66 replies to this topic

#41 Varent

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,393 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationWest Coast - United States

Posted 22 March 2014 - 09:10 AM

View PostDuzenbury, on 21 March 2014 - 08:15 PM, said:

When everyone is using them as opposed to nearly everything else you need to fix something. One TAG and it's game over because 10 mechs fire LRMs over the mountains perfectly accurately.

Fix this, seriously.

It's NOT EVEN CANONICAL. Worthless developers. No balance.

So what your saying is, you frogot what lrms were supposed to be since the previous meta wrecked them and basically made them worthless. And you arent using cover properly anymore or carrying ams.

GOTCHA!

Ok just was checking. Carry on with your misguided rant now.

#42 D34K

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 304 posts
  • LocationBrighton, UK

Posted 22 March 2014 - 09:12 AM

I don't think people can rage about this enough, so the more threads the better.

Whether or PGI not believe missiles to be balanced is not relevant, if long-term players are furious at the change then imagine how this feels as a new player experience. This buff cannot be undone soon enough.

Edited by D34K, 22 March 2014 - 09:13 AM.

#43 Accursed Richards

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 412 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 09:14 AM

I was wondering where all the SKILL!!!!! crowd who used to defend PPC-bombs and dual AC20's had got to. :P

Games where as soon as you stick your head out, the sky turns black are playable and survivable, it's just a completely miserable experience, and not that different from the darkest days of PPC + Gauss.

#44 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 22 March 2014 - 09:22 AM

View PostD34K, on 22 March 2014 - 09:12 AM, said:

I don't think people can rage about this enough, so the more threads the better.

Whether or PGI not believe missiles to be balanced is not relevant, if long-term players are furious at the change then imagine how this feels as a new player experience. This buff cannot be undone soon enough.

Most of the experienced players I've seen enjoy the change, even if they don't use LRMs. They realize having more than a single effective loadout is important.

It helps keep the game interesting, rather than the stale meta we've had for months.

#45 topgun505

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,625 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 22 March 2014 - 09:28 AM

Replacing one broken mechanic with another just to 'keep it interesting' is not the way to fix things. Pin-point meta was (and is still) a disaster for this game and was never dealt with appropriately (and at this point, I have doubts it ever will). Supplanting that with this doesn't make for a better game. Just a shift in the meta is all it's doing. It doesn't make things any less broken. It's now just broken in multiple directions. :P

View PostMcgral18, on 22 March 2014 - 09:22 AM, said:

Most of the experienced players I've seen enjoy the change, even if they don't use LRMs. They realize having more than a single effective loadout is important.

It helps keep the game interesting, rather than the stale meta we've had for months.

#46 Varent

• 2,393 posts
  • LocationWest Coast - United States

Posted 22 March 2014 - 09:30 AM

View PostD34K, on 22 March 2014 - 09:12 AM, said:

so instead of educating players and allowing them to understand this is a good thing. You want to just make it easy mode.

GOTCHA!

#47 Mcgral18

• 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 22 March 2014 - 09:39 AM

View Posttopgun505, on 22 March 2014 - 09:28 AM, said:

Replacing one broken mechanic with another just to 'keep it interesting' is not the way to fix things. Pin-point meta was (and is still) a disaster for this game and was never dealt with appropriately (and at this point, I have doubts it ever will). Supplanting that with this doesn't make for a better game. Just a shift in the meta is all it's doing. It doesn't make things any less broken. It's now just broken in multiple directions. :P

I don't have faith in PGI to ever balance this game to an adequate, since they seem adamant on FLD and pinpoint convergence, which together create a superior method of applying damage. SRMs will always have a random spread, rather than a stream of missiles (MWLL) so as it is, some missiles are nearly guaranteed to miss.

We'll see in the future if it's more of the same, or if they will actually try for some balance between the weapon types. We'll get a peek with the upcoming AC balance pass.

#48 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 22 March 2014 - 09:59 AM

View PostSandpit, on 22 March 2014 - 09:59 AM, said:

#49 Sheraf

• Mercenary
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 10:12 AM

View PostMazzyplz, on 22 March 2014 - 08:11 AM, said:

light with tag > cover.
any mech with narc > cover.
target decay > popping back into cover.
buffed flight speeds > slow assault.

if a noob read your posts it would seem as if autocannon can shoot thru cover, as LRMs do, sadly it cannot.
LRM is the only weapon you can shoot from cover as well as shoot enemies behind cover, when tag or narc

edit: ahh nevermind i read wrong; you want him to shoot the tagger.
well that's fine and good with autocannon mechs but if you're running the laser banshee you're screwed huh? light mech isn't gonna go down before you if you shoot it with laser

Lasers don't have a rocking effect or dealing alot of damage quickly. That's true.

I start to think that this problem isn't with LRM or AC. It's the ghost heat. Before this ghost heat i ran Stalker 5M with 3 large lasers. Those do the job very well on light mech.

Edited by Sheraf, 22 March 2014 - 10:14 AM.

#50 Nik Van Rhijn

• 2,905 posts
  • LocationLost

Posted 22 March 2014 - 11:37 AM

Tried out my Trollhawk - much better since the patch. Then went back to my standard Shawk and munching lurmboots

#51 zolop

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 284 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 01:29 PM

In the games of MWO I have been playing recently there has been more teamwork by ECM mechs because of LRM fire. Many times in my ECM mechs I would stick near other mechs to provide ECM coverage. If you don't have a ECM mech, stick with a mech that has a ECM on it.

Suggestions...
Maybe ask the mech pilot with ECM if he could stay with the group to provide ECM. Communication is a great thing to use. If you are around many AMS equipped mechs stay with them, like the stalker that has 2 AMS mounts on it. If you are being TAged/NARC'd/spotted by the enemy behind cover either use AC2's/PPC's ER LL, etc. If you don't have those weapons, well this is a TEAM game, so hopefully you will have members that act as a tam and support you and the rest of the team with their longer range weapons.

This has change provided more role warfare, at least in my games, specifically with Support or ECM mechs. This provides a support role to the people that play MWO, like TAG or NARC enabled mechs for scout pilots.

Try to play the game WITH your team, even if some matches people are completely new or only rambo forward by themselves. Pug matches generally have good varying level of skilled pilots, so you will have games will people won't want to operate as a team.. Now if we actually could have larger group sizes it would be even more team warfare, but ever since the group limitation that has not been taken off a year (+) ago PGI does not (seem to) care about competative players ("they are on a island").

Edited by zolop, 22 March 2014 - 01:35 PM.

#52 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 22 March 2014 - 01:42 PM

View PostDanNashe, on 21 March 2014 - 09:19 PM, said:

Eh. Beats dying to artillery strike.
At least building an LRM boat only costs 10 million c-bills. 30 for all the variants.
Using arty in every match would have cost me 100 million c-bills by now!

;-).

Gee! I'm only at 62M. Need to use more then. :)

#53 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 22 March 2014 - 01:49 PM

View PostDock Steward, on 22 March 2014 - 08:27 AM, said:

When Brawling finally gets a shot in the arm ...

... the QQ will be predictably massive.

It's no wonder PGI is not listening to this cesspool called the forums.

#54 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 22 March 2014 - 01:50 PM

View PostSerratedBlaze, on 21 March 2014 - 10:02 PM, said:

[Lights] ran faster than missiles could

Nope. Please note that missile speed is measured in metres per second, while 'mech speed is measured in kilometres per hour. There is a conversion factor of 3.6 between the two.

Fastest 'mech = 171.2 kph = 47.5 m/s
LRMs = 120 m/s = 432 kph (now 175 m/s, or 630 kph).

View PostSerratedBlaze, on 21 March 2014 - 10:02 PM, said:

and could outmaneuver them effortlessly.

This, however, was the case. After the last LRM nerf a year ago I stopped mounting AMS on my lights; I didn't need it as I could just look up, locate the incoming missile volley, and side-step it.

After playing a few matches Tuesday, I dusted off and re-mounted my AMS on most of my 'mechs.

I've yet to die to LRMs since the patch (although I've died plenty to direct-fire weapons).

#55 Detoxx

Rookie

• 7 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 22 March 2014 - 02:04 PM

Just adding to the gripe PGI. You not only broke LRM's with this, but you managed to anger a large % of your player base to the point where we discuss better options for games. People are fed up. Its not "what is PGI going to fix next", its "what are they going to break next". Then play catch up to repair your damage. When I say my patience is wearing thin and my love for this particular mech game is almost done, I'm speaking the same words of MANY others. And I'm not even sure if you fixing LRM's is going to make things better. It may have just been the last straw. I'm tired of hoping this game will be something more.

#56 Serpieri

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 22 March 2014 - 02:40 PM

LRM's makin a large portion of players leave? - funny from what I've seen ghost heat was responsible for a loss of a lot players. Heck, I can't even get my gaming group to try the lrm changes because ghost heat is still here. Oh and btw, nice change to lrms it's nice to see another useable weapon on the field instead of just Daka Daka Daka.

Edited by Serpieri, 22 March 2014 - 11:54 PM.

#57 Ace Selin

• 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 22 March 2014 - 07:07 PM

This game just became annoying to the point, people are quitting, LRMs are not balanced, as there is little risk with a spotter and lots of kills can easily be had with them. Ive done it.

#58 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 22 March 2014 - 07:44 PM

View PostAce Selin, on 22 March 2014 - 07:07 PM, said:

This game just became annoying to the point, people are quitting, LRMs are not balanced, as there is little risk with a spotter and lots of kills can easily be had with them. Ive done it.

There is little risk for spotters because no one is acting as the rearguard.

LRMs are not broken. Many players are, intellectually and -- apparently -- psychologically.

#59 Matthew Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 891 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 22 March 2014 - 08:15 PM

The one silver lining about the LRM speed buff is that I noticed the advantage dual-AMS mechs possess seems to finally be more relevant. Having said that, I think it would be good to slow down the cooldown on all LRMs.

Edited by Matthew Ace, 22 March 2014 - 08:15 PM.

#60 topgun505

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,625 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 22 March 2014 - 10:05 PM

Yeah, I'll bet the sales of the Jester spiked up a bit recently. ;)

11 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users