Ui 2.0 Preview 3⅓ - Feedback Questionnaire

357 replies to this topic

#81 Jojobird

• PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:42 AM

1) What is it that you like about the UI 2.0 Preview? (Please enter as many items as you wish.)
The general look is very polished, well designed and nice. The art team did an amazing job imo, congrats to them. I also really liked the new camo interface, though it would be nice to make it possible to get all colors up at once as box and then select by clicking.
2) What do you like least about the UI 2.0 Preview?
UI tooltips for weapons are slow or stop appearing at all after some tinkering, there is no way to see your whole mech in the mechbay (ever tried smurfys?), the font and the general "slot box" in the "filled slots" items is dreadful, probably some sort of anti aliasing or just too small but it's hard to read (maybe if oyu made it a bit more 3D?), there is no tooltip preview for the equipped weapon on mouseover, tooltips are generally too slow, it would be nice if you could put tooltips side my side for mechs and weapons and toggle display with zero, current and full skills, Currently it's all very nice, but I guess I'm an engineer at heart and like efficient design UIs more than pretty ones.
I also wish I could 3D rotate my mechs, not just spin them. The mech view, however, is just beautiful.
Oh and a beep on mouseover for 40 items is pretty bad, If I scroll down 40 mechs, it's just like a bad techno song. ;)

EDIT: I didn't want to say it so I went back to the original game to try and design a mech from the existing UI and it is MUCH easier. To be honest though, I always do the design work in smurfy and then just use the current mechlab to do the "copy paste" of the setup. I'm definitely not going to be designing anything in the new mechlab.

3) What are your impressions of the Social system in the Front-End?
It is severely lacking in funcionality, you basically have PM, invite to group and firend, as it is now. It's much nicer compared to what we have in term of looks, but at the very least we could use general channels, and channels for clan, perhaps mail system. I didn't actually get into group so I don't know if the group screen itself is changed.
4) What are your impressions of the Store menus in the Front-End?
not very clear but I'll probably get used to it. Had no idea if I was buying a mech with cbills or mc.
5) What are your impressions of the in-game interface?
very polished, nice
6) Any other comments or concerns?
Everything has been made much prettier, which is really nice. But I wish more focus was put on functionality. As long as it is easier to build a setup in smurfy (with clear info on everything), than it is in the actual game, I honestly think more wokr could be put into the game menu design.

Edited by Jojobird, 16 January 2014 - 01:47 PM.

#82 Sereglach

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,563 posts
  • LocationWherever things are burning.

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:43 AM

1) What is it that you like about the UI 2.0 Preview? (Please enter as many items as you wish.)

-I enjoyed the overall layout of the store.
-I liked the overall improvements at displaying mech and equipment data.
-Being able to turn and look at the selected mech at nearly any time.
-Having all mech customization handled at once before updating/saving the mech was very pleasant to see.

-I would prefer an interface for the mech-lab that is more in tune with a setup such as Smurfy's. The current mech-lab, although nice, feels extremely overcomplicated for people who know what they're doing and what they want.

-It still feels very rudimentary, but I understand that there were a large quantity of known issues with the social system.
-There seemed to be an issue with needing to double click the social pane to reopen it after closing it each time.
-I'm not thrilled with the fact that the social panel forcibly pushes everything to the back whenever it is pulled up.

-The stores dynamic updating was great. I look forward to seeing bundles and such instituted.
-On the other hand, the store could really use the sub-menus back for the mechs themselves. The filter system didn't seem to work, however that could have been a bug for me.

-Significantly crisper. However I do think the locations of certain menus, such as the inventory, testing grounds, and tutorials would be better served in different locations, such as in the mech-lab and under the play-now selection.

-Renaming mechs? I was unable to do this during the tutorial.
-Mech icons updating? Again something subtle, but would be nice to see instated as originally envisioned.
-Tool tips for equipment should show up significantly quicker.
-PLEASE give the ability to just clear a key mapping. There are some controls that some people do not use and do not want to accidently hit while in combat.

#83 Capt Jester

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 269 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:43 AM

• It is prettier than UI 1.5
  • New Social tab is good
  • New Camo Spec customization is pretty slick
  • Store format is good. I hope it will deliver on the promise of 'Packages' and eliminating the need for server updates for sales.
  • Fewer dialogs when editing Mech loadouts. I really like this. I can edit Modules AND Loadout without a dialog asking me to save in between.
  • You devs claim to have addressed player feedback, but I did not see any visible evidence of effort made to improve ease of use of the MechLab and subsequent Configuration screen. It looks nice, but it is simply not useable. I think it's fair to say most users do not like UI2.0 because of the MechLab. Smurfy's MechLab is popular because it is SO easy to make builds, and EVERYTHING you need to know is there, in a very simple interface that doesn't use any fancy Scaleform animations.
  • Still can't find Hardpoints and equipped weapons of Mechs. I shouldn't have to dig for this information. It should ALWAYS be displayed. I don't give a flying **** about torso pitch and yaw. Replace that with pertinent information like the Mech's hardpoints and equipped weapons.
  • Too much clicking to get to where I want to be.
  • Menu sounds are still annoying, albeit much better than the previous preview. Please just give us an option to disable them.
  • I miss the Ready list. It takes too long to get to the 4 Mechs I'm currently using, but getting to Mechs that are not on my ready list is now much easier.
  • We need more Filters.
  • Modules can't be filtered by owned/all/unowned.
  • Cockpit Items can't be filtered by owned/all/unowned.
  • Need more sort options for Mech list. Sort by Chassis: asc/desc, sort by type: hero/champ/default, etc.
  • After reading some other people's feedback, I will add this to my list: Smurfy's mech builder is beautifully easy to use. Take a lesson from him and make something like that.
  • Improvement over previous version. I'd like to see a 'Close' button for the chat window, though.
  • I love the group member list. Seeing what Mechs my friends are dropping in is invaluable to me.
  • I like it.
  • No Filters? All I heard about for months was "FILTERS FILTERS FILTERS" and then they are only used for maybe 4 screens? PLEASE use Filters so much we get sick of hearing about all of the filter options we have.
  • Feels much more slick.
  • The new font is very nice, but there are some text clipping issues (CRITICAL DAMAGE for instance) that need to be resolved.
  • Still no 'Resume Game' option in the Escape menu. Even though it would seem obvious you press Escape again, I see no reason to add one anyways.
  • Configure screen in MechLab still needs lots of improvement. I can't double-click to add/remove Modules, equipment, ammo, weapons, engines, etc. This is a small feature that we all take for granted and I noticed it was gone immediately. Still lots of clicking to get to where I want to be.

Edited by Capt Jester, 16 January 2014 - 12:30 PM.

#84 BlackJackRaider

• PipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • 84 posts
  • LocationThe nordic hinterland of the Midwest

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:44 AM

Weapon grouping out of match, some elements of the store (particularly mech sales, but see comments below)

No way to tell what weapons/hardpoints/or equipment are on a mech in either the mech selection screen or the store area (seriously, this is a huge step backwards from current UI 1.5)

Social button is too small and insignificant looking;
I PMed a few friends, but it didn't seem like they got the message, I'm guessing because the notification wasn't visible enough for them to catch it

The amount you save from a sale should be listed on the sales portion (ie 30% off, etc) as this would encourage people to buy

It looked sharper and the game seemed to run more smoothly than normal server for me. Less traffic or optimization?

Here are my thoughts as I wrote them down in the client, organized by which sector of the UI I was examining:

[color=#000000]STORE[/color]
[color=#000000]-make mech buying page more obviously sortable (by weight class, model, etc)[/color]
[color=#000000]-include option to add mech bay into dialog after hitting button for buying mech (if all bays are full) instead of making user cancel and go to separate tab to buy there and return to mech section[/color]
[color=#000000]-show hard points, standard equipment (engine, weapons, ammo, upgrades, etc) in buying screen--just the name of the variant is actually a step back from UI 1.5[/color]
[color=#000000]-make default purchase option for mechs CBills (too easy to buy with real money when you intended to use cbills, likely to lead to many customer service requests which will make PGI’s job harder than it needs to be)[/color]
[color=#000000]-I liked the indication of sales on mechs in the Home area of the store, especially the timer telling how much longer they will be on sale. [SUGGESTION-put the % off somewhere in that little icon, as this will encourage people to buy now/save more][/color]

[color=#000000]MECHLAB[/color]
[color=#000000]-mech and mech bay buying interface is better here, I especially like the option to buy current trial mechs with one button in that tab[/color]
[color=#000000]-mech selection screen: new info on pitch/turn angles, accel/decel, upgrades is very nice to have…. [/color]
[color=#000000]BUT you dropped a hugely important element: WHERE THE HELL ARE THE HARDPOINTS AND EQUIPPED WEAPONS LISTED? This is incredibly important info to have on the mechlab, and the lack of this information makes this layout TOTALLY inferior to UI 1.5. Huge mistake, will lead to lots of DCs from people who drop in the wrong mech and have no weapons or a half built loadout that they don’t want[/color]
[color=#000000]-Weapon grouping in mech lab is a great addition, that interface works well.[/color]
[color=#000000]-showing speed as the actual speed you go in game (ie dependent on whether or not you have speed tweak) is a big improvement[/color]

[color=#000000]Mech Loadout interface[/color]
[color=#000000]-it would be really nice to have a button which you could pull a piece of equipment off of another mech (under buy--”pull 300xl off JN7-F” for instance)[/color]
[color=#000000]-Total tonnage and current tonnage should be much larger, so that you know how much weight you have left. A counter for total number of crit slots left would also be really nice.[/color]
[color=#000000]-Wasn’t there supposed to be an option to rename individual battlemechs? If it’s in there, I wasn’t able to find it and it should be more clearly marked.[/color]

[color=#000000]GENERAL LAYOUT[/color]
[color=#000000]-social button should be much bigger[/color]
[color=#000000]-Social button frequently had to be clicked two or more times to open[/color]

#85 elde

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 77 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:47 AM

The UI has very much potential. Weapon group setting looks cleaner than in the last public test.

It still doesn't scale with resolution, though it was mentioned already in the first public test. 2560x1440 resolution has small boxes with even smaller text all around the screen, but it's all surrounded by sections of vast nothingness.
Mechlab STILL DOESNT have a full mech paperdoll. Mech setups are horrible with the current version.

It looks like a remake of the UI1.5 in UI2.0 colors. Finding the social system is hard, the icon is the size of pinkie fingernail, hidden in the bottom row. Clicking on it brings a small static window to the right side of the screen, which has small text. I tried to send messages to the 6 people online on my friend list (not deployed), but they didn't recognize incoming messages - probably didn't see them.

You can only have one chat window open, which, again, is static and unmoveable. You can't resize it either, and opening a chat with another friend closes the earlier window. Still, the window is small and less than 1/10 of my screen. If you could have it open while working in the mechlab it'd be fine, but when you either chat in that horribly small window, or work on your mechs, it's just stupid.

Seemed fine. Bought a Grid Iron, the action went through nicely. Again, the same UI problems hinder this (See 1 and 5)

I like the color scheme. I like the new modern look.

I like the full screen window, and ability to change resolution how I see fit.

It was weird to have three different fonts in the cockpit view. One for weapons, one for chat and one for spectating/incoming missiles/etc. information.

I hate the mouse-over sound effect, it gets old and irritating very soon.

No keyboard shortcuts for pop up messages, like spending experience on mech tree. I must click "Unlock", then I get a "Configmation Required" pop up with Yes or No buttons (keyboard doesn't work here), and when I confirm, I get one more pop up "Notification". Too much clutter!

In pilot tree, I get scrollbars. The window again takes 1/6 of my screen, so there's more room for items there. Make the window larger.

No scaling for bigger resolutions, the text is the same size throughout all resolutions from 1024x768 to 2560x1440. It's hard to read text that is two millimeters high.

No scaling of the mech statistics (speed, armor, firepower etc.), which are really small in the bottom of the screen.

In mechlab, it's extremely irritating to click through the menus. You have too many submenus of submenus: Configure-Loadout-Center Torso-Equiment/Engines/Ammo. Same thing with slots that have multiple different weapon hardpoints - I don't want to select Ballistic/Energy/Equipment/Ammo, much better option would be to use checkboxes to select which items you want to see, then hide the rest from the list.

STILL NO FULL MECH PAPERDOLL! We don't want to equip our mechs one torso portion or limb at a time. There's plenty of room on the screen, stop this clickfest.

Small text on the items. In mechlab, the name of the item is written in the smallest text there is. I have a window with 10 columns of engines horizontally and 7 rows of them, and I'm trying to find the right size of an engine in the list. It's hard.

No information about the engines, how the speed affects my mech, before I actually buy the engine. Not even pop ups.

Camo spec setting is horrible. You need to scroll through sets of colors, but can't see the full list of them like in UI1.5. When you finally get to the "Owned" section, you only see one color at a time. What's wrong with a grid of owned colors where you can pick out the ones you want?

In a nutshell: I like having much information on my screen. I hate having to squint to see it, while there's plenty of real estate left unused.

It doesn't seem that anything has really happened in the UI project since the first public test. There were pages of feedback on it, was it all for nothing? Is this feedback all for nothing?

Actually, I'm pretty disappointed. I was expecting some major changes into the first public test of UI2.0, and it looks like none of our concerns are addressed. This thing goes live in 3 weeks, and we will all miss the functionality of UI1.5. A step backwards to be frank.

This is what the game looks like when it's not being scaled to resolution:
Posted Image

Edited by elde, 17 January 2014 - 10:35 AM.

#86 Green Toy

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:48 AM

1) What is it that you like about the UI 2.0 Preview?Like the way you can see your mechs by class in the mechlab. Review of inventory much better. Wish I could buy items from the inventory screen.
2) What do you like least about the UI 2.0 Preview? Invites to group do not appear if you are not in the social screen. Non-intuitive PM (you have to click Send Message to pick up a msg sent from someone else). I can't drag and drop reposition my mechs in the mechlab.
3) What are your impressions of the Social system in the Front-End? Clunky, not very intuitive. Too many steps requried to do most things.
4) What are your impressions of the Store menus in the Front-End? Cluttered by the graphics. Some people might like all the space taken up by the pics of engines/weps/etc but I would rather see an uncluttered list of items to buy/sell.
5) What are your impressions of the in-game interface? Aboiut the same as current game. Cockpit glass is nice touch but find myself wishing the effort to make this cosmetic change had gone into something else (CW, UI2.0, bug fixes)
6) Any other comments or concerns? Really, not bad for beta. Still a bit buggy. DCs not counted dead at the end of the match. You have to hunt them down and kill them to end match. Chat stopped working at times.

#87 627

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:49 AM

1)
- Overall artistic design (colors, lighting, forms)
- large view on selected Mech

2)
- Mechlab (see below for details)
- tiny fonts (too small with high resolution, headlines not really highlighted)
- overall very confusing layout - main buttons should be more highlighted (another color maybe), different font sizes for different menu levels, maybe kind of breadcrumbs; more hierarchy would be good

3)
- unknown icons with no explanation/mouse over (not working yet?)
- very small button, easily overlooked
- closing team chat only with one little X on the other side of the screen in friendlist, had to look a while how to get out
- overall looks similar to what we have now

4)
- No way to buy multiple mechbays at once
- no indication how many (free) mechbays I have in mech store
- Message "updating store data, prices have changed" is confusing, what changed? why?
- no preview for the mech, you have to buy it blind? If you buy in mechlab, you get at least a short description. No way to see hardpoints, layout, equipment or anything beside the name. What am I buying?
- No way to sort in the mech store like you can in mechlab

5)
- New ingame-font? looks smoother
- pregame chat wasn't working for me (but for others)
- glass needs to be cleaned ;)

6)
Ok, I'll try to make it as short as I can but I have to coment a bit on the mechlab.
It is still very confusing and time-consuming to configure a mech. I bought a viktor, made my build and applied camo, I nearly needed half an hour for it.

Mostly because there's no overview for nothing.
I can't see (or couldn't find) my armor distribution for all parts at once.
I can't see (or couldn't find) a hardpoint overview
I can't see (or couldn't find) a summary of my weapons, modules, engine, Heatsinks, Equipment
Every word is so tiny but the icons are so large - I play on a 40" LCD with FullHD res, it was very hard to read anything
The summery at the bottom right is too small and to tight packed with infos
I couldn't click on the parts of my mech to get to that component. I can understand that you obviously don't want to copy smurfy but it is really hard to get a complete look for the mech, a summary for a quick loadout change or something in those lines. Even with the old UI you could navigate from component to component very fast and very intuitive.

Finally here are some notes I made during the test:

- I can't undo/cancel my changes to a loadout, I have to go all the way back and select another mech. Some kind of reset button would be nice

- Trial mechs show up in owned mechs filter - this seems to be by purpose but it's confusing
- Nearly no mouseover text for Icons, no explanations. Is that a missile hardpoint? You can only guess what those icons are if you know the weapons, nothing for new players to understand
- Is there no one-time camo anymore? every camo costs at least 750mc - with no explanation on which mechs I can use it
- I can't mark/check multiple game modes (bug?) before launch
- I have to select gamemodes before every launch? everytime?
- Inventory is nice, very nice. are those only "spare" parts? some grouping would be good and filtering if spare or used
- No shortcut to configure the selected mech - you have to find it in that big list of mechs, very time-consuming
- no preferred mechs anymore? (like those 4 "ready" mechs)
- still no cancel for "searching..." when you launch
- if you want to drop from a match, the quit match button isn't in the middle anymore (I know, very minor one, but still)
- Skill menu: a shortcut to the skills of the selected mech would be nice
- skill menu: can you filter for owned mechs only?
- There is no exit/quit button, you have to logout first
- Is there a way to have the mechlab in window and the game in fullscreen like now?
- space to skip intros no longer works but buttonsmashing enter/del/esc did?

#88 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:49 AM

Presentation is much better than the current ui.visually much more appealing. with high graphics set it feels & looks better and more stable than ui 1.5

1. I create a group. only option to return to mechlab is to hit X. unclear if this kills group or just the window at first. moving & resizing this group view & chat would be ideal - and being able to keep it open (over the visual of your mech) and chat while configuring mech would be nice.

this lower bar where the group icon is located also would seemingly be ideal for an "email" or community chat" type buttons.

2. the ui is too "in your face" with too much presented. ie i like windows 7 "detail" view. i hate scrolling sideways and up/down visually. I vastly prefer the current ui where each item is listed under the next one and we only scroll up/down. it is a nice sorted order and stuff is much easier to find.

3. the font at 1920x1200 is way to small. an option to enlarge the font? it also seems to small because of fullscreen somehow. will we have an option to run windowed? i greatly prfer that to full screen pre-launch as it is now with the game, i can surf web etc as well.

4. smurphy mechlab is still missing. *Stamps foot*

5. please put an icon similar to the hero and champion circles on the mechs icons that gets put on any mech we own, O for "owned" perhaps? i see this as a big issue right now, clarity of what we already own vs what we need to buy seems more confusing because mechs we own arent sorted below as currently, maybe just an adaptation thing though.

6. being able to chat & socialize while building mechs and waiting for matches would imho be huge to strengthen the community.

7. add a "mentor" button somewhere for a chat channel newbs can join to meet mentors/groups, etc.

8. Overall I like the new visuals, but feel the ui is in some ways more frustrating & confusing than the old one, again somewhat a getting used to thing. being able to move windows, show list/detail vew vs icon/thumbnail view, or in example widen/slide the display box left so items auto sort in only 2 columns vs the 5-6 currently and we have more viewing space/room.

9. mech speed, armour, etc all too small in current ui at fullscreen. hurts my eyes.

10. "checkout" / save loadout. checkout sounds confusing to me.

11. the inventory screen is MUCH better. mechlab should be optional layout like this too. having the mech in the center like on load-in and then putting smurphys mechlab on the sides of the relevant body parts would seem to me to be the ideal setup, then have the inventory type listing for pulling / buying engines etc instead. i greatly prefer the centered mech to the mech on the right side.

12. CAMO - i have to click like 20 times to move up/down the list of camo colours. i cant just go straight to "owned" by selecting from a list. meh...its a pain. its also harder you cant just click on a colour to paint the mech that colour. can you not put the full pallette to the right side of the mech?

13. my main gripe is mechlab. before this i built mechs in ui 1.5 after this hits, ill prob build in smurphys then build here. changing armour values, etc is all much more convoluted.

14. centered mech, inventory list screen and improvements to camo like selecting any colour etc. the new camo system seems much worse in comprehension. it feels to me like a great way to trick people into spending too much MC because navigating the camo system is so convoluted.

15. so, i make all my changes. i hit "back" it asks me " you want to buy these items and save, "ok, or cancel"

if i hit "cancel", it cancels everything and i have to redo everything. but what if i just made a mistake? now, i have to either comit to spending the MC/cbills, or cancel and redo everything? need option to cancel to just take us back to the configure screen without dumping us back to main menu/losing all our changes, what if i just forgot to remove the MC item i was just previewing, then rebuilt my entire mech etc, forgot, etc? not cool.

16. activate 2532 days of premium time. any option to activate premium time in 30 day blocks would be nice.

17. finding modules is going to be a nightmare. unless i actually go into mechlab i cant find modules. at least currently i only have to click on 68 mechs until i find the lost module. we need an option to "Strip & recover" all modules, OR at the very least show us the modules on a mech when we click on that mechs icon and pull it up.

18. the entire hardpoint system is gone. IE hover over ballistic and it shows WHERE on the mech the ballistic nodes are. this was a huge gain in ui 1.5, seems totally absent in this UI when you buy a mech you dont see how many hardpoints, what hardpoints it has, nothing. am i missing something here? should ast least be shown on the on hover that shows pitch/yaw, etc etc. can this data not be plugged in form ui 1.5? seems to be hardly any information on the mech you are buying for weapon hardpoints, weapons it comes with, etc etc.

19. I love the centered mech on homescreen and the inventory screen. i really hope that layout can be adopted to provide a more concise interaction than the current mechlab/modules/upgrades/camo which I find much worse to navigate than the current ui. why cant we rotate the centered mech on the home screen? it looks best this way.

20. option to "Release all modules" and "Release all engines" would be handy.

21. i was able to switch resolutions & window to fullscreen and back from mechlab - ingame using options menu with no stability loss. stability in general seems greatly improved.

#89 Bifrost Guard

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:50 AM

1. What I like most:
  • I like the way my mechs are shown in a grid format along with the ability to filter by weight class.
  • The ability to spin the selected mech in the mechlab is nice.
  • The ability to select between weapon, ammo, and equipment is good, especially in the CT (having to scroll through all the engines can be a pain in the current format).
  • I like the inventory screen with the ability to show everything that I currently own (although I think it belongs in the mechlab instead of the home tab)
  • I really like the ability to assign weapon groups in the mechlab along with the weapon information that displays when each weapon is selected.

2. What I like least:
  • While there is a lot of new information relating to the chasis mechanics of the selected mech in the mechlab, the font is really small and information regarding hardpoints, heat sinks, modules, and free crit slots is noticeably missing.
  • In the store, there is no preview of a mech when purchasing which means you have to know exactly what model you want going in (no window shopping). This will be especially hard on new players.

3. My impressions of the social system:
  • The button is a little small and can be easily overlooked. Perhaps if there was more of a color contrast it would stand out more?
  • creating a group seems easier and a little more intuitive.

4. My impressions of the store menus:
  • displaying what mechs are currently on sale on the store home menu is a nice touch.
  • The rest of the menus seem pretty self explanatory.

5. My impressions of the in game interface:
  • Didn't really notice that much of a difference.

6. Comments or concerns:
  • Overall the presentation is much improved over the current version, but there is definitely some room for improvement. Please keep up the good work.

#90 GazzaNZ

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 7 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:51 AM

Forgive the bad typing its too early here to make any real nice message ;)

1) I like the ability to move around the Ui from one section to another. Filtering the Mech list by types and such is WAY better than before.

2) Mechlab needs some more work -

First up i would suggest having the upgrades section actually as part of the loadout section as a simple tab you click on thus you are only working on one page when you are configuring a mech.

Second a filter system to remove INVALID components would make the information level a little.

Third can you make the grey blocks that represent the components a bit more unique to see ie Button like indents around the edges - the current one looks cheap and silly and colour code them - red for energy weapons orange for ballistic and so on.

fourth and most important - THE INFORMATION PANEL should appear consistently when you click on a component. I found that it would appear when i mouse over it in some times, not appear at all when i was trying to fit items and impossible to find when selecting upgrades.

3) social system front end is a nice interface to itself but its not INTEGRATED into the client. I should not have to stop everything i am doing to examine the social section and then go back to what i was doing.

4) Store - Ok love the new list system however it needs filters so i can quickly find the assault mechs. Also you should probably get a preview of the mech you have clicked on on the right so you can look before you buy.

5) Like the new font

6) Overall a good step forward for usability but step backward in delivering information that is required quickly such as how many slots remain on my mech / weapon so on and so on.

#91 Faernix

Rookie

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 8 posts
  • LocationUK, Manchester

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:52 AM

Improved display of visual detail on Mechs
Displaying Extra Info for Mech such as weapons arcs and torso twist, speed.

Disproportionate space allocated to inventory (weapons, ammo, equipment, modules) compared to useful mech specific information.
ie. Icon is massive and not really informative, and the more informationally useful text is tiny in comparison.
Hard to see what inventory items (weapons, ammo, equipment, modules) you own.
Need more information on each mech.
Need to see full loadout for a mech in a single place, including crit spaces.
Interface to select different parts of mech is overcomplicated, better to create a single paper doll H, RA, RT, CT, LT, LA, RL, LL, and a separate Front / Back button
Filter Energy / Ballistic / Missile / Ammo / Equipment should be a separate control that persists

Not investigated.

Colour picker on camo scheme is horrible and aimed at consoles / controller.
Picker on Camo Schemes same issue.
Why not show all of them and let you select? Seems to be plenty of space.

Badly designed priority of information, like the UI designer doesn't play or configure their Mechs.
Information presentation is wrong way around, priority seems to have been given to graphics and information has been sidelined.
Mech loadout relevant information shown piecemeal, when there seems to be no need and plenty of space.
Like the improved fonts.
Excessive mouseover noise on clickable items.
Excessive click through screens to get to most often used information.

Would like some keyboard interaction, back or back button to go back through screens.
Information on Mechs has been fragmented.

Edited by Faernix, 17 January 2014 - 02:10 PM.

#92 Madd Dawg

• PipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 45 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:54 AM

Great job so far a lot smoother then before.
Graphic seem better or sharper not sure why.
Not sure if i like the glass. Seems distracting.
The details of the 3D models is awesome.

Few thing I like to see added
1) on the inventory please add a M for mech that have the modules equiped so i can find them easy.
2) a Buttom to strip the mech of all weapons and ammo.
3) add display for ammo type and amount so I can see what the mech is carring. This will help if you leave different amount type on a mech after changing weapon types.
4) If a pull off a type of weapon or ammo the UI should switch to that type. Example, I changed from ultra A/C 5 to reg A/C 5 and then click on the legs. If a drag the old ammo and drop it on the inventory have the inventory swtich to ammo so I can add the new ammo. Saves clicking.
5) a summary screen of what the mech is equipped with.

Edited by Madd Dawg, 16 January 2014 - 11:58 AM.

#93 I am the Table

• PipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 68 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:55 AM

• The Mechs are beautiful, and look a lot more polished than the previous test, I don't have to scroll through a ton of mechs to get to the one I'm looking for.
  • Still no easy to see hardpoints, as well as an overall layout of your mech design. Things can still get a little confusing, but that is also because I am not used to it.
  • Having maybe 20% of my friends out of my total number show up (non online) So...not good?
  • Like the new store, and the ability to change the sales on the fly. Easy to find/navigate.
  • New text looks cool, and the cockpit glass is an awesome touch. But it didn't show up every match (1/3) *EDIT* It actually was there each time, I just hadn't noticed the dependency of where the light source was coming from for its "full" effect.
  • Definitely need to do something with an overall layout for your mech with all the slots and hardpoints and the like. And I still couldnt re-name my mechs ;) (phoenix mechs need there individuality damnit!)
  • After the second playtest (and unhealthy enjoyment from all the hero mech glory) the overall layout and presentation is easier to understand, and overall seems less confusing from the first run.
  • The camo colors were confusing me the first time through, but if you just click on the down arrow underneath the block, thats where my unlocked colors are! And you can hold the side arrows down to scroll through the colors. First run I clicked and clicked and clicked....
  • Keep up the good work!

Edited by I am the Table, 16 January 2014 - 06:20 PM.

#94 Lefteye Falconeer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 352 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario.

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:55 AM

Just to clarify, before you read: I am a Legendary Founder, an Overlord purchaser and I've already preordered the largest Clan package. So I am definitely a MechWarrior supporter. So my comments don't come from a PGi hating attitude. I love this game and I want it to improve, but I am not gonna pretend everything is fine when it clearly is not.

1) WHAT IS THAT YOU LIKE ABOUT UI 2.0?
I like that it is full screen, I like that you can finally see your 'mechs in all their glory. And... that's pretty much it ;)

2) WHAT DO YOU LIKE THE LEAST ABOUT UI 2.0?
I don't like that you can't change the lighting in the mech lab so even though you can see your 'mechs in all their glory, you can't really do much when it comes to taking pictures. I thought we were finally going to have a little bit of a "showroom" where we could take nice shots. The way it is now, it is very limited. Not to mention that we can't move the 'mech in or out, we can't twist it up or down. Only rotate it on one axis. It is quite limited and doesn't make sense. I don't like that there's still a horrible lack of "size". Nothing to compare our 'mechs to. I hoped that the new mechlab was going to look like a real 'mechlab, with machinery and engineers that could help us get an idea of how big our 'mechs are. But no, it's just a figurine that you can rotate on itself. Meh. I also dislike the social tools. I thought we were finally going to get a GENERAL chat that as much as it would have been messy and noisy, it would have made the whole experience more alive and helped to form friendships, alliances, and all. This is a wasted chance, as I feel like nothing really changed with the new UI. All this waiting for nothing. Another thing I greatly dislike is the new loadout screen for our 'mechs. It is MUCH harder to get used to change the loadout this new way, it is hard to figure out what is on your 'mech already and it is hard to even get a big picture of what kind of 'mech you created and what's in it. In general, the mechlab is a HUGE turnoff, to the point that I am missing the old one. Another dropped ball.

3) WHAT ARE YOUR IMPRESSIONS OF THE SOCIAL SYSTEM IN THE FRONT END?
The social system looks incredibly poor. I honestly can't even see a difference from the old one. Unless I am missing something major, I honestly can't see what's new. I feel like PGI is trolling us on this.

4) WHAT ARE YOUR IMPRESSIONS OF THE STORE MENUS IN THE FRONT END?
Store menus? They don't look neat, they look "beta", unfinished, unpolished, uncool. I am sure they serve their function but there's not much to think about it other than "meh".

5) WHAT ARE YOUR IMPRESSIONS OF THE IN-GAME INTERFACE?
In game interface? Not sure I understand the question. It's exactly the same we've been using for two years, isn't it? Except for "cockpit glass" and the new font on weapon groups. Is there anything to think? I like cockpit glass, and the new font is OK.

6) ANY OTHER COMMENTS OR CONCERNS?
As I said, this feels like an incredibly wasted chance. We've been waiting for more than a year and this is all we got? Sure, "this unlocks everything". OK then, we'll see. The UI 2.0 per se does NOT offer any new functionality per se as of now, except for the chance to rotate our 'mechs. That's appreciated but not enough. In fact, the new UI offers LESS info than before. Working on your 'mechs is harder than ever, and except for the visual restyling there is nothing new. I was expecting for the UI 2.0 to unlock lore for example, but no not even that. So my concern is that this UI is literally "too little too late". It just looks more "professional" if you haven't played the game before and this is your first login, but doesn't improve my gaming experience one bit, in fact it makes it worse (even selecting colours in the camo screen is harder than before), so surprisingly this UI does one step ahead, and three steps backward. Almost ubelievable. But as of now my vote is: "Another ball dropped by PGI".

#95 Skyros

• Pip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 13 posts
  • LocationEdmonton Alberta

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:57 AM

1) What is it that you like about the UI 2.0 Preview?
-Full screen is nice
-modules tab in mech bay is nice
-Weapons groups in mech bay is nice addition
-better skills menu with better explanation of bonus's

2)What do you like least about the UI 2.0 Preview?
-mechbay very convoluted
-No hard point or weapon information when buying a mech that I can find
-No over all hard point, weapons and heat sinks on mech info on the front end of mech bay have to dig for it
-Statistics on site not in game breaks flow of experience
-Like the artistic side of the new camo select but does slow and make finding color take longer.
- Was hoping for a screen that like World of tanks can tell in the main screen can see how much money and experience I made in the last battle an how much repair cost me and so on I feel there is very little sense of accomplishment after a battle needs better stat tracking or at least better stat availability.
-no critical space info made using upgrades ie. endo-steel very confusing

3) What are your impressions of the social system in the front-end?
-not used

4)What are your impressions of the store menus in the front-end?
-If I go to buy a mech through the mechbay I can see stats and mech preview but if I buy it though store I don't have either of these.
-No weapon or hardpoint info when buying mech.

Thank you for your continued work on this keep at it.

Edited by Skyros, 16 January 2014 - 12:09 PM.

#96 Sirgrant

• PipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 45 posts
  • LocationSan DIego Area (Vista, CA)

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:58 AM

First off, I was unable to participate in the prior public tests. This is the first I've seen first hand of the new UI other than what I've read about in the forums.

* It looks like we may be able to sort our mechs better, but this could still use work.
* I liked that you could spin the mech.

* No paper-doll feature to see where items are located (I usually swap engines quite a bit, it took forever to find my engines, same with modules)
* Due to it's being new, I had a hard time finding information I'm used to seeing
* Fonts seemed very small and hard to read
* Data was at odd places, very far corners, lots of screen real-estate to cross
* In the cockpit configuration and camo selection screens, it took a long time to find the checkout section and I swear, it took a couple of times for my selection to stick.
* In the store when selecting a mech to choose, there was no data displayed.

* Interesting colors
* None of my friends were on, but I did start a 4 man group
* Weird use of screen real-estate, tiny windows...

* Again, when selecting a mech, no info at all. Unless you knew in advance what you were purchasing, you are just guessing.
* I liked the H and C for hero and champion mechs (again, don't know loadout?)

* I didn't notice any difference in the actual in-game interface
* I did like the colors and layout of the settings menus.

[color=#222222]6) Any other comments or concerns? [/color]
* Other than the issues above (can't find engines, modules, weird use of screen real-estate, I am not sure that I will like this better than what we have now.
* I think this will have a steep learning curve and is not very accessible to new people coming in. I personally think that the UI 1.5 interface is much more logical in it's mechbay due to the paper doll setup. If you incorporate the paper doll setup, it would make me much more happy.

Hopefully, these comments will be considered to be constructive and not necessarily negative. Lets keep moving forward!

#97 Garagano

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 862 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:58 AM

-Window FX
The angle dependant windows effects are VERY unrealistic. Even in the shadow on Torumaline Desert the window FX are so much that it is just a handicap to the player. I guess this is just another level of annoyance provided to the player, just like the movie grain is. We dont need this! It makes playing worse!

Spoiler

- I want to see the load-out of the mech i have selected in the mechlab view before i start a match. A short overview of all mounted weapons. (how many Medium Lasers? BAP? etc. )

- Please provide separated settings for the Mechlab/Frontend and the ingame/match resolution. I am going to still use the mechlab as 720p windowed, and play the matches in 1080p.
2 Options:
"Mechlab resolution:"
"Match resolution:" ->(default is mechlab resolution, it automatically changes to the mechlab res when the user changes this.)

- The mechs should not all just shuffle into 1 line that never breaks on end. It is very confusing to watch onto this one big square of mech icons! It is hard to differentiate what these mechs are. (Type/Variant).

Please add an option so that EVERY mech type is been displayed in ONE line! instead of all mechs 1 after 1.
LINE BREAK ON MECH TYPE !!!!! PLEASE! for clearness
Because like now, all the mech tiles in the mechlab are now just one big cluster****.

- keyboard settings:
add a column for a toggle switch option for specific functions (like for TAG or Q-info)

BUGs:

1. Launcher
The user can not skip the bumpers with the SPACE key anymore! The User have to use the enter key now what provokes an password input on the last bumper and also result into a "wrong password" error!

Game breaking bug:
- go to mechlab
- choose a mech that has no engine and start match -> error massage: warning
- then choose another Mech that can launch. -> no launch possible! you can not hit the launch button

- workaround: choose a valid mech. go to home screen. now you can launch again.

3. Mechlab:
Trial mechs showing up in the OWNED filter. The trial mechs should NOT show in the class categorys as owned/buyed mechs! (light, med, etc.) They are Trial mechs and NOT BOUGHT mechs.

#98 Ignatz22

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 172 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 12:00 PM

Need to see the loadouts at a glance to choose a mech in a team. I could choose by NAME but the old mechlab had the loadouts on the right side, couldn't find anything comparable on this one. Liked the graphics and interface, just need it to offer more at-a-glance loadouts for owned mechs.

Didn't see many friends, couldn't add ones online, couldn't form a group.

#99 StonedDead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  • LocationOn a rock, orbiting a giant nuclear reactor

Posted 16 January 2014 - 12:01 PM

Visually nice, very difficult to use and uninformative. Cursor sound is annoying.

#100 Staplebeater

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 12:03 PM

worked pretty well. clean look. Ability to see all the mechs that i own

When selecting the mech i was unable to see the loadout. Currently you see a count on number of HS, weapons and engine. This in combination with no complete view of mech loadout makes it hard to determine the loadout of a mech

I was not able to get the social system to work. I had no friends showing online and when trying to invite them to my friends list it would not work (they could not invite me either)

Seemed good to go

43 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 43 guests, 0 anonymous users