"community Cockpit Items" A Total Crock?

52 replies to this topic

#1 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 18 February 2014 - 06:27 PM

so......

Just gotta vent my disappointment about the "Community Cockpit Items".

perhaps there are more to come, and we did sign away any rights to our ideas. That said, essentially NONE of the featured items were designed by the "Winners". And the closest as far as I can tell, is the "PUG IN HELMET", which while cute, is NOT
Posted Image

If that is supposed to be mine, I am very saddened. Yes some of it is ego, but part of winning is the bragging rights, the ability to say, "Hey my idea, no matter how minor, made it into the game". But How does one take a Urbanmech riding a Pug and get a "Helmet Wearing Pug"? That is like contributing a red corvette and the modelers adding a pink VW instead.

I'm even a little concerned that they won't injec the "winners" ideas at all, but just keep farming the losers, to minimize any "pay outs" they would need do. (sorry for sounding distrustful)

As much a concern to me, is that folks like Pyrrho, who contributed the Oscillating Fan, for instance, see their idea in, but have to pay for it. I think it would be a grand gesture from PGI to inject the item into the designers accounts. Not the "entire" winners package, mind you, just their idea. I think a little thing like that, and an email from the mods, would actually make the people on here more likely to spend knowing that PGI really does reciprocate the support from the community.

Anyhow, would just love to hear from the Mods or Devs to know what is going on. The contest was fun, but I think any artist will agree that it's not too much to expect the "items" to be at least a reasonable facsimile of the idea contributed.

Also if you agree with me, please, contact support and let them know. Thanks guys, rant over!

And please hit LIKE on this post if you agree!

#2 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 06:32 PM

got a reply from Russ here on twitter
https://twitter.com/...965432319574017

So, we will see. The goal isn't to make a stink, just to see what the plan is. It was still a fun contest, but I think knowing what's up, and seeing our stuff come out would go a lONG way to making people even more into future contests and stuff.

Anyhow, thanks to Russ for the quick reply!

#3 Carrioncrows

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 06:35 PM

Disappointed? Sure.

I suppose I should be happy mine didn't show up as a Jabba the hut riding a broom.

Then again these awards are bugeted and taking time away from the modelers from working on clan stuff, so I could totally see a developer alloting time as he is working down the list

1. too much time - ship
2. too much time - skip
3. We can do it but simply
4. too much time - skip
5. too much time - skip

Lets just grab this, this, and this.

I guess I can't fault them for it. The contest was popularity with no guarantee that it would make it into the game, I am just a little saddened that they it didn't feel like they put a fraction as much time and effort making it as we did creating it.

#4 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 06:41 PM

View PostCarrioncrows, on 18 February 2014 - 06:35 PM, said:

Disappointed? Sure.

I suppose I should be happy mine didn't show up as a Jabba the hut riding a broom.

Then again these awards are bugeted and taking time away from the modelers from working on clan stuff, so I could totally see a developer alloting time as he is working down the list

1. too much time - ship
2. too much time - skip
3. We can do it but simply
4. too much time - skip
5. too much time - skip

Lets just grab this, this, and this.

I guess I can't fault them for it. The contest was popularity with no guarantee that it would make it into the game, I am just a little saddened that they it didn't feel like they put a fraction as much time and effort making it as we did creating it.

all very true and good points, and why I am disappointed atm, not raging. There we plenty of caveats. At the end of the day, If this is what it is, it's still OK, just don't represent it as the "Community Choice" picks, and if the "winners" can't be made for various reasons, just tell us.

#5 Ironhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,333 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 18 February 2014 - 06:58 PM

My name is Ironhawk and IMHO two principles should transpire here: 1) community contributors like you and I should encourage PGI to put their art in-game with appropriate credits and 2) PGI should respect and reflect the ideas and the nature of the work from the community contributors that are adding to the loyalty of BT and MW fans in the MW:O game.

My two cents. And yes, to sum it all up, I do understand your position, Bishop Steiner.

IH out.

#6 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:05 PM

View PostIronhawk, on 18 February 2014 - 06:58 PM, said:

My name is Ironhawk and IMHO two principles should transpire here: 1) community contributors like you and I should encourage PGI to put their art in-game with appropriate credits and 2) PGI should respect and reflect the ideas and the nature of the work from the community contributors that are adding to the loyalty of BT and MW fans in the MW:O game.

My two cents. And yes, to sum it all up, I do understand your position, Bishop Steiner.

IH out.

Thanks IH. Glad to hear form one of the more respected voices in our art community.

#7 BFett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts
  • LocationA galaxy far far away...

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:07 PM

I would like the developers to ask the community what features the they would like to see in the game. Then I'd like the developers to create a list of the items and let the community priorities which features get worked on next via a poll.

#8 Valcrow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 19 February 2014 - 12:32 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 18 February 2014 - 06:27 PM, said:

As much a concern to me, is that folks like Pyrrho, who contributed the Oscillating Fan, for instance, see their idea in, but have to pay for it.

Wait, really?? I had the understanding that materialized ideas would be free for the person suggesting it. It would be pretty low to go back on that promise... That's the absolute minimum that they could do.

In terms of how your concept has been translated, I totally agree with you, the worst thing for artists is misrepresentation of their ideas or work, and if the Pug is really how they're implementing your idea then that's a gross mutilation of the concept. I wouldn't know what's worse, if they put your name to the suggestion and gave you one, or if they didn't give you any recognition. Plus how hard is it to put an urbanmech on a Pug? the hardest part is the dog!

Speaking of names... If it's 'community suggested' why don't we have the member names attached to the items? Credit where credit is due please...

This whole thing just feels lazy. Not as in lazy artists, but the selection of items is literally the easiest to model ideas from the community thread, minus the pug. You could get half those items on turbo squid for less than the cost of equivalent MC. Good business decision I guess, in a bad taste in your mouth kinda way.

#9 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 04:07 AM

View PostValcrow, on 19 February 2014 - 12:32 AM, said:

Wait, really?? I had the understanding that materialized ideas would be free for the person suggesting it. It would be pretty low to go back on that promise... That's the absolute minimum that they could do.

In terms of how your concept has been translated, I totally agree with you, the worst thing for artists is misrepresentation of their ideas or work, and if the Pug is really how they're implementing your idea then that's a gross mutilation of the concept. I wouldn't know what's worse, if they put your name to the suggestion and gave you one, or if they didn't give you any recognition. Plus how hard is it to put an urbanmech on a Pug? the hardest part is the dog!

Speaking of names... If it's 'community suggested' why don't we have the member names attached to the items? Credit where credit is due please...

This whole thing just feels lazy. Not as in lazy artists, but the selection of items is literally the easiest to model ideas from the community thread, minus the pug. You could get half those items on turbo squid for less than the cost of equivalent MC. Good business decision I guess, in a bad taste in your mouth kinda way.

Well, only the winners were promised a free injection, but TBH, most of us didn't expect them to be using the "losers" stuff for content, since it was the Dev who chose the winners, under the assumption that the winners were chosen specifically because of their translatability. A lot of assumptions on our part, and not anything PGI is culpable for. More to me, upon seeing that about 6 of the 7 items were from "losing" suggestions, it feels like the "winners" got jobbed...and the "losers" IDK, should get their own ideas injected, if they make the game, anyhow. But that is my opinion and not one of the conditions of the contest.

And yeah, I got the PUG injected into my account, along with the "Classy Urbie" I requested as my "door prize". So that confirms that is indeed "my" Pug, and yet it in no way resembles my entry, which has me, and my mates at HARDCorps and other spots unhappy. Pretty much all my friends were going to buy the PugLife statue if it made it, and now pretty much none of them will touch what is in game for any reason, because they feel I was dissed.

So, yeah, there it is.

#10 Mighty Spike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,593 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationHoly Beer City of Munich

Posted 19 February 2014 - 04:40 AM

Same here Bishop. Wanted to buy YOUR Design imediatly...but not this one..

Edited by Mighty Spike, 19 February 2014 - 04:44 AM.

#11 Flying Judgement

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 475 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 19 February 2014 - 05:52 AM

thx for informing us it is actually a big deal. Now its just cockpit item but latter they could make more serious contest like weapon cosmetics or who knows one day a Map contest.
But if they wouldn't use the winners chosen by the community like now waoo what ? or make something different out of it.
its defeats the purpose of the contest.

The whole contest was a bit fishy from the start no conditions u just write 8 word next to each other and u already monetized all of those ideas.
it was messy i guess it was the firs contest what they ever done. So im not to harsh on them i really dont want to scare them.

I like to see more contests but these issues need to be addressed or make the contest more specific, or the entry should be in a ready to go in the cockpit format. or give a polygon restrictions. at least draw ur idea probably Nvidia made his own fairy we can do the same
or break the contest in to steps Like the Marauder contest have been done they could even give the job to the volunteer moderators

1st drawing contest
2nd the winners earn the right to make the pixel bubblehead themselves with the help of other moders.
this contest is the first step to make modding possible in this game.

so pls have a nice long chat about it everyone can win on this.

#12 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 03:00 PM

View PostMighty Spike, on 19 February 2014 - 04:40 AM, said:

Same here Bishop. Wanted to buy YOUR Design imediatly...but not this one..

Thanks Spike, I appreciate that a lot!

#13 Mighty Spike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,593 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationHoly Beer City of Munich

Posted 19 February 2014 - 03:01 PM

:(

#14 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 03:02 PM

View PostFlying Judgement, on 19 February 2014 - 05:52 AM, said:

thx for informing us it is actually a big deal. Now its just cockpit item but latter they could make more serious contest like weapon cosmetics or who knows one day a Map contest.
But if they wouldn't use the winners chosen by the community like now waoo what ? or make something different out of it.
its defeats the purpose of the contest.

The whole contest was a bit fishy from the start no conditions u just write 8 word next to each other and u already monetized all of those ideas.
it was messy i guess it was the firs contest what they ever done. So im not to harsh on them i really dont want to scare them.

I like to see more contests but these issues need to be addressed or make the contest more specific, or the entry should be in a ready to go in the cockpit format. or give a polygon restrictions. at least draw ur idea probably Nvidia made his own fairy we can do the same
or break the contest in to steps Like the Marauder contest have been done they could even give the job to the volunteer moderators

1st drawing contest
2nd the winners earn the right to make the pixel bubblehead themselves with the help of other moders.
this contest is the first step to make modding possible in this game.

so pls have a nice long chat about it everyone can win on this.

Yeah, agreed. I don't want to "bite the hand that feeds" as it were. I actually want to see more contests and such like this one, but I would like to see it as you say more clearly laid out. In this last PGI did no wrong, please don't misunderstand, they have done everything within the rules and such given, but so much was left unsaid that it likely led to unreasonable hopes on some of our parts.

#15 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 19 February 2014 - 04:02 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 19 February 2014 - 03:02 PM, said:

......but so much was left unsaid..........

Anyone take the class in school that had you write instructions on how to make a sandwich?
Takes a lot more to make them not-misunderstandable than most people would care to realize. :(

I applaud Bishop's attitude though (not sure I would be so open myself right now)
If I had the money, there would be several pugs sitting in my mechs - wish they coulda had Urbies riding them, but I think I can see part of why they didn't.

o7

#16 Nathan Foxbane

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,984 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 07:53 PM

I share your disappointment with them not going for your concept completely (or using Carrioncrows' at all). I give the benefit of the doubt there on the time to make those and get them all in on time for one patch.

Did you at least get a free Pug, Bishop? It was one of the winners rewards that they got the item derived from their concept injected into their account.

Edit: Holy crap there is a fan in my inventory and it looks amazing! Joy! Rapture! I just wish I could read the text on the plaque. "Air Flow ????" This does confuse me as I am not one of the winning entrants, and I was actually the third to suggest it (unless they dug up that really ancient post of mine and I was not the first there either). Not going to complain, I just think it is odd.

Edited by Nathan Foxbane, 19 February 2014 - 08:06 PM.

#17 GalaxyBluestar

• 3,748 posts
  • Location...

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:05 AM

i'm particularly saddened that niether the urbie or world's greatest pug jumper was featured. instead an helmet which is overbearing on the pug appeard. if the pug was missing either the urbie or the jumper but had one of those items it would be okay. but to miss both and add something that was never suggested and proberbly wouldn't have recieved as many votes for it is just rude and pointless. why pgi, why is it every time when a good idea comes along you just HAVE to change it and screw it!? really wanted a dumb dog with world's greatest written on it , it had lols riding for it, now it's just a weird bit of ugh?

i feel sorry for you bishop, and CC is here, they screwed his save the awesome through hitboxes plan too.

Edited by GalaxyBluestar, 20 February 2014 - 03:08 AM.

#18 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:18 AM

View PostNathan Foxbane, on 19 February 2014 - 07:53 PM, said:

I share your disappointment with them not going for your concept completely (or using Carrioncrows' at all). I give the benefit of the doubt there on the time to make those and get them all in on time for one patch.

Did you at least get a free Pug, Bishop? It was one of the winners rewards that they got the item derived from their concept injected into their account.

Edit: Holy crap there is a fan in my inventory and it looks amazing! Joy! Rapture! I just wish I could read the text on the plaque. "Air Flow ????" This does confuse me as I am not one of the winning entrants, and I was actually the third to suggest it (unless they dug up that really ancient post of mine and I was not the first there either). Not going to complain, I just think it is odd.

Well, if they are infusing existing ideas into the accounts of those who suggested them, I am very happy to hear that. I emailed Support at PGI and asked several other people to do the same requesting that specifically on Tuesday. IDK if it was directly related, or if they had already injected them, but even though I am a bit disappointed not to have the "World's Greatest" PUG, if they did that, good jog PGI!

And yeah, I got "my" PUG injected, but it ain't the "Worlds Greatest". :o

View PostGalaxyBluestar, on 20 February 2014 - 03:05 AM, said:

i'm particularly saddened that niether the urbie or world's greatest pug jumper was featured. instead an helmet which is overbearing on the pug appeard. if the pug was missing either the urbie or the jumper but had one of those items it would be okay. but to miss both and add something that was never suggested and proberbly wouldn't have recieved as many votes for it is just rude and pointless. why pgi, why is it every time when a good idea comes along you just HAVE to change it and screw it!? really wanted a dumb dog with world's greatest written on it , it had lols riding for it, now it's just a weird bit of ugh?

i feel sorry for you bishop, and CC is here, they screwed his save the awesome through hitboxes plan too.

Yeah. Thanks man. A little bummed as those were the two features that I felt "made" PUGLife work. Much as I love the Urbie, I would be satisfied simply by NOT having the helmet, and having the shirt with World's Greatest on it.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 20 February 2014 - 05:19 AM.

#19 CrazyWorm9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 267 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:47 AM

i got the disco ball injected to my account. and im sure i wasnt the only one to suggest it but im thinking they gave me it becouse i had a accurate visual. im sure if i remember your post from the contest right you had the pug suggestion might had to been tweaked and yes im very surprised as you to see me a "LOSER' of said contest get 1 of my many items added but they realy didnt say they wasnt adding more items in they just said some of the community items just because its not in now dosnt mean it wont some things take time

edit: after looking back at the contest post i read this

**Disclaimer** It is entirely possible that some of these winning entries can not be made, for various reasons: Difficult to code, retrofitting the cockpits, etc...

However, as this was a contest for ideas, we picked the ones that were conceptually excellent!

There were also many duplicate entries. We're still figuring out something to do with these, as they are obviously popular choices. I've compiled a list, with data and charts. Woo!

If you did not win, do not be discouraged. It was a very tough crowd. Now that we know what you like, you will see some exciting things in the future... muah ha, muah haha ha ha...

Edited by CrazyWorm, 20 February 2014 - 11:52 AM.

#20 Karyudo ds

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,706 posts
  • LocationChaos March

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:26 PM

The Urbie riding a pug is hilarious. Though it looked like they just went with a pug due as a compromise between suggestions. That's one big reason I had no interest in putting time into this one. It wasn't a "design an item" contest, just a "general idea" contest.

It was sort of a nice idea. It just didn't feel like anything to put pen to tablet for :unsure:

12 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 12 guests, 0 anonymous users