As Requested By Russ Bullock: Pilot And Cockpit Effects

123 replies to this topic

Poll: What kind of Cockpit and pilot effects would you want to see implemented (327 member(s) have cast votes)

Steam in cockpit on high heat

1. Voted Bring it on! (235 votes [72.09%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 72.09%

2. I dont like view obscuring realism (91 votes [27.91%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.91%

sparks and broken pipes when taking torso internal damage

1. Voted Bring it on! (264 votes [80.98%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 80.98%

2. I dont like view obscuring realism (62 votes [19.02%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 19.02%

Damage and breaking of cockpit glass on head internal damage (this happens very rarely!)

1. Voted Bring it on! (281 votes [86.20%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 86.20%

2. I dont like view obscuring realism (45 votes [13.80%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.80%

Pilot flipping swithes for mech functions (like during startup sequence)

1. Voted Yes please! (278 votes [85.28%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 85.28%

2. No I dont like all the buttons. (48 votes [14.72%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.72%

Audio queue to call in strikes on targeted coordinates

1. Voted I want it, I want it now! (279 votes [85.58%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 85.58%

2. I'm afrade its voice won't match my own. (47 votes [14.42%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.42%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#81 Darth Futuza

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 02:13 PM

Is it fair to make these optional? (can turn the effects on/off to save fps if your pc sux)

#82 PleasureBot9000

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 04:43 PM

Stop disturbing the players sight...
Why don't you just freaking programm some CONTENT into the game instead of making more and more idiotic cosmetic changes?
This is this damn false logic again, where they withhold half of your opportunities...
Example:
- I have a 1000$ bill and a 1$ bill to give away.
- "Do you want a dollar?"
- "Yes!"
- Now i know that he doesnt want 1000$...
THAT IS NOT HOW FREAKING LOGIC WORKS!
Just because 100 of your 1 fantastillion players vote on "yes, i want that garbage!" doesn't mean that the other players don't rather want real content like maps, mechs, balancing, weapons, a menu (i don't say 'better' because what we have now is NOT a menu).
How about you guys ask us if we want a new gamemode, or a new texture?
I can already tell you how many people want that texture, when they have an alternative.
All you ask here is "do you want something, or do you want nothing?"

#83 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,586 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 22 January 2014 - 04:47 PM

View PostPleasureBot9000, on 22 January 2014 - 04:43 PM, said:

Why don't you just freaking programm some CONTENT into the game instead of making more and more idiotic cosmetic changes?

The teams that program cosmetic (art team) chances, and does the coding for the game, and those who design maps or make mechs, are different teams. You wouldn't have a musician try to paint up a master piece and the painter play at some theater, would you?

Let the art team do their thing, while the game coders/designers do their things. Simple as that.

#84 PleasureBot9000

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:17 AM

View PostTesunie, on 22 January 2014 - 04:47 PM, said:

Let the art team do their thing, while the game coders/designers do their things. Simple as that.

Ok, sorry for my bad suggestion, how about... fix the snow map texture glitch thing, fix the buggy terrain, fix the bad way night and fog work, fix the fullscreen mode / dual gpu for all graphic cards, fix the ugly mech lab, fix the ugly starting sequence (I KNOW i am playing mech warrior, thanks for letting a mech... jump all over the screen for 10 seconds EVERYTIME i want to log in...)

Is THAT graphic based enough so the graphic team can fix the broken {Scrap - S}, instead of making stuff that nobody wants?
(Yes, the 100 people that voted 'i like the glass effect' is NOTHING against the 500 people that i saw ingame yesterday that were flaming about the glass, and that i will probably see again today...)

Edit: censorship lol

Edited by PleasureBot9000, 23 January 2014 - 12:20 AM.

#85 Therrinian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 197 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:16 AM

View PostPleasureBot9000, on 23 January 2014 - 12:17 AM, said:

Ok, sorry for my bad suggestion, how about... fix the snow map texture glitch thing, fix the buggy terrain, fix the bad way night and fog work, fix the fullscreen mode / dual gpu for all graphic cards, fix the ugly mech lab, fix the ugly starting sequence (I KNOW i am playing mech warrior, thanks for letting a mech... jump all over the screen for 10 seconds EVERYTIME i want to log in...)

Is THAT graphic based enough so the graphic team can fix the broken {Scrap - S}, instead of making stuff that nobody wants?
(Yes, the 100 people that voted 'i like the glass effect' is NOTHING against the 500 people that i saw ingame yesterday that were flaming about the glass, and that i will probably see again today...)

Im sorry you are completely missing the point, this is an art post, the programing behind it is minimal at best.
Your outcry for other features does not calculate into weather we think these effects would be cool.

the post is about do you think this should *Eventually* make it into the game or not.

It does in no way reflect any of the programing issues you mentioned and what has priority.
We all want to see those other improvements as well, but down the line we would like these to be added to the queue.

#86 Therrinian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 197 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:50 PM

the effects discussed could be scaled with the effects and particle settings
but can NOT be turned off

it would give an unfair advantage if the change is not done for everyone across the board.

if would be like giving players the option to play without cockpit shake....

Edited by Therrinian, 23 January 2014 - 01:51 PM.

#87 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,586 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 23 January 2014 - 05:56 PM

View PostPleasureBot9000, on 23 January 2014 - 12:17 AM, said:

As someone else stated, you missed the point.

Most of these issues are no longer art issues (as they make the graphics and maybe, just maybe, very minimal code to get said graphics into the game) but actually fall under a different department, call it the "Bug squishers" department. These are bugs, and the art team still doesn't have the skills to hunt through the coding to find what the problem is to even fix, if they even do any of the coding to get their art into the game.

Also, as far as the glass subject, the issue with that is that many people like it, but think it's "too opaque" and could use to be turned down some. Others, are like me, and it keeps turning off and on randomly and is not very opaque when it is visible (for whatever reason).

Also, though some of the problems you mention are sorta common, others are not. I too get the minor problem of occasional missing textures in Frozen City, but it isn't enough to hinder my game play. Buggy terrain, as in... invisible blocking terrain? That gets annoying, but not the art department still. Bug Squishers section again. Night? Fog? That's what the other vision modes are for, which did get fixed (unless you weren't here for blue warrior online, and the bad grayish (was it gray, hard to recall) night vision). I have not heard of a full screen bug, and I always run full screen. Maybe I am lucky? Still not art sections job. I also have not heard of the jumping start up... My Startup sequence seems to be unhindered personally and I have never heard of any problem here. However, once more, Bug squishing department, not Art. (And could some of these problems be on your end and not theirs? Just suggesting the possibility...)

No need to get upset with me, or PGI. Stuff happens. I've had very similar issues with many other online games, not just this one.

#88 Kyone Akashi

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 1,656 posts
  • LocationAlshain Military District

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:44 PM

MFW looking at that list:

Posted Image

Edited by Kyone Akashi, 24 January 2014 - 12:44 PM.

#89 Accursed Richards

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 412 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 04:20 PM

I like most of those. But I'd like to add a suggestion to that list: have the Auto Detect monitors actually Auto Detect something! :unsure:

Or at least come up with some different static images to put on different monitors; it looks very silly when the Jenner has three identical screens stacked atop each other, or when the Shadow Hawk has eight different monitors, none of which can pick up a Signal.

Edited by Accursed Richards, 24 January 2014 - 04:22 PM.

#90 Red5angel

• PipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 68 posts
  • LocationNorthglenn Colorado

Posted 24 January 2014 - 05:03 PM

I was thinking about the steam thing - I think with the mech producing steam when it heats up already there's no need for it in the cockpit. I'd be ok with heat haze though, that might be cool. Most of us are fans of battletech in one way or another, we understand that heat plays a big part in the tabletop game and the books and I'd be ok with it having more of an impact.

#91 Therrinian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 197 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 25 January 2014 - 07:24 AM

Haze or steam, either would be cool :P

#92 VikingN1nja

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 607 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 25 January 2014 - 07:28 AM

Always steam in my cockpit baby!

#93 Therrinian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 197 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 25 January 2014 - 12:57 PM

nice to see people are generally enthusiastic about such additions :)

#94 Deathsani

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 07:07 PM

More the things!

#95 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 07:32 PM

Unless the seal on our fusion reactors are dangerously ... dangerous (I'm sleepy, give me a break ;P), I don't see how there would be a bunch of steam in the cockpit, no matter how hot it got.

Some, sure, but... not enough to justify programming in a special effect for it.

Also, won't people just switch to low graphics settings (so all of this won't get rendered) for an advantage?

#96 Butane9000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,788 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:34 PM

I voted yes on ALL OF THE THINGS

#97 Sug

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,629 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:38 PM

View PostSephlock, on 25 January 2014 - 07:32 PM, said:

Unless the seal on our fusion reactors are dangerously ... dangerous (I'm sleepy, give me a break ;P), I don't see how there would be a bunch of steam in the cockpit, no matter how hot it got.

Well I steam up my car windows after I work out.

#98 Featherwood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:54 PM

All of above will do just perfectly. Go for it, Russ, if you need my blessing.

P.S.Therrinian, thank you for lovely poll, but I would add another important option for voting:
  • I'd like to see woman's bare hands, legs and breast in cooling vest instead of sexless jetsuit and pair of skying gloves - it would immensely add to, well, immersion. And I mean it!

#99 Therrinian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 197 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 26 January 2014 - 04:33 AM

Pilot customization might come along the line some where, it would be pretty cool.
also it would give it slightly more of a MMO feel which would be the intention i think.

even if for such personalizations you would have to pay I would do it XD

View PostSephlock, on 25 January 2014 - 07:32 PM, said:

Some, sure, but... not enough to justify programming in a special effect for it.

Also, won't people just switch to low graphics settings (so all of this won't get rendered) for an advantage?

The heat wouldnt leak coolant of the reactor into the cockpit, it is just the climate control that cant handle high heatspikes.

Also, some people already switch to low graphics (particles effects) to remove smoke
this is known and allowed.
this removes most of the smoke but not all keeping it fair.

Edited by Therrinian, 26 January 2014 - 04:34 AM.

#100 RedDragon

• 1,942 posts
  • LocationKurpfalz, Germany

Posted 26 January 2014 - 04:46 AM

As much as I like immersion and realistic effects, I won't vote in this poll because it seems a bit biased and the options are not what I'd personally like to get in the game.

There shouldn't be any steam in the cockpit. BT lore is quite clear on it, it's a murderous dry heat during combat. Give us pilot-effects instead, i.e. tunnel vision, blurring vision etc.

We don't need broken pipes in the cockpit, rather warning lamps and visual feedback on those monitors saying "no input" since forever now. The displays are there, use them to make life a hell when your mech gets shot to pieces.

Cracks in the cockpit glass is a good idea, one we wanted since closed beta.

Button switching is unnecessary IMO, I don't want my pilot to flip switches during combat when I am shooting at enemies, even if it's only a visual effect. Doesn't make sense except for the few times you can't control your mech directly, i.e. during shutdown or if/when collisions are back and you are lying on the ground.

17 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 17 guests, 0 anonymous users