Get Mechs Or Die Trying - Sale

40 replies to this topic

#21 Mr David

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 81 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 03:11 AM

Love my Protector. Over 700 drops in it. Doesn't boat anything, but can run a well balanced, diverse build very well, which is the way I like to play. The hardpoints are a bit of a puzzle to put a synergistic build together though. To make it different from other Orion chassis, you must utilize the torso energy and/or the two ballistics hardpoints. The Ilya looks great on paper and can run some terribly powerful builds, but I don't like the Phract chassis. The large CT is XL friendly, which is great for boating big weapons, but it doesn't have as much durability. Orion tanks damage like a champ and the arms are a bit higher. It can run XL or STD depending on your mood and purpose. It's a close call and depends on your play style.

#22 Lan Pyrelight

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 77 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 04:17 AM

Interesting...Maybe I'll get both then, now that I have 2 free slots. lol. Gonna be my first foray into Heros.

#23 kesuga7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts
  • LocationSegmentum solar - Sector solar - Subsector sol - Hive world - "Holy terra"

Posted 29 March 2014 - 04:42 AM

the art style on that drawing
definitely looks like some

maybe along the lines of ergo proxy or hellsing ultimate
though too much anime gonna make it look weird like ---- Mechwarrior tactics

PGI must rededicate itself to make a Mechwarrior TV series! with amazing animation!!!

#24 MechLord71

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 160 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 04:56 AM

I am also debating between the 2 hero mechs (Ilya and Protector). I am a Founder, but really have not played until last week believe it or not. I am doing okay (damage totals and kills going up - slowly but going up).

Right now I enjoy my Cataphract-2X and Jagermech JMS-6 mechs quite a bit. I also have a Dragon Slayer, purchased in some sale a long time back, but the Dragonslayer seems to a be a bit hit or miss for me. Some games I do well, other games I barely break 100 damage. As for my Thunderbolt 5S, I really cannot get him to fit for some reason. I like his look, but I have tried so many loadouts to get him to work, but he always falls short compared to the others.

Anyway, that is my background. I want a flexible all around mech that can absorb some damage. I would like a mech whose hardpoints will allow it to stay viable even as the flavor of the month changes from certain weapon types to others. What would you experienced folks recommend? Ilya? Protector? Neither?

The other mechs I am seriously considering are the Highlander 733C or Banshee 3E (leaning toward Banshee), but I would like to wait for them to go on sale.

Sorry for the long post and thanks!

#25 loopala

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,242 posts
  • LocationDa UP of Mich

Posted 29 March 2014 - 06:23 AM

as some one who has only heard of 50cents, i was wondering why i was asked about 50cents as i type "gl hf or die trying" as my greeting before a drop. never heard or knew about this album/film before this.

back on topic

nice sale ;)

#26 Triban

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • 202 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 29 March 2014 - 07:56 AM

Misery sale and you can take my money.

#27 Tranquility91

• Pip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 12:17 PM

i advise people to grab the ilya if you are deciding on which one to get...
got over 400 drops on mine with an average of just under 500 damg per round. double gaus + 3ml or triple uac5 + 3ml is just beastly.
happy hunting everyone!

Edited by SebastianK, 29 March 2014 - 12:18 PM.

#28 P5YCO

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 81 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 01:40 PM

I have both the Protector and Ilya, the protector is a good general purpose mech for me, a nice variety of hardpoints and those flexible arms make for nice targeting at close range. The Ilya is just brutal, I run 2 ac5 and 1 ac10 and a coupld of medium lasers. It just rips other mechs to pieces. I also have the CTF 3D so the only need to get that is the extra c Bills. Good sale though.

#29 Lord Letto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 900 posts
  • LocationSt. Clements, Ontario

Posted 29 March 2014 - 02:54 PM

How many 50 cent References can you make on this sale?:
"What Up Gangsta", This Sale is "In da Club" with the "P.I.M.P"(ing) Free Mechbay thang for da 5 wins, I got "21 Questions" though, like how does dat phract handle da "Heat" of Terra Terrabad? and do any of da meks fly "High All the Time" with da Jumpy Jets? also, I'm "Patiently Waiting" for da C-bill sales like I'm sure "Many Men" Are. "If I Can't" save C-bills during a sale, than why bother? Cause "Poor Lil Rich" Companys Want More Moolah like Their "Life's on the Line".

Edited by Lord Letto, 29 March 2014 - 02:57 PM.

#30 BLOOD WOLF

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 29 March 2014 - 03:40 PM

View PostGrendel408, on 28 March 2014 - 04:16 PM, said:

Thunderbutt... I mean, Thunderbolt.
Parody and tribute is not the same as replicating something and making a minor change that can fall into copyright infringement status. There's a major difference... not as minor as you might think.

dude.....just, no

#31 Triban

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • 202 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 29 March 2014 - 06:52 PM

View PostLord Letto, on 29 March 2014 - 02:54 PM, said:

How many 50 cent References can you make on this sale?:
"What Up Gangsta", This Sale is "In da Club" with the "P.I.M.P"(ing) Free Mechbay thang for da 5 wins, I got "21 Questions" though, like how does dat phract handle da "Heat" of Terra Terrabad? and do any of da meks fly "High All the Time" with da Jumpy Jets? also, I'm "Patiently Waiting" for da C-bill sales like I'm sure "Many Men" Are. "If I Can't" save C-bills during a sale, than why bother? Cause "Poor Lil Rich" Companys Want More Moolah like Their "Life's on the Line".

You da man, homie. Dakk dakk dakk. My mech got shot 9 times but don't walk wit' a limp.

Many mechs, wish death on me.

Edited by Triban, 29 March 2014 - 06:54 PM.

#32 Revorn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron
  • 3,557 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 12:43 AM

i like the Sales Artwork and the Parody of the Slogan. Cool Work. ;)

#33 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 12:51 AM

What is that in the background anyway ? Thuderbolt hero ? Thor ?

#34 Mr David

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 81 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 09:05 AM

Mech Lord, be sure to get the mechs mastered before judging a variant. The Dragon Slayer will perform much better if you get two other Victors and master it. The Protector is the mech you want if you want a workhorse that can accommodate any 'meta' and can fill many different roles in the field. I've been fooling around with my Protector loadout to deal with the increase in LRMs and decrease of poptarting. Mobility and mid-long range engagement are necessary. XLs are much more survivable with fewer poptarts blasting 30-40 point alphas. LRMs spread damage really well too, which helps. I've settled on either 350XL, 2 AC5, 2 ERLL, AMS, or 325 XL, AC10, PPC, 2LL, AMS. The former has longer range of engagement and is quite nimble, often leaving me the last survivor on a losing team. The latter is more fun to play and delivers kill shots much better. Protector also has 30 missile tubes if you are in to that. The Dragon Slayer has similar hardpoints, but the locations on the DS are ideal for poptarting and not much else. Sebastian K pointed out the two main loadouts for the Ilya above and they are quite hard hitting.

#35 101011

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationSector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, on a small blue-green planet orbiting a small, unregarded yellow sun.

Posted 30 March 2014 - 09:21 AM

View PostShinVector, on 30 March 2014 - 12:51 AM, said:

What is that in the background anyway ? Thuderbolt hero ? Thor ?

That's pretty clearly a T-Bolt. The Summoner is much thinner and not as blocky, by far the more elegant machine.

#36 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 05:49 PM

View Post101011, on 30 March 2014 - 09:21 AM, said:

That's pretty clearly a T-Bolt. The Summoner is much thinner and not as blocky, by far the more elegant machine.

Except the HEAD is in the wrong position for the Thunderbolt in the back view !!
Refer to:
http://mwomercs.com/...avy/thunderbolt

Unless they accidentally reversed the image or something.. It seems that the Thor/Summoner is the first Clan mech to be released. :ph34r:

Edit: Anyway... Looked at it further... It can't be the Thuderbolt because the arms are obviously different. Looks a bit different from the Thor concept art as well but it is closer the Thor than the Thunderbolt.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by ShinVector, 30 March 2014 - 06:00 PM.

#37 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 30 March 2014 - 06:22 PM

View PostShinVector, on 30 March 2014 - 05:49 PM, said:

Except the HEAD is in the wrong position for the Thunderbolt in the back view !!
Refer to:
http://mwomercs.com/...avy/thunderbolt

Unless they accidentally reversed the image or something.. It seems that the Thor/Summoner is the first Clan mech to be released. :ph34r:

Edit: Anyway... Looked at it further... It can't be the Thuderbolt because the arms are obviously different. Looks a bit different from the Thor concept art as well but it is closer the Thor than the Thunderbolt.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Look at the Thunderbolt 5SS... I think you will see a strange similarity to that variant of the Thunderbolt...
http://mwomercs.com/...derbolt/tdr-5ss

Posted Image

#38 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 06:40 PM

View PostTesunie, on 30 March 2014 - 06:22 PM, said:

Look at the Thunderbolt 5SS... I think you will see a strange similarity to that variant of the Thunderbolt...
http://mwomercs.com/...derbolt/tdr-5ss

Posted Image

Yeah.. Likely the 5SS that image is a troll though since the arms are kinda of different from the real 5SS.

#39 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 30 March 2014 - 06:47 PM

View PostShinVector, on 30 March 2014 - 06:40 PM, said:

Yeah.. Likely the 5SS that image is a troll though since the arms are kinda of different from the real 5SS.

Arms look exactly like the same shoulders to me... and the elbow looks the same (from the back of course)... I'm not getting what you think you are seeing. It looks like a Thunderbolt to me. (But I can see why you thought Thor... I mean... Summoner...)

#40 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 06:58 PM

View PostTesunie, on 30 March 2014 - 06:47 PM, said:

Arms look exactly like the same shoulders to me... and the elbow looks the same (from the back of course)... I'm not getting what you think you are seeing. It looks like a Thunderbolt to me. (But I can see why you thought Thor... I mean... Summoner...)

The shoulder in the black and white image doesn't extend as much as the real 3D image. If you look at the black and white image... The Shoulders are below the head level.

The 3D Thunderbolt the shoulders are slightly higher than the head.

Another image to refer too.. that is what got to me..
http://mwomercs.com/...01#entry2942101

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users