PGI: An honest, important suggestion/question regarding the "subscription" and its value.

108 replies to this topic

#21 Tsunamisan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 03:31 PM

Why not jut s have "Bost Active" button and then when you want it on its on when you turn it off for say military deployments or other vacations to sleep ect anything that you woul not be ther for atleast a few hours to days and you would not run the risk of it just leaking away lik if you just started it then suddenly had to go away you coul turn it off. Even better it had a idle timer bult in so if you wre not logged in for a specified time say 48 hours your premium packs would hault till you logged back in to play.

#22 MechWarrior6009

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 03:34 PM

I want to purchase founders pack but I'm not sure if I'll be travelling or not when the game will be released - thus founders packs kind of lost paid membership part of its bonuses for me.

Could be nice to have option to start / stop paid membership.

#23 Rajen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 19 June 2012 - 03:38 PM

Thank you, Frostiken, for this excellent post! :(

#24 Bick

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationProserpina

Posted 19 June 2012 - 03:39 PM

I agree the use of the boost on a 24 hour basis on the days that you play is a win win for all involved. I can't and will not play every day although I'll try but it's nice to know that my boost are evaporating when I can't get to the computer.

#25 Xervitus

• PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 19 June 2012 - 03:41 PM

Not to be rude, but really? It's less than 35 cents a day...even if you miss a month completely it costs you about as much as a single lunch out.

They have already set a very low price point comparative to other subscription games...

Edited by Xervitus, 19 June 2012 - 03:41 PM.

#26 xfreewater

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 19 June 2012 - 03:42 PM

Thanks for this post. WoT once offered a 'premium' sampler for 24 hours... I took advantage of that and liked that it was for a limited period. I'd prefer to be able to activate/deactivate the premium status.

#27 Ian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 19 June 2012 - 03:50 PM

So if the premium time is per day. typically that means the business model needs to charge more. The $10 per month assumes no one is going to play 720 hours during the month, much less all 30 days. Would the people urging to make it per day be comfortable paying... say $20 a month to have it turn on and off? pulling these numbers out of thin air btw.

The per day premium in Wot mentioned by the above poster is 3x as expensive as the per month rate (in hours per $).

Edited by Ian, 19 June 2012 - 03:52 PM.

#28 Dmitri Valenov

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • 131 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 19 June 2012 - 03:54 PM

I support this idea. and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

#29 Five by Five

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:03 PM

Excellent post Frostiken!

On concept I agree entirely. I will be lucky to play one or two days a week and for a total of maybe 4 or 5 hours and will likely go weeks at a time with-out playing.

And while I really like the concept, at $10 a month for the premium account, I'm not quite ready to throw my support full behind the concept, just because the price point on the premium account is currently so low. At $10, if I have a week end where I plan to get a solid block of play time, I'll upgrade to a premium account for that weekend and any other play time I get over the next four weeks would just be gravy.

Now, if the price of the premium account goes up or the nature of the account changes, then this may well become a very nice solution.

Or,...... It may well be a nice solution for a "special premium" account, the difference between the premium account and the special account being, the special account tracks time as you have outlined but cost thrice as much. Honestly, $30 dollars for 30 days play time billed in 24 hour increments would probably be a better value for me than the $10 monthly account.

**Edit:** Haha, I type too slow, Ian and several other have already mentioned similar ideas.
Anyhow, ....
Different premium account structures geared towards the different types of player with the ultimate goal of providing each player type the same value for their dollar would be a very nice touch.

Edited by five by five, 19 June 2012 - 04:09 PM.

#30 Sierra19

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:04 PM

I know, that in Moon Breakers (a F2P arcadey spaceship combat game), you can buy credit boosts (no xp in the game), by the match, day, week, and I think month. When I decide to play, I just get a 25 match 4X boost, and when your 25 matches are up, no more boost. I don't know if a system like that would be feasible for MWO, but it might be worth looking into. Granted, buying longer playtime boosts are much more efficient (I think a 25 game boost is a few dollars), but for someone who has spotty play opportunities, it'd be pretty nice. That way, you could "try before you buy" premium account status, although, for me, if one month of premium is only 10 bucks, I'm in, as I'll be saving five bucks a month form WoT.

#31 Solis Obscuri

Don't Care How I Want It Now!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:09 PM

That's an interesting idea Frosti, and not one I'd be averse to.

#32 Ian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:11 PM

A few different methods would be good. However I really would expect the less time you are paying for in increments, the more it will cost you.

$10 a month straight.
$30 for 30 days play time, tracked by the day. Thanks five by five
$1 for a five hour block.
Seems fair to me. Technically it means the $30 or $1 are better deals. VERY few people are going to play 1/3 of the time.
But it really is up to the Devs. They need the game to be profitable.

#33 KageRyuu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:17 PM

Being former active duty, so knowing how ****** scheduling and actual free time can be, I wholeheartedly agree with this person's suggestion.

#34 Bryan Ekman

Creative Director

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,106 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:22 PM

Premium accounts with be offered for a variety of time slices from 1 day to 1 year. Details forthcoming.

This will help with those who have erratic schedules. We are listening, and I appreciate this feedback as it opens our eyes to edge cases.

#35 Ian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:26 PM

Excellent Bryan, looking forward to details, esp that year package!!!

Thanks much.

And please don't think I was trying to suggest prices. Just throwing ideas around.

Edited by Ian, 19 June 2012 - 04:27 PM.

#36 ZenithOCT

• PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:30 PM

View PostBryan Ekman, on 19 June 2012 - 04:22 PM, said:

We are listening, and I appreciate this feedback as it opens our eyes to edge cases.

^^

Now thats why I bought a Legendary Pack.

Edited by ZenithOCT, 19 June 2012 - 04:30 PM.

#37 Havyk

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:31 PM

I also support this idea. Some weeks I will have plenty of time for gaming, but many weeks I will have little as I am on the road frequently. This has ultimately determined whether I pay for a premium subscription, or not. If your paying for a month subscription, and find you have only the oppertunity to play 3-4 times that month, it is not worth even a $10 cost.

I would be willing to pay for a daily premium system, whether purchased individualy or in 30-day packs.

That you OP for the suggestion!

#38 FLAKPANZER

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 164 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:35 PM

I think that is a great idea.

I know how hard it was to plan around being completely out of touch with everything for an unknown
time when I was in.

#39 Shadow Striker

Rookie

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5 posts
  • LocationSaint John, NB

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:43 PM

This is a great idea for "us" and over the long run, may be good for MWO as well and maybe they just didn't think of this themselves. Although they do have to re-coup development costs and that thought got in the way of this kind of "out of the box" thinking. Its's a free to play game with a paid boost. But many people are unwilling to pay $120 if they are not sure that they will get the most bang for their buck which is understandable and i am usually the same way. so they pay $30 and use it up because they have to see what it's like and maybe the do another $30 but maybe thay don't. If you offer this as a Free to Play game with a "Pay as you Boost" option, more people would be willing to pay the $120 because that may be a full years worth of boost to them. But with the very exceptional benefit of 4 Fonders Mechs which is a really big bonus if you like to swap your style like i do depending on the scenario or day.

Personally, i am a 40+ year old gamer who owns and played every MW pc game there was but one, and bought for XBox as well. It's one of my all-time favorite games and i just HAD TO HAVE LEGENDARY regardless of the $120 so i bought it and i'll make it work and i am quite happy right now. But spending my $120 via a daily BOOST ON DEMAND would make me very very happy, bouncing inmy seat happy.

Now i just need to upgrade my PC so i can play it :-) NCIX.com here I come.

#40 Jackalhit

• PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:43 PM

Very cool idea for a per-day type of sub. I wish more subscription based games had such such an option. Also, thanks to Bryan for the response, and a big fat AGREED w/ ZenithOCT.

43 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 43 guests, 0 anonymous users