#181 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 12 January 2014 - 07:16 PM

View PostColonel Pada Vinson, on 12 January 2014 - 06:55 PM, said:

It's in my mind equally possible some {Dezgra} made a fake adwords account and created all this as it is that IGP hired some skeezy company to advertise and they where so amazingly lazy that they used fan made art, but until we hear an official statement from IGP the only thing this thread is worth right now is the fun speculation and name calling ;)

It is really unlikely.

A realistic scenario is IGP paying a 3rd party to advertise and they screw things up somehow. I've seen this happen before (even popular sites like Anandtech) that have ads that don't follow the protocol/rules there were claimed. It usually takes involving conversations with the advertisers to clear these things up or stop using their system (either breech of contract or just stop paying them).

Even though the "conspiracy" theory sounds plausible, but it is literally just that... a conspiracy theory. Don't make the accusations while blaming other people for doing the same thing... it makes you a terrible hypocrite.

#182 Nekki Basara

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts
  • LocationDublin

Posted 12 January 2014 - 07:20 PM

Just remember, bad press is nearly as good as good press.

So really, whether it's IGP or "haters" doesnt matter. The ad takes them here. The battletech "images" still belong to battletech.

It's in my mind equally possible some {Dezgra} made a fake adwords account and created all this as it is that IGP hired some skeezy company to advertise and they where so amazingly lazy that they used fan made art, but until we hear an official statement from IGP the only thing this thread is worth right now is the fun speculation and name calling ;)
One of the images is licenced to CGL, the other was a custom image for a fan. If neither party nor SS gave permission then you're lookin' at prawblumz.

#183 Roadbeer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 12 January 2014 - 07:41 PM

View PostNekki Basara, on 12 January 2014 - 07:20 PM, said:

One of the images is licenced to CGL, the other was a custom image for a fan. If neither party nor SS gave permission then you're lookin' at prawblumz.

All of which, when a 3rd party

comes into play, as has been

discussed, has nothing to do

with PGI/IGP other than their

mistake in hiring them.

A fact many of your WoL/Kong

nerdragers, fail to notice ;)

#184 DirePhoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,565 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 12 January 2014 - 07:43 PM

Just remember, bad press is nearly as good as good press.

So really, whether it's IGP or "haters" doesnt matter. The ad takes them here. The battletech "images" still belong to battletech.

We covered this within the first few pages. The ads come from MMOtraffic.com, a web advertising company (specializing in MMOs) that is HQ'd in the Netherlands and has recently expanded into North America.

#185 Nekki Basara

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts
  • LocationDublin

Posted 12 January 2014 - 07:53 PM

View PostRoadbeer, on 12 January 2014 - 07:41 PM, said:

All of which, when a 3rd party

comes into play, as has been

discussed, has nothing to do

with PGI/IGP other than their

mistake in hiring them.

A fact many of your WoL/Kong

nerdragers, fail to notice ;)

Are you implying that the third party was given a no-oversight remit to advertise? Because that would just be...

Low effort and dumb... so I guess that makes sense.

#186 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 07:55 PM

View PostVhetra, on 12 January 2014 - 07:15 PM, said:

Get your head out of your ***. Kong probably cares more about this title than you could ever. You can only get burned so many times before you learn not to ******* touch the stove.

LOL, Nope.

View PostNekki Basara, on 12 January 2014 - 07:53 PM, said:

Are you implying that the third party was given a no-oversight remit to advertise? Because that would just be...

Low effort and dumb... so I guess that makes sense.

If I had a nickle for

every time I said,

"Look, I'm busy, figure it out"

and was subsequently burned...

Well, I'd be mocking the poors

in my gold mechs.

#187 Mycrus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 12 January 2014 - 08:24 PM

Minimum viable dev + minimum viable publisher + minimum viable ad company = working as intended.....

#188 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 08:37 PM

LOL

#Noclansbeforecommunitywarfare

should read

#MWOcrybabiesanddramaqueensunited

#189 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 12 January 2014 - 09:02 PM

View PostEgomane, on 12 January 2014 - 05:06 PM, said:

@Chronojam
Your post on the RSI forum, is the exact reason why I do believe in the possibility of haters creating these fake adverts.
https://forums.rober...Comment_1760457

You just had to turn my post into an attack against me. You simply had to make it personal, didn't you? This is such a moraly poor behavior, I'm at a loss for words. The sad part is: You probably don't even realize, that what you did there is wrong. ;)

Angry people are known to do some really "wrong" (to put it ever so mildly) things. And there are a whole lot of people angry at both PGI and those who continue to enjoy and support this game.

#190 Corvus Antaka

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 12 January 2014 - 09:06 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 12 January 2014 - 07:16 PM, said:

It is really unlikely.

A realistic scenario is IGP paying a 3rd party to advertise and they screw things up somehow. I've seen this happen before (even popular sites like Anandtech) that have ads that don't follow the protocol/rules there were claimed. It usually takes involving conversations with the advertisers to clear these things up or stop using their system (either breech of contract or just stop paying them).

Even though the "conspiracy" theory sounds plausible, but it is literally just that... a conspiracy theory. Don't make the accusations while blaming other people for doing the same thing... it makes you a terrible hypocrite.

and so the name calling begins.

#191 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 12 January 2014 - 09:35 PM

View PostColonel Pada Vinson, on 12 January 2014 - 09:06 PM, said:

and so the name calling begins.

I'm not calling you any names (and if that sounded like one, I apologize). I'm pointing out that I've seen enough people taking the extremes to these things (rightfully or wrongfully) and then trying to make the hyperbolic connection. I'm sure I'm guilty of it at times, but I'm not going to jump all over things because "it's plausible". There's not enough evidence to support the "fake MWO ad" idea... it's just a dumb idea even if it were the case.

Right now, Occam's razor is pretty much the answer. Why try thinking too hard when the most likely answer is the most realistic?

#192 TKSax

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,057 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 12 January 2014 - 09:41 PM

Personally I think it is sloppy work by a Third Party, because if the truly wanted to harm MWO they would have the add go to another site. I would also blame the problem in the end end on PGIGP because they did pay for it and you would think someone would at least look at it. Of course I am not going to grap a pitchfork or anything, I will just at it to the list of things that PGIGP is bad at.

#193 Ter Ushaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts
  • LocationGnomeregan, Dun Morogh

Posted 12 January 2014 - 10:00 PM

Looks like "Operation Slippery Fist" is going smoothly.

Good job WoL!

#194 Chronojam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 11:47 PM

View PostEgomane, on 12 January 2014 - 05:06 PM, said:

@Chronojam
Your post on the RSI forum, is the exact reason why I do believe in the possibility of haters creating these fake adverts.
https://forums.rober...Comment_1760457

You just had to turn my post into an attack against me. You simply had to make it personal, didn't you? This is such a moraly poor behavior, I'm at a loss for words. The sad part is: You probably don't even realize, that what you did there is wrong. ;)

I thought you'd enjoy it. Since everybody else gets to be so bombastic and ridiculous all the time, periodically it strikes my fancy to also make an unsubstantiated pot-stirring claim here or there.

#195 Mycrus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 13 January 2014 - 02:35 AM

View PostTer Ushaka, on 12 January 2014 - 10:00 PM, said:

Looks like "Operation Slippery Fist" is going smoothly.

Good job WoL!

We need floo something leak WOL Walter docs to make it believable. ....

#196 Silent

• 1,207 posts
  • LocationButte Hold

Posted 13 January 2014 - 06:50 AM

It was me. I did it.

#197 Sadist Cain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 605 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 07:04 AM

I reckon this company should start running garages

Well y'see sir when you came to get your car fixed I outsourced the brakes to a third party and didn't check them so its not my fault you car doesn't stop...

#198 RG Notch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,987 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 13 January 2014 - 07:21 AM

It's funny how these issues come up with PGI and the script is the same. The cheerleaders are on about how any press is good press, sure the fact MWO is constantly getting bad press is ok, it's better than no press. WOOOT! MWO is getting better than no press.
Then the question is deciding if PGI is stupid, lazy, incompetent, or evil. I guess one of those is a lesser evil.
The cheerleaders comment that the same "hater's are involved, failing to note it's the same cheer leaders on the other side of the issue.
Finally, there is a bizarre conspiracy to blame it on upset former fans because so many games have that many and that dedicated disgruntled fans to feed such theories.
All this says so much good about how PGI has handled the game and the community.

#199 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 13 January 2014 - 07:31 AM

View Post****** Cain, on 13 January 2014 - 07:04 AM, said:

I reckon this company should start running garages

Well y'see sir when you came to get your car fixed I outsourced the brakes to a third party and didn't check them so its not my fault you car doesn't stop...

We still don't know if it was a company outsourced by IGP, or a click farmer/someone abusing referral bonuses. It's a bit early to be laying the blame at anyone's feet.

#200 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 13 January 2014 - 08:01 AM

View PostRG Notch, on 13 January 2014 - 07:21 AM, said:

It's funny how these issues come up with PGI and the script is the same. The cheerleaders are on about how any press is good press, sure the fact MWO is constantly getting bad press is ok, it's better than no press. WOOOT! MWO is getting better than no press.
Then the question is deciding if PGI is stupid, lazy, incompetent, or evil. I guess one of those is a lesser evil.
The cheerleaders comment that the same "hater's are involved, failing to note it's the same cheer leaders on the other side of the issue.
Finally, there is a bizarre conspiracy to blame it on upset former fans because so many games have that many and that dedicated disgruntled fans to feed such theories.
All this says so much good about how PGI has handled the game and the community.

So you think it's more plausible that PGI illegally obtained artwork, placed it in ad rotation, and risked litigation as opposed to using their in-house artwork (which is simply awesome by most accounts) than some outside entity creating a pic and trolling PGI?

Interesting..... :D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users