#61 FenixK17

• PipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 49 posts
  • LocationArlington, Texas

Posted 04 March 2014 - 06:06 PM

View PostInRev, on 04 March 2014 - 05:48 PM, said:

" La Llorona es también uno de los primeros signos del mestizaje, pues es durante este período cuando se identifica en México a este fantasmagórico personaje con doña Marina, la Malinche que vuelve arrepentida a llorar su desgracia, su traición a su pueblo indígena y su relación con Hernán Cortés, como parte de la leyenda negrade estos personajes."

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Llorona

Translated and paraphrased, after death La Malinche's remorse for her betrayal of her people and for her relationship with Cortés is so powerful that she is unable to find peace in death and manifests herself as "La Llorona" (meaning the one who cries), a spirit who wanders the land as a crying phantasm (like a banshee).

This is actually a very, very clever play by PGI's part on the "banshee" name.

If I didn't see this post, I would never have understood the co-relation between them. Thanks :rolleyes:

The laser on the face looks like the Banshee is into some real kinky stuff. Just saying.

#62 E_Crow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 128 posts
  • LocationSPAAAAAACE!

Posted 04 March 2014 - 06:47 PM

View PostJD LOWE, on 04 March 2014 - 04:40 PM, said:

GREAT JOB!!! You've put out another real money mech, and directx 11. Maybe you should have used that time, and manpower to fix this game so it works the way it is supposed to . Hire new people and go do something else

In case you haven't noticed, they have been attempting to hire new people for quite some time.

It's people like you who make me sick. When they release a new mech you scream Oh, you should listen to the community and focus on the game play not new mechs!!
But if they were to focus on the game play and not release a new mech you scream Oh, you need to listen to your community and release more mechs!!
If you have so many issues with this excellent game, DON'T PLAY IT!

#63 Alik Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 406 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 04 March 2014 - 07:16 PM

Looked this up too and was surprised... drug cartels like crap like this... makes them feel all macho.

View PostAlex Wolfe, on 04 March 2014 - 11:48 AM, said:

I'd love to know what's the reasoning that La Malinche, an "interpreter, advisor, lover and intermediary for Hernán Cortés", thus an accomplice - willing or otherwise - to genocide, should be an inspiration for a hero mech.

Yen Lo Wang, a Chinese-themed mech sporting the colors of the Imperial Japanese Army was one thing - it's a lapsus of an earlier picture recreated in MWO, regrettable and somewhat insensitive, but explainable. This, however, is a wholly new creation. Why would you invoke Malintzin, a controversial figure often seen as a symbol of race treachery, in your game?

Actually glorifing something like that runs parallel to glorifying the aggressors of other wonderful periods of human history...

View PostSenior Knight Steele, on 04 March 2014 - 12:50 PM, said:

With all due respect, (and I mean that,) I think that's silly, politically correct.... stuff. To put it nicely. You've got to work pretty hard to be offended by this. :rolleyes:

The mech looks cool, although I'm wondering what kind of keyboard-fu you'll have to do to use all of those different weapons efficiently. We shall see.

They have given great thought to this one maybe next one will be German...

View PostIron Harlequin, on 04 March 2014 - 02:24 PM, said:

So... you named it after a woman who helped the Spanish conquer & slaughter the Aztecs?

Also: Pardon my crappy paint skills but what is this?

Posted Image

There's two images (on top of eachother) of the mech on the picture feed.

Edited by Alik Kerensky, 04 March 2014 - 07:17 PM.

#64 Scop

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 07:18 PM

Posted Image

Edited by Scop, 04 March 2014 - 07:41 PM.

#65 KovarD

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 473 posts
  • LocationRio de Janeiro

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:17 PM

Did PGI fired the video editor of the old hero mechs.

This new promotional video just looks bad.

Just compare with Pretty Baby video, the quality is from another level:

#66 GalaxyBluestar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,748 posts
  • Location...

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:41 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#67 Daekar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:12 PM

Love the name and the wandering restless betrayer spirit play on words. Also like the shot from the promo video that is at ground level - it really showed the scale of the much in a way that other shots in other videos don't. It looked humongous!

I'm not an assault much guy, but this mech passes the "cool stuff" test for me. :-)

#68 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:31 PM

" La Llorona es también uno de los primeros signos del mestizaje, pues es durante este período cuando se identifica en México a este fantasmagórico personaje con doña Marina, la Malinche que vuelve arrepentida a llorar su desgracia, su traición a su pueblo indígena y su relación con Hernán Cortés, como parte de la leyenda negrade estos personajes."

Translated and paraphrased, after death La Malinche's remorse for her betrayal of her people and for her relationship with Cortés is so powerful that she is unable to find peace in death and manifests herself as "La Llorona" (meaning the one who cries), a spirit who wanders the land as a crying phantasm (like a banshee).

That actually is rather clever.

Thanks for pointing that out. :rolleyes:

#69 627

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:00 AM

Best thing in the vid are those indestructible trees where the mech just clips through...

#70 John MatriX82

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,398 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:37 AM

hmm hardpoint layout is similar to other heroes with only 1B and 1M.. but this ain't as good as the other cbill variants, 3E and 3S are fairly more interesting imho.

#71 Cavendish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 410 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:48 AM

The 6 hardpoints are terribad. Look, the E and M variants have 8 hardpoints each, the S variant has 10.

Add this to the original presentation text about it comming with JJ´s (which normaly means less hardpoints) its pretty obvious it was meant to have JJ´s, they threw them out due to not getting the P2W whining and missed/forgot/didn´t care about it.

I have one (yes, Im an idiot and a collector) but this needs to be corrected.

Edit; You can actually SEE where the missing hardpoints are on the right torso.

Edited by Cavendish, 05 March 2014 - 01:50 AM.

#72 Alex Wolfe

• 2,359 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:15 AM

Except that the mech isn't called "La Llorona", a ghost indeed parallel to a Banshee, but who has several folk tale-identities, of which Malintzin is but one interpretation. It's clearly called "La Malinche" - after an actual and very controversial person. Perhaps there were some well-meaning intentions, botched by poor execution once more and making the whole thing look bad.

It seems the cultural sensitivities - or insensitivities of the original BattleTech are alive and well in 2014's MWO.

Edited by Alex Wolfe, 05 March 2014 - 03:17 AM.

#73 Novalov

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 25 posts
  • LocationTannhauser Gate

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:17 AM

Was in a drop today where a player of the opfor had just bought a La Malinche mech. I'm not sure what if anything was changed on it after he bought it but I wound up one on one alone against it and well, tore it to pieces (I'm average at MWO I guess and was driving a Highlander with 2 UAC5'S, 2 LL and 1 ARTY-LRM 15. nothing special) I have read a lot of people are disappointed by the load out and I would think this played a part. I was expecting more given the cost in MC for it.

#74 Laconicus

• PipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 37 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:47 AM

Thanks to all the posters, one thing can be said for sure that no release or update goes through without scrutiny. I am in the process of considering buying one and the robust discussions always brings out all the points good and bad. That's not a bad thing too, intelligent discussion about pro's and con's is one of the primary functions of forums. Too the posters that just got out its crap, the games crap and the companies crap. I give you a virtual big hug I am sorry the world has been so cruel to you and hope tommorrow is full of sunshine and rainbows. Though if you want to improve anything some constructive what too's are great.....but the suggestion to insert anything into anything else is not either so dont lead off with that.

Edited by Laconicus, 05 March 2014 - 03:48 AM.

#75 Morang

• 1,259 posts
  • LocationHeart of Darkness

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:12 AM

I like that flame war and whine of anti-freedom-of-speech crowd. "If it's "controversial", it's worse than Adolf! Four legs good, two legs bad!". I'm looking forward to see the petitions to rename color "black" into "non-reflective grey", because word have a negative racial connotations. I think PGI should've named their Firestarter Hero Zippocat - just to see the conflagration on forums. Cultural sensitivities, my gosh! CULTURAL SENSITIVITIES in a game set in dystopian universe devastated by millenia of nuclear wars, ruled by oppressive military governments, roamed by ruthless mercenaries and invaded by genetically refined natci who practice eugenics and intra-family sexual acts on everyday basis. LOL.

Edited by Morang, 05 March 2014 - 04:13 AM.

#76 JSmith7784

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 139 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:15 AM

Thank you PGI for releasing a new mech. I like the progress you're making and have high hopes for the future.

To all the trolls who complain every time PGI does anything you can always go play something else. This is a solid game and has been improving with each patch. Nothing is perfect and they are trying to make it better. Post like a whining child isn't go to fix anything.

Oh and to those who see this mech as racist or offensive you need to get off your podium and join the real world. If you're so easily offended you should never watch TV or go on the internet and lock yourself in your hypersensitive easily offended little world. Research the name and understand the meaning before reading the first wiki you find and flipping out.

That is all. Thanks again PGI for the hard work and effort.

#77 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:02 AM

View PostInnerSphereNews, on 04 March 2014 - 09:51 AM, said:

The unique “La Malinche” variant is a powerful war machine, and with the Aztec-inspired art of old Terra, she is both as beautiful, as she is deadly.
All this, combined with an Endo-Steel Internal Structure, and over 17 tons of Standard Armor, makes “La Malinche” a force to be reckoned with.

A good advertisement - lucky its not a product for health and Canada is not the EU.... otherwise they would have broken the law:
If this Banshee is powerfull - i have to ask myself - what the heck is my AS7-K?

Even in comparison of beauty - my AS7-K beats that frankensteins monster.

Last not least - since the introduction of ECM - i never have heard that the AS7-K is a force you have to reckoned with.

#78 InRev

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,236 posts
  • LocationConnecticut, USA

Posted 05 March 2014 - 07:27 AM

View PostAlex Wolfe, on 05 March 2014 - 03:15 AM, said:

Except that the mech isn't called "La Llorona", a ghost indeed parallel to a Banshee, but who has several folk tale-identities, of which Malintzin is but one interpretation. It's clearly called "La Malinche" - after an actual and very controversial person. Perhaps there were some well-meaning intentions, botched by poor execution once more and making the whole thing look bad.

It seems the cultural sensitivities - or insensitivities of the original BattleTech are alive and well in 2014's MWO.

Except the point of the legend is that she is penitent. The indigenous people of Mexico, the very people who suffered the worst of la conquista are those who adopted the legend of La Llorona as a way to reclaim the identity of La Malinche. In other words, the use of the historic character in this context creates both a sense of justice (she will never find peace in death) and also builds a sentiment of tragedy for she has realized the great cost of what she has done. Personally, I find it to be rather poetic. Who doesn't love a story of penance?

Furthermore, La Malinche, though vilified, is also recognized as one of the progenitors of mestizaje, a racial and cultural phenomenon that has always been important in the literature, culture, poetry and music of Mexico. Even to this day, she is a controversial figure, one that is neither universally reviled, nor adored. One must not assume that everyone agrees with one's own interpretation of her historical role. Nothing about la conquista is that black and white.

Above all, f the mere incorporation of the Mech into this silly game has gotten people talking and has caused some people to become informed of a topic that is often neglected or simply unknown, then that is even better! Dialogue is always better than censorship.

#79 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:18 AM

View PostScop, on 04 March 2014 - 07:18 PM, said:

Posted Image

Awesome, but it works even better if you use "Ilya Muromets" :P

#80 Kaos Amalgam

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 8 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationHuntley

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:20 AM

View PostEdward Mattlov, on 04 March 2014 - 05:22 PM, said:

So, people are not being allowed to play this game because of their race? There are three "ethnic" themed hero mechs, are these mechs designed specifically to make people of those ethnicities feel bad about themselves, or feel intimidated? Please rethink your comments.

howbout you rethink yours. Using a chinese mech with a japanese flag paintjob is highly offensive because historically U.S Americans have bundled up all asians as being "the same".

And La Malinche actually DOES alienate some of my mexican friends that play this game. they feel awkward every time they see one in a match.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users