95 replies to this topic

#1 BlackDrakon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 576 posts
  • LocationEl Salvador

Posted 06 December 2013 - 11:39 AM

I see a lot of new stuff, ui2.0, direct X, new mechs, clan tech headsup, etc.etc.etc.

But, srms? when?

After Ghost heat, the current meta is still the same, you nerfed the gauss, added ghost heat, and still, you see poptart online with 2 ppc's and 2 UAC/5, or 2 ppc's and 2 AC/5, or 2 ppc's and an AC/20 (which sux with the hit detection, its great when it registers though) etc.

So, SRMS? why do I keep asking for it? Because if you fix the Hit Detection for the SRM's they will be viable again. You will have mediums back in the game, and we will have brawls again.

The meta will swift into a more balanced drop with true skirmish and brawlers, poptart will be around, but not preodminant as they are now.

We are all excited of what is coming (CW somewhere in time), but, we need to get the weapons we have in perfect shape, to a point where the balance will come naturally thx to the weapons working as intended.

There are a lot of suggestions on how to "balance" the meta, engines, conversion, etc. But the most simple of all is this, FIX SRMS, bring them back to 2.5 damage per missile and make them register the damage as it should, im not even asking to make artemis work on them with the spiral effect, just fix the Hit Detection, make them register and put them back to 2.5. You will see how the meta slowly changes to what it should be; a balanced fight more brawling and less poptart.

You wont have splatcats anymore coz they will suffer from the ghost heat, so there is no real excuse on not fixing them.

<S>

Edited by BlackDrakon, 06 December 2013 - 11:42 AM.

#2 ratgoat

• PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 06 December 2013 - 12:23 PM

It's all tied in with the hit detection issues that have plagued this game from day one. I have no doubt if they had a fix they would be rolling it out asap.

That being said, I wonder if it is possible to get the old SRMs back until they can sort it out. I want the old flight pattern and everything.

#3 Lefty Lucy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 3,924 posts
  • LocationFree Tikonov Republic

Posted 06 December 2013 - 12:24 PM

Even if hit detection were fixed SRMs spread too much to be effective compared to pin point damage.

#4 BlackDrakon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 576 posts
  • LocationEl Salvador

Posted 06 December 2013 - 12:29 PM

View PostLefty Lucy, on 06 December 2013 - 12:24 PM, said:

Even if hit detection were fixed SRMs spread too much to be effective compared to pin point damage.

Not with artemis, and its not an issue in a brawl. If they are rolled back to 2.5 damage per missile and you mount 3 SRM6, we are talking about a 45 alpha in your chest, it doesnt matter if you hit that cored part u wanted, it is going down..... and if it doesnt, it will tear appart the armor on the other components.

You just finish it with the other wpns, Energy or AC's.

#5 Feetwet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 448 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 06 December 2013 - 12:34 PM

SoonTM !

#6 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 06 December 2013 - 12:42 PM

Haven't heard anything about them from the devs in a while, hopefully they'll let us in on its progress Soon ™.

#7 Homeless Bill

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,968 posts
  • LocationA Box Near You

Posted 06 December 2013 - 01:21 PM

There are three threads in Gameplay Balance about SRMs being bad. That number is not nearly high enough. Please, please give us some SRM love. 2.0 is underwhelming, even against a stationary target in the testing grounds.

They a hard-capped range of 270m, the slowest travel time of any weapon, AND they spread their damage - is it really necessary for them to be underpowered as well? Please give me my SRMs back. I miss brawling =[

#8 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 06 December 2013 - 01:29 PM

Yep Ive been patiently wating for SRMs to register properly im getting tired of having to build mechs and go, ooooh SRMs would fit amazingly on this build, but oh wait they do 0 damage sometimes so nevermind. I hate to have to use streaks is basically what im getting at.

Edited by DONTOR, 06 December 2013 - 01:29 PM.

#9 BlackDrakon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 576 posts
  • LocationEl Salvador

Posted 06 December 2013 - 01:33 PM

Fixing SRM's is the best way to balance the meta, Im convinced about it, I just dont know why they dont see it like this.

If they put half of their resources in this particular item, it will automatically bring the mediums back to the game, the brawling back to the game, and the poptarts will pay the consequences of letting those mediums and brawlers get in less than 250 meters.

Its a win win situation, I dont know why PGI doesnt look at it like this and fix them. They have been broken for a year now, A YEAR!! not even PPC were useless that long.

#10 Kaldor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 06 December 2013 - 02:38 PM

When brawling died, the game pretty much died. MWO has been on a mid to long range fire meta kick for almost the last year.

Im not even sure if bringing back SRMs at 2.5 damage would help brawling with as p_sspoor as the hit detection is.

#11 Nothing Whatsoever

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 06 December 2013 - 03:14 PM

I don't like raising damage. I'd rather tweak ammo per ton and boost their speed.

With Hit Reg issues, I wonder if reducing the number of projectiles that need to be tracked for missile weapons could help?

So instead of having each missile tracked individually by the server, have SRMs and SSRMs track missiles in groups of two missiles, and LRMs in groups of five.

For example, an SRM 6 then fires three clusters instead of six individuals missiles, then an LRM 20 would fire four groups of five instead of twenty individual missiles.

Then with AMS instead of damaging missile health, maybe simply have AMS reduce missile damage directly?

#12 Alexandrix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 910 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 03:19 PM

Shut up and buy more MC! don't you know there's a sale on?!

#13 Blurry

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts
  • LocationGreat White North

Posted 06 December 2013 - 03:19 PM

They are fixed - it is everything else that is broken
but UI 2.0 will make it all better

Edited by Blurry, 06 December 2013 - 03:22 PM.

#14 PropagandaWar

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,495 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 December 2013 - 03:22 PM

View PostDONTOR, on 06 December 2013 - 01:29 PM, said:

Yep Ive been patiently wating for SRMs to register properly im getting tired of having to build mechs and go, ooooh SRMs would fit amazingly on this build, but oh wait they do 0 damage sometimes so nevermind. I hate to have to use streaks is basically what im getting at.

Sometimes is an understatement. More than half is the correct one.

#15 Greyboots

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 396 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 03:31 PM

At the moment all "multiple hit" weapons are suffering heavily at the hands of hit registration and the server's predictive algorithms.

Many forget that they rolled back the net code a few patches back and that's where a lot of the present issues come from.

ON PAPER SRMs are quite good. I sued to use them a lot because they were great. Then they rolled back the net code and they started having hit issues that reduced the damage they do in a significant way.

Until the net code is fixed and things hit like they are supposed to? We actually won't knwo where the true balance lies.

Try it some time. Go to the Training grounds with SRMs and you'll absolutely shred just about every mech there in short order (remember that mechs in the training grounds are basic, unimproved variants so it's not quite as bad as that makes it look!). Live servers? Your client shows you a direct hit but you do no damage.

Client says yes, server says no, server wins. This is actually quite a big problem at the moment.

#16 OneEyed Jack

• 2,500 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 04:36 PM

Even with everything PGI has done wrong, and the half-baked ideas they've run with, I honestly believe that they are not ignoring hit detection. They just have no clue how to fix it. And being PGI, they refuse to "go backwards" to a point where weapons actually did damage every time they hit. :D

#17 YueFei

• 2,184 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 06:19 PM

Maybe they should just remove SRMs from HSR for now. At least we will be able to hit stationary or slow targets just leading the shot ourselves. Make it so we see the firing delay on client-side, so if I have a ping of 150 ms, when I pull the trigger on my SRMs I will see them fly out 150 milliseconds later. At least this way what you see happening on screen is where the missiles really flew to and hit.

The other thing that made SRMs frightening in the past was the overlapping splash damage, which has been effectively removed. In the past, with splash damage, you could fire a pair of SRM6 at someone's CT, and even if only half of the missiles directly hit the CT, the other 6 missiles that hit LT and RT would also deal splash damage to the CT.

The problem with splash damage is that it was radius-based, so on smaller mech models it was massively unfair, the overlapping splash spheres were completely wrecking them. Instead of using radius-based splash damage, they should just do a damage-transfer mechanic to adjacent locations. If an SRM hits CT, it can also transfer "splash" damage to the LT and RT. If it hits LT, it can transfer some damage to Left Arm and CT. If it strikes an arm, it transfers to the corresponding side torso. If it strikes a leg, it can transfer damage to the corresponding side torso. And if it hits the head, it can transfer some damage to the CT.

Edited by YueFei, 06 December 2013 - 06:21 PM.

#18 A banana in the tailpipe

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,705 posts
  • Locationbehind your mech

Posted 06 December 2013 - 06:23 PM

Having a crisp 32 ping helps. I've been owning constantly with SRMs tonight. Just treat them like blunderbuss. Also, holy hell the LBX owns now. I've never broken 800+ damage in my jager before until now.

#19 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 06 December 2013 - 06:31 PM

TBH, the SRM hitreg awfulness happened a lot near the HSR implementation for missiles. However, it probably happened before that when the SRM flight pattern changed (it was the #1 thing whined about due to how bad the spread was w/o Artemis).

I would hazard a guess that PGI's best solution is to completely redo the flight pattern AND the HSR code at the same time, instead of trying to fix it... since having to do both "should" address this behavior better.

#20 Asmudius Heng

• Survivor
  • 2,429 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 06 December 2013 - 06:54 PM

While SRMs are bad - i gotta say i still see heaps of brawling so its not dead.

Good SRMs would be brilliant for the game but its all about the hit detection rather than the weapon stats i think

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users