#81 Amsro

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,435 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 06 March 2014 - 04:36 PM

View PostKilbourne Jorgensson, on 06 March 2014 - 03:30 PM, said:

2 ft of steel for a .50 cal? You are no marine then or a dumb one. I love the Ma Deuce but it won't go through 2ft of steel. I've been a tanker and a .50 is for troops and light skinned vehicles like a truck. Even in the Gulf War a 25mm on a Bradley shooting point blank at an Iraqi tank wasn't doing a whole lot.

That MG's in MWO do any damage is ridiculous. Also lights should not be able to withstand close combat. They are for scouting and shooting at range. The fact that they just have to run around at close range and not get hit has more to do with server lag than anything or some other technical issue.

"Machine Gun" in Battletech/Mechwarrior Land isn't a .50 cal infantry gun.

Its a 1000 lb or a 1/2 ton Auto Cannon. The projectile is the same size as the AC/2 with much less range.

A weapon of this size and caliber would leave a mark on tanks and battleships, battlemechs are no different.

Posted Image

This .50 caliber gun doesn't equal anywhere near half a ton. This idea needs to stop.

Edit; Light mechs can have up to 7.4 tons of armor, not exactly tissue paper, they can take a bit of damage before failing.

Its not the 19.2 tons the atlas has, but then its MUCH quicker. ;)

Edited by Amsro, 06 March 2014 - 06:42 PM.

#82 Olunn

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 76 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 07:16 PM

translation. OP: MGs waaah waah waah qq

#83 Kyynele

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 973 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 05:51 PM

View PostWhiteFenix, on 25 February 2014 - 01:06 PM, said:

Seems some of you don't enjoy the MWO mini game, this will brighten your day;
Stock EMBER 6.8 dps
Stock BOARS HEAD 3.22 dps
Thats just hiliarius.
I think you're new too the game and afraid they will nerf your 'I win" button, I'm here to tell you that your button is BROKEN, and it will be fixed. Spread the word and save the ATLAS.

Congratulations on using Smurfy's and not understanding anything about what you're reading.

The sustained DPS you're referring to, is the DPS you can do without overheating. Yes, the stock Ember can do it's max 6.8 DPS pretty much indefinitely, but the actual max DPS for stock Boar's Head is 16.93 (as shown on Smurfy right next to sustained DPS). Granted, the stock BH will overheat after 7 seconds, but in those 7 seconds, the BH has dealt a theoretical maximum of 118.51 damage, which is plenty to completely destroy all of stock Ember's torsos, including armor and internals. In the same time, the Ember has done a maximum of 47.6 damage, and thus hasn't even gotten halfway through the CT armor, or through any other armor section.

Next, let's consider that the stock Boar's head's alpha is 56 points. With just the pinpoint weapons AC10 and MPLs, the alpha is 46 points. This is enough to kill the Ember in one shot, right through the CT. The MPL beam duration is 0.6s, in that time the Ember has managed to deal a whopping 4.1 points of damage. That's not even a scratch on the BH.

Yes, stacking MGs gives nice no-heat DPS. And yes, stacking pretty much any other weapon will deal the same damage much faster, more accurately and from further away, generating heat as a tradeoff. If you have trouble in a healthy assault mech killing a light standing still within 200m in under 5 seconds, either you or your mech build is broken.

Also, your spreadsheet kung fu is weak.

#84 Kubernetes

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 04:05 PM

Yes, clearly MGs are OP, which is why games are ruled by MG-wielding Jäger DDs and Phract 4Xs.

PPCs? ACs? Weapons that deliver pinpoint alphas at range? That was so yesterday's meta. Today's game is ruled by those willing to close to point-blank and duke it out face-to-face. 6MGs = 6dps which means you'll wreck that Atlas's CT armor in just under 17 seconds of sustained fire. Who can stand up to that?

#85 IceCase88

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 689 posts
  • LocationDenzien of K-Town

Posted 08 March 2014 - 05:34 PM

Time to let this thread die like the OP's 4 MG Locust in front of an Atlas and his funny statement.

#86 Phelantau

• PipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 29 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:36 PM

I have no problem with the power of MG's where they are. I've never lost a fight to a MG heavy light or jag when I had my armor up. I have been torn to pieces when my internals were exposed. And as someone who has ran 4 mg spiders and locusts I can honestly say that punching through armor to get to the internals is not quick and painless. It takes forever and the whole time your praying they don't leg you.

#87 Supersmacky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 239 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 10 March 2014 - 06:48 AM

Still waiting for the OP to load up a light with an all MG build, go out and own the battlefield and post the video here. Actually, just to eliminate flukes, I'd like to see the video of three matches in a row where the OP "owned" everyone with his MG Light build. Actually, can anyone post videos like that? Rules are:
- Must be in a Light
- Must be an all MG build
- Can only go toe-to-toe with enemies in Heavies and Assaults
- Must have a match KDR of great that 1
- No just vultching cripples-the targets must be still viable enemies with no stripped are when the engagement begins.
- Have to post video from three consecutive matches with the above rules adhered to

Any takers? WhiteFenix???

I don't doubt that a player can get kills in a MG build.
I don't doubt that with proper tactics MG builds can harass the crap out of the enemy team
I don't doubt that an MG build can survive the whole match
I don't doubt that a properly run MG Light that catches an assault alone and gets behind him can strip the armor and kill him

But MGs the "King" of the battlefield (or even "over-powered")??? Nope.

#88 Clit Beastwood

• 2,262 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 11 March 2014 - 06:45 AM

View PostSupersmacky, on 10 March 2014 - 06:48 AM, said:

Still waiting for the OP to load up a light with an all MG build, go out and own the battlefield and post the video here. Actually, just to eliminate flukes, I'd like to see the video of three matches in a row where the OP "owned" everyone with his MG Light build. Actually, can anyone post videos like that? Rules are:
- Must be in a Light
- Must be an all MG build
- Can only go toe-to-toe with enemies in Heavies and Assaults
- Must have a match KDR of great that 1
- No just vultching cripples-the targets must be still viable enemies with no stripped are when the engagement begins.
- Have to post video from three consecutive matches with the above rules adhered to

Any takers? WhiteFenix???

I don't doubt that a player can get kills in a MG build.
I don't doubt that with proper tactics MG builds can harass the crap out of the enemy team
I don't doubt that an MG build can survive the whole match
I don't doubt that a properly run MG Light that catches an assault alone and gets behind him can strip the armor and kill him

But MGs the "King" of the battlefield (or even "over-powered")??? Nope.

I don't think mg are OP... But this sounds fun! Xl285 sdr-5k with just 4 mg! I will try this tonight... Haha gonna be so bad. Might need to take a flamer as insurance ;)

#89 Olunn

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 76 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:40 AM

In regards to killing exposed internals, aren't virtually any other weapons far more capable of finishing it off?

#90 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:51 AM

View PostOlunn, on 11 March 2014 - 09:40 AM, said:

In regards to killing exposed internals, aren't virtually any other weapons far more capable of finishing it off?

The MG does 2 DPS vs internal structure (with the extra damage from crits accounted for), so yes, most other weapons destroys internal structure faster.

No other weapons destroys internal components faster though; the MG does roughly 7 DPS vs those.

Edited by stjobe, 11 March 2014 - 09:51 AM.

12 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 12 guests, 0 anonymous users