The Noble Quickdraw, And Why, Contrary To Popular Opinion, It Is Not A Bad Chassis

21 replies to this topic

#1 Israel Finklestein

• PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 03:33 PM

Hello, I am Israel Finklestein, and I play a Quickdraw that is painted like an ice cream truck Popsicle. Despite playing what is reputed to be one of the worst mechs in the game, I do pretty well for myself, averaging 350-500 damage per match, with the occasional game nearing the 1,000 damage mark.

In this thread, I will refute, I hope, the slanderous, libelous misconception that the Quickdraw is a bad mech. Yes, it has some bad variants. Yes, there are not many effective builds. But there is at least one which this mech really excels at, and I have yet to find a mech that can execute it nearly as well as the Quickdraw. The build in question is as follows

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...28da7fa951ac708

The build fits like a glove on the chassis allowing for the biggest engine possible, enough heatsinks, and high armor. With x2 basic efficiencies, it runs respectably cool, since the lasers are intended as a secondary weapon and usually aren't in use alongside your PPCs. Its only real competitor for running this build effectively is the Jester, and I hope to convince you that the Quickdraw is flat out better at it.

The chassis also gives this build three key advantages that won't show up on Smurfy's

1. Speed. The Quickdraw is the fastest mech that can fit this build. With an XL360, you're running 106 when elited. Speed is essential for obtaining good positioning, which is obviously important for any weapon with a minimum range. It also makes you much more survivable. To be frank, running this fast, you play more like a Medium than a Heavy mech. It's very easy to fire off a few volleys, then make a run for it when the heavier mechs of the enemy team notice you.

2. Height. The PPCs are mounted high on the torsos, which is the Quickdraw's primary advantage over the Jester, which is a more squat and compact mech. The Quickdraw is naturally a very tall mech (for reference, despite being 60 tons, it is roughly as tall as a 95 ton Highlander), normally this is seen as a weakness, but it can also be leveraged into a strength. To poptart or fire from cover, you only need to expose your very squat head and half of your already small torsos. A Jester needs to expose practically everything except for its legs.

3. A flattering hit profile. Being tall in MWO isn't as bad as being wide, as few players actively aim for the head (since the chances of cockpitting someone at long range are pretty low), instead firing center of mass. Smaller center of mass = more survivable, bigger center of mass = quick death (see, DRG, AWS, ect.). That aside, the Quickdraw has fairly thick arms and very small torsos (just look at them in the Mechlab, they're barely big enough to cover the weapon hardpoints), making it a very XL safe mech, with the side benefit of protecting weaponry you keep in the torsos. I have only ever had a PPC critted off once in about 150 matches played with them. Some people complain about the core being a little large, but I also play Jenner and Catapult, so believe me when I say it: the CT is not bad on the Quickdraw. In fact, the biggest hitboxes on the Quickdraw are its gigantic legs.

Most of the Quickdraw's height is in its legs, and people aiming low on the torso will often pour shots into them. If you run less than 40 leg armor, I guarantee you will be legged at least twice as often as you are cored in a Quickdraw. The huge legs combined with jump jets means you can use them to soak up a LOT of damage, making you deceptively durable. I've had very many matches where I've gone down to 30% or less while still in full operating condition

As for the particulars of the build, and other potential Quickdraw builds:

1. Why PPCs and not ERLL or LL? Because ERLL/LL require you to expose yourself for a longer period of time to get off their full damage (aka, more time where the enemy can return fire), and require you to slow down to prevent damage spreading. The Quickdraw doesn't like to do either of these things. Laser builds are better suited to either mechs with more armor or mechs that are smaller targets right now IMO. If you want to try x4ML/x2LL on something speedy I suggest trying the BJ-1X, which is also much lower tonnage for when they start implementing meaningful tonnage limitations. The Jester is also better at that sort of build I feel, and it can mount x2AMS for maximum swag.

2. Why so much back and leg armor? Leg armor is a necessity. My 'standard' leg armor for most mech builds is usually 30 and it's usually not a big deal. In a Quickdraw, it is a huge deal. I was getting legged in probably 70% of my games until I upped it to what it is now. In fact, this was why I put ferro-fibrous on, not so I could get an extra heatsink. I run high back armor because when you are playing a mobile mech, back armor is much more important. The #1 threat to you when playing fast mediums/heavies is the light. Lights typically lack the firepower to punch through heavy front armor, so they aim at the back. When they don't have the firepower to get through your back quickly, they run into pretty major problems trying to fight you directly, which allows you to escape to your team, or to laser the little ******** in the legs. x4ML is about the same level of armament the typical light mech carries, and they'll overheat much faster than you do running it.

3. Why not try LRMs on one of the Quickdraw variants? Quickdraws have poor tube configurations for LRMs. The best one, the 4H, has one 4 tube, one 5 tube and one 10 tube hardpoint. That and height isn't really an advantage for indirect fire weapons, while lower tonnage is a pretty big disadvantage to ammo intensive LRM builds. The one area where the Quickdraw has a significant advantage is speed, which is very nice to have on an LRM boat. That said, you're probably better off trying to run LRMs on a catapult.

4. Why not try a brawler build? There are much better brawlers out there, being tall isn't an advantage in a brawl and the Quickdraw has major problems controlling its heat in a brawl (unlike with this build, you'd be using all of your weapons at the same time), since it's too light to load up on heatsinks without dropping the engine size and can only run lasers/SRM (streaks are possible, but any given streak build will be 100% outclassed by the SHD-2D2).

So that wraps it up. The Quickdraw is not a particularly diverse or versatile mech, but it's not a bad mech. It has its standout build just as the Kintaro had its standout build before Shadowhawks came around to steal the spotlight as 'that one really good medium'. And it looks like a Gundam. I rest my case.

#2 rolly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 995 posts
  • LocationDown the street from the MWO server

Posted 14 January 2014 - 03:40 PM

Great points, thank you for writing this.

I appreciate your in-depth review as to why. I've always disliked the Quickdraw, as far back as TT. But then again, I prefer old school TT rules, and prefer to keep original loadouts stock as much as possible. I'll consider it even though aesthetically a Quickdraw does nothing for me. :)

#3 Vidarok

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • LocationVestibule of Creation

Posted 14 January 2014 - 03:42 PM

It's too big. Have you seen the comparison chart that one guy made? It plays like a medium, is fast and has decent armor... but it's the size of a Victor. With less hardpoints.

The point is, why use this 'mech when there are "better" alternatives? It's not a fact, but it's the common opinion about the QKD. And it's that way for a good reason.

#4 Israel Finklestein

• PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 03:50 PM

View PostVidarok, on 14 January 2014 - 03:42 PM, said:

It's too big. Have you seen the comparison chart that one guy made? It plays like a medium, is fast and has decent armor... but it's the size of a Victor. With less hardpoints.

The point is, why use this 'mech when there are "better" alternatives? It's not a fact, but it's the common opinion about the QKD. And it's that way for a good reason.

It's not that lacking in hardpoints when compared to a Victor. The particular variant I use has six. There is no Victor with more than seven. It appears you're making an argument about hardpoint diversity, and there I agree and make that abundantly clear in the post. the Quickdraw is in no way a 'diverse' or 'versatile' chassis. There are not a wide variety of things you can do with it. There are less viable Quickdraw build across its 3 variants than there are viable variants of the Victor.

But there's no Victor that can run this build in particular, and the Quickdraw's chassis quirks provide distinct advantages over every other mech which can run it.

#5 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 14 January 2014 - 03:51 PM

I run my Quickdraw with LRMs, and it does very well with them. I think it's a common misconception that the Quickdraw can't make a decent LRM mech. (The trick is not to boat them, but have some form of defense as well.)

I also have a Quickdraw set up similar to yours, but with 4 med and 2 large (not ER). It works well for range, but the trick is to fire respective groups (4 med as one group, 2 large as the other) with some spacing as you get closer. This keeps the fire pouring into the target quickly. And, don't forget you can withdraw and jump away if needed.

I feel that all Chassis of mech can work very well in MWO, given the right build with the right pilot. (I seem to be down right dangerous with some very "Bad" mechs, such as the Dragon, Quckdraw, Raven 4X, etc.) Sometimes it is the style of play that effects the mech more than anything else, and not all mechs will fit everyone's style of play.

#6 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:04 PM

View PostTesunie, on 14 January 2014 - 03:51 PM, said:

I run my Quickdraw with LRMs, and it does very well with them. I think it's a common misconception that the Quickdraw can't make a decent LRM mech. (The trick is not to boat them, but have some form of defense as well.)

I also have a Quickdraw set up similar to yours, but with 4 med and 2 large (not ER). It works well for range, but the trick is to fire respective groups (4 med as one group, 2 large as the other) with some spacing as you get closer. This keeps the fire pouring into the target quickly. And, don't forget you can withdraw and jump away if needed.

I feel that all Chassis of mech can work very well in MWO, given the right build with the right pilot. (I seem to be down right dangerous with some very "Bad" mechs, such as the Dragon, Quckdraw, Raven 4X, etc.) Sometimes it is the style of play that effects the mech more than anything else, and not all mechs will fit everyone's style of play.

oh I wanna see THAT build! I have avoided the Quickdraw for just this reason. If I can get at 20-30 LRMs on it, it's worth a solid look. Smurfy's shows a tube issue that kept me away because AMS would chew the vollys into ribbons. I so want a very fast heavy

#7 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:15 PM

View PostKjudoon, on 14 January 2014 - 04:04 PM, said:

oh I wanna see THAT build! I have avoided the Quickdraw for just this reason. If I can get at 20-30 LRMs on it, it's worth a solid look. Smurfy's shows a tube issue that kept me away because AMS would chew the vollys into ribbons. I so want a very fast heavy

I have 25 Artemis LRMs that shoot in a volley of 15 and 10 in rapid succession. What I tend to notice with AMS, unless they drastically changed it, even if AMS shoots down the first volley, the second volley normally gets through completely intact. Of course, I also normally shoot most of my LRMs between 600-200m, or I try to. I'm also not afraid to use the 4 med lasers I have on the mech either.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...65b3282b26dba2e

My stats are in the spoiler. They are a couple months old, but should give you an idea how it runs with me. (Do consider that it records the good matches, the great matches and the "I didn't do anything, got ambushed and died too fast" matches.)
Spoiler

Damage per match is 284 damage per match. With a test pool of 96 matches, that seems to be a decent enough pool of numbers.

Edited by Tesunie, 14 January 2014 - 04:32 PM.

#8 Vidarok

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • LocationVestibule of Creation

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:51 PM

View PostIsrael Finklestein, on 14 January 2014 - 03:50 PM, said:

It's not that lacking in hardpoints when compared to a Victor. The particular variant I use has six. There is no Victor with more than seven. It appears you're making an argument about hardpoint diversity, and there I agree and make that abundantly clear in the post. the Quickdraw is in no way a 'diverse' or 'versatile' chassis. There are not a wide variety of things you can do with it. There are less viable Quickdraw build across its 3 variants than there are viable variants of the Victor.

But there's no Victor that can run this build in particular, and the Quickdraw's chassis quirks provide distinct advantages over every other mech which can run it.

No word on its size? You're okay with it being as big as an assault?

I feel like just selling the 5K. I honestly love how it looks but I can't play it... I feel like its size is what limits its potential. I'm fine with having no ballistics, just let me be hard to notice so I can lay down some unsuspected fire.

Maybe I should just stick to using lights.

Edited by Vidarok, 14 January 2014 - 04:52 PM.

#9 Israel Finklestein

• PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:34 PM

Yes, the size is a disadvantage, IF you are being shot at. Which is why the PPC build works so well on it, you can deliver 20 pinpoint alpha (I forgot to add that the 5K's PPCs are also mounted closer together than they would be on a Jester, which is another nice little advantage to prevent damage spread) from a pretty decent distance, you don't need to expose yourself too much to fire because the PPCs are so high on the torso.

You pretty much need to avoid letting anything heavier than you are getting too close to you, you hang out on the periphery of the fight and take shots at enemy critical components (especially backs, and torsos on XL happy mechs). You move fast enough that nothing except for lights and the odd fast medium is likely to keep up with you, and you have enough short range armament to deal with them nine times out of ten.

I'm not arguing that the mech wouldn't be better if it was more proportional to its tonnage (and let's face it, QKD is far from the only chassis with serious issues in this department), but the size does actually give it one significant advantage in the height of its torso energy hardpoints. And if you're not running a build that can leverage that advantage, you're only suffering from its downsides.

Even with its problems, there's no way it should be THIS rare, I see more Fangs and Pretty Babies than Quickdraws.

#10 kesuga7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts
  • LocationSegmentum solar - Sector solar - Subsector sol - Hive world - "Holy terra"

Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:50 PM

man i run 56 leg armor on my quickdraw 5K
i die SO OFTEN to double legging (Then Center torso or side torso)

Quickdraw is underated chassis and one of my favorites though and good build israel
though i am worried about the number of heatsinks but it still seems manageable

Edited by kesuga7, 14 January 2014 - 08:51 PM.

#11 Skyfaller

• 1,332 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:30 PM

I set up the Quickdraw 5K (only one worth using IMO) with:

XL 350 & 4 internal DHS
Ferro+Endo
2 LP Laser
4 SM Laser
4 Jumpjets

This build works fantastic if you set the LPL to one group and SML to a second firing group and chain fire them both.

With your incredible speed and jumping ability you can keep a nonstop rate of fire that does devastating damage if you know how to aim (I'm a spider pilot so im very used to speed-run-aim with arm & torso weapon).

It generally goes like this:

LPL
SML
LPL
SML
SML
SML
repeat.

At range (~400m and below) you obviously only fire the LPLs...which compared to loading just full medium lasers keeps your mech cool so that at 100m when you close in quick thanks to your amazing speed you start shredding them with the SML.

#12 Texas Merc

• The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:53 PM

I kept the 4H because my build is fun to play from time to time.

This 'mechs main issue is that it is 5 tons heavier than the Shadowhawk, but its profile is almost twice as big.

Also, thunderthighs.

#13 Kyynele

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 973 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 10:14 PM

View PostIsrael Finklestein, on 14 January 2014 - 03:33 PM, said:

To poptart or fire from cover, you only need to expose your very squat head and half of your already small torsos. A Jester needs to expose practically everything except for its legs.

Just wanted to point out:

A Jester with arm mounted PPCs doesn't even have to expose the head when poptarting. I've got many hits when a team mate has targeted an enemy, poptarting so that just the arms are above a ridge and taking a shot towards the red target square barely even seeing the target myself. Also, when on your own, you can make do with a very low jump for the exact same reason, taking a shot when you're falling down, already losing line of sight.

I'm not necessarily claiming that it's better than QKD in that regard because of the really big CT, but honestly I don't think there's a major advantage here for either.

#14 Modo44

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 06:07 AM

Too hot and too big. No wall of text will automagically fix that. It can work in certain situations with a good pilot, but even the Locust can.

#15 627

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 06:21 AM

View PostIsrael Finklestein, on 14 January 2014 - 03:33 PM, said:

Hello, I am Israel Finklestein, and I play a Quickdraw...

Hi Israel. I'm 627 and I played with my Quickdraws, too.

Please have a seat, I'm sure we can all talk about our... mechs. Everything is fine, back there we have some donuts and coffee and if you feel uncomfortable just let me know.

#16 Arnold J Rimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 892 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 06:37 AM

So, making another chassis usable through PPC poptarting, and saying it's good for little else. Got it.

#17 rageagainstthedyingofthelight

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 306 posts
  • LocationTerra Therma, shut down

Posted 15 January 2014 - 06:38 AM

As a Jester pilot I would like to take a moment to say something I almost never get to say....

I think a Jester does better with that particular build.

I would say the comparison goes like this:
PPC's:
Jester has higher mounts that allow for great pop tarting and over-hill-shooting
QD has better weapons convergence

Speed/Heat:
QD will be a touch faster, Jester will be a bit more heat efficient

Manuverability:
Not sure about the QD, but the Jester is so agile for it's weight I feel like a Jenner pilot.

Cost:
Jester costs MC, because you have to pay to look that good, or you can be ugly for free.

Recommendations:
If you use your PPC's for sniping, and your lasers for in close fighting, try 4 SPL, they are more heat efficient, and their range keeps away the temptation to use them with your PPC's and driving you into shutdown.

They both face:
The fact that these mechs require more skill than the meta-mechs, but I take that as a good thing. Separates the pilots from the COD wannabees.

*edited because no matter how many times I proof-read, I suck.

Edited by rageagainstthedyingofthelight, 15 January 2014 - 06:39 AM.

#18 warner2

• 1,101 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 03:46 PM

Nice post. I used to love the 3PPC QD. I might take this one out for a spin. The Jester does do a very similar build well, too, so the QD doesn't quite have the monopoly at this build at this sort of weight.

View Postrageagainstthedyingofthelight, on 15 January 2014 - 06:38 AM, said:

As a Jester pilot I would like to take a moment to say something I almost never get to say....

I think a Jester does better with that particular build.

I would say the comparison goes like this:
PPC's:
Jester has higher mounts that allow for great pop tarting and over-hill-shooting
QD has better weapons convergence

Would arm-lock help there? If you've got arm-lock on at the point of firing it should help with funky convergence of arm mounted weapons, at least that's what I've found.

Edited by warner2, 15 January 2014 - 03:47 PM.

#19 Little Details

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 172 posts
  • LocationSt Louis, MO, USA

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:46 AM

if you really want to add FF to get the engine (instead of more DHS), this is a better build by dropping to an xl350 for +1JJ and armor for - 3kph:
QKD-5K

And this is by far the best variant of the qkd's. However, as someone pointed out, it's just another housing for jumping ppc's. It's how you have to run this variant, but there is still no excuse for this horrible chassis overall.

#20 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:56 AM

Good post by the OP but man I bet that sucker runs hot!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users