213 replies to this topic

#21 Iron

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 115 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 11:51 AM

wonderful Q&A thank you

We figured that the exciting time following the Succession Wars just prior to the Clan Invasion would allow us to really create some intense House vs. House tensions.

I love this line and I don't think you have to worry about it much

#22 Hagan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 100 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 16 November 2011 - 11:55 AM

Interesting read through guys, thanks for the info.

Question for next time: You've said you want to slowly update the game with content on a bi-weekly basis, will this content be solely in game equipment, maps, mechs etc or will you be adding lobby content as well such as Solaris Radio or Comstar News updates, keeping the in game time line refreshed and updated with the BT canon?

#23 Xhaleon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 542 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 11:58 AM

Persistent meta-game, huh? Looks like anyone wanting a continuous planetary campaign will be disappointed, but at least we can still take whole planets with enough match victories.

#24 Marauder3D

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 744 posts
  • LocationHuntress

Posted 16 November 2011 - 11:59 AM

Disappointed in how the Unseen question was dodged, but an interesting read!

#25 infinite xaer0

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 11:59 AM

good interview. it's nice to get more info and details regarding where you guys are taking the game.

Also, is this:

[DAVID] The MechWarrior® won’t actually take any sort of damage or be at risk of dying separately from the ‘Mech itself. However, we hope to have some visual effects like the ones that you’ve mentioned.

Implying that you can't headshot kill anyone in the game? I'd think that would be a strange omission from mechwarrior, considering it's been in every single game.

#26 Black Sunder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:05 PM

[DAVID] The MechWarrior® won’t actually take any sort of damage or be at risk of dying separately from the ‘Mech itself. However, we hope to have some visual effects like the ones that you’ve mentioned.

Kinda removes the purpose of aiming at the head, or having heat buildup affect the piloting of said mech. Not cool man.

#27 Kallian Ryke

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 25 posts
  • LocationKelowna, British Columbia

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:07 PM

View Postinfinite xÆr0, on 16 November 2011 - 11:59 AM, said:

good interview. it's nice to get more info and details regarding where you guys are taking the game.

Also, is this:

Implying that you can't headshot kill anyone in the game? I'd think that would be a strange omission from mechwarrior, considering it's been in every single game.

He avoided saying that you can destroy the cockpit, which would not -be- the mechwarrior, but would fulfill the same role.

IE, the pilot can't get his arm broken by an ammo explosion or pass out from heatstroke, but destroying the cockpit would at the very least force the pilot to eject. Which probably means you don't have to worry about your pilot dieing and you losing the accumulated experience and skillset he had gained to that point.

#28 Dihm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,312 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationPlanet Trondheim

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:23 PM

First, exactly what Kallian said. You aren't going to have to restart as a new character if your mech gets headshot.

Second, thank you for answering my question! Had way too many, but not all of them fit under "reboot" and I did my best to follow the rules. :)

Third:

View PostInnerSphereNews, on 16 November 2011 - 10:43 AM, said:

From the DevBlog on the reboot, what do you mean by: “Solve some of the long standing gameplay issues from previous MechWarrior® games?”

[PAUL] For me it’s the open expanses of flat terrain that evolved into circle strafing madness. While it will still be part of the game, our new environments will allow us to curtail that type of gameplay while opening up new avenues of exploration and Information Warfare bringing every class of ‘Mech to the front lines of combat. Yes you will be able to form a team of all assault class ‘Mechs, but you’re going to end up as fodder to a co-ordinated team of mixed class ‘Mechs and an orchestrating commander.
Is there any particular aspect of the combat which you felt needed to be radically revised and/or updated?

[DAVID] The greatest challenge when it comes to combat would be properly implementing melee combat. As a result, this is something that we’re going to put on hold until we know we can do it right. As for more traditional aspects of MechWarrior® combat, we want to make sure that there exists a proper balance to the different weight classes of ‘Mechs, so that they each have their own distinct uses, and encourage good team play when used together.

[PAUL] To touch on David’s comment, we are also bringing in the ability to skill up your pilot. Your pilot is the actual avatar sitting in the cockpit. The dude or dudette that you’re viewing the world through. This brings a whole new level of pilot awareness to the battlefield and you’ll be hard pressed to see why it wasn’t included before. You will be able to fine tune your pilot’s skills into one of the various roles we have planned for MechWarrior® Online™. This includes scouting and commanding for your team mates.

I found these... interesting? It sounds like matches won't be balanced at all based on tonnage, just on player numbers. There won't be any restrictions on what mechs you chose when you drop into a match. I don't especially care for this.

For the second question, it makes me wonder how much abstraction there will be. One of the reason it wasn't included before is because YOU were the pilot. YOUR skill at piloting and aiming were used, there wasn't a "third party" in between that had to be leveled up. "Leveling up" was you practicing and getting better.

#29 jrock

• PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:24 PM

this sounds a lot like Chromehounds for 360 which I'm totally fine with.

The big difference is that they don't have to pass game updates through DLC - they can just add new content to the servers.

#30 Xhaleon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 542 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:26 PM

View PostKallian Ryke, on 16 November 2011 - 12:07 PM, said:

He avoided saying that you can destroy the cockpit, which would not -be- the mechwarrior, but would fulfill the same role.

IE, the pilot can't get his arm broken by an ammo explosion or pass out from heatstroke, but destroying the cockpit would at the very least force the pilot to eject. Which probably means you don't have to worry about your pilot dieing and you losing the accumulated experience and skillset he had gained to that point.

It would make sense since it is F2P and Instanced.

Seems like they're going with the pinpoint accuracy model, with lasers at least. "Gameplay tuning will drive how we approach targeting?" That's just an obvious extension of the core points they are going with that were already stated two sentences above. Oh well, those people shouted the loudest, so I guess they get the cake this time, eh?

#31 Tierloc

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  • LocationWAR_Homeworld

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:28 PM

View PostXhaleon, on 16 November 2011 - 12:26 PM, said:

Oh well, those people shouted the loudest, so I guess they get the cake this time, eh?

I'm pretty sure every thread regarding the issue was started by the other side.

#32 Kudzu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the SEC

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:30 PM

I would have preferred a few more direct answers, especially about core systems the community has been seriously debating-- like targeting, customization, and group fire. If this is going to be Battletech: the FPS skin v5.0 I'd like to stop wasting my time following it.

Edited by Kudzu, 16 November 2011 - 12:32 PM.

#33 Kudzu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:31 PM

View PostXhaleon, on 16 November 2011 - 12:26 PM, said:

Seems like they're going with the pinpoint accuracy model, with lasers at least. "Gameplay tuning will drive how we approach targeting?" That's just an obvious extension of the core points they are going with that were already stated two sentences above. Oh well, those people shouted the loudest, so I guess they get the cake this time, eh?

Well I love how they say they love the lore of BT then go on to say they don't see a reason why lasers won't be pinpoint...

#34 Xhaleon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 542 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:32 PM

View PostTierloc, on 16 November 2011 - 12:28 PM, said:

I'm pretty sure every thread regarding the issue was started by the other side.

I'm pretty sure all the most recent threads I remember were attempts to offer alternatives to Cone of Fire, or degenerated into them. And of course, there's all the very visible members who are No-Spread-Or-I-Leave and Realism! all over the place.

Oh, and it looks like mech customization will be present in a significant enough factor for people to actually discuss builds. Here's to hoping that they exercised utmost restraint and don't let even the least bit of boating or sheer combat optimization//exploitation happen.

It doesn't have to be a boat to be optimized. If equipping two Ultra AC/20s on fast mechs allows the destruction of enemies in only a few salvos, then it doesn't matter how much heat you make those weapons generate and how one-shot the tactic is; the game would devolve//distill solely into the above if it tests out to be the most efficient way to kill someone. The "skill" of the game would simply then be executing the killing blow as accurately as possible.

Edited by Xhaleon, 16 November 2011 - 12:37 PM.

#35 jrock

• PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:35 PM

View PostKudzu, on 16 November 2011 - 12:30 PM, said:

I would have preferred a few more direct answers, especially about core systems the community has been seriously debating-- like targeting, customization, and group fire. If this is going to be Battletech: the FPS skin v5.0 I'd like to stop wasting my time following it.

they can't really do that until they get the game into test and see how the balancing works.

#36 Kudzu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:38 PM

View PostJRock, on 16 November 2011 - 12:35 PM, said:

they can't really do that until they get the game into test and see how the balancing works.

Honestly, to see how bad of an idea it is to have some of these things are all they have to do is play any of the past titles. The definition of insanity is to keep repeating the same action and hoping the outcome is different.

#37 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:48 PM

I do however have a deep burning hatred for all things “My Little Pony”. - Paul

This is the best answer of all the Q&As of mankind. There was not a dev who ever said something so personal and true. I like these guys and I wish them luck getting the game ready in time.

*does some gestures at our MLP clan*

Edited by Adridos, 16 November 2011 - 12:48 PM.

#38 KingCobra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Crusader
  • The Crusader
  • 2,726 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:54 PM

This part really excites me

[PAUL] To touch on David’s comment, we are also bringing in the ability to skill up your pilot. Your pilot is the actual avatar sitting in the cockpit. The dude or dudette that you’re viewing the world through. This brings a whole new level of pilot awareness to the battlefield and you’ll be hard pressed to see why it wasn’t included before. You will be able to fine tune your pilot’s skills into one of the various roles we have planned for MechWarrior® Online™. This includes scouting and commanding for your team mates.

After all the BT and mech games i have played over the years i would love to be able to make my own character in my own image and be a mechwarrior out of my mech in the dynamic everchanging world of BT. Then go into my mechlab to make and test my own configs in virtual warfare scenarios.Then walk to a command center to get my new mission objectives and go out with my squad or solo to fight in my BattleMech.The old PC mech games had some of these elements but never put all the dots together to make a BT 3d social enviroment.

There are so many good ideas on this forum about the new MWO game even if 10% of the ideas come to a reality it will be momumental. i cant wait to try it out. :)

#39 Tierloc

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  • LocationWAR_Homeworld

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:58 PM

View PostXhaleon, on 16 November 2011 - 12:32 PM, said:

No-Spread-Or-I-Leave

You mean like kudzu's response?

You know the last few developers of the MW series repeatedly updated certain aspects of the game because of players who like to voice their opinion alot, instead of the content of that opinion or reflection on gameplay.

We haven't even seen this game yet but there are almost 400 threads in just the suggestions forum with people arguing about who's right and wrong. Infact similar topics of discussion existed on another developer forum before this game was even released publically and amounted to about the same - a bunch of people arguing on the internet - not better gameplay.

Piranha, please do whatever necessary to revitalize the brand and bring people back to the genre. You might also have the moderators move most of the suggestion topics to a role play forum.

#40 jrock

• PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 16 November 2011 - 01:05 PM

View PostKingCobra, on 16 November 2011 - 12:54 PM, said:

This part really excites me

AND HULA GIRLS!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users