Quickdraws

10 replies to this topic

#1 Krujiente

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 01:20 PM

I bought a 4-H on a lark and fell for it immediately after getting double heatsinks into it.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...5e4682ec8c66cf4

The chassis is great for guerrila warfare-tactics and has enough weight for me to put a varied loadout on it. The thing can FLY with good hardpoint placement and a lot more armor then I am used to without losing much mobility. It loses its legs SO QUICKLY THOUGH, is that a hitbox thing or just I am getting legged regularly even though I have them fully armored? (part of it might be damage spread from JJ-spinning during a brawl, but even when I am grounded I take a crapton of leg hits).

#2 Sagamore

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 930 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 26 January 2014 - 04:59 PM

The 4H is my favourite Quickdraw. It makes a great C-Bill farmer as a fast LRM support too if you get bored of the SRMs.

I run mine with 3 ML, 1 Tag, 2 LRM 15s. XL engine is a must. You can throw an LRM 5 on as well but I opted to use that tonnage for more ammo. Because you are fast and mobile, it is often possible to keep the 180 minimum distance from large assaults while bombarding them with your 30 tubes.

#3 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 05:24 PM

View PostKrujiente, on 26 January 2014 - 01:20 PM, said:

I bought a 4-H on a lark and fell for it immediately after getting double heatsinks into it.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...5e4682ec8c66cf4

The chassis is great for guerrila warfare-tactics and has enough weight for me to put a varied loadout on it. The thing can FLY with good hardpoint placement and a lot more armor then I am used to without losing much mobility. It loses its legs SO QUICKLY THOUGH, is that a hitbox thing or just I am getting legged regularly even though I have them fully armored? (part of it might be damage spread from JJ-spinning during a brawl, but even when I am grounded I take a crapton of leg hits).

Tip: If you're against MGs or LB-10x or AC/10/20, that ammo in your leg is very likely to explode upon being shot in the leg when the armor is gone.

Also, everyone knows the fastest way to get rid of a Quickdraw is the leg; also consider the Quickdraw always stands as if 'squatting', making the legs a little easier to hit in terms of horizontal space to hit. Try to move at diagonals to your targets, never do a full head-on rush or a 90 degree turnaway. Move in 45 degree angles from/to your target.

Zig-zagging helps too when mobile.

#4 Xeno Phalcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 26 January 2014 - 06:02 PM

Quickdraw is a powerful mech but it has a massive weakness: Its the size of a fopping Highlander. I was one of the earliest quickdraw pilots and mastered three of them outright in the span of a week, the problem was that once people became accustomed to seeing them on the field it also became standard practice to go for the legs. Another problem was AC40 jaggers were the majority around that time and it wasnt hard for even the most derpy lamebomber to take a quickdraws leg off.

Maybe once they get their hitboxes tweaked they might be better, but without a straight up resizing it will be like the dragons hitbox fix, not enough.

#5 Krujiente

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 10:20 PM

I don't really have an issue with AC40 jagers, with the ERPPC and the SRMS in close range I can tear them apart pretty quick. But I am also using guerrila war-fare because of dat mobility it gets. Its arms can protect its sides pretty good though, I can survive in a brawl even with the XL, it makes me want to use standard sometimes, but then I'd lose my long range poking ability and if I wanted to just use SRMs and MLs I could play a medium.
Also: When ammo explosions actual chance are more than 1% and some change, I might think about it. :V

Edited by Krujiente, 26 January 2014 - 10:30 PM.

#6 Dth2Vwls

• Pip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:24 PM

The Quickdraw makes a fun heavy striker. I prefer using a 5K outfitted with two large lasers, four medium lasers, and a 340XL. Throw in a big stack of heat sinks and it can hop around the battlefield, supporting heavier teammates as they engage the enemy. In that respect it plays a lot like a Trebuchet 5J that trades speed for heat dissipation and torso mounted weaponry.

When building a Quickdraw, I highly recommend putting your heavy energy weapons in the torso mounts. They're high enough that you can use them effectively from cover, and they will last longer. It's really easy to lose your arms, and that stings a lot less if you're only down a medium laser. Additionally, I always max out the leg armor. The leg hit boxes are massive, and a legged Quickdraw is a dead Quickdraw.

#7 Krujiente

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:58 AM

View PostDth2Vwls, on 27 January 2014 - 08:24 PM, said:

The Quickdraw makes a fun heavy striker. I prefer using a 5K outfitted with two large lasers, four medium lasers, and a 340XL. Throw in a big stack of heat sinks and it can hop around the battlefield, supporting heavier teammates as they engage the enemy. In that respect it plays a lot like a Trebuchet 5J that trades speed for heat dissipation and torso mounted weaponry.

When building a Quickdraw, I highly recommend putting your heavy energy weapons in the torso mounts. They're high enough that you can use them effectively from cover, and they will last longer. It's really easy to lose your arms, and that stings a lot less if you're only down a medium laser. Additionally, I always max out the leg armor. The leg hit boxes are massive, and a legged Quickdraw is a dead Quickdraw.

well yeah I also just stick MLs in mechs' arms if they have deliciously big arm shields

#8 Johnny Two Legs

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 123 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 05:20 PM

I masted all the QD and once done, sold them all except for the 5K.
Equipped with:
4ML and 2 MPL
400/402 Armour
DHS, ES
Cooling effiency of 48%
350XL, 104kph with speed tweek
4 JJ's
AMS

Great for annoying the hell out of slow assaults with jumping/twisting tactics, fast enough to discourage lights/mediums, though unless you focus fire on a specific section it will take a long time to kill fresh heavies/assaults. It's not for the Alpha Strike Derper.

I cannot get the hang of PPC's, so even though I've tried a PPC build it doesnt last long as a configuration.

I just really find the agility, speed and JJ's and extremely potent and satisfying build.

J2L

#9 Krujiente

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:58 AM

View PostJohnny Two Legs, on 28 January 2014 - 05:20 PM, said:

I masted all the QD and once done, sold them all except for the 5K.
Equipped with:
4ML and 2 MPL
400/402 Armour
DHS, ES
Cooling effiency of 48%
350XL, 104kph with speed tweek
4 JJ's
AMS

Great for annoying the hell out of slow assaults with jumping/twisting tactics, fast enough to discourage lights/mediums, though unless you focus fire on a specific section it will take a long time to kill fresh heavies/assaults. It's not for the Alpha Strike Derper.

I cannot get the hang of PPC's, so even though I've tried a PPC build it doesnt last long as a configuration.

I just really find the agility, speed and JJ's and extremely potent and satisfying build.

J2L

I use 3xASRM4 and an ER PPC on the 4H. It makes it a powerful brawler with some ranged bite. I feel like the Quickdraw is too big to only have a few MLs and some LLs that is more the realm of mediums. The arms I put MLs on because they are great for blocking shots, allowing me to skillfully fight mechs 15 tons heavier+ and win if they don't have particularly good torso twisting skills.

On the subject of the leg hitboxes: Quickdraws in tabletop had notoriously easy to damage legs because of a fragile ankle rotor designed for extreme agility. So I am okay with the hitbox if it gets minor hillcimb bonus: Not a huge deal since it already has JJs, but this would allow it to keep speed on even more varied terrain and add a little bit to the Quickdraw's game.

#10 Turist0AT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 04:46 PM

About legs. Because QKD spends so much time in the air, alot of incoming damage hits the legs. I have the all laser version and its very nice. Love the jump distance on it.

Edited by Turist0AT, 06 February 2014 - 04:46 PM.

#11 Johnny Two Legs

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 123 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:41 PM

This is my other QD build, the 4H
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...1b41388e04e25b3
The ML are their for providing some ranged firepower and also whilst torso twisting and jumping etc. Also for fending off the odd light whilst waiting for them to land after jumping or whilst moving in a straight line then the hammer blow below is used.

The real hammer blow is the 3x SRM4's and 2 MPL's.
I only ever use them at close range, i.e. around 100-150M.
At this range, and with a steady hand you can ensure most of that damage, if not all, at a particular mech part. At damaged mechs this will strip armour real quick.
The heat efficiency of this mech means i can use this weapon combo (all the same weapon grouping) 3+ times.

I tend not to engage lone assaults though unless I can tell that they are relatively unskilled or have poor weapon load outs.

Engaging an already engaged mech is my tactic. The QD is great for running in, loosing a volley, jumping over them, turning around and loosing another volley in the rear. If they are quick enough to turn around in time, then that second volley goes to the same location (and also means that the rear of the mech is facing the group I ran from).
It's a great diversion mech - it hits hard enough for some pilots to turn to me whilst the other mechs in my lance are now not on the recieving end, or if the mech doesnt focus on me and continues to fire at the rest of my lance, i can hit hard enough in 2-3 salvos to tear through rear armour.

They are big. Their legs are too large.

However I've never quite gotten the hang of the ranged PPC game and as such I don't do well with that style of play.
I'm not usually an aggresive player, however as I can't do PPC jump sniper play and the load outs are short range, I need to be aggressive to make the most of this build.
And I love it.

People also underestimate the QD so either leave it alone or take me on. If i can't take them I can usually run away or teach them a lesson if possible :)

J2L

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users