As Requested By Russ Bullock: Pilot And Cockpit Effects

123 replies to this topic

Poll: What kind of Cockpit and pilot effects would you want to see implemented (327 member(s) have cast votes)

Steam in cockpit on high heat

1. Voted Bring it on! (235 votes [72.09%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 72.09%

2. I dont like view obscuring realism (91 votes [27.91%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.91%

sparks and broken pipes when taking torso internal damage

1. Voted Bring it on! (264 votes [80.98%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 80.98%

2. I dont like view obscuring realism (62 votes [19.02%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 19.02%

Damage and breaking of cockpit glass on head internal damage (this happens very rarely!)

1. Voted Bring it on! (281 votes [86.20%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 86.20%

2. I dont like view obscuring realism (45 votes [13.80%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.80%

Pilot flipping swithes for mech functions (like during startup sequence)

1. Voted Yes please! (278 votes [85.28%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 85.28%

2. No I dont like all the buttons. (48 votes [14.72%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.72%

Audio queue to call in strikes on targeted coordinates

1. Voted I want it, I want it now! (279 votes [85.58%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 85.58%

2. I'm afrade its voice won't match my own. (47 votes [14.42%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.42%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 generalazure

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:30 PM

There is no reason whatsoever why he should be forced to spend money for some purely cosmetic gfx he might not even want. The whole performance discussion only comes up because this game is severely lacking in letting us tweak gfx settings (another thing that has higher priority than cockpit effects in my book) >_>

#62 Mark Brandhauber

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 291 posts
  • LocationYorkshire United Kingdom

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:31 PM

I would like to add that this work should not take prevalence over anything currently in development.

#63 Therrinian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 197 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:34 PM

View Postgeneralazure, on 20 January 2014 - 11:12 AM, said:

Sure, there probably are power fluctuations when a subsystem is damaged, but it always alienates me when this causes consoles to throw sparks or blow up in a scifi setting. Feels more like early 20th century tech to me (serious lack of overload protection), but I guess this is up to personal preference.

My reason for not liking the steam thingie is pretty similar actually, for me this feels like some ww2 flick where a ship gets damaged and the boiler room fills up with steam. I'd prefer my hightech killing machine to vent the stuff to the outside if pipe pressure gets too high (note that this would give an additional clue to other players whether my mech is in a heat shutdown).
Well, actually I'd prefer not having to use plain old water as coolant at all, but that's beside the point I guess :rolleyes:

I'm basing it on the battletech fluff in the novels, it was pretty commonplace, and the cockpit was a VERY hot and uncomfortable enviroment.

#64 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,586 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:39 PM

View PostImperius, on 20 January 2014 - 12:20 PM, said:

$150 gets you a decent graphics card that would easily run this game with said effects.

Sorry you fell for that standard American college loan bs that claims it will brighten your future. When in truth it darkens it.

Food - try to buy in bulk.
Electricity - get LED bulbs saves a ton
Car Insurance - (check to see if you're eligible to get lower insurance) you do this by checking if they offer a discount to those who don't drive far, and/or often.

I did save up and bought a new graphics card, and it went into my old computer, which was 7 years old dual core computer with a dieing Hard Drive. Then, with Christmas Computer, I finally got a computer than can run MWO without needing to be all on minimum settings and can get more than 20-30 FPS. It ONLY took a mass influx of money from my wonderful family, and 2-3 years of saving to get the better computer. (Been replacing parts as they died for years, but when the Hard Drive starts to go, and the processor can't handle the new stuff anymore... time to start saving.)

College loans are a killer. If my College did what they said they would do, and not "go out of business" right after I graduated, I might have an $30-80 an hour job. However, they broke promises, didn't help me at all finding a job (they were suppose to help by telling me where the jobs are to go an apply for them), and instead got shafted with the bill and no help... (Where I live doesn't help much, as there are very few jobs in my degree field here.)

Food- I do try when I can afford to.
Electricity- My bill with just me and my brother use to be $30-60. Then I had a 3rd roommate move in that was suppose to help lower bills. Bills jumped over double most times. Electric is now $60-120 with her around...
Car Insurance- I pay $150 for 6 months, $300 a year. I haven't been able to find anything cheaper. I also take advantage of "paying in full" options to reduce the payments.

And I'm only one example. Other people are even harder pressed than I am. (Like my third roommate... :rolleyes:, who owes me hundreds in unpaid internet bills, as it was suppose to be split. And I have to keep lending her gas money so she can get to work and pay her part of rent.)

My point being, just arbitrarily saying "Just buy a new computer" isn't always an option, and making a game that "I can play now on minimum settings" into "I can't play this game anymore with my computer" can make a game, literally, unplayable and unobtainable. Then, they have to go find something else to do for fun...

Edit: I'd like to add, if they could place all this into the game and either have so it can be turned off, or not effect low end performance, I'd be for most of it. Depending upon how it is implemented of course.

Edited by Tesunie, 20 January 2014 - 12:43 PM.

#65 warp103

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 342 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Locationdaytona Beach fl

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:46 PM

View PostWhite Bear 84, on 19 January 2014 - 03:38 PM, said:

These are all cool ideas, but would like the basic stuff to be working right first..

CW - UI2.0 - SPIDERS - HIT DETECTION - SHADER ISSUE IN FROZEN CITY (Seriously - since closed beta?!).....

The basic things make the game; cant make a cake with just icing...

Add to that spots were you can see the other guy and you fire hitting a hit box that not shape right. {Boat river city} You to clear boat fully to fire.

View PostRyoken, on 19 January 2014 - 02:14 PM, said:

Yes you know, the guy doing the grafic effects is the same guy that also does the database and backend of community warfare... :rolleyes:

So all this stuff to add immersion just time for thing that are already in the game not fixed. This above is a art issue{the same guy still has not fixed} from CB. IT also holds up CW.. ex

#66 Karyudo ds

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,706 posts
  • LocationChaos March

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:49 PM

No I dont like all the buttons.

I just wish to laugh at the wording of this one. Because somewhere out there, some one does hate ALL of the buttons!

#67 Will9761

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,671 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:49 PM

All I can say for those options are:

Please do.

#68 Therrinian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 197 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:57 PM

View PostTesunie, on 20 January 2014 - 12:39 PM, said:

Edit: I'd like to add, if they could place all this into the game and either have so it can be turned off, or not effect low end performance, I'd be for most of it. Depending upon how it is implemented of course.

Thanks for getting back to the point.

In my opinion these things wouldnt be very intensive, one gush of smoke would probably be a lot less impeding than a streak SRM 2 hit, those generate plenty of dark smoke.

Shouldnt be much of a performance hit.

Just so you can put what I am proposing into perspective. :rolleyes:

#69 warp103

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 342 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 01:01 PM

View PostImperius, on 20 January 2014 - 12:20 PM, said:

$150 gets you a decent graphics card that would easily run this game with said effects.

Sorry you fell for that standard American college loan bs that claims it will brighten your future. When in truth it darkens it.

Food - try to buy in bulk.
Electricity - get LED bulbs saves a ton
Car Insurance - (check to see if you're eligible to get lower insurance) you do this by checking if they offer a discount to those who don't drive far, and/or often.

So you going to tell someone to buy led lights to save a ton. lol They cost 28 dollars min. it take 4 years to recoup the upfront cost.
Then you have the nerve to tell someone for get check for cheaper car insurance. ??? for what go get a GCard to play the game. First PGI min spec should play the game at lowest settings at 30fps. If it does not then it not min specs is it. So adding all the immersion in the world not going to fix that. When are you going to get on PGI for that. Do not blame the player for lot in life. Blame pgi for not having there **** right after 2 years.

Ask for Optimization not some damn immerson. Ask for them to fix multi-GPU support. Not this lame stuff that a pro gamer would just shut off so he could get a few FPS to kill you better.

#70 Imperius

• The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts
  • LocationOn Reddit and Twitter

Posted 20 January 2014 - 01:21 PM

View PostTherrinian, on 18 January 2014 - 08:27 AM, said:

Russ Bullock asked for this poll over at NGNG so here it is!

I would like to gauge the community for more pilot and cockpit effects.

Such as but not limited to:

Steam on in cockpit on high heat 80% or more.

Sparks and breaking pipes and cables when taking internal damage.

Cockpit glass damage and breaking when taking internal head damage.

Pilot moving his hands to flip switches (like during the startup sequence)
for mech functions such as: Nightvision, Heatvision, Missile bay doors, ECM mode.

Pilot audio queue with coordinates for airstrikes and artillity strikes.

Things like this would greatly improve immersion, the game is already taking baby steps towards these but I would like to see them going even further.

Hey can you add single player campaign up there too?

#71 Therrinian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 197 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 20 January 2014 - 01:26 PM

View PostImperius, on 20 January 2014 - 01:21 PM, said:

Hey can you add single player campaign up there too?

there is already a thread on this and it is already immensely popular

#72 Imperius

• The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts
  • LocationOn Reddit and Twitter

Posted 20 January 2014 - 01:35 PM

View Postwarp103, on 20 January 2014 - 01:01 PM, said:

So you going to tell someone to buy led lights to save a ton. lol They cost 28 dollars min. it take 4 years to recoup the upfront cost.
Then you have the nerve to tell someone for get check for cheaper car insurance. ??? for what go get a GCard to play the game. First PGI min spec should play the game at lowest settings at 30fps. If it does not then it not min specs is it. So adding all the immersion in the world not going to fix that. When are you going to get on PGI for that. Do not blame the player for lot in life. Blame pgi for not having there **** right after 2 years.

Ask for Optimization not some damn immerson. Ask for them to fix multi-GPU support. Not this lame stuff that a pro gamer would just shut off so he could get a few FPS to kill you better.

Dude you sound mad chill out. I see people constantly vote no for more features because "their" PC can't run it. If it was suggested in the original posts of these people to have an option to turn them off then fine. I would have read over it. Don't leave the guys that have the rig hanging for ones own needs. As for people like me with a nice computer shouldn't leave those who aren't blessed with one out of this awesome game.

I asked because I wanted to get a grasp of his current situation. If he had told me he smoked and drank I would have cared less about his situation.

LED's pay for themselves faster depending on usage.
The insurance idea is a new thing that has come out and has saved me money.

I think you mistook me for being an ***. I am really trying to help the dude. Playing any game you love on minimum still has to suck.

View PostTherrinian, on 20 January 2014 - 01:26 PM, said:

there is already a thread on this and it is already immensely popular

Hmm it may be the one from last week that lost traction. I'll search thanks for bringing it to my attention :rolleyes:

#73 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,586 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:11 PM

View PostTherrinian, on 20 January 2014 - 12:57 PM, said:

Thanks for getting back to the point.

In my opinion these things wouldnt be very intensive, one gush of smoke would probably be a lot less impeding than a streak SRM 2 hit, those generate plenty of dark smoke.

Shouldnt be much of a performance hit.

Just so you can put what I am proposing into perspective. :rolleyes:

My intent was never to post outside the topic, and I felt that my response to the "if it slows down my computer" "Buy a new computer" wasn't too far off... :(

I mean, I have a nice computer now. But I recall (as it's not even been a month with my new computer) how my older one would handle the game, and it was slightly above specs! If they can get these effects without impacting game performance (either by an off setting, or it just not taking anything to process, whatever), then I think they would be fine.

A little sweat on the cockpit glass never hurt anyone, right? (Though it looks like we are wearing los-tech cooling suits instead of cooling vests like most pilots...)

#74 Tahuti

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 58 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:28 PM

Bring it on!

Er... When will be there an option to target an allied and get info about it's loadout/damage/ etc.? (Like in other MW titles)

#75 warp103

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 342 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 04:30 PM

View PostImperius, on 20 January 2014 - 01:35 PM, said:

Dude you sound mad chill out. I see people constantly vote no for more features because "their" PC can't run it. If it was suggested in the original posts of these people to have an option to turn them off then fine. I would have read over it. Don't leave the guys that have the rig hanging for ones own needs. As for people like me with a nice computer shouldn't leave those who aren't blessed with one out of this awesome game.

I asked because I wanted to get a grasp of his current situation. If he had told me he smoked and drank I would have cared less about his situation.

LED's pay for themselves faster depending on usage.
The insurance idea is a new thing that has come out and has saved me money.

I think you mistook me for being an ***. I am really trying to help the dude. Playing any game you love on minimum still has to suck.

Hmm it may be the one from last week that lost traction. I'll search thanks for bringing it to my attention :rolleyes:

Mad no, Seeing someone tell someone about someone else's economic state, Rubbed me the wrong way. I took it as you being a ***. I see that you are not so. I apologies for the way I stated it.

Some have blame the player for not having the money to play a game they love. I for one have a great comp, avg comp and a min playable spec. I love playing on my great comp when my business use allow it{computer company I have}. My kids play on the other 2. They should have the same ability at least to get 30 fps. They do not. I have no faith pgi will fix the min spec values to allow 30 fps. For PGI to ask for feedback on immersion, and not fix the min FPS issue or all the other Gfx issues just sound dumb.

IF CW,fps,knock downs,UI2.0,HIT DETECTION,SHADER ISSUE, hit box that not shape right.etc etc. were in and working right. Then it would be go for all the immersion you want. Long as I can turn it off. Till then their pirority's are fubar

Edit for grammar/spelling

Edited by warp103, 20 January 2014 - 05:07 PM.

#76 Troutmonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 20 January 2014 - 07:04 PM

Only if it comes with an option to disable for poor suckers with average PCs.

#77 Lucian Nostra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 07:20 PM

View PostImperius, on 20 January 2014 - 11:42 AM, said:

Get better computers?

Oh sorry for thinking my I7 with 16 gigs of ram and a gtx 660ti shouldn't need more {Scrap} from MWO's poorly optimized {Scrap}

#78 Therrinian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 197 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 21 January 2014 - 07:18 AM

View PostLucian Nostra, on 20 January 2014 - 07:20 PM, said:

Oh sorry for thinking my I7 with 16 gigs of ram and a gtx 660ti shouldn't need more {Scrap} from MWO's poorly optimized {Scrap}

one effect, less intensive than a streak SRM 2 hit shouldnt ruin your performance, anyway it is scaled by the 'particles' setting in your video settings, so you can set it to nearly nothing if you wanted it.

#79 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:12 AM

im fine with all this nonsense as long as you can turn it on/off.

#80 z3a1ot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:40 AM

Yes please! This is some cool stuff.

One of the reasons I started to play this game is the "simulation" aspect of it. This would greatly contribute to that aspect and immersion effect. Im sure it can be done without being too much intrusive like many people are afraid of.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users