Answered

273 replies to this topic

#241 Roadbeer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 13 January 2014 - 12:46 PM

And now will come the clarion call that someone should be fired....

Wait for it....

#242 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 13 January 2014 - 12:49 PM

View PostRoadbeer, on 13 January 2014 - 12:46 PM, said:

And now will come the clarion call that someone should be fired....

Wait for it....

Obligatory:

#243 Silent

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts
  • LocationButte Hold

Posted 13 January 2014 - 12:51 PM

The real moral of this story is that you shouldn't use deviantart.

#244 Wrenchfarm

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 12:51 PM

View PostKyle Polulak, on 13 January 2014 - 12:34 PM, said:

Your colourful description of our operations aside; you're right. This was a rinky-dink thing to happen and once I was made aware of the issue (this morning) I took steps to contact Google; find out who created the ad, get the ad removed, get you the facts and move this thread back to somewhere publicly. I am also here to answer any questions if you have any.

I do have a question - why do you tolerate hostile mods? Why is there a dumping zone in the forums where mods and pet-trolls are encouraged to belittle other members? Why is a user like Roadbeer, who does nothing but bait flames and makes reductive non-constructive posts, allowed to just continue trolling on and on, while other users posting legitimate concerns while following the code of conduct are jettisoned into K-town, locked, or deleted?

Look at this thread, "legendary moderator" Egomane was in here claiming the ads were the work of anti-PGI cyber insurgents. I mean, really? This is the kind of moderation you want around here?

Wouldn't a crisp professional "Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I have kicked this up the chain to the proper people. Locking this thread until more information is available" have been better? It would have validated the concern, given you time to investigate, and allowed you all to come back with a composed response.

Instead, they shuttled it to K-town and dumped on your, supposedly valued, playerbase again. Fanning the flames with insane conspiracy theories and hostile posts.

I'm sorry, it is rinky-dink. It is two-bit. The adults in charge shouldn't tolerate it.

For all the complaints about MWO's "toxic community", you have to look at the environment that breeds it.

#245 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 12:52 PM

View PostWrenchfarm, on 13 January 2014 - 11:39 AM, said:

Glad to see this moved out of K-town. It shouldn't have been dumped there in the first place. I hope the mods who were trolling up the thread while it was in K-town are embarrassed to have their posts see the light of day in the forum proper.

Nope! What happens in K-town, happens in K-town. No need to be emberrased over that.

View PostWrenchfarm, on 13 January 2014 - 11:39 AM, said:

So PGI admits that this was a real thing that happened under their watch. I wonder how fast the lunatics claiming it was all a conspiracy from the "toxic community" will admit they were wrong.

Now please show me the post that claimed these ads had to be from the toxic community. I can't remeber one that listed this as the sole possibility for the incident. I know, that I only said I wouldn't put it past them to do such a thing. I listed it as one option out of many. In the end it was the one thing I thought most unlikely. I apologize for judging the situation wrong, based on my experience and expectations, but I can not apologize for a claim I didn't make.

I will never see an apology from those that tried to put this meaning into my written words. I don't expect one either! But please don't claim a holier then thou position you do not actually have.

View PostWrenchfarm, on 13 January 2014 - 12:51 PM, said:

Look at this thread, "legendary moderator" Egomane was in here claiming the ads were the work of anti-PGI cyber insurgents. I mean, really? This is the kind of moderation you want around here?

Please show me exactly where I did that!

Edited by Egomane, 13 January 2014 - 12:53 PM.

#246 Sadist Cain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 605 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 01:00 PM

View PostKyle Polulak, on 13 January 2014 - 12:43 PM, said:

The company was outsourced by IGP and not a single soul at PGI had been given any proofs for this campaign's artwork. I am working with IGP to find out who there, if anyone, had an opportunity to veto this artwork as it contained copyrighted material.

Basic Internet Marketing 101 decrees that a proof should've been sent and approved. This is a process that will definitely happen now; but I desperately want to find out why it happened in the first place. I'm obsessed with learning.

Of course, somewhere the ball was dropped and communication broke down by the sounds of it. Just a pity that scrap rolls downhill and ends up clogging the system down here.

Hope to hear where the process went askew.

Can't help but agree the behaviour of some mods has been less than ideal given the situation and I can't see how they've helped out besides fanning the flames and moderating like they're on some private hosted clanpage with an "Us and Them" mentality which isn't exactly helping the health of the community.

Edited by Sadist Cain, 13 January 2014 - 01:09 PM.

#247 Silent

• 1,207 posts
  • LocationButte Hold

Posted 13 January 2014 - 01:01 PM

You probably shouldn't be giving your personal speculation or theories on anything when it comes to something of this nature, at least when you're using your moderator account.

Hope this helps.

#248 RG Notch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,987 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 13 January 2014 - 01:01 PM

I do have a question - why do you tolerate hostile mods? Why is there a dumping zone in the forums where mods and pet-trolls are encouraged to belittle other members? Why is a user like Roadbeer, who does nothing but bait flames and makes reductive non-constructive posts, allowed to just continue trolling on and on, while other users posting legitimate concerns while following the code of conduct are jettisoned into K-town, locked, or deleted?

Wouldn't a crisp professional "Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I have kicked this up the chain to the proper people. Locking this thread until more information is available" have been better? It would have validated the concern, given you time to investigate, and allowed you all to come back with a composed response.

Instead, they shuttled it to K-town and dumped on your, supposedly valued, playerbase again. Fanning the flames with insane conspiracy theories and hostile posts.

I'm sorry, it is rinky-dink. It is two-bit. The adults in charge shouldn't tolerate it.

For all the complaints about MWO's "toxic community", you have to look at the environment that breeds it.

Have you paid attention to how PGI interacts with the community? If so you'll realize that the mod in question and the rest are par for the course for how they treat the community. Don't forget people with complaints are from an island and who wrote the new CoC.

#249 Kyle Polulak

<member/>

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 584 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 13 January 2014 - 01:04 PM

For all the complaints about MWO's &quot;toxic community&quot;, you have to look at the environment that breeds it.

I don't tolerate 'hostile mods' just as much as I don't believe one persons personal view on a moderator of these forums. If there is truly a problem with a mod, email support@mwomercs.com and if there's more then one of you we will take action.

I absolutely do not tolerate any such actions when they are in front of me, but after my many attempts at becoming omnipotent have failed I can't be everywhere all the time.

I think it was MiSs whom moved the thread; but once I noticed people discussing it being in k-town, I had it moved.

I just wanted to highlight that you are 100% right on your last line. This is just the kind of scenario that breeds toxic community syndrome; and it's why I am here talking to you guys.

#250 Infernus1986

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 249 posts
  • LocationRuss's Island

Posted 13 January 2014 - 01:07 PM

Why is a user like Roadbeer, who does nothing but bait flames and makes reductive non-constructive posts, allowed to just continue trolling on and on, while other users posting legitimate concerns while following the code of conduct are jettisoned into K-town, locked, or deleted?

well that's because he is hostile towards anyone not saying nice things, so its ok to act that way
don't even bother going down this road they will just ignore the instigators as always and allow this stuff to continue because its convenient for them.
Hence the reason the place to talk about MWO is anywhere but the MWO forums.
I do have to commend the mod team for all of their hard work in ktown it would be nice if they would participate that much elsewhere on the forum.

#251 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 01:07 PM

Why's everyone gotta dis on K Town?
It's my belief that all threads should originate in K Town then be moved to the appropriate forum after it's been carefully vetted by the K Town staff.

#252 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 01:08 PM

View PostSilent, on 13 January 2014 - 01:01 PM, said:

You probably shouldn't be giving your personal speculation or theories on anything when it comes to something of this nature, at least when you're using your moderator account.

Hope this helps.

As I do not have a different account, that becomes pretty difficult. I repeatedly mentioned that, as long as I'm not doing moderator work, I'm simply a user like everyone else. Entitled to every right and opinion the other users have. But I guess that's to hard a concept to grasp for some.

I'd like for a concept to make it more clear, but I will not create secondary accounts, just so I can voice my opinion about things. As soon as some witty member of the community finds out which account that would be, I'd need a third one anyhow, as that user-account would then be considered the same as my account now.

Edited by Egomane, 13 January 2014 - 01:09 PM.

#253 Wrenchfarm

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 01:10 PM

View PostEgomane, on 13 January 2014 - 12:52 PM, said:

Nope! What happens in K-town, happens in K-town. No need to be emberrased over that.

Now please show me the post that claimed these ads had to be from the toxic community. I can't remeber one that listed this as the sole possibility for the incident. I know, that I only said I wouldn't put it past them to do such a thing. I listed it as one option out of many. In the end it was the one thing I thought most unlikely. I apologize for judging the situation wrong, based on my experience and expectations, but I can not apologize for a claim I didn't make.

I will never see an apology from those that tried to put this meaning into my written words. I don't expect one either! But please don't claim a holier then thou position you do not actually have.

Please show me exactly where I did that!

See -

View PostEgomane, on 12 January 2014 - 01:08 PM, said:

I know how spiteful some of the ex-MWO players are and I wouldn't put it past them to create such a thing to showcase PGI/IGP in a bad light (option A). At the same time, I can also see a third party marketing company using these adds, either to create some income from both SS and PGI/IGP work for their own benefit (option B ), or being hired by IGP for marketing and using the wrong artwork (option C).

Considering that PGI/IGP have created their own adds in the past, without the need for third party help, I'm pretty confident it is not option C, but I'm not 100 % sure.

You introduce the idea, fan the flames, and discount the possibility that PGI/IGP ordered them from a 3rd party, leaving the choice between unknown con artists and the dreaded anti-PGI community. Guess which theory the trolls in the thread are going to latch onto?

If I was to post something like "PGI is late on CW because A) they are funnelling development money to their Cayman Island account, :D are grossly incompetent, C) underestimated the time it would take to develop. But I don' think it's option C)" You'd moderate the hell out of me because I'm obviously heavily implying the former and just leaving the last option as an escape route so I can say "I JUST LISTED POSSIBILITIES!"

You are a moderator, you're expected to behave to better standards.

View PostEgomane, on 12 January 2014 - 02:04 PM, said:

This looks like a real MWO add. Now compare it to the two in the OP. Pay special attention to the Mechwarrior Online logo.

If you compare them, you'll realize why I don't believe the two in the OP are made or ordered by PGI/IGP.

Fanning the flames. Exactly how is this not you claiming that these ads were the work of nefarious members of the toxic community?

View PostKyle Polulak, on 13 January 2014 - 01:04 PM, said:

I don't tolerate 'hostile mods' just as much as I don't believe one persons personal view on a moderator of these forums. If there is truly a problem with a mod, email support@mwomercs.com and if there's more then one of you we will take action.

I absolutely do not tolerate any such actions when they are in front of me, but after my many attempts at becoming omnipotent have failed I can't be everywhere all the time.

I think it was MiSs whom moved the thread; but once I noticed people discussing it being in k-town, I had it moved.

I just wanted to highlight that you are 100% right on your last line. This is just the kind of scenario that breeds toxic community syndrome; and it's why I am here talking to you guys.

Look through Egomane's posting history. Ask yourself if that is really the kind of person you want representing PGI on the forum.

#254 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 01:13 PM

View PostInfernus1986, on 13 January 2014 - 01:07 PM, said:

well that's because he is hostile towards anyone not saying nice things, so its ok to act that way
don't even bother going down this road they will just ignore the instigators as always and allow this stuff to continue because its convenient for them.
Hence the reason the place to talk about MWO is anywhere but the MWO forums.
I do have to commend the mod team for all of their hard work in ktown it would be nice if they would participate that much elsewhere on the forum.

I totally missed Wrench playing the victim? Thanks for pointing that out to me.

Why is a user like Roadbeer, who does nothing but bait flames and makes reductive non-constructive posts, allowed to just continue trolling on and on, while other users posting legitimate concerns while following the code of conduct are jettisoned into K-town, locked, or deleted?

If you were following the CoC, it wouldn't end up in K Town, locked or deleted.... Just sayin.

View PostSilent, on 13 January 2014 - 01:01 PM, said:

You're suggesting that the MODs get a separate account for posting opinions?

Wow, talk about wanting to head down a slippery slope of potential for Mod abuse.

#255 Infernus1986

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 249 posts
  • LocationRuss's Island

Posted 13 January 2014 - 01:13 PM

View PostKyle Polulak, on 13 January 2014 - 01:04 PM, said:

Is this a joke?
Because I know for a fact that a certain mod has had many legitimate complaints levied against him through support.
Yet he is still a moderator and still doing the same things that many have complained about to support time and time again.

I apologize for being way off topic here but we have to jump at the chance to interact with someone who seems to actually care.

#256 Kyle Polulak

<member/>

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 584 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 13 January 2014 - 01:14 PM

View PostWrenchfarm, on 13 January 2014 - 01:10 PM, said:

Look through Egomane's posting history. Ask yourself if that is really the kind of person you want representing PGI on the forum.

I am asking myself why you keep trying to hijack this Shimmering Sword discussion with your complaints about a mod. You should compile a 'worse of' and email support@mwomercs.com; then we can take official action. Please email if you truly feel we'd be better off hearing about this officially.

#257 Infernus1986

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 249 posts
  • LocationRuss's Island

Posted 13 January 2014 - 01:14 PM

View PostRoadbeer, on 13 January 2014 - 01:13 PM, said:

If you were following the CoC, it wouldn't end up in K Town, locked or deleted.... Just sayin.

you forgot option b where roadbeer trolls the thread constantly till it finds its way there

#258 RG Notch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,987 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 13 January 2014 - 01:15 PM

View PostEgomane, on 13 January 2014 - 01:08 PM, said:

As I do not have a different account, that becomes pretty difficult. I repeatedly mentioned that, as long as I'm not doing moderator work, I'm simply a user like everyone else. Entitled to every right and opinion the other users have. But I guess that's to hard a concept to grasp for some.

I'd like for a concept to make it more clear, but I will not create secondary accounts, just so I can voice my opinion about things. As soon as some witty member of the community finds out which account that would be, I'd need a third one anyhow, as that user-account would then be considered the same as my account now.

It's hard to grasp because it's not true. You have moderator powers, with those powers come responsibility. I imagine that wasn't explained to you and probably because it's not understood at IGP/PGI. They have continually shown they can't manage a community correctly. If you want the powers of a moderator, you should refrain from posting your opinions. If you want to express your opinions, you should give up your title. I know that's probably hard to grasp but that's the way it should be at properly run forums. Obviously, this isn't a properly run forum, i.e. this team can't manage a General Discussion forum, which is standard at virtually all other forums. Nothing is so unique to this community that a GD forum couldn't be maintained. I take that back, IGP is unique to this forum, so there's that.
So continue to play the victim and continue to maintain IGP's image as inept at community management.

#259 Kyle Polulak

<member/>

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 584 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 13 January 2014 - 01:15 PM

View PostInfernus1986, on 13 January 2014 - 01:13 PM, said:

Yet he is still a moderator and still doing the same things that many have complained about to support time and time again.

If this is the case please PRIVATE MESSAGE me your ticket numbers and I'll hop on the literacy train to read them. If they've been ignored I will happily un-ignore them for you.

#260 Tabrias07

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 482 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 01:16 PM

Thank you Kyle for saving my thread. I tried to keep the OP from sounding too negative, but I guess that's not enough to keep something out of k-town.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users