Developer Q&A 1

213 replies to this topic

#181 Sidra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 11:54 AM

Okay this is kind of a important question and I really would like to see a answer. It was stated before that people could enter a match still damage (say they didn't have enough cbills to repair fully), then it would be possible a game could be one sided with one team having a bunch of 25% health mechs while the other team is at full repair. Could you not make it where if someone looses a match they at least make enough to fully repair?

#182 Don Juan Delanooch

Rookie

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1 posts
  • LocationNarnia

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:23 AM

Question for the Devs- Will there be access to the Madcat(all-time Fave!)?

#183 Quellor

Rookie

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 5 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:00 PM

Question: Not sure what I'll be getting with founder packages and don't even know if I will like the gameplay. If I buy the veteran, can I upgrade my founder package later?

Edited by Quellor, 10 August 2012 - 08:09 PM.

#184 TheBrains

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:08 AM

I need to know if my favorite mechs will be online. They are the Grizzly and the Kodiak. Will they be online? This is the hinge that my founder package swings on.

#185 Bigtimebatman

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 01:33 PM

thankyou so much it is well worth the time to take a look at the forums and read

#186 Dimko123

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 08:24 AM

Thank you to the author for access to the beta

#187 BourbonBoi

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:09 AM

Having been a long time fan of the whole Mech universe I read the books played pen and paper with miniatures participated in multiplyer ranked clan drop battles I am thrilled to see this come out and quite ready to drop the cash and become a top tier founder however I have one or two questions only.
I lost track of the development of the game, this version is all new to me last I heard of was mechwarrior living legends a mod for crysis. Is that affiliated with this will I need a copy of crysis to get the engine needed to run it or will the engine all be included in the download of MWO??
-Double_Helix-
Thanks for any additional info and looking forward to seeing you on the battlefield

#188 builderx1000

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:10 AM

About the new upgrades...
The upgrade for the mech "skeleton" has the title: "Endo-Steel Internal Structure"
That doesn't make much sense. Endo means internal. So its Internal-Steel Internal Structure?
Maybe it should be more like Steel Alloy Internal Structure or Titanium-Steel Internal Structure.
Just a thought.

Edited by builderx1000, 09 November 2012 - 01:12 AM.

#189 Ceribus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 230 posts
  • LocationVancouver Canada

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:14 AM

View Postbuilderx1000, on 09 November 2012 - 01:10 AM, said:

About the new upgrades...
The upgrade for the mech "skeleton" has the title: "Endo-Steel Internal Structure"
That doesn't make much sense. Endo means internal. So its Internal-Steel Internal Structure?
Maybe it should be more like Steel Alloy Internal Structure or Titanium-Steel Internal Structure.
Just a thought.

Endo steel is a term from the Battle tech lore ( http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Endo_Steel )The name came from the fact that this alloy was specifically designed and manufacture for the internal structure of mechs

so I don't see them changing it any time soon .... and if they did a good chunk of the player base would probably go nuts

Edited by Ceribus, 09 November 2012 - 07:15 AM.

#190 Lypse

Rookie

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:02 PM

How many players are quitting because of ECM?

#191 ltwally

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 420 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:22 PM

View PostLypse, on 27 December 2012 - 04:02 PM, said:

How many players are quitting because of ECM?

I stopped playing due to ECM. I will monitor, and possibly resume if/when PGI nerfs it down to levels comparable with other electronics.

As it is, ECM effects far too many systems, and effects them far too powerfully. For a piece of equipment that only weighs 1.5 tonnes, its worth should be highly conditional, not game-breakingly awesome.

#192 Xander Pappyson

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationCONUS

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:18 PM

View Postltwally, on 27 December 2012 - 08:22 PM, said:

I stopped playing due to ECM. I will monitor, and possibly resume if/when PGI nerfs it down to levels comparable with other electronics.

As it is, ECM effects far too many systems, and effects them far too powerfully. For a piece of equipment that only weighs 1.5 tonnes, its worth should be highly conditional, not game-breakingly awesome.

I have adapted. So can you. Honestly it is not as bad a when they first introduced Artemis. I am sure it will get nerfed a little and extending the range on the TAG has helped a lot IMHO. Play man Play. LOL

Edited by Xander Pappyson, 28 December 2012 - 03:19 PM.

#193 CompproB237

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:24 PM

ECM != Bullet shield
Seriously, I barely noticed it. At first it was annoying seeing 4-man groups of all ECM ravens/commandos especially with the current netcode build but once you figured it out it isn't that hard to deal with. TAG helps with this even more now that it's range is 750m.

#194 Daggett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,244 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:08 AM

View PostXander Pappyson, on 28 December 2012 - 03:18 PM, said:

I have adapted. So can you. Honestly it is not as bad a when they first introduced Artemis. I am sure it will get nerfed a little and extending the range on the TAG has helped a lot IMHO. Play man Play. LOL

Thats not a point.
Sure you can adapt to everthing and L2P better.

BUT adapting to a broken mechanic does not make it less broken. ;)

Imagine PGI would double the dmg of AK20.
Sure you can play around it by staying out of range, but it would still be OP.

ECM simply has too many gamechanging features without drawbacks. Thats why people are complaining.

And regarding Artemis:
It was OP on release because it was bugged. Now it works as intended and with the recent nerf that you need LOS to get the bonus, it is totally fair now. It is not an auto-include currently and therefore totally ok.

ECM on the other hand is an auto-include. There is no configuration possible that will work better without ECM.
Thats why it is broken. It is simply too powerful for it's cost.

#195 ltwally

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 420 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:49 AM

View PostXander Pappyson, on 28 December 2012 - 03:18 PM, said:

Human beings can adapt to damn near anything.

The question is how much are you willing to stomach. Turns out, watching one little (1.5 tonne) piece of equipment routinely shape the battle and determine who wins and who loses is a breaking point for me. It's disgusting, and it's un-fun.

So, no. I will not simply adapt to whatever piece of garbage PGI rolls out.

They'll either learn to roll things out intelligently, to not break the game, to not wreck people's fun on a whim. Or they'll lose me. And I will not be alone.

Voting with your patronage is really the only way you have to influence a corporation.

So, no. I will not adapt.

#196 Xander Pappyson

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationCONUS

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:29 PM

View PostDaggett, on 29 December 2012 - 05:08 AM, said:

Thats not a point.
Sure you can adapt to everthing and L2P better.

BUT adapting to a broken mechanic does not make it less broken. :)

Imagine PGI would double the dmg of AK20.
Sure you can play around it by staying out of range, but it would still be OP.

ECM simply has too many gamechanging features without drawbacks. Thats why people are complaining.

And regarding Artemis:
It was OP on release because it was bugged. Now it works as intended and with the recent nerf that you need LOS to get the bonus, it is totally fair now. It is not an auto-include currently and therefore totally ok.

ECM on the other hand is an auto-include. There is no configuration possible that will work better without ECM.
Thats why it is broken. It is simply too powerful for it's cost.

View Postltwally, on 29 December 2012 - 08:49 AM, said:

Human beings can adapt to damn near anything.

The question is how much are you willing to stomach. Turns out, watching one little (1.5 tonne) piece of equipment routinely shape the battle and determine who wins and who loses is a breaking point for me. It's disgusting, and it's un-fun.

So, no. I will not simply adapt to whatever piece of garbage PGI rolls out.

They'll either learn to roll things out intelligently, to not break the game, to not wreck people's fun on a whim. Or they'll lose me. And I will not be alone.

Voting with your patronage is really the only way you have to influence a corporation.

So, no. I will not adapt.

Wow. Did you guys go on strike when the Gauss cat showed up, and when streaks were all the rage. Were you some of the guy that got collisions turned off. (That was a weak move by the way), or insisted on 4 man max matchmaking? ECM is a challenge I agree but quitting because you can't play with it, really? What's that called... weak sauce. So if you guys are on strike because of ECM so be it. Instead of QQ'ing how about suggesting what a "1.5 ton" piece of equipment should do in your humble opinion. If you have already, good, but then why bring up this QQ post. I mean honestly how did it affect your game play. Are you both LRM boat drivers, or where you both streak Cat extraordinaire. My point is that some near OP builds took a hit with ECM and that was a good thing. Most everyone else has adapted quite nicely. As I stated earlier TAG has made many an ECM bubba an unhappy camper. ECM itself has really brought back some of the role specifics to the game dynamics. That is just my opinion and I am entitled to mine as you are to yours. Good Day Sirs.

Edited by Xander Pappyson, 29 December 2012 - 03:30 PM.

#197 ltwally

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 420 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:37 PM

View PostXander Pappyson, on 29 December 2012 - 03:29 PM, said:

Wow. Did you guys go on strike when the Gauss cat showed up, and when streaks were all the rage. Were you some of the guy that got collisions turned off. (That was a weak move by the way), or insisted on 4 man max matchmaking?

None of that was anywhere near as radically game-changing / breaking as ECM.

It's not exactly apples vs oranges. It's more like comparing one dog-biscuit against an entire pile.

ECM is a challenge I agree but quitting because you can't play with it, really? What's that called... weak sauce. So if you guys are on strike because of ECM so be it.

If you don't like a game, don't play it.

If a game is altered to the point when you no longer find it fun, don't play it.

Voting with our patronage is really the only way we have to effect PGI's attitude.

I'm letting them know that if they roll out garbage like this, I won't even play for free -- let alone contribute my hard-earned dollars to this game.

That's not "weak-sauce".

Instead of QQ'ing how about suggesting what a "1.5 ton" piece of equipment should do in your humble opinion. If you have already, good, but then why bring up this QQ post.

If you bothered to check, you'd see that we have.

I mean honestly how did it affect your game play. Are you both LRM boat drivers, or where you both streak Cat extraordinaire. My point is that some near OP builds took a hit with ECM and that was a good thing.

There's so little intelligence here I'm going to skip it entirely.

Most everyone else has adapted quite nicely.

Have you not been following the forums? Seems like there's as much rage over ECM as there has been about anything else, and quite a bit more.

As I stated earlier TAG has made many an ECM bubba an unhappy camper.

First off, that just proves that ECM is over-powered, when anyone with LRMs needs to now purchase TAG so that they can actually use their weapons.

Secondly, ECM has way too much going for it, as has been well posted by both myself and a lot of other folks. So... yeah. Not wasting my time re-typing that just so you can ignore it.

ECM itself has really brought back some of the role specifics to the game dynamics.

Hate to break it to you, fella, but ECM had the exact opposite effect. You're pretty much the only one that seems to feel as you do.

#198 Xander Pappyson

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationCONUS

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:36 PM

Pulled from patch notes – 1.1.161 – 04/12/2012…

ECM is here and personally I can’t wait to ruin some streak cats day with this excellent piece of equipment. I am going to be honest with you ECM is a game changer so let us know how you feel about ECM on the forums because lately I think you guys have been holding back and not telling us how you really feel.

So tell me good Sir Itwally, How do you define “game changer”? I think what they have done with ECM is a pretty good definition. Otherwise they would not have used “game changer”. Right? Even you said....

None of that was anywhere near as radically game-changing / breaking as ECM.

I am sorry you feel it is broken. I will again agree it needs a minor nerf, but i will reiterate ECM was a welcomed addition by those of us who paid in support of the game, and those still playing the game.

If you care, which I can assume you don't. There are at least five things I would like to see before they address ECM.

Netcode
FPS bug
Yellow screen
Black screen
Direct X 11
SLI
metagame
UI mechlab tweaks
fuzzy dice
decals

Oh..did I say five I meant ten. The last two I threw in just for kicks, but that is how much I care about the ECM OP at the moment.

P.S.

First off, that just proves that ECM is over-powered, when anyone with LRMs needs to now purchase TAG so that they can actually use their weapons.

I knew you were an LRM guy.

Thank you for the debate, however, this will be my last post on this mater. We have each provided our opinion, and I have nothing else to say. Unless, that is, you would like to talk about the "Big Rocks" that I mentioned above.

#199 ltwally

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 420 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:39 PM

View PostXander Pappyson, on 29 December 2012 - 06:36 PM, said:

Pulled from patch notes – 1.1.161 – 04/12/2012…

ECM is here and personally I can’t wait to ruin some streak cats day with this excellent piece of equipment. I am going to be honest with you ECM is a game changer so let us know how you feel about ECM on the forums because lately I think you guys have been holding back and not telling us how you really feel.

So tell me good Sir Itwally, How do you define “game changer”? I think what they have done with ECM is a pretty good definition. Otherwise they would not have used “game changer”. Right? Even you said....

I'm not sure what your point is. That PGI has made another ill-thought decision? That they've unleashed yet another over-powered item, instead of doing things in a sane manner; staring low and then ramping upwards?

Just because it's purposeful does not make it good, or intelligent.

I am sorry you feel it is broken. I will again agree it needs a minor nerf, but i will reiterate ECM was a welcomed addition by those of us who paid in support of the game, and those still playing the game.

You really seem to want to draw me out, instead of reading what I (and a lot of others) have already posted. But I'll humour you.

ECM weighs 1.5 tonnes, takes up 2 slots, generates no heat and requires no ammunition. For that, it:
  • counters/disrupts/negates Artemis
  • counters/disrupts/negates Beagle
  • counters/disrupts/negates Narc
  • sharply shortens sensor range
  • limits sensors to line-of-sight only
  • denies missile lock, completely nerfing LRM and S-SRM, unless you purchase further equipment (TAG), which is a direct-fire tool that consumes a laser slot and weighs 1 tonne.
  • is better anti-missile protection than an anti-missile system, a tool that does require ammo and thus can run out of ammo or suffer an ammunition explosion.
For 1.5 tonnes, ECM has far reaching and drastic effects on the game. 90+% of the time, the team with ECM wins against the team without ECM. No single piece of equipment should have such drastic effects on game-play and balance, let alone one that only weighs 1.5 tonnes.

When we get to light mechs, the problem only becomes worse. Right now, no light mech without ECM can stand up to one with ECM, and a light mech with ECM is far safer against larger, more heavily armed mechs than they should be.

ECM is doing way more in MW:O than it does in TT. Every other piece of equipment (Artemis, Beagle, Narc, Tag) have situational uses. None of them are no-brainers, that everyone wants. This is not true with ECM. It's just pure awesome.

Anyone with a lick of sense and a drop of intelligence can see it's vastly overpowered in relation to any other piece of equipment to the point of being quite broken.

Sure, it solved the S-SRM problem. I guess PGI's dev's don't have to spent any time/thought working on how to balance S-SRM against itself, now... not when it's made irrelevant by ECM. Except, of course, by ECM wielding mechs. Ooops.

If you care, which I can assume you don't. There are at least five things I would like to see before they address ECM.

blah blah blah

P.S.

I knew you were an LRM guy.

Incorrect. Not a one of my mechs has LRM. Not before ECM, and certainly not now. And only one of my mechs has S-SRM. (And, no, it's not a streak-cat.)

As to the bug-list... I can stomach honest bugs. They're to be expected from a beta. But this is something else. PGI intentionally released ECM in a retardedly over-powered state. For me, it changed MW:O from a game with occasionally buggy hiccups to one where the dev's seemed out to redo the entire game into something less fun. And it's not the first time. This seems to be their way of releasing new stuff.

Thank you for the debate, however, this will be my last post on this mater. We have each provided our opinion, and I have nothing else to say. Unless, that is, you would like to talk about the "Big Rocks" that I mentioned above.

Debate? You just kind of prattle on, like you somehow know me and the other posters, even though it couldn't be more clear that you didn't bother to read what we've posted elsewhere,.

So, not so much a debate as you flamebaiting. Hmm. I guess I'm done bothering with you, too.

Edited by ltwally, 29 December 2012 - 08:46 PM.

#200 DocBach

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,828 posts
  • LocationSouthern Oregon

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:39 PM

View PostXander Pappyson, on 29 December 2012 - 03:29 PM, said:

ECM itself has really brought back some of the role specifics to the game dynamics.

Actually, ECM implementation how it is has limited quite a bit of role warfare, and the fact that it and TAG are the only viable pieces of equipment for information warfare makes that pillar of this game incredibly shallow as well.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users