56 replies to this topic

#1 Yiazmat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 531 posts
  • LocationCentral CA

Posted 04 February 2014 - 06:35 PM

I got this ****** despite myself saying stop spending money here. turns out, I love this thing more than my spider 5k. and I adore that mech, gentlemen.

at work, so no Smufy builds from me, also going off memory so I may be off a ton, but here's what I've been using for much ambush/backstabinh:

285xl, endo/fero/double, 4mg's (2 tonsammo) 2medlas, 2 smlpls (heat management needed till elite then back to 4ml) just slightly off max armor (16/18 head) and the rest are heat sinks.

pretty basic tbh. I got in the rear ark of an lrm stalker and blew out his right torso with full armor in 4 seconds. poped the xl and I danced away. love this thing.

more good news for you folks on the fence, the firestarter has decent torso lines and very xl savvy. legs are thin, but I get fully legged more often than not because, well, it's a light mech and everyone aims for those first. but they aren't quickdraw big anything. rest of the body is like a love child between a commando and a Victor.

bad(arguable)thing about the whole mech is it has body-builder sized arms. while it sucks to loose your laser firepower, the arms make GREAT shields to absorb damage that would otherwise kill you.

What do you guys think of the Ember? post builds, thoughts. oh and what did you guys name yours? I went with silly "burns whn ip"

edit, I can't say bug ger?

#2 Yiazmat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 531 posts
  • LocationCentral CA

Posted 04 February 2014 - 06:43 PM

oh that stalker was a custom build of someone's. probably had like 3 armor back there. so 4 ml shots 4 spl shots and ~160 mg rounds poppes him. moral of the story, don't let lights core your sphincter!

#3 Lindonius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted 04 February 2014 - 06:55 PM

Over 7 DPS light mech. :(

EMBER

I've been sitting on 4000 MC for over a year because PGI have produced NOTHING worthy of spending it on in that time. But this thing?

Very tempting.....

#4 Yiazmat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 531 posts
  • LocationCentral CA

Posted 04 February 2014 - 07:02 PM

4 meds with no double basics is going to be hot hot HOT. but that's the general build I see. done people do well in then, because they know how to squirrel, others die horribly because they think the net code will save them or they still think they are in their 733c for some reason.

all in all, I think this mech (firestarter) Will bid for top dog light against the Jenner

#5 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 04 February 2014 - 07:12 PM

EMBER is very close to what I've settled on. I've tried several configurations, but this one is the one I seem to do best with. Once you get Cool Run unlocked heat isn't too much of an issue, you don't need more than 2 JJs, and the AMS can be very handy against mechs with only one or two SSRM launchers. I'm even tempted to put an AMS range module on this thing in place of Advanced Sensor Range (gotta keep Target Info Gathering for those MGs).

Edit: I almost always die to double-legging, hence taking armor from the arms instead of the legs, and the ammo in the CT seems to be pretty safe for the most part. It'd probably work to shove the ammo in the sides, too, but the CT has more armor, and leg damage transfer to the sides might make it risky to put the ammo there. Do not put ammo in the legs, as that will kill you faster than anything.

Edited by Levi Porphyrogenitus, 04 February 2014 - 07:14 PM.

#6 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 04 February 2014 - 07:26 PM

It's a beast, but not with medium lasers, that's just a poor mans Jenner. I'm running mine like this:
XL 265
Endo and Ferro
4 Machine guns with 1 ton of ammo (in the head!)
2 ER Large Lasers
1 Jump Jet

Maxed armour except -6 points in the head.

This thing rocks hard, and the jet lets you bring sniper weapons to an otherwise exclusively ECM affair. 650 damage and 4 kills is my best so far. Looking forward to the other variants too, none of which will ever see medium lasers on them!

#7 SgtMagor

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 07:34 PM

for now I just put

XL255-118 kph
armor-224
4-flamers
4-machine guns

I like its stock load out, dunno if iwill ever change that. I think this will be the first mech I actually used its stock weapons.

#8 Lindonius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted 04 February 2014 - 07:37 PM

View PostLevi Porphyrogenitus, on 04 February 2014 - 07:12 PM, said:

I almost always die to double-legging, hence taking armor from the arms instead of the legs,

Take it from the head. Don't need more than 10 there if it's anything like all the other lights at 150kph you'll never get head shot.

#9 Lucian Nostra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 07:39 PM

EMBER

Really thought I'd see more posted like this.. What I've been running and I love it.

Think my best so far is 5 Kills 4 assists and 785 dmg

Edited by Lucian Nostra, 04 February 2014 - 07:42 PM.

#10 Lindonius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted 04 February 2014 - 07:43 PM

A lot of trolling potential too.......

EMBER

#11 Yiazmat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 531 posts
  • LocationCentral CA

Posted 04 February 2014 - 07:49 PM

yup. head box is micro. full armor on legs and arms FOR SURE. arms are needed as shields to soak damage

Edited by Yiazmat, 04 February 2014 - 07:51 PM.

#12 tucsonspeed6

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 408 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:22 PM

XL275, 3 ML, 4 MG, 2 tons of MG ammo, and a TAG. I link the tag to the mgs because if I'm close to an enemy I just lay on those mgs nonstop. This is the only mech that I've felt comfortable enough with the firepower that I'm willing to let some of it go on a TAG, and we're talking about a light here, so that should be worth something too.

#13 John Archer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 402 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:15 PM

Mine:

Maxed armor
XL 295 engine
4 MG
3 Small lasers
1 Flamer (because it's just not a Firestarter without a flamer damnit!)
3 JJ's

Put in the extended range MG module as well as the extended range SL module

I average 2 kills and 300 damage per match thus far.

A very tough little mech that has a lot of sustainability and helps the team greatly. Of course it still cannot take out the unkillable Spider, which is a shame, but all in all a worthy purchase.

Now please tweak the flamers!!

#14 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:25 PM

View PostJohn Archer, on 04 February 2014 - 09:15 PM, said:

Now please tweak the flamers!!

I am very much looking forward to whatever upcoming Flamer changes PGI puts through. I really want to run my Firestarters with actual fire-starting capability, but I just can't justify it right now.

#15 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:57 PM

View PostLucian Nostra, on 04 February 2014 - 07:39 PM, said:

EMBER

Really thought I'd see more posted like this.. What I've been running and I love it.

Think my best so far is 5 Kills 4 assists and 785 dmg

My build exactly. I'm with you, felt like it built itself.

#16 juxstapo

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts
  • Locationmy Tier is bigger than yours.

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:07 PM

Same here. Jenner with mGuns instead of SRMs.
Runs cool cool cool. My only "issue" with it is eghad the legs take damage. This is probably just my piss poor jump turn/side dodge technique. But I felt I got legged quicker than any other light I own... which is all of em. (That and the legs are 30% taller than the commando's might have something to do with it)

Cockpit looks cool as crud.. I like. Overall impression favorable. (Anyone else's opinion swayed based on how a cockpit looks?)

#17 Johnny05

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 57 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:08 PM

View PostTerciel1976, on 04 February 2014 - 09:57 PM, said:

My build exactly. I'm with you, felt like it built itself.

Same here. Can't say I feel a need to change it.

#18 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:11 PM

View PostJohnny05, on 04 February 2014 - 10:08 PM, said:

Same here. Can't say I feel a need to change it.

Could make a case for AMS, but I've been enjoying 5JJ. Wheeeeeee!! : D

#19 juxstapo

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts
  • Locationmy Tier is bigger than yours.

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:26 PM

kinda offtopic, but hey look! We can say Piss!

Oh! Smurfied up a bunch of ac/2 and 5 builds, but not serious enough to take teh time ot actually build 'em.

Edited by juxstapo, 04 February 2014 - 10:27 PM.

#20 Fang01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 993 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:15 PM

View Postjuxstapo, on 04 February 2014 - 10:07 PM, said:

Same here. Jenner with mGuns instead of SRMs.
Runs cool cool cool. My only "issue" with it is eghad the legs take damage. This is probably just my piss poor jump turn/side dodge technique. But I felt I got legged quicker than any other light I own... which is all of em. (That and the legs are 30% taller than the commando's might have something to do with it)

Cockpit looks cool as crud.. I like. Overall impression favorable. (Anyone else's opinion swayed based on how a cockpit looks?)

Mine sure is. Cockpit killed this one for me. I'll keep waiting for a spider hero or a venom

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users