#1 Captain Stiffy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:27 PM

YOU BROKE THE FIX
WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Edited by Captain Stiffy, 25 May 2014 - 01:23 AM.

#2 Warblood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 503 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Qc, Cnd

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:44 PM

Bryan Ekman @bryanekman 21. Jan.

"We're looking into a toggle for the cockpit glass for video creators. Also, we plan to allow more camera controls with priv matches."

If you look closely, you'll notice it's not dirt... it's damage to the glass. It makes sense for a machine that's supposed to be decades or centuries old, deployed in the harshest of environments, and held together with battlefield salvage and untold repairs.

Also why did u need to make a new post.. u could have just added to the half if not a dozen other post on this same subject on the first 2 pages.

#3 CygnusX7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,803 posts
  • LocationA desolate moon circling a desolate planet

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:07 PM

Don't agree and don't understand why so much angst over it.

#4 Xyroc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 855 posts
  • LocationFighting the Clan Invasion

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:10 PM

I dont get how thre is so much QQ over the cockpit glass its not even that bad ... besides how do you assume your mech would be clean after dropping in from altitude and landing on harsh environments

#5 KharnZor

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,584 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:47 PM

View PostBeliall, on 23 January 2014 - 01:10 PM, said:

I dont get how thre is so much QQ over the cockpit glass its not even that bad ... besides how do you assume your mech would be clean after dropping in from altitude and landing on harsh environments

Fear of new things.

#6 Trauglodyte

• 4,373 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:51 PM

This is turning into the new "PPCs/ACs are OP"

#7 RetroActive

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • LocationFL, USA

Posted 23 January 2014 - 02:15 PM

Wow...breathe.

It's really not that bad and the sky is not falling. This is the same exact stuff you said in the other cockpit glass thread and you felt the need to start a new thread as well. You really do sound like a teenager who will never be satisfied.

#8 Villz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 627 posts
  • Locationstraya m8

Posted 23 January 2014 - 02:57 PM

TLDR:
People who can make shots and use their skill want to have a less obsecured view whilst people who can't make shots long range can't even tell why some people dislike it so much.

Edited by Villz, 23 January 2014 - 02:57 PM.

#9 DocBach

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,828 posts
  • LocationSouthern Oregon

Posted 23 January 2014 - 03:00 PM

stealth nerf to long range sniping meta - "********* on this laptop at 1600x900 resolution I can't tell if that's a Mech or a rock or a scratch in my viewport!"

#10 wintersborn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:57 PM

I agree with the OP, PGI seems to waste time and money on things no one wants or asked for.

It does not make the game better it just annoys the hell out of players by making the game look worse, something PGI seems good at so far.

I honestly think the will try to have some sort of MC only module that will give you clear vision. Nerf something then charge people to fix it, yeah that sounds about right.

Edited by wintersborn, 23 January 2014 - 05:00 PM.

#11 MoonUnitBeta

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 23 January 2014 - 05:27 PM

View PostCygnusX7, on 23 January 2014 - 01:07 PM, said:

Don't agree and don't understand why so much angst over it.

Because it's new. Because it's a change. Anything new or changed is hypercritisized.

Edited by MoonUnitBeta, 23 January 2014 - 05:27 PM.

#12 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 23 January 2014 - 05:29 PM

View PostDocBach, on 23 January 2014 - 03:00 PM, said:

stealth nerf to long range sniping meta - "********* on this laptop at 1600x900 resolution I can't tell if that's a Mech or a rock or a scratch in my viewport!"

It's also annoying for brawlers, and basically anyone else who prefers gameplay over realism features in a giant robot game set in the year 3050, in space. :\

View PostMoonUnitBeta, on 23 January 2014 - 05:27 PM, said:

Because it's new. Because it's a change. Anything new or changed is hypercritisized.

There are tons and tons of old features that are criticized just as much now as they were at their inception. I don't think I have to list them...

#13 Mudhutwarrior

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationThe perimieter, out here there are no stars.

Posted 23 January 2014 - 05:29 PM

It doesn't bother me so bad as I can barely see anyways. ;)

I can understand how it would bother snipers a lot though. My only issue is like above it seems like a waste of time no one wanted to begin with.
I know I have my brightness and gamma tweaked pretty hard so I can get by and none of my friends can handle it so maybe if they gave us the option to turn it off or a sliding scale to diminish the effects it would be a happy medium.
In this fantasy future I can't imagine some deck ape would not be polishing it out every turnaround as anyone in aviation knows they would so the whole scratch thing seems out of place.

#14 MoonUnitBeta

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 05:37 PM

View PostFupDup, on 23 January 2014 - 05:29 PM, said:

It's also annoying for brawlers, and basically anyone else who prefers gameplay over realism features in a giant robot game set in the year 3050, in space. :\

There are tons and tons of old features that are criticized just as much now as they were at their inception. I don't think I have to list them...

Well.. I wouldn't say, "tons and tons of old features that are criticized just as much now as they were at their inception". We are not getting pages of people bending backwards over 3rd person view, ghost heat, coolant flush, gold mechs, terra therma, ecm. If anything they've become inside jokes and just tools that people use to bash or pick at PGI. If they were criticized as much now as they were before, this forum would literally be unreadable. Ghost heat gets tossed around, but most people use it now as an example or a point of reference. Maybe you might have to list them haha, I dunno, but maybe I'm missing it? Sorry. But I don't think resorting to hyperbole is an effective way to get a point across.

edit: i'm actually working on a scale as i typed this. 3pv being like, a 10. coolant flush/consumables is around an 9... ecm was an 8 for sure but maybe replaced by ghost heat or GH is a 7, cockpit glass is 4 or 5ish.. if you have ideas for the lower ones let me know
Edit: oh! Jump jet shake... that was popular.

Edited by MoonUnitBeta, 23 January 2014 - 05:42 PM.

#15 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 23 January 2014 - 05:47 PM

View PostMoonUnitBeta, on 23 January 2014 - 05:37 PM, said:

Well.. I wouldn't say, "tons and tons of old features that are criticized just as much now as they were at their inception". We are not getting pages of people bending backwards over 3rd person view, ghost heat, coolant flush, gold mechs,. If anything they've become inside jokes and just tools that people use to bash or pick at PGI. If they were criticized as much now as they were before, this forum would literally be unreadable. Ghost heat gets tossed around, but most people use it now as an example or a point of reference. Maybe you might have to list them haha, I dunno, but maybe I'm missing it? Sorry. But I don't think resorting to hyperbole is an effective way to get a point across.

Alright, it was admittedly a bit of a hyperbole on my part, but most of the things criticized on this forum are old news. The only new developments we have right now are cockpit glass and the upcoming Narc buff. Everything else, i.e. SRM nerf, ballistics OP, heat system, heat scale, 3PV, Matchmaker, Elo, queues, VOIP, communication (or lack thereof), LRMs, pinpoint damage, ECM, hardpoints, UI 2.0 mechlab interface, film grain, certain underpowered weapons (i.e. LPL), Gauss Rifle charge, Spiders, C-Bills, Role Warfare (or lack thereof), tonnage limits/matching, and other stuff I can't think of right now have been discussed to death and will probably continue being discussed because most of them haven't made any progress.

Back to what you said earlier, the "people are afraid of change" argument is nonsensical. Not all changes are good (and, similarly, not all changes are bad). Different =/= good (or bad). Maybe there might be a select handful who really do hate things solely because they're different, but most people probably have some kind of actual reason for disliking a certain change (including the topic of this thread).

Time for another hyperbole: Let's pretend that the devs added pink unicorns that had a 1% chance of spawning in each match. Killing them would reward the player with a special killsound (like Heavy Metal, but with ponies) and pink pony camo. Would people criticize it? Hellz yea, because it would be a really dumb change. Conversely, something like increasing LPL damage by 1-2 points wouldn't be criticized by anyone in their right mind, because it would be a good change.

Edited by FupDup, 23 January 2014 - 05:54 PM.

#16 Airu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 201 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 05:50 PM

Just checked the new patch, I think that ppl who are ok with it are those that play with default FOV.
I just cannot stand this new effect in my spider at 110 fov, it makes me think my eyes are blury at edges.
Seriously, why introduce gameplay impairing effects that do not make the game any more realistic... Ever seen plane cockpits? The glass used in military or expensive tech does not refract light like that so much. And this game is set in scifi future, where windows should have polarization and built in filters. BTW in one of the old topics someone said that we can see laser beams because of alternating polarization or something like that...
tl;dr I will wait untill they introduce mech body shop/wash to replace glass

#17 anonymous161

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 1,267 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 23 January 2014 - 05:57 PM

It was just a dumb idea to put in. This is just them trying to come off like they get stuff done. Sure they can when it's something tiny and insignificant like this. Why are they working on this when cw needs done? Wont surprise me if they are just hyping cw but not planning on releasing it. They know they cant get it done sot hey just wasting our time and money till they shut it down.

#18 CycKath

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,580 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSE QLD, Australia

Posted 23 January 2014 - 05:57 PM

Disagree on the dirty windows, definitely agree on the No Signal monitors.

#19 MoonUnitBeta

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 06:00 PM

View PostFupDup, on 23 January 2014 - 05:47 PM, said:

Alright, it was admittedly a bit of a hyperbole on my part, but most of the things criticized on this forum are old news. The only new developments we have right now are cockpit glass and the upcoming Narc buff. Everything else, i.e. SRM nerf, ballistics OP, heat system bad, heat scale bad, 3PV, queues, VOIP, communication (or lack thereof), LRMs, pinpoint damage, ECM, hardpoints, UI 2.0 mechlab interface, film grain, certain underpowered weapons (i.e. LPL), Gauss Rifle charge, Spiders, C-Bills, and other stuff I can't think of right now have been discussed to death and will probably continue being discussed because most of them haven't made any progress.

Back to what you said earlier, the "people are afraid of change" argument is nonsensical. Not all changes are good (and, similarly, not all changes are bad). Different =/= better. Maybe there might be a select handful who really do hate things just cuz they're different, but most people probably have some kind of actual reason for disliking a certain change (including the topic of this thread).

Oh okay I see what you're getting at. I wasn't meaning that those things you've listed off aren't being readily talked about, you're right they are, and some of them carry quite a bit of merit. But you shown some light onto what my first post was about, and that there are people out there who do bish and complain because it is different, or, not necessarily different, but rather a change. You can't go back to the old way now, and there's some(a lot?) of people here that only complain because they were so used to before and fight for changes to be reverted. They're comparing old to new, and they are biased to the old ways. Personally I like the cockpit glass. It has a good feeling, but I gave my feedback here to improve upon it. It is a little extreme, but the effect is nice and ties things together nicely, it just needs some tweaking.

I'll reiterate again though, hypercriticisim is the problem here. New things -are- criticized harder than old items, I'm not talking about the persistence of those topics. The older items people talk about, there are actually some decent discussions about. But with new things, you get threads like this one that clutter up the forum, and belong in a support ticket, and not as a topic discussion. People just go ape-sht and feel like they need to blow it out of proportion, riot, "it's time for a revolution", rather than be decent about it. But hey, those decent threads rarely get much discussion anyways. It's the controversial ones, the annoying ones, the ones that all you need to do is post a quick one liner to fuel the rage, those are the ones that get the most notice.

edit: added link to my feedback
edit: lol i was thinking about a different OP while typing this. whoops~ changed.
edit: yeah my focus here was mostly about cockpit glass, not so much the other items he mentions.

Edited by MoonUnitBeta, 23 January 2014 - 06:08 PM.

#20 SpiralRazor

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 06:06 PM

Signed, please put in a toggle so that users who dont want grain or cockpit effects dont have to deal with them.

You want your fluff, fine...but dont force me to use it.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users