PGI: An honest, important suggestion/question regarding the "subscription" and its value.

108 replies to this topic

#101 Zhanna Kerensky

• PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 06 August 2012 - 02:22 PM

As someone who has also a job that involves frequent traveling over longer periods of time I definitely second the suggestion to deduct time from the premium account access based on the player's login time and not starting immediately at the time of Founder's package or booster purchase. A daily basis concept seems to be a good compromise, so that if someone logs into his/her account (even if it is only for a microsecond) automatically one day of premium account access/boost will be subtracted and 24h later another one and so on, but if the logout occurs within the started 24h period, then only 1 day of premium account access/boost in total will be substracted.

If this concept is not feasible for the developers, then PGI should consider an activation code for the setup of each premium account access/boost to be given out, so that at least the starting/activation time can be chosen by each player, thereby, preventing that someone, who will not be able to access his/her computer for a month, to be penalized by opting for a Founder's package just before departing on a journey or similar.

Edited by Zhanna Kerensky, 06 August 2012 - 02:24 PM.

#102 Vrav

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 02:27 PM

Being able to purchase boosts that last indefinitely and are deducted per win is something I've seen in a few other games. It's a cool alternative to the constantly-ticking time-based boost. For example, you purchase a 10-win boost and earn extra for the next ten matches you are victorious. I know this has been mentioned many times in the thread already but I figured another voice reiterating the same couldn't hurt.

#103 BongoBong

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 06 August 2012 - 03:30 PM

Of course everyone who plays likes this idea, it means more premium time for the same amount of money. But the idea that "well if its like this, that means they get more people buying that must mean its good for them as well as me" is way to overly simplistic.

If they were to sell the $10 30 day package and allow it to only be used when you play it would very likely double (who knows what the actual stats are but I feel this is a low estimate if anything), the average time it lasts for the players who would be buying these packages anyways. That means there revenue from these packages is halved. That is no small potatoes and would require the added benefit to double their sales just to break even. Is it possible this would happen, sure. But simply stating well if x product cost less more people would get it so that must be a good idea doesn't represent the whole picture of what PGI needs to take into account.

While obviously yes, I would love them to let the premium accounts only count on days I play. But I do think that offering different lengths of time to buy, and # of win/# of games played bonuses, which give excellent flexibility, is fine.

Edited by BongoBong, 06 August 2012 - 03:30 PM.

#104 Glendel

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 06:42 PM

If the founders program is going to be a limited run then it should not matter a single bit if they would allow the "clock" to only tick when you are logged in. They keep saying it is going to be limited, its going to close at a near date. If this is all true and not a "doom doom doom buy now!" tactic then once it is closed it is closed. Those that spent cash on the game can use it when they have the chance to use it, as it will be NO monetary loss to the DEVs or upset to the balance of the game. If i use a month now, or i deploy and use a month later it is still just a used month, i am just not out anything because i have responsibilities to attend to.

Glendel

#105 EDMW CSN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,073 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 06 August 2012 - 06:50 PM

I don't mind the counter for 1 day being used up the moment I login.
That one day is gone,and the boost will expire within 24 hours as per normal.

If I logged out it would continue to run until the 24 hour duration ends.
Then the counter stops counting down after 24 hours, till I log in again.

I feel that is a fairer approach to both PGI and the customer.

Edited by EDMW CSN, 06 August 2012 - 07:04 PM.

#106 Skygrunt

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 07:07 PM

View PostBryan Ekman, on 19 June 2012 - 04:22 PM, said:

Premium accounts with be offered for a variety of time slices from 1 day to 1 year. Details forthcoming.

This will help with those who have erratic schedules. We are listening, and I appreciate this feedback as it opens our eyes to edge cases.

our problem is that in the military schedules change quickly and easily like me i bought the founders package but when my premium activates i will be in the field for a month(originally it was gonna be in the field three months prior that got a frago). I just want to be able to post pone my service until i return.

#107 Frostiken

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 02:54 AM

View PostSkygrunt, on 06 August 2012 - 07:07 PM, said:

our problem is that in the military schedules change quickly and easily like me i bought the founders package but when my premium activates i will be in the field for a month(originally it was gonna be in the field three months prior that got a frago). I just want to be able to post pone my service until i return.

Yep, pretty much this.

If there was a way to freeze your account automatically it would serve as an acceptable interim.

For example, put a 'suspend account' button in. When activated, the account is totally disabled until unsuspended. You can't play, but your premium doesn't count down either. This will last until whenever you unsuspend it.

The catch is that you can only suspend the account once a month. Or maybe once every two months? Something to that effect.

#108 Protoculture

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 03:08 AM

I agree with the OP, I'm a 30 something who played all the original Mechwarrior games and Battletech in the arcade and a brief stint with paper RPG. Of course, not being 16 means I don't have as much time to play as much as I did (although I probably have more than the average player has).

However, this isn't advantageous to the company making the game nor is it the industry standard. Yes they could actually start a paradigm shift by doing this but it's unlikely.

35 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 35 guests, 0 anonymous users