted Image

The quality is consistent with the awful audio/visual quality in the latest developer blog, as well. That obviously screamed "Fan Dub."

You've convinced me; the ads are clearly authentic.

#154 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 12 January 2014 - 04:28 PM

^Thinks PGI would illegally use artwork that doesn't belong to them instead of using their paid art department (which is generally regarded amongst the fans and community as awesome) to advertise.... Posted Image

#155 Chronojam

• 2,185 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 04:32 PM

It's probably an equally lazy third party. For example, the online game "Evony" ended up with a third party marketing division that used box art from the C&C Kane's Wrath PC game for their online advertisements.

#156 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 04:33 PM

If it is absurd, then it's a good thing thing that I didn't say that, don't you agree?
I said it wouldn't surprise me if it were the case, but I didn't say that this has to be the case. There is a reason I listed several options and only excluded one of them (and even that not totally).

But yeah... keep telling yourself that I'm a bad guy and it all must be PGI or IGPs fault. It can't be anything else, right?

Edited by Egomane, 12 January 2014 - 04:35 PM.

#157 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 04:33 PM

View PostChronojam, on 12 January 2014 - 04:32 PM, said:

It's probably an equally lazy third party. For example, the online game "Evony" ended up with a third party marketing division that used box art from the C&C Kane's Wrath PC game for their online advertisements.

This I could buy

Like I said earlier in the thread

I saw a War Thunder ad that

had the word "destroy" misspelled

in it.

#158 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 12 January 2014 - 04:40 PM

View PostEgomane, on 12 January 2014 - 04:33 PM, said:

If it is absurd, then it's a good thing thing that I didn't say that, don't you agree?
I said it wouldn't surprise me if it were the case, but I didn't say that this has to be the case. There is a reason I listed several options and only excluded one of them (and even that not totally).

But yeah... keep telling yourself that I'm a bad guy and it all must be PGI or IGPs fault. It can't be anything else, right?

You're a mod
Your evil nature is not in question. It is a fact
I can show you countless polls, duplicate threads(In K-town that is)
A few graphs
Complex Mathematical Equations
and finally factual evidence to prove it if you don't believe my factual statement opinion

#159 Chronojam

• 2,185 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 04:42 PM

View PostRoadbeer, on 12 January 2014 - 04:33 PM, said:

This I could buy

Like I said earlier in the thread

I saw a War Thunder ad that

had the word "destroy" misspelled

in it.

Every patch or so we get a couple sentences that are badly translated from Russian and stick around for a bit. The tragic loss of a biplane is softened somewhat by the notification that "Plane burned down!"

#160 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 04:44 PM

View PostChronojam, on 12 January 2014 - 04:42 PM, said:

Every patch or so we get a couple sentences that are badly translated from Russian and stick around for a bit. The tragic loss of a biplane is softened somewhat by the notification that "Plane burned down!"

"DISTORY ENEMY TANKS"

This alone made me click the ad

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users