What Griffin Builds Worked For You?

52 replies to this topic

#21 wintersborn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 06:55 PM

Has anyone had good luck with the GRF-3M over the KTO-18 as a Streak boat?

Like this:
GRF-3M

vs

KTO-18

Anyone run both?

They stack like this:
Armor: (Same 352)
Firepower: (KTO 30 vs GRF 25)
DPS: (KTO 4.20 vs GRF 4.11)
Cooling efficiency: (KTO 50 vs GRF 59)
Speed: (Same 106-116kph)
Streak Ammo: (KTO 500 vs GRF 600)

The Griffin has a Jump jet and can add a second in exchange for less ammo as well as having 30 degrees more torso twist. Are there any other hit box etc. advantages that would make the KTO-18 a better choice than the GRF-3M?

Thanks.

Edited by wintersborn, 08 March 2014 - 06:59 PM.

#22 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 08 March 2014 - 09:07 PM

@Wintersborn

Both those builds have problems. The Kintaro is going to run too hot and the Griffin barely has any jump power. I suggest an engine smaller than 360.

Also five tons is quite a lot of ammo, let alone six tons.

Here is my Kintaro tonight.

Posted Image

Edited by Spheroid, 08 March 2014 - 09:47 PM.

#23 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 10:20 PM

These two.
1N

3M

But the last one I can't find anything that works.

#24 Thrudvangar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 646 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 05:53 AM

View PostNRP, on 15 February 2014 - 06:53 PM, said:

None really. The Griffin isn't that good of a mech imo.

not a good mech? hmmmm

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Enzlaved, 09 March 2014 - 05:53 AM.

#25 Xeno Phalcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 09 March 2014 - 07:24 AM

GRF-3M

teetering between the 3M and 1S at the moment so havent gotten around to giving them custom names, originally this 3M used a ML and MPL in place of the ERLL for supperior infighting/lightcrushing capabilities but I wanted the ability to poke at far enemies in long range engagements and annoy ERLL ravens. Downside of course is that arm comes off very easy even with the armor I have on it but it serves its purpose.

#26 wintersborn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 05:20 PM

Spheroid, The KTO has a 50% cooling efficiency, that is too hot? What percentage do you run and are you running your Streaks in a Alpha or Chain fire configuration?

I ran that KTO build and found that with all the AMS I needed all the ammo I could carry as well as the speed of the 360 to catch the 160+ lights. A pack of ECM Spiders or twin AMS Fire Starters still ruined my day but it seemed very effective vs lights. I did not keep the chassis due to it being too big a target for all the other big mechs.

The griffin like I said could swap a ton of ammo for a second Jump jet and that should be sufficient for maneuvering. I have found with CAT's that you can jump too far/high and prevent Streaks from having enough time to get a lock or track a circle jerking light. I mainly use them to twist in the air and spread damage in addition to getting over some things.

I would have loved to see the X-5 with a just enough room/tubes to run 3 Streak 2's in each torso and a TAG in the head but ;)

#27 That Dawg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 04:37 AM

View PostXeno Phalcon, on 09 March 2014 - 07:24 AM, said:

GRF-3M

teetering between the 3M and 1S at the moment so havent gotten around to giving them custom names, originally this 3M used a ML and MPL in place of the ERLL for supperior infighting/lightcrushing capabilities but I wanted the ability to poke at far enemies in long range engagements and annoy ERLL ravens. Downside of course is that arm comes off very easy even with the armor I have on it but it serves its purpose.

just my .02
lose some jets, go dual lasers (I lose ONE every other battle) and get MORE streak ammo, I run out of 3 tons perhaps once in 10 battles and come soooooooo close in 5 in 10

#28 Xeno Phalcon

• Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 10 March 2014 - 11:36 AM

View PostThatDawg, on 10 March 2014 - 04:37 AM, said:

just my .02
lose some jets, go dual lasers (I lose ONE every other battle) and get MORE streak ammo, I run out of 3 tons perhaps once in 10 battles and come soooooooo close in 5 in 10

Iv yet to actually have ammo issues even sense I downgraded from 4 tons to 3 tons, 6 JJ is non negotiable however I spend alot of my time jumping and every meter counts so its important to my playstyle.

#29 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 17 March 2014 - 08:37 PM

After much tinkering, my 1S LRM support have been changed to mix range support.
GRF-1S
The LRM 15 have been downgrade to LRM5, and ammo reduce to just 3t. Still good for 36 shots.
TAG and 1 ML have been replace with a single PPC.
Number of JJ have been increase to 3 for more mobility and part time PPC poptarting or hopLurming.
An extra DHS have been added to deal with the extra heat of the PPC.

MY 1S is now more "pro-active" on in the match.
While waiting around to get LRM lock, I can start lighting up target with the PPC.
LRM5+10 provide shorter cooldown and tighter grouping without investing on Artemis upgrade.
Remove the TAG due to it's low mount on the arm and the position of LRM launchers on opposite side of the body, means I need to expose the whole mech to use them. The PPC give me peek-shot ability without exposing my full boy instead.
Finally, the 3 backup ML have been reduce to just 2ML.

Now it is alot more flexible and can work reasonably well in any range.
2 ML + JJs for brawling range, all weapon at mid range and PPC + LRM at long range.

#30 RogerSimmons

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 06:41 AM

ive had some good luck with the 1N..kinda a long range with short capable..

1x LRM5
2x Streak SRM2
1x ER Large
2x MPL
1x AMS

upgraded to double heats, added a BAP, max armor in the upper half

#31 Midniteguard

• Pip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 07:41 AM

I have had fun with these three builds;

GRF-1N http://mwo.smurfy-ne...da6ccf761ac8e58

GRF-1S http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f3b5625a7976b9c

GRF-3M http://mwo.smurfy-ne...5c6072c81acd9db

#32 BaconCouch

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 163 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 06:14 AM

The Griffon, in my opinion is the second best medium in the game behind the Shadowhawk, and there is only a small difference.
My Griffin 1S is a strong light killer and mobile striker. Its also tough as nails.
GRF-1S

Two ER larges for poke, two ml's to keep ghost heat from being an issue, Jump Jets, running nearly 90kph before tweak, and a good shield arm.
The Griffon has AWESOME hitboxes
GRF-1S

#33 HurricaneZ

• PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 07:49 PM

In comparing the , the shadow hawk and griffin, there is only 2 things that the griffin can do better, and that's the LRM 15, 10 and 5 build with a TAG in the arm as Victor Morson suggests in the beginning of the post.
Both the GRF 3M (2E and 4M) and 1N (3E and 3M) can do this. Any other build with these 2 models would In comparison to the SHD 2D2, (2E and 4M) be weaker,
The other thing the GRF can do better is the 4 x SRM6 or 3xSRM6 with Artemis. both of which the SHD can't do.

But if you're going to use energy and SSRMs, why use the GRF 3M if the SHD 2D2 can do it better? Move that 1E from the torso to the left arm for better response and aiming. Plus the SHD has the optional 1B to use too. Now the GRF 1N isn't bad, trade in 1M for 1E in the arm and you can do a lot of focus chain firing, Toss in 4 extra J jets and the GRF 1N and start to outclass the SHD 2D2. but al the firepower in one arm is risky.

Personally I like the SHD 2D2 better (2xML and 4xSSRM2 with 350XL 3JJ)
but the GRF 1N can do it too (3xML, 3xSSRM2 with more maneuverability but lose that arm and its game over man)
so, I use the GRF 1N as my dedicated LRM boat (1 x LRM15, 1 x LRM10 and 1xLRM5 TAG 280XL)
If I had to pick between the 2 and had only 1 bay left.. hmm. Well, I did buy the pattern already...

#34 Elyam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 538 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:48 PM

For the agile disruptor role I run a GRF-1N with 275XL, 7 jets, nearly full armor, Endo, AMS, DHS, BAP, RA - ERPPC and (2) MLAS, RT - LRM-10 Artemis and (2) SSRM-2

Heat isn't a problem with judicious use of the particle cannon in the close ranges. It's one of the most successful designs I've run with during the whole time of MWO. (and very happy I am with that since being a TT GRF pilot since the start of BT).

#35 Marauder3D

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 744 posts
  • LocationHuntress

Posted 23 April 2014 - 07:05 PM

Just thought I'd check back in on this thread now that I've mastered my Griffons and enjoyed them.

I ended up setting on the 1N as my main Griffin, but when once and I while I use the 3M as well. I run them with similar but not identical loadouts, but the 3M has that LT energy mount that makes peeking over ridges and delivering an ER PPC oh so satisfying.

GRF-1N

GRF-3M

The 300 XL engine seems to suit me very well with this mech, as 97 KPH with speed tweak makes me just fast enough to get places but not so fast I get myself into trouble. My K/D ratio is now a little better in the Griffon than the Shadow Hawk, and I enjoy not carrying ammo for my main weapon (PPC or ER PPC depending on build).

Overall great mech. Good hit boxes, crazy good torso twist and good loadouts. Now if the Wolverine weren't so damn chunky I could finish the last of my Overlord/Sabre mechs. :unsure:

Cheers all!

Edited by Marauder3D, 24 April 2014 - 07:16 AM.

#36 stocky0904

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 26 April 2014 - 11:35 AM

My favourite Griffin build:

GRF-1N (Master):

315xl, 5x JJ, 3x LRM5+A, 3x ML, 7t Ammo

Best at ranges about 200-500m. It is very fast (102 kph) and has ammo for minutes of chainfire. 300-600 dmg and 1-4 kills per match.

#37 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 01:34 PM

Better than starting a new thread.

Griffin Feedback

After getting past Elite, I am confident on providing some Griffin feedback.

Generic Feedback - If you are not running max JJs you are missing out. My first use of a JJ Mech, I have found two techniques that are very effective in addition to having all 7JJs allows exceptional maneuvering over various terrain both climbing some high places and actually crossing gaps without hitting lower terrain. An example of the second, I discovered with 7JJs, I can go on the Canyon map and cross most canyons using JJs and never drop into the canyon, similar can be done on other maps including crossing building roofs. Once while fighting a Light in a city area, I noticed it ran around buildings to keep trying to hit my back, I was able to use my 7JJ to get on a building and cut off its circle attempt.

Technique #1 - Previously, I had encounters with Quickdraws where, in close combat, I noticed they used JJs to avoid getting shot. I tried the same with 7JJ Griffins and found this does allow a pilot to stay alive longer drawing out a fight thus increasing not only the pilot's chance of survival but also allowing time for allies to arrive and assist and tying up enemies. This is also useful when combined with Technique #2.

Technique #2 - I would make runs past enemies shooting them and torso twisting, Griffins have one of the best torso twist ranges in game. As I am moving away but facing back to them, I would jump and while going up, hit the F key. While ascending, my legs turn to match my torso facing so when I land, I have done a 130 degree turn. This maneuver both allows partial avoidance of enemy weapons and sets me up for another pass. I call this Jump Turning.

1N - I have run 3 different builds with this.
First - LPL, 2ML, 3Streaks, 300XL, 7JJ
Second - PPC, 2ML, LRM10, 2Streaks, 275XL, 7JJ
Third - LL (tried ERLL), 2ML, 3SRM6, 275XL, 7JJ

I prefer the speed of a 275 more because it is the same as running a 250 on a Hunchback and I like that. Provides enough speed and turn speed for me to handle. 300 is OK.

Of the 3 current variants, the 1N seems to lose the Right Arm most. More on this in the 1S section but this affected my playstyle and builds.

I know people who run LRM boat versions, I already had that in the 1S, more on that there. I think between the 2 the 1N would be too vulnerable as a LRM boat using my preferred tactics. It is better with something like the First or Third versions I tried.

First version was OK, I had some losses and waiting for Streak lock sometimes is a problem for me. It does play somewhat similar to the Third version. Difference is this one was designed with more close damage through LPL + 2ML and anti-light work through Streaks.

Second version, biggest problem was getting into position for sniping. Using 1PPC is different than 2 that I did on the AWS-8Q with success. Had a bit of a problem using 4 different weapon types.

Third, similar to the First. Difference is either LL/ERLL can be used for medium range and further sniping plus SRM18 provides more punch for kill shots and when the RA is lost.

I prefer the First and Third that share some qualities. There are:
- Initially focus on using the 3 Energy points at all ranges. This is to partially manage heat (I normally run cooler builds) and make most use of RA before it goes away, the 1N seems to lose the RA most.
- Streaks allow for anti-Light work or used little except as support when an enemy is near dead. Only when the RA is gone do they become a main weapon.
- SRM18 initially is saved for killshots, with recent changes improving SRMs, I have found even causing Ghost Heat an Alpha of SRM18 is manageable and makes an effective killshot weapon while the RA still exists. Once the RA is gone, the SRM18 becomes the main weapon and protection.

1S - Only tried one effective build, a modified version of the HBK-4J Missle boat with 2ALRM10s, 3ML, TAG, 275XL, only missing a BAP. Usually provides consistent output in damage, kills and teamwork used as I do, typically getting to mid-range (400-750 meters) using TAG to increase Missile damage. 3ML allows decent close range protection for either fighting or keeping enemies busy until reaching allies. Uses 900 missiles, I do not understand why people run more than 1080 on any LRM boat given how effective this build and my HBK-4J have been. For some unknown reason, the 1S loses the RA less, probably partially due to using this build at mid-range but even when I get in close range fights, still the RA survives longer than on a 1N. I find this odd because a 1S losing the RA in any build would have fewer torso weapons to fight with than a 1N so it makes more sense to kill the 1S RA.

3M - Only tried one build then a slight modification. First was 2MPL, 4Streaks, 300XL. Since it was only useful close up, this meant in the early game either waiting while sniping/LRM fire happened or daring to venture close to fresh enemies and risk serious damage/death. Not liking this, I switched to a 275XL and changed 1Streak for 1LRM10. Now I had the LRM10 for the early game combined with ally attacks while keeping most of the close range threat. Actually finished one match as the last one standing with 2 seconds left to time out!

Overall, Griffins have been a learning experience being my first true JJ Mech bought compared to the Awesomes and Hunchbacks I was used to running, learning how to use JJs and making best use of the Griffin's RA disadvantage on 2 of the variants. They should have at least 1 long range weapon if not used as a LRM boat and best to have some short range torso firepower if the RA goes especially on the 1N and 1S, the 3M suffers the RA loss far less perhaps making it the best LRM boat of the three.

#38 RiotHero

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 311 posts
  • LocationDetroit

Posted 04 May 2014 - 08:01 PM

View PostRouken, on 15 February 2014 - 11:25 AM, said:

I've had pretty decent success with this build:

GRF-1N

It works on both the 1N and 3M. You can switch out the streaks for LRMs if you like but then you will have trouble with harassing lights and it makes the build run a lot hotter at range. Torso armor has not been adjusted since thats usually a matter of personal taste.

A version of this^ is my favorite build and favorite Griff by far. PPC's and streaks work so well together. I sometimes think people forget that when you nail a ecm mech with a PPC you get an instant lock for your streaks. I've killed so many light mechs like that it's not even funny. Even Cicadas look worried because they normally only have the 2xppc's and I have JJ"s and 3streaks to back it up.

Two recent games with it:

Spoiler

Spoiler

My M uses the basic 4xSSRM, 2LL, BAP/
It's very easy to use and to rank with this build

My S is strictly a support mech. It has 1xLRM20A,2xERLL,Tag,
This build is pretty straight forward but, surprisingly effective.
You end up with a 40dmg long range attack and have even have
the two ERLL'S to keep lights at bay. Since this isn't a boat you
should only be using the LRM's LOS and with tag for best results.

If I had to get rid of one it would probably be the S, I love the N and
I would keep the M around just because I don't run streaks on my
Shadowhawk. I don't know how people say it's a bad mech though.
The thing just takes for ever to kill. It lasts longer than these stupid
thuds I've been grinding since I got the free one. It seems that some
get tunnel vision and forget about the good aspect of having all the
energy in on arm, you can use that gigantic empty arm as a shield
for your whole upper torso and not worry about losing anything. It's
almost as wide as the body.

#39 N a p e s

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 05 May 2014 - 07:12 AM

View PostMerchant, on 04 May 2014 - 01:34 PM, said:

- SRM18 initially is saved for killshots, with recent changes improving SRMs, I have found even causing Ghost Heat an Alpha of SRM18 is manageable and makes an effective killshot weapon while the RA still exists. Once the RA is gone, the SRM18 becomes the main weapon and protection.

3xSRM6 does not actually trigger any additional ghost heat penalty, so your SRM18 is actually costing you a total of 12 heat as it should be.

Strangely 4xSRM4 (or SRM16) will trigger the effects of ghost heat. An SRM16 composed of 2xSRM6 and 1xSRM4 will not trigger the ghost het.

This table from smurfy's is probably the best reference for anything related to GH.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...eapon_heatscale

Now on topic, I'm a huge fan of the Griffin and all three of them are in my regular play rotation though the 1N is my preferred ride out of the 3 variants.

After trying many, many builds with it I've settled back into my original build which I named "The Faceless"

The dual arm mounted LLas offer plenty of punch and overall versatility and they serve as the main weapons group on the build. The 3xSRM4 are my finisher weapon when I get into range and I need a big hit to take out an enemy and they do reasonably well in this role. The single MLas comes into play either when I need a little extra push from the lasers or when I'm riding the heat limit and just need to continue dealing some damage.

I would like to fit a few more JJs and really let this mech fly but its already hot enough as is that I'm not willing to sacrifice a DHS for the jets.

#40 Myke Pantera

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 836 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 05 May 2014 - 08:22 AM

View PostInflatable Fish, on 15 February 2014 - 03:42 PM, said:

GRF-1N

awesome fire support build, I've had plenty fun and success running it.

I pretty much run the same build.

280XL, LRM20+A, LRM10+A, 2ML, TAG, 2JJ. GRF-1N

Only difference is i run 2JJ at the expense of some armor on the left arm and legs.

I barely hit above 600dmg, but also barely below 350dmg so i guess it's alright. I'll probably do the same with the 1S and sell it once basiced. I prefer to have TAG and LRM on the same side, and i can go for 3xLRM10+A if i feel like it, which i can't on the 1S. Looking forward to the 3M though =)

Edited by Myke Pantera, 05 May 2014 - 08:23 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users