25 replies to this topic

#1 Race Rogers

• PipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 28 posts
  • LocationKurita Dropship in Low Orbit

Posted 23 March 2014 - 07:43 AM

After 25 matches, i aquired my first mech, my plan was to master a Jenner-D, then move on to the mediums. so i was looking at the numbers and playing around with my new mech and noticed that there was a champion version with an excel 300. since i work hard for a living i figured i could plop down some cash to buy it and support this great game.

bought the JR7-F© with MC's. purchased the JR7-K with c-bills. i now own three jenners and had just enough mc left to sacrifice two oxen and splash their blood across my jenners in Kurita pride.

im sure plenty of people on the forums have seen a red jenner doing stupid crazy shit dying horrible in front of them. ya thats me lol. i got around 50 matches in over my weekend and im getting better but still pull some flat out noob stuff every day. when the sky is not being blocked out by lrm spam i do really well, get kills, spot targets, cap bases, tons of assists and overall help my team win. when the rain comes, i last around 2mins, 5 mins if i get luck on my side ;) i try real hard to go cover to cover and just spot for our team when it happens, but still need to make good choices. it really doesnt go well when im the only light in a assault game lol

i run 4-med lsr and 1-srm6 in my JR7-D. i dont like them streaks and have no problem scoring hits with the six-pack.

so any advice on piloting a jenner-d ?

any help, tips, tricks would be, well helpfull

Race

#2 Nick Makiaveli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 23 March 2014 - 07:50 AM

Spectate other lights once dead is the main thing. Even if they are new and making mistakes you can still learn. For example if you are just a passenger its easier to see how LRMs arc and move around terrain.

Other than that spend some time reading here for tips and then test them out. Experiment with weapon load outs (never sell unless you have way too many, like 5 ML for every mech and you own 10+ mechs...) ;)

#3 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 12:19 PM

Believe it or not, Jenners do make good LRM mechs.

There's also other tricks of the trade. For example water reduces damage significantly.

Sometimes the water is deep enough to completely hide in.

Just a thought.

#4 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 12:24 PM

If you want an SRM Jenner, take it with 4xML+2xSRM4. Most big mechs it meets suffer from acute death syndrome.

#5 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 23 March 2014 - 12:56 PM

Jenner D? I load mine up with 4ML and 2LRM5 with 3 tons.

It goes 140 after speed tweak and is a blast. Add a few JJ for flexibility of movement too.

You get most of the wonderful assault capabilities, plus the extra flexibility of gunning down fleeing lights or harrassing the big boys with missiles. It also allows you to retreat from a scrum you're losing and get a chance to sort your head out while still dealing damage.

#6 Spleenslitta

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 23 March 2014 - 01:25 PM

I go the non meta way. 1 ER LL, 2ML, 2 x SRM2 (faster reloads). Ferro armor, Endo, XL 265, JJ's.
It can respond to any situation at almost any range.

Good luck and i have seen you a couple of times in the game.

#7 Wraith 1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 01:56 PM

The JR7-D has been my favorite for a long time, even during the days of the RVN-3L. I run mine like this. I've tried running a 280 engine and fewer JJs, but it felt a little too sluggish for me. I like my fast jumpy mech to be very fast and jumpy.

Your 4ML+SRM6 is a pretty good build, but I'd suggest swapping the SRM-6 for a 4 and a 2. Same weight, higher DPS, negligibly higher heat.

Try to work closely with other lights whenever possible. A larger mech can ruin your day with a single alpha, but they'll have to decide which one of you to shoot first. The chaos caused by a pack of lights will greatly help your survival, especially if a few of them have ECM.

One thing I still struggle with is being useful during the early game and still surviving so I can wreck things at the end, where fighting is usually more short-ranged. Bringing a UAV and/or some artillery can be a good way to help your team during the 'deathball' stage, as your mech is perfect for deploying these with maximum effectiveness. You can also warn your team of any flanking maneuvers attempted by the enemy.

Krivvan has some great Jenner gameplay videos on his youtube channel. They're not tutorials, though I've learned quite a bit from studying them. Plus, it's always fun to see a good pilot doing work.

#8 Mycrus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 23 March 2014 - 05:57 PM

Target rear side torsos... These are typically the least armored in any mech... You are a scalpel and not a broadsword...

#9 Tekadept

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,290 posts
  • LocationPerth, Australia

Posted 23 March 2014 - 06:02 PM

View PostRace Rogers, on 23 March 2014 - 07:43 AM, said:

so any advice on piloting a jenner-d ?

Do what everybody else does in this game, worry about yourself and not the team (unless you join up with a unit of course)

Just Don't get yourself killed trying to spot for LRM support from your team to find that it just isn't coming.

#10 Buckminster

• Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 23 March 2014 - 06:16 PM

This isn't a Jenner specific thing, just something I've noticed a lot of mech pilots fail to do: get the eff out of dodge.

Especially in a light, when you have the maneuverability to completely reposition yourself - if things look really bad in your part of the map, then find a new part! Completely ignore the mechs you've been fighting, and circle around until you find something that works in your favor.

I don't know how many times I've seen a match where one side just keeps throwing mechs into a losing situation, as if a bigger pile of corpses will somehow turn the tide. It won't. Well, okay, it'll work one time out of a hundred and the stories will be epic, but it's such bad odds... just don't do it!

#11 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,662 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 24 March 2014 - 12:13 AM

Speed is life. Don't stop moving unless you have the perfect shot behind someone and you know you are safe until you expose your position. Even then, line up your shot and MOVE. Weave between buildings and mechs. Don't travel in a straight line, even when retreating. Use the contours of the hills to provide cover as you weave away. Tourmaline is a good map to practice this on. Torso twist to spread damage. Don't travel in a predictable path like a constant circle around a mech. Mix it up speedwise or directionwise so when they line up that AC20 shot, you aren't there.

#12 SnagaDance

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 24 March 2014 - 01:16 AM

Use 'R' to find out about mechs their damaged spots and target those.

Also try and get a feel for different builds so when you see the detail info of a mech you can determine if it's carrying an XL (target side torso), or that it might have shaved off it's leg armour (scythe those legs from underneath him, if there's ammo in there it gets even better).

#13 Flyto

• PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 01:54 AM

Everybody is suffering from the LRMs at present. They just got massively improved in the last patch, and until the number of people trying them out again goes down and/or the number of people bringing ECM rises to equilibrium, it's going to be painful.

With that said, in a light mech you have a better chance to avoid them than most. Try to see where they're coming from and get behind a tall building, or break line of sight from the shooter *and any spotter around* and then move further so that they don't hit you in your last known position. And if you can find room (tricky on a light sometimes), consider carrying AMS.

#14 Mycrus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 24 March 2014 - 02:15 AM

View PostBuckminster, on 23 March 2014 - 06:16 PM, said:

This isn't a Jenner specific thing, just something I've noticed a lot of mech pilots fail to do: get the eff out of dodge.

Especially in a light, when you have the maneuverability to completely reposition yourself - if things look really bad in your part of the map, then find a new part! Completely ignore the mechs you've been fighting, and circle around until you find something that works in your favor.

I don't know how many times I've seen a match where one side just keeps throwing mechs into a losing situation, as if a bigger pile of corpses will somehow turn the tide. It won't. Well, okay, it'll work one time out of a hundred and the stories will be epic, but it's such bad odds... just don't do it!

Exactly the 1st thing I learned from my light mentor Jimmyt. ..

I learned lights while following him around... He would go like there is only 2 of them we can take them or back off that's a lone mech but he has long range support mechs...

Situational awareness is very important for a light pilot... You need to develop a very heightened sense of fight or flight...

Btw that is why I encourage would be light pilots to train in locusts... You will know exactly how much you can agro or not...

#15 Tekadept

• Knight Errant
  • 1,290 posts
  • LocationPerth, Australia

Posted 24 March 2014 - 02:52 AM

Even locusts can take out an assault
Posted Image

#16 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 24 March 2014 - 05:05 AM

I really wouldn't recommend running two LRM5 packs on a Jenner, it just seems to me if you want to be effective you need to be in range of your main weapons which are the medium lasers, and a pair of SRM4's would better complement that in terms of range and give you a clear strategy on how to engage the enemy.

Alternatively packing 2 ER Large Lasers or 2 PPC's is also a good idea if you want to be a long range pest.

#17 Race Rogers

• PipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 28 posts
  • LocationKurita Dropship in Low Orbit

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:13 AM

Thanks for the tips everyone ! after watching tons of videos, i can see where i need to improve.

all three of my jenners completed the basics. moving on to elite. im using the JR7-K first as a test bed for loadouts. tried the lrm. it does ok with me behind the controls but even if i use the D with two lrm's, i dont think i like the lrm missle play. sorry long range missle boat guys :)

right now testing out an ER-PPC and two med lasers on the other arm and having a decent go at. its pretty fun when my targets realize that i got one of those, unexpected gives me a few seconds more when they dont bother with the Jenner behind them while they're busy ;) my direct fire aim needs loads of improvment though. also tried out pulse lasers too, same thing my instant aim needs just needs lots of work lol. shaving off some armor/dhs for an AMS makes me too armor fragile with the ppc setip, so i took it off. but did try out the AMS with just lasers and that works good enough for me. filed that loadout away.

funny story: i didnt realize i was the only one left in one game and typed enemy lance in D4. i got the best trophy comments EVER :D the best was " just die you ****" lol i was laughing so hard, funny shit.....

i forgot who mentioned about the tunnel vision and "get the hell out of dodge" above, but that one is a major problem for me. i will be working on that bigtime. because thats when i die everytime. i just dont want to disingage. them videos gave me a wake up call for sure.

i also love the 2 4srm, 4 ml set up on the d.

thanks again for all the comments, lots to work on!

Race

Edited by Race Rogers, 24 March 2014 - 06:18 AM.

#18 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:31 AM

ERPPC+3xSPL can be hilarious. Not much DPS at range, but it runs surprisingly cool compared to the ML build, and you are not tempted to alpha into overheat so much.

#19 Whitey On The Moon

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 24 posts
  • LocationSouth East US

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:30 AM

Forgive my noobishness..
I notice that from the few builds shown in the thread that some feel its okay to forego AMS.
I was always under the impression that AMS was an absolute in lights & especially in a "scout" type loadout.
For myself, I try to fit AMS in everything I can.
I feel naked when I hear the "incoming missles" warning & don't hear the AMS firing.

btw, this is a JR7-FC loadout Ive been having some fun with. JR7-F© 2xERLL

#20 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:53 AM

View PostWretched XS, on 24 March 2014 - 07:30 AM, said:

Forgive my noobishness..
I notice that from the few builds shown in the thread that some feel its okay to forego AMS.
I was always under the impression that AMS was an absolute in lights & especially in a "scout" type loadout.
For myself, I try to fit AMS in everything I can.
I feel naked when I hear the "incoming missles" warning & don't hear the AMS firing.

btw, this is a JR7-FC loadout Ive been having some fun with. JR7-F© 2xERLL

You are fast enough to get behind cover that wouldn't protect larger mechs. Worst case, you can just outrun most of the damage. I don't run AMS on my mediums because they can get under cover fast, even with the LRM speed boost.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users