Jump to content

Dual Gauss Or Dual Ac20 Mech


72 replies to this topic

#41 Veranova

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • 541 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 10 March 2014 - 03:52 AM

View PostTACITVS, on 08 March 2014 - 02:44 AM, said:

Dualgauss and DualAC builds are for n00bs who need cheap and easy kills but lack the skill to play fair.
Having said that: It is damn easy to rack up 900+ damage with dualgauss and getting lots of kills as well. But is that really fun? This is actually what kills the game: high pinpoint damage weapons/loadouts that can kill or cripple most mechs in a single alpha ....

Doesn't change the fact that they're incredibly fun builds.

Shouts of noob are ridiculous if they criminalise a whole set of fun and effective playstyles.
Jagers are very fragile anyway, so real noobs would really struggle to make them work.

#42 Peter2k

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,007 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationWuppertal - Germany

Posted 10 March 2014 - 04:34 AM

It's a fun build, and boy do I bring cash back home with it

But saying that's a noob build is rather odd
I mean you're everyone's favorite target right there, runs hot, you have to make you're shots count, Jagers are rather fragile, everyone loves to go for the sides hoping for xl (and are right), if you use std than u get meta'd to death by hopping PPC/AC something's, or a rain of LRM 100 comes down on ya

It's far from being easy, u have to know where to set up, where the enemy is, you're pug group, if you're mates decide to chase that lone Jenner and leave you alone
Lights seem to think they have it easy against you, but I noticed a new trend with light this last weeks or so, run a std engine (be slow) and just stand there for me to line my shots up nice and easy
That almost feels like I'm cheated out of a good hunt
Actually brought the AC40 out in 12's and did rather well with it considering(was for giggles anyway)

#43 990Dreams

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 10 March 2014 - 05:46 AM

View PostJigglyMoobs, on 09 March 2014 - 06:55 PM, said:

doesn't help you when your ammo explodes.


Maybe you misunderstood me. I haven't taken 1 pt. of damage from ammo explosions on my (CASEd) Jager. Ever.

#44 YT Shidy

    Member

  • Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 06:34 AM

I prefer to set my Firebrand with 2 Gauss Rifle, it's awesome (and with 2 Med Lasers, ...).
But it's because I'm playing it in team drops, otherwise I consider that the dual AC/20 is probably better in pug drops.

#45 Peter2k

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,007 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationWuppertal - Germany

Posted 10 March 2014 - 07:33 AM

View PostYT Shidy, on 10 March 2014 - 06:34 AM, said:

I prefer to set my Firebrand with 2 Gauss Rifle, it's awesome (and with 2 Med Lasers, ...).
But it's because I'm playing it in team drops, otherwise I consider that the dual AC/20 is probably better in pug drops.


I tried it, even if only for the high travel speed, no leading a mech any more (well compared to lame ac20)
But the charging sound is so silent now, and the window so small, and most of the time I missed those additional 10 dmg

#46 Fang01

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 993 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 10 March 2014 - 07:43 AM

View PostPeter2k, on 10 March 2014 - 04:34 AM, said:

It's a fun build, and boy do I bring cash back home with it

But saying that's a noob build is rather odd
I mean you're everyone's favorite target right there, runs hot, you have to make you're shots count, Jagers are rather fragile, everyone loves to go for the sides hoping for xl (and are right), if you use std than u get meta'd to death by hopping PPC/AC something's, or a rain of LRM 100 comes down on ya

It's far from being easy, u have to know where to set up, where the enemy is, you're pug group, if you're mates decide to chase that lone Jenner and leave you alone
Lights seem to think they have it easy against you, but I noticed a new trend with light this last weeks or so, run a std engine (be slow) and just stand there for me to line my shots up nice and easy
That almost feels like I'm cheated out of a good hunt
Actually brought the AC40 out in 12's and did rather well with it considering(was for giggles anyway)


At least thats one place where the 3/3/3/3 will be nice....

#47 Peter2k

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,007 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationWuppertal - Germany

Posted 10 March 2014 - 07:47 AM

View PostKhajja nar Jatargk, on 10 March 2014 - 07:43 AM, said:


At least thats one place where the 3/3/3/3 will be nice....


Actually I build my dual ac20 when I was running into at least 3 dual ac20's myself, so I was beating them up with they're own tactics

And yes, I hope that that setup(3/3/3/3) might reduce the cheese a bit
Although well have to see how that's gonna work, cuz some players are realy bad in one weightclass, but shine in another
So I might end up playing more in one role than if like to, only because another can't be used in something different

Back to topic:
I like to dedicate all tonnage to armor, engine size or ammo on my AC40, 2 medium lasers are 14 shots worth of ammo, or, what like 5kph more speed(engine size)

Since you're new, also remember to take some armor of the back and put it in front, you're more agile with an xl anyway, but remember that experimenting too much with xl-engines can make u poor in no time (e.g. Use smurfy)

Edited by Peter2k, 10 March 2014 - 08:08 AM.


#48 Buckminster

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 10 March 2014 - 09:13 AM

View Postwanderer, on 09 March 2014 - 05:33 PM, said:


*golfclap*

Right now, it's high risk (no armor, no speed) for high reward. That being said, Yes, it's fun. But odds are with the hollering over ballistics, they'll eventually end up burst-fire rather than single hit, full damage weapons...and be less rewarding, at which point people will likely mount AC/20 + some decent secondary weapons.

If you want an alternative- and be warned, SRMs are not Working As Intended:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...62705d77fadebab

That'll make a respectable impression on most targets. A slower, cheaper version can be made with Endo Steel and a standard 270-rated engine, though you lose two heat sinks in the process, or a slower still 230 engine will give you the sinks and CASE to go with it without using Endo Steel, but then you're moving about as fast as a normal Boomjager (although better armored than most).

I tried a similar build (looking for something that makes the missile slots of the -A worthwhile) and it was terrible. The numbers look good on paper, but what I found was that the missiles suffered in 3 ways: not working as intended, they spread, and they have a hard range cap. I'd rather just take the AC40.

#49 Amsro

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,363 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 10 March 2014 - 09:45 AM

View PostBuckminster, on 10 March 2014 - 09:13 AM, said:

I tried a similar build (looking for something that makes the missile slots of the -A worthwhile) and it was terrible. The numbers look good on paper, but what I found was that the missiles suffered in 3 ways: not working as intended, they spread, and they have a hard range cap. I'd rather just take the AC40.


It would need Artemis to even be considered. Even then, might be dead before you get within 300 meters. :angry:

#50 Commander Binz

    Member

  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationNZ - Lagshield Heaven

Posted 10 March 2014 - 12:48 PM

View PostShinVector, on 10 March 2014 - 03:47 AM, said:


Posted Image



Nice shot dude :angry:

#51 ShinVector

    Liao Mercenary

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 05:02 PM

View PostBuckminster, on 10 March 2014 - 09:13 AM, said:

I tried a similar build (looking for something that makes the missile slots of the -A worthwhile) and it was terrible. The numbers look good on paper, but what I found was that the missiles suffered in 3 ways: not working as intended, they spread, and they have a hard range cap. I'd rather just take the AC40.


Yeah... AC40 for my Jager A as well.. I believe those arm tissue boxes are useful for shielding your side torsos during brawls.

#52 Flak Kannon

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 576 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 05:07 PM

Hi Homer,

I have built and played both.

Once you learn the flow of battle with a Dual Gauss, almost nothing kills faster.

But AC40 is a hoot from time to time.


I have a AC20, AC10, 5ML FireBrand that does really well, or swap out the 5 ML and go with one ERLL...This one is wicked, altho its rather squishy with an XL225. Know your engagement position and don't over commit. Swooping in with AC30 and no heat penalty I think is a bit more sustainable over 15 seconds than a AC40. 5 small pulse lasers are fun to run also...


I have a UAC5 x 4 Jager with a XL225 and 60% of max armor... that one also kills VERY fast, you just need to pick your targets closely, as you have only .. perhaps, 210 round, maybe 240 rounds.. Enough to get 3-5 kills before ammo is gone. Ignore lights. Kill only Heavys and Assaults. You have little to offer besides being a pocket battleship.... I enjoy that one from time to time..

Another fun build is a an AC2 x 5 Jager DD. Runs Hot! Slap a XL225 and ~600 rounds. Runs REALLY HOT, but with trigger control, but, at times, you can suppress the WHOLE map, allowing teammates to move in. Ignore lights. Did I mention it runs HOT?

I have a K2 that has 3 ML, 1 AC20, 1ERPPC, and a STD 245 engine. Its very hardy and hits at all range profiles. That one is fun to. But kinda slow. Hang with the Stalkers and Atlas.


But my Dual Gauss kills second best only behind my Ilya with 3UC5's and 3ML.



ENJOI

#53 80sGlamRockSensation David Bowie

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,971 posts
  • LocationThe Island

Posted 11 March 2014 - 06:07 PM

View PostCommander Homer, on 07 March 2014 - 10:52 PM, said:

Hello,

I'm looking to use a dual gauss or dual AC20 mech, but I'm not sure what to pick. 2 medium lasers would be nice, too. I know the Katapult, Jaeger, and I think Cataphract can do it. Ideally my mech would have a standard engine, but I'm not sure if that's feasible. Can anyone please make a suggestion as to what I should get?

Thanks!



A very simple decision actually. What pair of weapon systems are you more comfortable in?

-Both can be done on a more durable STD engine (slower) or XL (moar speed!)
-Dual Gauss makes for a deadly sniper, with less effectiveness at close range
-Dual AC20 makes for a deadly brawler, with less effective range


<Insert Generic Jager Build Base>

With this common setup, you can swap in either build, or possibly a pair of mLas depending on how much ammo you need to get through a match. For a STD engine build. I'd recommend swapping out the engine for say a STD220+1DHS

Bare in mind, if you don't find one build favorable, they are easily swapped out for the other. Just reduce number of ammo or Heatsinks. The only real difference in the build is ammo placement and 2 tons (each Gauss rifle is 1 ton heavier). Its usually recommended to 'crit pad' the Gauss Rifles with their inert ammo, and hide the AC20 as it is a standard explosive ammo.


Happy Hunting!

<S>

Edited by mwhighlander, 11 March 2014 - 06:38 PM.


#54 ShinVector

    Liao Mercenary

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 06:32 PM

View Postmwhighlander, on 11 March 2014 - 06:07 PM, said:

-Dual Gauss makes for a deadly sniper, with less effectiveness at range


Think you meant 'with less effectiveness at CLOSE range.'
Still a yes and no to me... The slow re-fire rate might kill you yep.. But the real issue is poor hit reg once a decently fast mech start circling you.

#55 WarLiege

    Member

  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 March 2014 - 06:47 PM

View PostTACITVS, on 08 March 2014 - 02:44 AM, said:

Dualgauss and DualAC builds are for n00bs who need cheap and easy kills but lack the skill to play fair.
Having said that: It is damn easy to rack up 900+ damage with dualgauss and getting lots of kills as well. But is that really fun? This is actually what kills the game: high pinpoint damage weapons/loadouts that can kill or cripple most mechs in a single alpha ....

Haha yes..I do not think it will ruin the gameplay though ..They will get called out like any other damage dealer mech and be dealt with accordingly..Their fun will last for only so long, one or two maps maybe, until small group of brawler mechs hunt them down and remove them. Then we get to see how fast they can make their High Damage dealing mech run away in opposite direction ;)

Edited by WarLiege, 11 March 2014 - 06:52 PM.


#56 JigglyMoobs

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 03:35 PM

View Postmwhighlander, on 11 March 2014 - 06:07 PM, said:



A very simple decision actually. What pair of weapon systems are you more comfortable in?

-Both can be done on a more durable STD engine (slower) or XL (moar speed!)
-Dual Gauss makes for a deadly sniper, with less effectiveness at close range
-Dual AC20 makes for a deadly brawler, with less effective range


<Insert Generic Jager Build Base>

With this common setup, you can swap in either build, or possibly a pair of mLas depending on how much ammo you need to get through a match. For a STD engine build. I'd recommend swapping out the engine for say a STD220+1DHS

Bare in mind, if you don't find one build favorable, they are easily swapped out for the other. Just reduce number of ammo or Heatsinks. The only real difference in the build is ammo placement and 2 tons (each Gauss rifle is 1 ton heavier). Its usually recommended to 'crit pad' the Gauss Rifles with their inert ammo, and hide the AC20 as it is a standard explosive ammo.


Happy Hunting!

<S>


Yep, I do the exact same thing! Great minds think alike! ;)

#57 JigglyMoobs

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 03:44 PM

View PostShinVector, on 10 March 2014 - 03:47 AM, said:


Challenge posted to the Jiggle to perform the following trick shot.
Pay close attention to the Jenner's head.

I 'meant' to do that.
Posted Image



Posted Image

Edited by JigglyMoobs, 12 March 2014 - 04:57 PM.


#58 JigglyMoobs

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 04:58 PM

View PostShinVector, on 10 March 2014 - 03:47 AM, said:


Challenge posted to the Jiggle to perform the following trick shot.


I did it possibly? :D ;)



#59 JigglyMoobs

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 05:02 PM

View PostWANTED, on 09 March 2014 - 07:58 PM, said:

I've run both AC 40 and Dual Gauss on my Jager-S. I have preferred the dual gauss lately for the range and it really makes anything back up behind cover after one 30 point hit. Great for really picking off Assault and heavy mechs legs as well. Then for real spite, put an Arty right on em..lol


2:50 ;)


Edited by JigglyMoobs, 12 March 2014 - 05:02 PM.


#60 ShinVector

    Liao Mercenary

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 06:02 PM

View PostJigglyMoobs, on 12 March 2014 - 04:58 PM, said:


I did it possibly? :lol: :D



Nice shot... But AC40 doesn't count.. ;)





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users