68 replies to this topic

#1 MadCat02

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 668 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 07:41 PM

Range modules are a cool idea

However.......

20 meters? Please . That will never make any difference escpecially if you keep adding on heat . Infact its a doubl-edged sword if you think about it .

20 Meters is about 0.20 more damage per Medium Laser considering that you not shooting below 270 meters .

Its just not worth the module slot . That tiny bit of damage is countered by a tiny bit of heat .

If you using 5 medium lasers at 270 meters its just gona add more heat and lower dps by 5% so whats the point?

Honestly the values should be doubled before i can consider using it over a sensor range or zoom .

Edited by MadCat02, 05 February 2014 - 06:31 AM.

#2 CheeseThief

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 580 posts
  • LocationBeyond the Black Stump

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:02 PM

I honestly think whoever balanced them was so worried about them being even slightly overpowered that they killed the idea before they had really started.

2m additional range for a flamer or 10m for an AC20 is pretty pointless. Increasing the AC20's range from 270 to 300 at level 2 would interest me, but not 270 to 280.8. 3million c-bills, 1100 GXP and a module slot for less than a 5% buff seems very pointless to me.

A minimum of 15m per level would pique my interest, so basically buff the weapons range by a single hex (30m) at level 2. 300m AC20's Medium lasers, 210m small lasers, etc, would be something I would invest in. An extra 30m of AMS range would make duel AMS mech exceptionally effective at fending off LRMs, but the current 8 meter boost just doesn't excite me.

Edited by CheeseThief, 04 February 2014 - 08:07 PM.

#3 Primetimex

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 353 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:03 PM

I'll stick to my PPC/AC5 combo thanks - PGI you can keep your modules!

#4 CheeseThief

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 580 posts
  • LocationBeyond the Black Stump

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:06 PM

But you don't understand! With one of these modules you could buff your AC5's range by 26m!

#5 Thanatos676

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 703 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:06 PM

Does no one think they might just be a starting point? That maybe PGI just wants data so they can refine things? Balancing things takes alot of effort and time to get right. Its a new system, give it time.

Note: i too have not bought these things yet....yet...

#6 Stormtempter

• PipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 53 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:27 PM

I've been questioning these skills as well. Its a good idea, but I think they got super scared of throwing whatever tenuous balance they have completely off kilter. As you say, the ranges aren't that good. For a Large laser, level two comes out to about a 5% increase. Thats something like 500 GXP, 3 million C-bills and a module slot taken, for 5% greater range.

5% should be the first tier, imo. The second could be 10% for a 15% total. 15% greater range would be worth the cost and module usage. This is the first implementation, so hopefully this will improve. I'll stick to actual modules until they do. I also hope that this concept will be expanded to other features of weapons.

A skill module for:

Optimized ammo (each ton has more)
Projectile accelerators/magnum rounds (projectile speed increased)
Integrated cooling vents (heat reduction)
Focal lenses (increased laser damage)
Overcharged capacitors (pulse length decrease)
Composite materials (reduced weight)
Targeting adjustors (increase/decrease missile arc)
AI assisted autoloaders (decreased recycle time)
Enhanced warheads (SRM splash damage increased)

The list can go on. Would add a huge range of dynamic and useful changes. Someone could make a mech with an enhanced range focus, whilst another opts instead for faster firing or lower heat creation. More lateral game play capability, though admittedly, would require a keener eye for balance, which hasn't been a strong point so far.

#7 Gekko01

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:02 PM

yea it's better than OMFG OP O P O P OPOPOPO!!!! Havent tried them yet, but yeah they seem pretty underwhelming stat wise. It might be good for some builds though and, i gues, thats what they intended.

Edited by Gekko01, 04 February 2014 - 09:03 PM.

#8 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:03 PM

Theyre taking the wrong approach with weapon modules

Instead of changing the numerical stats of the weapons, the modules should add unique abilities to the weapons.

For example the PPC weapon module could disengage the field inhibitor on the PPC allowing you to shoot it at less than 90m (but risk doing damage to yourself in the process)

#9 Roland

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,260 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:07 PM

The changes are generally within the guidelines of many games.. a few percentage here or there.

However, due to the messed up radar model, it's rare that folks are really that aware of the exact range of targets. Lots of times, you can't even lock a target to get information on it, even if staring at it, because of ECM.

The borked radar model in MWO makes precise range control much less of a skill than it was in MW4.

#10 Bhael Fire

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,002 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Outback wastes of planet Outreach.

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:38 PM

Honestly, the extra meters gained from these modules is not worth the extra heat.

I'd rather take the extra foot steps required to gain that distance than take a heat penalty.

#11 GoatHILL

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Formidable
  • The Formidable
  • 399 posts
  • LocationA dark corner

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:44 PM

I never thought this type of module was a good idea but if they are going to do it range was the about the worst thing to buff. This would have worked much better with things like (lower heat / longer recharge) (faster recharge / shorter range) ( more dmg / higher heat) the cost gain on range just isn't worth it without stupid increases.

#12 OneEyed Jack

• 2,500 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:04 PM

View PostGoatHILL, on 04 February 2014 - 10:44 PM, said:

I never thought this type of module was a good idea but if they are going to do it range was the about the worst thing to buff. This would have worked much better with things like (lower heat / longer recharge) (faster recharge / shorter range) ( more dmg / higher heat) the cost gain on range just isn't worth it without stupid increases.

Or, if you'd paid, attention you would know that they're planning to add modules for other weapon stats and this is just the first wave.

They've also mentioned the idea of changing the modules to have different categories (passive, skill, expendable, etc) with more total slots divided up between the categories, so "taking up a module slot" might not be such a big thing in the long run. If they don't do something along those lines, yeah, most weapon modules of any sort will probably be a waste of time. But there's a very fine line between useless and OMFG OP with something like this. That or total P2W, as far as new players without large banks of GXP are concerned.

#13 Asakara

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 977 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:12 PM

Levels 1 and 2 were introduced this patch. They plan to go to level 5 and possibly beyond.

http://mwomercs.com/...date-feb-32014/

#14 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:32 PM

View PostMadCat02, on 04 February 2014 - 07:41 PM, said:

Range modules are a cool idea

However.......

20 meters? Please . That will never make any difference escpecially if you keep adding on heat . Infact its a doubl-edged sword if you think about it .

If you using 5 medium lasers at 270 meters its just gona add more heat and lower dps by 5% so whats the point?

Honestly the values should be doubled before i can consider using it over a sensor range or zoom .

While the range bonus is miniscule, so is the extra heat. Unless t hey intended for these modules to have 10 levels in total, the values seem largely meaningless.

View PostRoland, on 04 February 2014 - 09:07 PM, said:

The changes are generally within the guidelines of many games.. a few percentage here or there.

That's an interesting point. But does it apply to range, specifically?
I think it's usually more a guideline for damage output, isn't it?

But if they think 5-10 % can really wreck balance... MW:O's balance is off by more than 5-10 % already! They should fix that first.

And most (but maybe not all) games I know tend to give you pure buffs, not add drawbacks on top of that.

Edited by MustrumRidcully, 04 February 2014 - 11:38 PM.

#15 GalaxyBluestar

• 3,748 posts
  • Location...

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:50 PM

just waiting for teir 5 to come out and suddenly it will be P2W OP rage fest.

#16 NextGame

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,071 posts
  • LocationHaggis Country

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:06 AM

I unlocked machine gun range tier 2 as they didn't seem to come with a drawback, and I was playing that new hero mech with 4mg, then I saw that it costs 3m cbills to equip it for an extra 10 metres or something and though "nah".

I'm sure this stuff will get tweaked as we go along as so many other modules have.

#17 Profiteer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:10 AM

They are so lame it hurts.

I upgraded my streaks.

They went from 270m to 276m!!!!

And I have to equip a module to even get that. WTF.

I won't be buying any more.

Let's see... I can have a strike that does up to 400 damage or... +6m range on my streaks. LOL.

If you are going to make us equip modules for all the weapon upgrades I guess you are planning, then we need 3+ extra module slots.

#18 Frankdark

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:23 AM

The Range increse would be OK, IF it has NO DOWNSIDE

Heat is the biggest Problem in the Game.
I woul rather give UP 1/2 of my Large Laser Range if the heat is reduced to 2/3
as incresing it´s heat.

There are way better Mechanics than just increse Range.

Sorry the guy who did sayed lets increse range for heat, shoot only programming code and don´t bring more Ideas.

Just for Stat Changer.

Laser Increse or Decrese of Beam Duration.
Ultra AC reduce Chaming for slower reload
PPC´s can fire under 90m ( but do damage from 10%-100% from 0-90 )

#19 mike29tw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:06 AM

Why is there downside to the range increase anyway? none of the other modules have downsides. Arty, aristrike, coolshots are modules that can aid you directly in combat and can translate into pure damage without downsides. Why would I want a little bit more range with extra heat?

#20 MadCat02

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 668 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:14 AM

View Postmike29tw, on 05 February 2014 - 04:06 AM, said:

Why is there downside to the range increase anyway? none of the other modules have downsides. Arty, aristrike, coolshots are modules that can aid you directly in combat and can translate into pure damage without downsides. Why would I want a little bit more range with extra heat?

Downside of Airstrike is 40% of your CB earnings

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users