93 replies to this topic

#61 NRP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 12 March 2014 - 06:52 AM

It's kind of amusing to read the "awesome" advice for surviving in an Awesome: Just follow a bigger mech around! (same advice given for every weak ass chassis in the game) When PGI implements 3/3/3/3, your Awesome will likely be the "bigger" mech everyone else is trying to follow. Then what?

#62 Flyto

• PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 08:04 AM

View PostTrevor Belmont, on 12 March 2014 - 06:03 AM, said:

I'm going to try out a 9M with 2 PPC, 4 ML, 23 DHS and an XL375. No ES or FF.

I have a 9M with 2 PPC, 4 MPL, 1 SRM6 (yes, it fires in pairs), an XL370 and as many heatsinks as will fit. It's a lot of fun!
(remove the SRM and replace with heatsinks if you have trouble)

I don't play any other awesomes any more, though.

#63 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 08:10 AM

View PostVoivode, on 12 March 2014 - 06:23 AM, said:

Exactly! The Pretty Baby is a mountain goat. And as for stopping on flat footed terrain? Careen wildly into the sides of mountains, buildings, whatever object will stop you when you need it.

I actually had a video/animation concept if I can ever figure out how to get the paints and textures onto the mechs after exporting their models... where an Awesome (not specifically the Pretty Baby) is chasing a bunch of lights in one of the most terrifying situations of Closed Beta. Where your average light when 90 kph. Where there were no pilot skill trees. Where the Awesome could go damn near 80 kph without an engine limit. And the prospect of an unstoppable mech that could topple Atlases like a bowling ball to pins. Part of the animation plan includes smashing through parts of buildings because it absolutely could not be stopped.

This below was originally going to be part of it, but after some long discussions about whether or not PPCs should give knockdown chances, I wound up shifting it for another animation concept. May still use it for the Awesome chase, though, and replace the AC/20/PPC shot with a swing of the Awesome's left arm. Issue is the Awesome would need to keep going, unable to stop, and slam into a building or off a ledge into the water of River City in order to give time for the Commando to try and rouse the Raven pilot awake.

View PostKoniving, on 16 August 2013 - 08:47 PM, said:

The following is an excerpt from a scene I am planning to do with 3D animations outside of MWO, using MWO models. I figure these are much more worth the time invested, and won't delay my chassis introductions as these aren't required to be finished to send those out.
-------------------------
The Commando and the Raven are pushing through the open streets in a mad dash from their far superior pursuers. Around them the buildings are shredding from heavy weapons fire.

The Raven's pilot sees something in the corner of his eye that the Commando cannot, and he pushes his MASC to accelerate and slam into the back of his Commando comrade in an effort to shove it out of the way of the incoming blast. The Commando unexpectedly finds herself thrown forward, barely catching herself and reducing the damage as she slides across the asphalt.

Meanwhile the incoming AC/20 slug hits the Raven 2x in the shield arm and literally crushes it as the impact itself spirals the Raven into a complete 360 tumble through the air. All time slows down. The view through the dented transparent steel cockpit viewport shows the entire world upside down as arms dangle haplessly. Vision blurs.

Abruptly time resumes as the Raven slams into the side of a building, concaving the structure. The Raven's left leg tremors due to some feedback. It isn't getting up.

Meanwhile that Commando which the Raven saved is back on her feet. The same shot would have killed her instantly.

The building itself is likely to collapse at any moment. Back in the Raven's cockpit, the pilot has lost consciousness. A monitor displays the female Commando pilot trying to get his attention. "The hell did you do something stupid like that for!? Get up! C'mon get on your feet damn it! We can't dally around here. They're coming! Oh f--"

A rehashing of a certain part of a larger cinematic scene I'm working on involving light-hunting fast assault-class mechs, and the tragic tale of the lights running from them.

Set to the music playing here.

And... this wasn't originally an intention but after seeing it there's no way I can make the video without doing it... Warning strong language.

Whacha think?

#64 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 08:34 AM

View PostNRP, on 12 March 2014 - 06:52 AM, said:

It's kind of amusing to read the "awesome" advice for surviving in an Awesome: Just follow a bigger mech around! (same advice given for every weak ass chassis in the game) When PGI implements 3/3/3/3, your Awesome will likely be the "bigger" mech everyone else is trying to follow. Then what?

Then you wish PGI would use my variant stock armor + 3 tons = new variant max armor concept.

Then most Awesomes would have more armor than Stalkers and rival Battlemasters.
Dragons would almost have as much armor as Stalkers.
Quickdraws would simply have more armor than their current max.
Jagermechs would stop being brawlers (seriously look at their stock armor and add 96...)
Victors would stop being the high end 80 ton mech; just the high end for firepower and pinpoint (as most are at minimum 94 points below Awesomes in armor, some lower than that).
Cataphract 4X would be the most armored Cataphract, and the 3D would be the least armored (tied with the 1x).

The chain reaction continues.
Shadowhawks become the worst 55 ton mechs in terms of armor. The most armored one, the 5M, is on par with the Centurion AL. It also has the worst firepower potential. The Shadowhawk with the best firepower potential has the armor of a Raven 2X.
The Locust gets the armor of a Jenner D.
Raven 3-L is better armored, but very low-end in terms of armor.
Raven 4X and Jenner F become the best armored 35 ton lights.
The Raven 2X and the most armored Firestarter become equal in armor.
All other firestarters are only a niche above the 3-L but still higher than the Jenner D and K.
Commandos and Cicadas become equal in armor. Commandos with better turning, arm range, etc. Cicadas -- that's where the stock engine + 6 ratings comes in. Sure, this slows down a lot of mechs. But think about this, the Cicada is the second fastest mech to make up for the fact that its armor is awful. The Locust being the fastest to make up for the lack of firepower compared to a Jenner D (which has equal armor to the Locust).

So what if your armor is too low for your tastes?
Try Ferro! After all it's stock armor tonnage + 3 tons... So if your mech starts with 6 tons of armor... (6 * 32 = 192) and + 3 tons (96) is your max 288 then why not change to Ferro? 6 tons ferro (6 * 36) + 3 more tons ferro (3 * 36) = 324 armor!
(Special thanks to Buckminister for the Ferro tonnage concept).

#65 Voivode

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 08:54 AM

View PostNRP, on 12 March 2014 - 06:52 AM, said:

Well, then the other team won't be 8 assault mechs...so, the Awesome really will be a bigger mech on the battlefield.

#66 Cold Cash

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 165 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 04:31 PM

For those that havent tried it.

PB 3x ml, 3x srm4+art, 400xl amazing brawler. 89.1kmh, huge torso twist, awesome!! hillclimb.
Best part is when u own people are like WTF. last night had 5 kill alpine game 820damage.
It can solo nearly any assault, heavy or med and quite a few lights. Usual problems vs spiders and ac40 **** and bad maps/teams.
Hardest part is the patience to wait and get in position, on bad maps i tend to wait and wait and wait for the right time to charge in and brawl.
If we could choose maps this thing would see massive amount of play from me since it is really good at its role.

#67 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 07:55 AM

One more build for the Awesome 8V that I've been enjoying:

- Standard 300
- Endo, DHS, AMS
- 3 Large Lasers
- 3 SRM 6's
- Fill with double Heat sinks and keep the armor up.

End result is a bit warm, but still pretty good. Sure, it doesn't have jump jets or lots of pinpoint alpha, but you have decent firepower across all ranges, and the SRM packs (assuming your hit registration is decent) will clobber big targets up close as the lasers carve them up. Also, what this mech lacks in pinpoint damage is made up for with its high alpha total. Just be sure to not put all 3 lasers on the same trigger to avoid ghost heat... though since 1 is in the arm and the other 2 in are in a torso, you probably wouldn't do that anyway.

For those who are willing to take the heat risk, ER large lasers have the same weight as normal ones, so you might experiment with that if you can handle the extra heat.

Enjoy, follow Awesome nuts!

Edited by oldradagast, 14 March 2014 - 07:57 AM.

#68 Lightfoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,611 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 14 March 2014 - 07:42 PM

No, we like the Awesome. We just want it fixed. It's not a bad mech and with an ST engine it is a bit tougher now, but it is only tougher because we said it had some serious problems, for months, mostly with the old CT size compared to other mechs. Pretty Baby is another issue.

In the Closed beta I began reporting on problems with the Awesome. I feel like I pilot the Awesome the best, but it gave me a deep hole of negative numbers and losses for my team. Switching to another mech has given me nothing but positive numbers week after week. And remember this was before they added Ghost Heat which invalidated all my Awesome builds, and, adding a PPC minimum range with no Field Inhibitor disable switch.

So there is nothing "L33T" about saying the Awesome has problems compared to other mechs. In fact if you don't complain you are doing the Awesome a disservice. PGI needs to make the AWS-9M stock mech function well with low overheats as it does in Battletech. You need to speak out when you see something wrong, even if you continue using the mech.

#69 Gorgo7

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,220 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 15 March 2014 - 05:55 AM

View PostLightfoot, on 14 March 2014 - 07:42 PM, said:

No, we like the Awesome. We just want it fixed. It's not a bad mech and with an ST engine it is a bit tougher now, but it is only tougher because we said it had some serious problems, for months, mostly with the old CT size compared to other mechs. Pretty Baby is another issue.

In the Closed beta I began reporting on problems with the Awesome. I feel like I pilot the Awesome the best, but it gave me a deep hole of negative numbers and losses for my team. Switching to another mech has given me nothing but positive numbers week after week. And remember this was before they added Ghost Heat which invalidated all my Awesome builds, and, adding a PPC minimum range with no Field Inhibitor disable switch.

So there is nothing "L33T" about saying the Awesome has problems compared to other mechs. In fact if you don't complain you are doing the Awesome a disservice. PGI needs to make the AWS-9M stock mech function well with low overheats as it does in Battletech. You need to speak out when you see something wrong, even if you continue using the mech.

Well said!

#70 Trevor Belmont

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 290 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 07:26 AM

I've had simply terrible luck with my Awesome 9M, especially with the XL engine. Going to try a STD 300 engine with 2 PPCs, 4 ML and 21 DHS. No ES or FF, but AMS w/2tons ammo.

#71 Gorgo7

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,220 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 27 March 2014 - 10:08 AM

View PostTrevor Belmont, on 27 March 2014 - 07:26 AM, said:

I've had simply terrible luck with my Awesome 9M, especially with the XL engine. Going to try a STD 300 engine with 2 PPCs, 4 ML and 21 DHS. No ES or FF, but AMS w/2tons ammo.

Try this build with an XL 350, 3xPPC's, 3xSRM4's, AMS. Very nimble for it's weight.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...7793064f1801368
Not the best damage for it's weight, but it sure likes to kill things!
Cheers,

Gorgo7

Edited by Gorgo7, 29 March 2014 - 09:43 AM.

#72 Coburn

• PipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 53 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 27 March 2014 - 10:45 AM

At the 51min mark in the following video you will see HHoD Team 007 using Awesome's in Marik Civil War Season 3 - Trial of Position Match Round 3 vs BSK Wardens

http://www.youtube.c...H9bUBnUs#t=1012

#73 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 10:53 AM

Standard engines are for little children. Real men XL Awesome LRM boat FTW. Battle plan: 1. Unload all missiles. 2. Take potshots with PPCs. 3. When all else fails, ramming speed.

#74 Eximar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • LocationStill living in 3025

Posted 27 March 2014 - 10:58 AM

View PostKoniving, on 12 March 2014 - 08:34 AM, said:

Then you wish PGI would use my variant stock armor + 3 tons = new variant max armor concept.
(Special thanks to Buckminister for the Ferro tonnage concept).

Indeed I do wish. Absofraggintively love that idea.

#75 Trevor Belmont

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 290 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 11:33 AM

View PostGorgo7, on 27 March 2014 - 10:08 AM, said:

Try this build with an XL 350, 3xPPC's, 3xSRM4's, AMS. Very nimble for it's weight.
<a href="http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=32&l=a88325fdbd6f138e41458aeb57793064f1801368">AWS-9M</a>
Not the best damage for it's weight but it sure likes to kill things!
Cheers,

Gorgo7

Interesting

Edited by Trevor Belmont, 27 March 2014 - 11:34 AM.

#76 kesuga7

• The Challenger
  • The Challenger
  • 1,022 posts
  • LocationSegmentum solar - Sector solar - Subsector sol - Hive world - "Holy terra"

Posted 29 March 2014 - 05:09 AM

Standard engine 380 - 84.6 KPH - 465 armor
6 medium lasers - 19 doubles
charga!

change cockpit laser to a flamer for added greatness

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a136e8daf6a8fa5

pretty baby with 3 mids 3 srm 2 at 88 kph with standard

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...90da0f09c6f8ed5

srm 4, 4 mids ,17 doubles ,81.3 with standard
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...55407eb1d2ba74b

Edited by kesuga7, 30 March 2014 - 01:09 PM.

#77 VIPER2207

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 565 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 29 March 2014 - 11:34 PM

View Postkesuga7, on 29 March 2014 - 05:09 AM, said:

Standard engine 380 - 84.6 KPH - 465 armor
6 medium lasers - 19 doubles
charga!

change cockpit laser to a flamer for added greatness

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a136e8daf6a8fa5

Posted Image

#78 Trevor Belmont

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 290 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:40 PM

My 9M was sold back. Tried it long enough to simply hate how slow it moved and turned. Wasted so much c-bills on it.

#79 Dunning Kruger Effect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 135 posts
  • LocationHiding behind my Dragon's centre torso

Posted 01 April 2014 - 01:04 PM

So true!

"It's a support mech" "hide behind your team" "make sure no enemy sees you" = "this is a sub-par mech"

I'd much rather have a mech that could actually fight well itself, and actually didn't rely on the other team being distracted or the unlikely event of my team mates being competent.

I love the look of the Awesome, but the Victor is actually capable of "fighting", for the same 80 tons.

Heck, a Jenner has pretty much the same firepower as most Awesome builds, and is far more mobile and survivable. Even a Dragon (which is not a "great" mech by any means) can carry 4 LL.... at 100+kph.

#80 Flyto

• PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 01:10 PM

View PostDunning Kruger Effect, on 01 April 2014 - 01:04 PM, said:

I love the look of the Awesome, but the Victor is actually capable of "fighting", for the same 80 tons.

Heck, a Jenner has pretty much the same firepower as most Awesome builds, and is far more mobile and survivable. Even a Dragon (which is not a "great" mech by any means) can carry 4 LL.... at 100+kph.

Yeah, people who take heavies and assualts and put so much tonnage into engines that they carry 6 medium lasers are a pet annoyance of mine ;-) My AWS-9M has two PPCs and 4 MPLs, as well as some SRMs. That is more firepower than a Jenner! It is less than most assaults, though, and it plays as a fat Medium. This is fine at present, but won't be once the 3/3/3/3 thing comes in and it potentially replaces an Atlas

EDIT: AWS-9M

Edited by Flyto, 01 April 2014 - 11:40 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users