• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5,033 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLafayette, IN

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:30 AM

View PostJohn MatriX82, on 05 March 2014 - 01:37 AM, said:

hmm hardpoint layout is similar to other heroes with only 1B and 1M.. but this ain't as good as the other cbill variants, 3E and 3S are fairly more interesting imho.

Yea, I agree. But hey, you can't put a mech out there for 7125 MC and make it too good without bringing all the people who don't even play the game here and cry P2W.

#82 Ngamok

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5,033 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLafayette, IN

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:34 AM

View PostNovalov, on 05 March 2014 - 03:17 AM, said:

Was in a drop today where a player of the opfor had just bought a La Malinche mech. I'm not sure what if anything was changed on it after he bought it but I wound up one on one alone against it and well, tore it to pieces (I'm average at MWO I guess and was driving a Highlander with 2 UAC5'S, 2 LL and 1 ARTY-LRM 15. nothing special) I have read a lot of people are disappointed by the load out and I would think this played a part. I was expecting more given the cost in MC for it.

Cool story but doesn't prove anything. Maybe the other guy was just not on his game or bad.

#83 Xeno Phalcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:41 AM

View PostKaos Amalgam, on 05 March 2014 - 09:20 AM, said:

howbout you rethink yours. Using a chinese mech with a japanese flag paintjob is highly offensive because historically U.S Americans have bundled up all asians as being "the same".

And La Malinche actually DOES alienate some of my mexican friends that play this game. they feel awkward every time they see one in a match.

Posted Image

#84 John MatriX82

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,398 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:03 AM

View PostNgamok, on 05 March 2014 - 09:30 AM, said:

Yea, I agree. But hey, you can't put a mech out there for 7125 MC and make it too good without bringing all the people who don't even play the game here and cry P2W.

For sure, in fact I like PGI -I'll die for this- under this pov, because heroes ain't p2w; it's just that sometimes they are very shy thinking out their configurations, like with this, with the PB, GB, OXIDE..

#85 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:11 AM

I saw a few Banshees last night, and for the most part, they all did ok. Doesn't seem like a total stinker.

If I do get one, I'll most likely wait for a sale because it too damn ugly to pay full price for.

#86 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:22 AM

howbout you rethink yours. Using a chinese mech with a japanese flag paintjob is highly offensive because historically U.S Americans have bundled up all asians as being "the same".

And La Malinche actually DOES alienate some of my mexican friends that play this game. they feel awkward every time they see one in a match.

On the other hand, this is a game set far enough in the future that current modern culture has little meaning to them, and they managed to blow several of their planets back into the middle ages. And it's not like they named the mech some racial slur or something.

#87 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:24 AM

View PostNRP, on 05 March 2014 - 10:11 AM, said:

I saw a few Banshees last night, and for the most part, they all did ok. Doesn't seem like a total stinker.

If I do get one, I'll most likely wait for a sale because it too damn ugly to pay full price for.

Yeah I ran mine a couple times last night. It did fine, its nice running around at 65 kph in a 95 tonner. 2x PPC and AC10 has reasonably good punch, then LPL and MPL for support. The slower torso twist quirk is noticeable IMO. Definitely found myself hitting the spacebar alot for some reason, followed by the "oh, yeah.." feeling.

#88 Tiamat of the Sea

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:51 AM

View PostBront, on 05 March 2014 - 10:22 AM, said:

On the other hand, this is a game set far enough in the future that current modern culture has little meaning to them, and they managed to blow several of their planets back into the middle ages. And it's not like they named the mech some racial slur or something.

In fact, if I recall correctly, it's kind of a point that the Draconis Combine in particular doesn't really quite understand the Old Terra culture they're (trying to) mimicing. I know that's not directly relevant to the YLW or Malinche, but if one House is getting it skewed (mostly because one thousand years and succession wars) it's not hard to believe other houses are as well. After all, how well do the vast majority of modern people really understand cultures from 1000 CE? There's all kinds of misunderstanding (and confusion) going around, and the World Wars weren't nearly as bad (or continuous) as the Succession Wars, plus we're still on the same planet besides.

Edited by Elli Gujar, 05 March 2014 - 10:51 AM.

#89 Serpentbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 485 posts
  • LocationVanvikan, Norway

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:58 AM

View PostAlex Wolfe, on 04 March 2014 - 11:48 AM, said:

I'd love to know what's the reasoning that La Malinche, an "interpreter, advisor, lover and intermediary for Hernán Cortés", thus an accomplice - willing or otherwise - to genocide, should be an inspiration for a hero mech.

Yen Lo Wang, a Chinese-themed mech sporting the colors of the Imperial Japanese Army was one thing - it's a lapsus of an earlier picture recreated in MWO, regrettable and somewhat insensitive, but explainable. This, however, is a wholly new creation. Why would you invoke Malintzin, a controversial figure often seen as a symbol of race treachery, in your game?

I would not put so much weight on this name, or be as easely offended by it. Yes, she was controversal, a symbol of glory and graciousness for some, a completely different symbol for others, as you mention. Could the name just represent this diversity also?

Anyways, I'm norwegian, but if they named a mech Quisling I wouldn't lift an eyebrow. These machines are bad ass, and they are not made for rainbows and hippie songs.

Lighten up ppl, or you'll die of a heart attack.

Edited by Serpentbane, 05 March 2014 - 10:59 AM.

#90 ApacheWarrior

Rookie

• The Serpent
  • The Serpent
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:27 AM

Should of named it Cuauhtemoc, instead you named it after a traitor. :P

#91 Novalov

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 25 posts
  • LocationTannhauser Gate

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:34 AM

View PostNgamok, on 05 March 2014 - 09:34 AM, said:

Cool story but doesn't prove anything. Maybe the other guy was just not on his game or bad.

That was part of my consideration in the drop but I was more commenting on the payload, he or she did not seem to have any punch. I was looking at in the mech lab and confused as to why, I don't think it's a ineffective mech or that PGI broke some strange notion of how they should spend their time on development, if I did I would not have been paying in on a weekly basis for odds and ends for this account and my test build account since closed beta. I don't post more than once or twice a year if at all because I tend to not put down all my thoughts and that can be confusing or as you state in this case a limited window on my thoughts. I apologize if anyone thought I was trying to be a "PGI downing A$$hat" not at all, to the contrary, I was stoked to see this iteration of a franchise I started in back in the mid 80's on a table in a garage.

#92 Dennis de Koning

Art Director

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 118 posts
  • LocationVancouver, B.C.

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:00 PM

View PostInRev, on 04 March 2014 - 05:48 PM, said:

" La Llorona es también uno de los primeros signos del mestizaje, pues es durante este período cuando se identifica en México a este fantasmagórico personaje con doña Marina, la Malinche que vuelve arrepentida a llorar su desgracia, su traición a su pueblo indígena y su relación con Hernán Cortés, como parte de la leyenda negrade estos personajes." http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Llorona Translated and paraphrased, after death La Malinche's remorse for her betrayal of her people and for her relationship with Cortés is so powerful that she is unable to find peace in death and manifests herself as "La Llorona" (meaning the one who cries), a spirit who wanders the land as a crying phantasm (like a banshee). This is actually a very, very clever play by PGI's part on the "banshee" name.

You hit the nail right on the head InRev; thanks for doing your homework.

#93 Liquid Leopard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationChesapeake, VA

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:01 PM

If you combine the sounds of "Malinche" and "Banshee", will you now have a "Berrinche"? :P

#94 Solis Obscuri

Don't Care How I Want It Now!

• The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:02 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 05 March 2014 - 10:24 AM, said:

Yeah I ran mine a couple times last night. It did fine, its nice running around at 65 kph in a 95 tonner. 2x PPC and AC10 has reasonably good punch, then LPL and MPL for support. The slower torso twist quirk is noticeable IMO. Definitely found myself hitting the spacebar alot for some reason, followed by the "oh, yeah.." feeling.

I see you had the same idea as me.

The mobility and wide twist range feel awfully nice, I must say. All the time I spent in Hunchies and Awesomes floods back when I get in something that can twist.

The large engine actually lets me carry enough heat sinks to manage a decent energy loadout, and the missile rack expands to a good size - I knda wish there was a second hardpoint, though. As it stands, with the way missiles are working, unless you're using a large LRM rack a single missile hardpoint isn't terribly worthwhile. Running with AC/10 + 2 PPCs + LPL + MPL + SRM6 vs. AC/10 + 2 PPCs + LPL + MPL seems like pretty much a wash for performance, despite my desire to use the RT for something.

For amusement, I also tried downgrading to a 300std and slapping in an AC/20 and LRM-15 with 2 PPCs and 2MPLs... that worked pretty nicely, and the wider angles of arm and torso movement continued to shine at lower speeds. I think I'll have to play around with this one a bit to decide if I want to chance the XL for speed, or downgrade to a standard... or maybe compromise somewhere in the middle with a 350std or something.

#95 Solis Obscuri

Don't Care How I Want It Now!

• The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:09 PM

View PostDennis de Koning, on 05 March 2014 - 12:00 PM, said:

You hit the nail right on the head InRev; thanks for doing your homework.

I have to say Dennis, I found a reference to the Dona Marina a bit surprising with the Aztec theme... it saddened me that I didn't have enough characters to name mine "Mictlantecuhtli"... though I did have enough letters for the "other", more colorful nickname for la Dona Marina...

#96 Alex Iglesias

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 131 posts
  • LocationMech Hangar

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:17 PM

View PostInRev, on 04 March 2014 - 05:48 PM, said:

" La Llorona es también uno de los primeros signos del mestizaje, pues es durante este período cuando se identifica en México a este fantasmagórico personaje con doña Marina, la Malinche que vuelve arrepentida a llorar su desgracia, su traición a su pueblo indígena y su relación con Hernán Cortés, como parte de la leyenda negrade estos personajes." http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Llorona Translated and paraphrased, after death La Malinche's remorse for her betrayal of her people and for her relationship with Cortés is so powerful that she is unable to find peace in death and manifests herself as "La Llorona" (meaning the one who cries), a spirit who wanders the land as a crying phantasm (like a banshee). This is actually a very, very clever play by PGI's part on the "banshee" name.

InRev has it.
The reason for the La Malinche name was as follows

1. The notable pilot we were using as the springboard for the design was "El Guapo" from tro 3039
"El Guapo: Known only as “El Guapo,” the commander of the
Errai-based Old Crows Mercenary Company is notorious
for his hard drinking and vicious fi ghting. El Guapo pilots
a customized Banshee, constantly upgraded since its theft
from the Nineteenth Galedon Regulars (an act that precipitated
a feud between the mercs and the Regulars)."

and El Guapo had too much personality in that description, IMO to pass up.

2. The historical/mythical figure of La Malinche ties in with the Llorona myth, which is itself connected to the banshee myth. So yeah.

3. Battletech has a tradition of pilots doing this kind of thing, like that one pilot from the vaguely southwesty cultured Trinity worlds in Camacho's Caballeros merc group who named his mech "skinwalker" which even in the story was looked at as offputting to everyone else. Considering the cultural implications of the term.

4. The other notable pilot with personality was the Oliphant guy with the Jester hat on his banshee, but that idea didn't go very well http://www.camospecs...ntBanshee03.JPG

#97 cSand

• 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:37 PM

Ahh yes the wheels of the overly PC b*****T train continue to turn

Edited by cSand, 05 March 2014 - 12:39 PM.

#98 Cavendish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 410 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:43 PM

View PostAlex Iglesias, on 05 March 2014 - 12:17 PM, said:

InRev has it.
The reason for the La Malinche name was as follows

Thank you for the clarification of the name.

Could I trouble you for an explanation of the decission to let the hero version of the mech have 6 hardpoints instead of the "normal" 8-10? I am probl. sounding like a broken record, but honestly I want to know :P

#99 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:48 PM

View PostLiquid Leopard, on 05 March 2014 - 12:01 PM, said:

If you combine the sounds of "Malinche" and "Banshee", will you now have a "Berrinche"? :lol:

I'd just call it the Llama :P

#100 Grendel408

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:52 PM

You know... I just did some math (which is rare for me, so it's likely off a bit)... but roughly $32 for a Mech? 7100 MCs is steep... I know... I bought my Founder's and Phoenix packages... but for a single Mech? :lol: Here I thought I was just crazy... but that's almost full retail price for a pay-to-play game... :P

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users