control joystick mouse keyboard gamepad

53 replies to this topic

#21 Buckminster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 23 February 2014 - 01:40 PM

And you're adorable too. Torso alignment has nothing to do with going between buildings.

Seriously, analog turning > digital turning, every day of the week. Anyone that tells you otherwise is selling you something.

#22 Mycrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 23 February 2014 - 03:17 PM

View PostModo44, on 23 February 2014 - 08:08 AM, said:

You are adorable. As if aligning the legs to the torso was forbidden.

I have tried all the control schemes... have you?

Or is this something you heard on the interwebs?

#23 Gremlich Johns

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 23 February 2014 - 04:26 PM

I always use a logitech extreme 3D pro fror my right hand and a Razer Nostromo (formerly the Belkin Nostromo n52) for my right hand. If I run Battle Armors in MWLL, I use nostromo and the mouse.

KB/Mouse is better for fast mechs, but I have respectable scores with my setup.

But, the best advice is whatever works better for you.

My best in an Atlas D(F) using a JS and Nostromo

match

Posted Image

my best in the HBK-4G(F) in 12-mans (one 8-mans match I got 800 pts damage:
Posted Image

#24 Buckminster

• Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 23 February 2014 - 05:10 PM

View PostGremlich Johns, on 23 February 2014 - 04:26 PM, said:

I always use a logitech extreme 3D pro fror my right hand and a Razer Nostromo (formerly the Belkin Nostromo n52) for my right hand. If I run Battle Armors in MWLL, I use nostromo and the mouse.

You have two right hands?!?!? -_-

#25 Napoleon_Blownapart

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 12:18 PM

he can only swim left.

i use a joystick and a hotas weapons controller,aiming is tougher with the joystick,i finer aim with a trackball between them.

#26 Dragon Lady

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 07:00 PM

Been ages since I've posted on the board (because it's been ages since I played... been fixing the latter the last two weeks :unsure: ). One of the greatest disappointments for me with this game has been the inconsistant joystick support.

(FYI - I'm a dedicated light mech pilot, primarily a Jenner.)

Using an analog throttle to control a 'Mech's speed works great. You can't beat full throttle as you flank the enemy, slam the throttle back to aim a full alpha strike at an unprotected back, and then push it forward again to dash back to cover. (Dashing back to cover is critical...I tend to get killed when I stick around for a second alpha.) Kinesthetic feedback for the win!

Analog turning is pretty good. Most of the time, I'm making hard turns, so having it is immaterial, but sometimes it comes in handy when in hot pursuit or you're trying to stay behind an assault mech. Again, the kinesthetic feedback you get from a good HOTAS setup helps a lot.

Many of the functions I use in the game map well to HOTAS buttons, and I have my jump jets mapped to my foot petals.

Unfortunately, no matter how much I've tried, using the joystick to control my torso and arms (aka aiming) remains frustratingly sub-par. I have a CH products HOTAS, and I'm using the joystick and CH's scripting language to control a virtual mouse, but it's limited to a virtual "mousepad." No matter what I've tried, I can't get full range of motion with the joystick. I can add an additional control to "trim" the torso to one side or the other, but no whipping the torso from full right to full left. Not to mention the "0-255" digital range of the joystick, which limits fine aiming without additional controls... something I really need to work on in the next version of my script.

And since I normally PUG, communicating via in-game chat completely violates HOTAS unless I want to use Dragon Naturally Speaking... which doesn't work as fast as I'd like it to, and I've noticed that it's less than accurate when I'm excited.

All in all, I'd say that if I hadn't already spent so much time stubbornly trying to get my HOTAS to work in MWO back in beta, I'd be playing keyboard and mouse. As much as I hate to admit it, MWO is a FPS with 'Mechs, not a full blown 'Mech simulator.

#27 Mycrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 24 February 2014 - 08:20 PM

View PostDragon Lady, on 24 February 2014 - 07:00 PM, said:

Been ages since I've posted on the board (because it's been ages since I played... been fixing the latter the last two weeks :D ). One of the greatest disappointments for me with this game has been the inconsistant joystick support.

(FYI - I'm a dedicated light mech pilot, primarily a Jenner.)

Using an analog throttle to control a 'Mech's speed works great. You can't beat full throttle as you flank the enemy, slam the throttle back to aim a full alpha strike at an unprotected back, and then push it forward again to dash back to cover. (Dashing back to cover is critical...I tend to get killed when I stick around for a second alpha.) Kinesthetic feedback for the win!

Analog turning is pretty good. Most of the time, I'm making hard turns, so having it is immaterial, but sometimes it comes in handy when in hot pursuit or you're trying to stay behind an assault mech. Again, the kinesthetic feedback you get from a good HOTAS setup helps a lot.

Many of the functions I use in the game map well to HOTAS buttons, and I have my jump jets mapped to my foot petals.

Unfortunately, no matter how much I've tried, using the joystick to control my torso and arms (aka aiming) remains frustratingly sub-par. I have a CH products HOTAS, and I'm using the joystick and CH's scripting language to control a virtual mouse, but it's limited to a virtual "mousepad." No matter what I've tried, I can't get full range of motion with the joystick. I can add an additional control to "trim" the torso to one side or the other, but no whipping the torso from full right to full left. Not to mention the "0-255" digital range of the joystick, which limits fine aiming without additional controls... something I really need to work on in the next version of my script.

And since I normally PUG, communicating via in-game chat completely violates HOTAS unless I want to use Dragon Naturally Speaking... which doesn't work as fast as I'd like it to, and I've noticed that it's less than accurate when I'm excited.

All in all, I'd say that if I hadn't already spent so much time stubbornly trying to get my HOTAS to work in MWO back in beta, I'd be playing keyboard and mouse. As much as I hate to admit it, MWO is a FPS with 'Mechs, not a full blown 'Mech simulator.

Use mwo client to map axis

Use joystick profiler to map buttons

#28 Geeks On Hugs

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 121 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 27 February 2014 - 12:43 PM

View PostEvil Ed, on 23 February 2014 - 01:28 AM, said:

Keyboard? No, I don't use to write poems in the middle of a game. For gaming I use a gamingboard (Logitech G13).

Yes! That looks perfect! I'm going to give it a try.

I tried my gamepad and the mouse (I don't own a joystick right now) and I couldn't get the gamepad to respond fast enough. I'm sure as others have mentioned it can be tweaked but mouse keyboard made me feel the most capable. I think with that gaming board I could really set up a nice system...thanks Evil Ed and all the other responses! :-)

#29 Geeks On Hugs

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 121 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 27 February 2014 - 01:00 PM

I just ordered:

http://www.amazon.co...duct_refresh_T1

Right one right? It's coming overnight! :-) It was $79.99 on the Logitech site so with the savings (only $49.99 on Amazon) I spent $23 or something for overnight delivery.

Edited by Geeks On Hugs, 27 February 2014 - 01:01 PM.

#30 Geeks On Hugs

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 121 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 27 February 2014 - 01:03 PM

Evil Ed, I'd love to know your specific set up since you've already spent the time to perfect it. I'll be using the game board with my Mad Catz R.A.T. 7 gaming mouse.

I'm thinking the little joystick for movement foreword/back and left right and then use the mouse for torso left+right and pitch.

Are there private messages here?

Edited by Geeks On Hugs, 27 February 2014 - 01:04 PM.

#31 Klarance

Rookie

• The Steadfast
  • 7 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 27 February 2014 - 01:33 PM

I also have a G-13, I briefly tried setting it up for this game. I think I was in a hurry to play so I didn't mess around with it long enough to get a good set up that was comfortable.

I'm really curious as to how Evil Ed has it set up as well.

Also, the OP said something about running a Mac in Bootcamp. I am also doing this on my i7 MBP (15") It runs well, but with the Macbook layout I have had to do some real remapping of my keys to make things work. There are still a handful of infrequently used functions that I have no access to in matches. (eg- the ability to set up weapon groups on the fly in matches. etc.) I wonder is this is an issue for him as well.

#32 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 03:52 PM

View PostGeeks On Hugs, on 27 February 2014 - 01:03 PM, said:

Are there private messages here?

Yes, but you need to get out of recruit tag (win 25 matches.)

#33 Watchit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,235 posts
  • LocationOrlando

Posted 27 February 2014 - 10:43 PM

Keyboard + mouse is easier. But it all comes down to preference in the end.

Edited by Watchit, 27 February 2014 - 10:44 PM.

#34 Geeks On Hugs

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 121 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 11 April 2014 - 07:06 PM

View PostKlarance, on 27 February 2014 - 01:33 PM, said:

I also have a G-13, I briefly tried setting it up for this game. I think I was in a hurry to play so I didn't mess around with it long enough to get a good set up that was comfortable.

Also, the OP said something about running a Mac in Bootcamp. I am also doing this on my i7 MBP (15") It runs well, but with the Macbook layout I have had to do some real remapping of my keys to make things work. There are still a handful of infrequently used functions that I have no access to in matches. (eg- the ability to set up weapon groups on the fly in matches. etc.) I wonder is this is an issue for him as well.

@Klarance this is where the G13 really shines...the first thing I did was set up every command available to the game in the Logitech gaming software then I just assign them where I want them. I have multi monitors so I have one up with the Logitech Gaming Software screen up so I can remember less used commands (of course you could alternatively print a screenshot or have it available on your tablet). If you are curious about how I set up my stuff I could post a screen of my assignments.

View PostKlarance, on 27 February 2014 - 01:33 PM, said:

BTW, is that a retina model MBP? What graphics card does it have?

#35 Ovion

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 03:04 AM

I use twin Joysticks.

A more basic one I picked up for £5 for my left hand, that controls throttle, jumpjets and some weapon groups.
And a Saitek Cyborg Evo for my right hand, controlling just about everything else.

Amazing fun, almost as good at aiming as with a mouse now.
(Would love a Cyborg FLY5.. should really start saving my pennies)

#36 AllSpark

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 07:30 AM

Posted Image

+
Posted Image
Is my combo.

That Saitek X45 throttle is very good for MWO because it has an analogue "rocker switch" at the bottom. I use it to turn my mech. It works better than my CH pro flight pedals for that job as is it faster to operate, but still has enough control to adjust your turning rate with needed precision. X45 throttle also has two 4-way switches, two buttons and two 3-stage switches and a couple rotaries which is enough I've found. More recent Saitek throttles have done away with the rocker switch so they simply won't cut it for me.

R.A.T.7 mouse is good because it has a "sniper button" which I have set to drop my DPI to 1/3 when pressed.

#37 Aym

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,041 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 12 April 2014 - 01:31 PM

Logitech G-13 and mouse, use the thumbstick for throttle and turns, you have plenty of buttons for weapon groups, targetting, Heat, night, consumables, etc.

#38 MustangZeroZero

Rookie

• Fury
  • Fury
  • 6 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC, Canada

Posted 16 August 2014 - 11:37 PM

I just bought myself a T.16000M. I've been searching how to use the joystick left handed for movement and mouse for targetting. Can't find a clear answer. Anyone knows how to do this? Thanks!

Edited by burito, 16 August 2014 - 11:38 PM.

#39 orionx666

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 06:01 PM

View Postloopala, on 22 February 2014 - 08:22 PM, said:

i have been unconventional for years. i use a 2 button mouse with my left hand. i am right handed but years ago i learned to mouse left handed and type right handed. right button centers legs to torso. left button JJs. mouse controls torso. i also use an old x45 throttle and stick. the stick is in my right hand for most steering and firing. js has 5 fire buttons and a pinkie button i use for targeting. the js also has a couple of hats i use for weapon grouping, ecm zoom, and other stuff. the throttle is well a throttle with a couple of hats i use for vision(heat and night) and also a mouse hat. i also have one button on throttle mapped to JJs. for getting from place to place the throttle and stick is hard to beat. once engaged i drop the throttle for mouse, tapping the JJs and centering my legs as needed. kind of point the cross hair were i want to go tap the right button and away i go. as much as i love a joystick, it is not accurate enough for brawling or snipping. lrm boat i can get away without the mouse. lights with JJs mouse and stick.

wooooooow bro, thats insane!!!!

#40 Warblood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 503 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Qc, Cnd

Posted 12 November 2014 - 11:49 AM

I use the Logitech 3D Pro. heres a post I made for it in the Hardware section of the forums.
http://mwomercs.com/...joystick-setup/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users