#1 godmonkey

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 160 posts
  • LocationFinland/Sweden

Posted 24 February 2014 - 02:31 AM

Hi guys

I was with this game before it all started long ago, i bought the founders package and played afew games in the beta. I didnt like the game much. I recently installed it again and realized i have 20k MC to burn and a seemingly useless founders atlas.

question 1

what mechs to buy with my MCs?

question 2

how can i make my founders atlas competetive?

#2 Watchit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,235 posts
  • LocationOrlando

Posted 24 February 2014 - 04:01 AM

Pretty much, unless you have more money then time, I'd only spend money on Hero mechs or maybe champion mechs. Hero mechs give you a 30% c-bill boost when you play them and champion mechs give you a certain percentage I can't remember xp boost. Some good hero mechs are the Ilya Muromets and Firebrand, good heavy mechs. If you want an assault, you can't beat the Heavy Metal. I don't really like any of the current hero mediums, but they're ok. The new Firestarter hero is good too, if you want a light hero mech.

Champion mechs are exactly like their normal variants, but the xp boost, that's it.

As for question 2, I don't play Atlas so I have no idea, sorry.

#3 godmonkey

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 160 posts
  • LocationFinland/Sweden

Posted 24 February 2014 - 04:03 AM

I did some reading last night and aparently in the current meta armor is pretty useless as ROF has been boosted. is this correct?

#4 Mahws

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 04:13 AM

No, not even close. Rate of fire hasn't been changed appreciably since closed beta for anything but the AC/2 and AC/5 as far as I know.

Everyone runs full armor on torsos (and if a light on legs as well).

View Postgodmonkey, on 24 February 2014 - 02:31 AM, said:

how can i make my founders atlas competetive?

Stick 2 AC/5 or an AC/20 in it. Stick large lasers in it. Stick heatsinks in it. Shift some of that armor to the front. Learn the maps so you know how to approach enemies without walking across open spaces.

The atlas is far from useless, it's definitely one of the most intimidating mechs to come across at short range. Getting it to short range is the trick and requires experience, patience and good map knowledge.

Edited by Mahws, 24 February 2014 - 04:14 AM.

#5 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 04:42 AM

Piloting an Atlas takes a bit of grace (Yes u read right)

there much better with speed tweak

Try this for easy high damage (Not so good on the kills)

endo
325 standard engine
2 x ER Large Lasers
2 x LBX10 (On chain fire, don't save ammo, shoot it u got plenty)
rest heatsinks and ammo (100 shots or a bit more)

or this for meta

endo
325 Standard
2 x PPC's (or ER Large Lasers will do, but less pin point damage)
2 x Ultra AC5's

Tip - don't be the tip of the spear , be the shaft, Most of the time
Being on point and dying early is a waste of an Atlas

#6 Zolaz

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationHouston, Tx

Posted 24 February 2014 - 04:59 AM

What do you mean by competitive? If you want kills go with a concentrated damage. 2 PPCs and an AC20, full armor, get endo and double heat sinks. Fill up remain slots with double heat sinks and put the largest standard engine in that you can fit.

Stay near the back where you can snipe with the PPCs. When your team gets a numerical advantage or you can get an enemy isolated go ahead and push. If you can see 3 mechs firing at you, normally you are smoked.

This build is good if you are fighting a lot of larger mechs. Just learn to lead with your weapons and stay near the center of your team. Lights will eat you alive if they are swarming in a pack. If you see them jumping around, the best time to hit them is when they land. They will be at an almost dead stop when then land from a jump. Or hope they are a bad pilot and get stuck on some of the terrain.

#7 godmonkey

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 160 posts
  • LocationFinland/Sweden

Posted 24 February 2014 - 05:01 AM

thanks for the tips guys, i have noticed that weirdly enough assault mechs should not assault :(

doesnt the atlas builds need the Endo + XL engine to fit all those guns? tweaked around last night a bit and i couldnt get 2 lbx10´s to fit

#8 Philadelphia Collins

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 114 posts
  • LocationCookin some dirty burgers

Posted 24 February 2014 - 05:03 AM

I would run 2x UAC5 2x LL and streaks in left torso (honestly I wouldn't run the D variant I would run the DDC, ECM and three streaks in left torso, but working with whats available) the streaks are just for lights and mediums. Start doing damage at about 1000m with Ultras but try not to double tap. Once the range closes to about 700 start in with the large lasers. Takes a steady hand to use LL but turning mouse sensitivity down helps alot, I have it hotkeyed through razer synapse. Biggest engine you can get with said loadout above and definately need full pilot trees or you are at a permanent disadvantage.

Welcome back

PS Never XL and atlas!

Edited by Philadelphia Collins, 24 February 2014 - 05:04 AM.

#9 godmonkey

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 160 posts
  • LocationFinland/Sweden

Posted 24 February 2014 - 05:09 AM

thanks for welcoming me back :(

i was tweaking the setups on the atlas yesterday alot from setups that worked better for me and worse (aparently gauss gun is not for me)

so you get the tonnage for the UAC5 by scrapping tha launcher alltogheter? OK WILL NOT XL IT!

has the ECM boating been nerfed/stopped? that was the last tiem when i played active and it was a bunch of ravens zipping by with tons of ecm the one with the most won

#10 Mahws

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 05:13 AM

It has, ECM is much better balanced than it used to be.

BAP counters ECM within 180m(IIRC), TAG works through ECM and PPC disabled ECM for 4 seconds when hit.

#11 Philadelphia Collins

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 114 posts
  • LocationCookin some dirty burgers

Posted 24 February 2014 - 05:14 AM

View Postgodmonkey, on 24 February 2014 - 05:09 AM, said:

thanks for welcoming me back :(

i was tweaking the setups on the atlas yesterday alot from setups that worked better for me and worse (aparently gauss gun is not for me)

so you get the tonnage for the UAC5 by scrapping tha launcher alltogheter? OK WILL NOT XL IT!

has the ECM boating been nerfed/stopped? that was the last tiem when i played active and it was a bunch of ravens zipping by with tons of ecm the one with the most won

sort of there are so many mechs to choose from now that most drops won't be ECM heavy occasionally though you will randomly face off against a team full of ECM. ECM ravens are a rarity now since most people only consider jumping mechs to be any good (Enter the ECM spider) ECM also has some counters now tag, PPC emp effect on ECM, narc (still garbage) and there is a sweet spot somewhere around 200 meters where you can see ecm mechs, oh yeah and Beagle Active Probe turns off one ECM in the area

#12 godmonkey

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 160 posts
  • LocationFinland/Sweden

Posted 24 February 2014 - 05:18 AM

nice, sounds like they fixed alot of the issues and BAPing even "weird" mechs like Atlas might be a good idea.

is there no point in playing "regular" mechs at all? all should i purchase a hero variant (or champion) of all of these

highlander, catapracht and the firestarter 9s

regarding the firestarter are the flamers a nuisance only or do they cause serious heat issues for the enemy?

also is there a point in buying any of the overpriced clanmenchs? was thinking about the 60$ deal but it seemed kinda bad value for money

Edited by godmonkey, 24 February 2014 - 05:20 AM.

#13 Goldhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 379 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 05:37 AM

There are some "regular" mechs to purchase, I would suggest the Champion Stalker but Rip out the XL and put a Standard engine, cause a Stalker with an XL is just one torso away from boom!

Heavy Metal: Purchase, not sure if they might have a sale soon on it because they just had one 2-3 weeks ago. But it's a good Highlander that can boat a lot of weps.

Ember: Purchase this giant killer. Once it gets leveled up, this mech can cut through rear armor like a vibroblade through steel. (Sarna) The 4 machine guns and the ability to dash makes it a threat to heavier and lighter mechs. Flamers still kinda suck.

For the clan mechs, well, I haven't bought them myself, but I will in a few days, you really should only get the mechs that you want. I unfortunately, have a love for the Warhawk, so I will purchase all the clan mechs so that I can find the one that "calls" to me. We also have the al la carte menu where you can get what ever clan mech you want for a smaller price tag. Is it worth it? I'd say yes, might as well. But I'd not go with a specific mech and say, Yes, this Summoner/Thor is going to rock! But I would like better to get the entire set and see which one works. I thought the Battlemaster was going to rule from the Overload package, and was frothing at the bit waiting for it. Once I got it though, it was pretty bad, and didn't fit my movement profile. Purchase several or wait until they come out, you might be surprised which mech works best for you.

#14 CCC Dober

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,881 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 05:41 AM

I'm in the same situation and do not feel my 20k mc are worth much atm, which is why I'm waiting for Clan Hero Mechs because I know there's some really good stuff ahead of us. Just two examples off the top of my head: the Mad Cat of Aidan Pryde had Jump Jets. The Daishi's from Natasha Kerensky, Hohiro Kurita or Victor Steiner Davion each have a thing going for them.

Cheers.

#15 godmonkey

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 160 posts
  • LocationFinland/Sweden

Posted 24 February 2014 - 05:45 AM

XL engines dont seem very popular :( thanks for the stalker tip i will definitively check it out.

So the heavy metal and the firestarter are "go" (i dont understand how 4 machineguns can be good and the flamers themselves suck but i guess i will find out by playing)

the 20k seemed like alot when i got my founders pack but looking at the prices in the ingame store i dont feel very special or rich with those on my account

#16 HammerMaster

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, USA

Posted 24 February 2014 - 05:49 AM

The AS7-D is easily one of the best Atlas mechs. Just because it doesn't have ECM does not make it bad. I run mine as a TableTop style mix build:
325 standard
Endo
Double heatstinks
BAP
2 Artemis lrm 15
4 mlas,
1 LbX-ac10
(very similar to the Champion RS. less the gauss, add a lot more LRM ammo).

Alternatively you can do:
2 regular lrm 15
4 mlas
and ac-20
(Cheap as does not require a lot of upgrade. POWERFUL!)

Don't run in and "tank". No one heals you so that is out. Chuck Lrms on good targets till you are tired of it or run out of ammo. THEN move in and take out weakend opponents. You have armor and speed(for an atlas) and can take on all ranges. THIS is what it should be about. No one trick ponies. Also, invest in modules. UAV is great on ANY mech. LRMS need the avanced target decay. Sensor range helps BAP.

Edited by HammerMaster, 24 February 2014 - 06:43 AM.

#17 godmonkey

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 160 posts
  • LocationFinland/Sweden

Posted 24 February 2014 - 05:52 AM

regarding what glove fits best, from experience one does get a bit suprised usually with the results. what you thought you liked to play and what actually works for you are usually 2 different things. I think my mechs end up being mediums. I love medium tanks in wot, even if i have more games played in heavies...and i think i get better results in meds too

so getting the blackhawk collection gives more bang for buck then picking a specific mech as i get the uller for "free"

hammermaster: looks like i have some tweaking to do when i get home on my 7D

Edited by godmonkey, 24 February 2014 - 05:51 AM.

#18 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 04:07 PM

For the Atlas D, anything that does tons of damage will do. Like the AC20, 2 ASRM6s, 4 med lasers will work. Dual LBXAC10s and 3 Large Lasers is what I run personally. Others run PPC variants with Ultra AC5s or AC5s, maybe a combo of ACs and Lasers.

#19 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 24 February 2014 - 04:23 PM

View Postluxebo, on 24 February 2014 - 04:07 PM, said:

For the Atlas D, anything that does tons of damage will do. Like the AC20, 2 ASRM6s, 4 med lasers will work. Dual LBXAC10s and 3 Large Lasers is what I run personally. Others run PPC variants with Ultra AC5s or AC5s, maybe a combo of ACs and Lasers.

2 UAC5/3 LL here. Subtlety isn't my thing.

#20 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 05:13 PM

View PostTerciel1976, on 24 February 2014 - 04:23 PM, said:

2 UAC5/3 LL here. Subtlety isn't my thing.

I personally don't like the unreliable of the Ultras. LBXs do a ton of spread/coring for the kill damage, though there are other options (AC20, dual AC5s, mixed ACs.) A lot of people dislike LBXs though, so it's sorta niche.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users