56 replies to this topic

#21 NRP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 05 February 2014 - 07:08 AM

I'm just running the obvious max engine, 4 ML, 4 MG build so far. I've got all basics, except one or two. With 12 DHS, the heat is manageable, usually (do MGs generate more heat than they used to?).

It's really hard to tell without 2X efficiencies unlocked, but I don't think this thing will replace the Jenner. The Jenner feels much more nimble.

#22 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 05 February 2014 - 07:38 AM

View PostRickySpanish, on 04 February 2014 - 07:26 PM, said:

It's a beast, but not with medium lasers, that's just a poor mans Jenner. I'm running mine like this:
XL 265
Endo and Ferro
4 Machine guns with 1 ton of ammo (in the head!)
2 ER Large Lasers
1 Jump Jet

Maxed armour except -6 points in the head.

This thing rocks hard, and the jet lets you bring sniper weapons to an otherwise exclusively ECM affair. 650 damage and 4 kills is my best so far. Looking forward to the other variants too, none of which will ever see medium lasers on them!

Pretty sure you mean rich mans jenner. MC- not C bills

View PostNRP, on 05 February 2014 - 07:08 AM, said:

I'm just running the obvious max engine, 4 ML, 4 MG build so far. I've got all basics, except one or two. With 12 DHS, the heat is manageable, usually (do MGs generate more heat than they used to?).

It's really hard to tell without 2X efficiencies unlocked, but I don't think this thing will replace the Jenner. The Jenner feels much more nimble.

IT isnt mastered so duh?

#23 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:44 AM

By "poor man's Jenner" I meant a poor choice and yes as you insinuated, a waste of $15!

#24 Amsro

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,384 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:00 AM

View PostRickySpanish, on 05 February 2014 - 08:44 AM, said:

By "poor man's Jenner" I meant a poor choice and yes as you insinuated, a waste of $15!

And yet this mech melts Jenners, not everything is so cut and dry. !

Your Opinion is valid, but the Jenners cannot have the same setup as the Ember!

The Firestarter will rival the Jenner for sure! The Oxide and the Ember are not good indicators of a chassis.

#25 Amsro

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,384 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:03 AM

I've swapped the Flamers for Small Pulse Lasers, the crits are massive on this mech.!

Ember

#26 The Driver

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 43 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:24 AM

[smurfy]http://mwo.smurfy-ne...feedb4c642c6437[/smurfy]

thats what i run atm and i play it "backstabber" hit and run style or otherwise i stay near the herd.

4-5 kills per game, 400 ~ damage.

#27 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:34 AM

View PostAmsro, on 05 February 2014 - 09:00 AM, said:

And yet this mech melts Jenners, not everything is so cut and dry.

The Oxide and the Ember are not good indicators of a chassis.

It's funny, because an Oxide can melt an Ember too. Once those arms are gone, it's basically neutered.

Edited by NRP, 05 February 2014 - 09:35 AM.

#28 Wagonluvr

Rookie

• The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 1 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:42 AM

I'm just disappointed that they didn't go with the -C variant. (2 Missile Hardpoints would have been neat to play with).

#29 Amsro

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,384 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:02 AM

View PostNRP, on 05 February 2014 - 09:34 AM, said:

It's funny, because an Oxide can melt an Ember too. Once those arms are gone, it's basically neutered.

I would be lying if I haven't been exploiting the large amount of light mechs currently.

Oxide
Ember
Oxide
Ember
A1 Streak-a-pult
Ember

Thats the sum of my last 40-50 matches. :)

#30 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:10 AM

My money would be on the Oxide winning, at speed energy weapons will heat the Ember up pretty nicely, where as the Oxide can just keep moving and firing streaks non stop.

#31 Devil Fox

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationThe Fox Den

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:36 AM

View PostRickySpanish, on 05 February 2014 - 11:10 AM, said:

My money would be on the Oxide winning, at speed energy weapons will heat the Ember up pretty nicely, where as the Oxide can just keep moving and firing streaks non stop.

But that's where light mechs ain't meant to be solo fighters, their not even great in wolfpacks against good shot pilots. I run my light's as forward elements and always swing back towards covering fire, even calling out what I have on me for team-mates to obliterate, and like-wise they call out targets for me to kill to scare away.

I'm playing around with a build I cal the "Nipple Cripple"... kinda slow but hoping the Dual AC2 will provide some interesting battles.

#32 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:22 PM

View PostApostal, on 05 February 2014 - 11:36 AM, said:

But that's where light mechs ain't meant to be solo fighters, their not even great in wolfpacks against good shot pilots. I run my light's as forward elements and always swing back towards covering fire, even calling out what I have on me for team-mates to obliterate, and like-wise they call out targets for me to kill to scare away.

I'm playing around with a build I cal the "Nipple Cripple"... kinda slow but hoping the Dual AC2 will provide some interesting battles.

Well you can either play your light as a long range sniper, or as a hit and run back stabber. In either case your greatest threat is another light, since you can out run anything else. When the enemy light hunter(s) come a knocking, you're going to want to repay them in kind while running the hell away. In fights like these, the Oxide is pretty damn scary since you can't duke the missiles with anything other than hard cover, and it can keep up with and duke return fire from an energy boat.

#33 Yiazmat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 531 posts
  • LocationCentral CA

Posted 05 February 2014 - 06:46 PM

a dual ac shooter build would be hilarious to see. just make sure you stay at super long range and pray I don't find you XD

#34 Amsro

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,384 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:56 PM

View PostRickySpanish, on 05 February 2014 - 11:10 AM, said:

Hmm, I have both and have battled both, I've won both times. :ph34r:

The Ember can be VERY heat efficient. :ph34r: And much Dakka!

#35 Devil Fox

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationThe Fox Den

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:23 PM

View PostAmsro, on 05 February 2014 - 08:56 PM, said:

Hmm, I have both and have battled both, I've won both times. :ph34r:

The Ember can be VERY heat efficient. :ph34r: And much Dakka!

Yea last time I found an Oxide... he was in a lava flow overheating whilst 2 Firestarters just went to town with 4MG's a pop, forcing him to retreat and in doing so move across open ground for friendly fire to gut him.

View PostRickySpanish, on 05 February 2014 - 12:22 PM, said:

Well you can either play your light as a long range sniper, or as a hit and run back stabber. In either case your greatest threat is another light, since you can out run anything else. When the enemy light hunter(s) come a knocking, you're going to want to repay them in kind while running the hell away. In fights like these, the Oxide is pretty damn scary since you can't duke the missiles with anything other than hard cover, and it can keep up with and duke return fire from an energy boat.

You can try to hunt in an Oxide, my Raven's and Jenners all run 245's... their not speedy by any means but pack the punch both against light's and heavier elements. You would never run an oxide into an enemy pack likewise I wouldn't engage threats that can kill or leave me severely crippled (I learnt that from the Com-2D re-emergence, that whilst didn't kill me left me open all over).

A live light is a deadly light! :ph34r:

#36 Kyynele

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 973 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:59 AM

I initially tried the 4x ML + 4x MG + 295 XL + 6JJ build for about 8 matches, PUGging. I felt it was way too team-reliant.

Without efficiencies it isn't fast and nimble enough to outmaneuver good shooters, and while the typical 2x PPC + 2x UAC5 hit doesn't kill you right away, you will have exposed internals, and that's not good for a short range DPS light. The machine guns are pretty useless for hit and runs, unless the enemies have taken some damage and you get to blow up the internals. Again, if the rest of the team does nothing, you'd be much better off in a Jenner F or an ERLL 3L.

After dropping my W/L ratio down to 0.17 with the Ember (retaining over 1.0 KDR despite dying in practically every match was somewhat promising though,) I switched to the 2x ERLL + 4x MG + 255XL + 2 JJ. So far I've felt it's much more effective for actually winning matches, because you can deal worthwhile damage relatively safely even when the enemy team is deathblobbing and your own team isn't doing anything. While considerably more sluggish of course, it's still capable of making the kill and run when you spot an enemy near death. After switching to this build, I've done considerably more damage per match - often ranking in the top 3, got more kills and actually won a couple matches while at it. With full elites I expect it to be quite a pain in the behind for the enemy.

It's looking like the Firestarters will be a strong contender for a top tier light. It won't surpass the 3L because of no ECM, and I expect Jenners to stay just as competitive because of smaller profile and missile hardpoints if you want those. It's nice to have options. :ph34r:

#37 Mercules

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 5,136 posts
  • LocationPlymouth, MN

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:11 AM

View PostYiazmat, on 05 February 2014 - 06:46 PM, said:

a dual ac shooter build would be hilarious to see. just make sure you stay at super long range and pray I don't find you XD

I see how a 2 AC/2 one can be put together but it is light on ammo and slower than I would like it to be. Could make an interesting harasser but I can see other builds being much more useful in general.

Now you can actually put an AC 5 on it with some lasers and still be fast. That does give you a range boost but lowers your DPS.

#38 Yiazmat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 531 posts
  • LocationCentral CA

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:16 AM

Posted Image

So while I died to another Ember no less, while legged, this thing is wicked fun to roll with. Currently running this: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...41625c8f6847122
basic settup tbh. just a little lighter engine and AMS (which i find invaluable to lrms ans streaks)

This mech is badass

Edited by Yiazmat, 06 February 2014 - 11:24 AM.

#39 Devil Fox

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationThe Fox Den

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:34 AM

View PostMercules, on 06 February 2014 - 10:11 AM, said:

I see how a 2 AC/2 one can be put together but it is light on ammo and slower than I would like it to be. Could make an interesting harasser but I can see other builds being much more useful in general.

Now you can actually put an AC 5 on it with some lasers and still be fast. That does give you a range boost but lowers your DPS.

It's not too slow... under-armed after ammo is dry... 2 AC2, 4 ton ammo, 2 SL, a few JJ and a 200XL (armour is slightly shaved) and you have a mech capable of 450+ dmg moving at 97kph pre-tweak.

The best fun I had in a Firestarter was legging an unamoured Victor poptart that was twitch streaming whilst in the middle of his entire team, it made my night because of the bad ELO MM set-up of the game. I am thinking of reverting to builds similar to my light's with a PPC, some lasers and MG's. But I will see, it could be interesting.

#40 Airu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 201 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:42 PM

don't own ember, but when cbill ones get realesd I shall try these 2 builds ;)
AC10 4tons ammo, 2slas
FS9-H
8slas :(
FS9-K

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users