Urbanmech Arrives On The Battlefield!

4349 replies to this topic

#501 Hallbor

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 12:02 PM

View Postverybad, on 30 May 2014 - 11:48 AM, said:

Ohh, another assault mech with plenty of weapons. The Mauler's interest here is the 4 ballistic in the torso and the 2 arm e. It's a numbercrunching choice, I am not against the Mauler (I would get at least one because it's a Kurita mech in fact) However it's not got any battletech soul the way the Urbie does, which is a legend and icon.

I never used the Urbanmech in any MechWarrior or MechCommander game i played. And i never played tt.
So i don't have ANY kind of emotional connection to it and only look at it for it's abilities. And those are "on paper" not the most exciting to put it that way. ;)
The Mauler i am mostly interested in because of the 4 ballistic slots in both torso sides. it is something no assault has so far. and because of that (and the tonnage it has) you could mount things on the Mauler you can mount on no other Mech. That is why i would prefer the mauler.
In MechWarrior 4 (Vengeance) in the campaign i actually didn't like it much either because of the small slots i believe.
But here in MWO could could do some really interesting things with it.
Be it 4LBX, 2 Gauss, 2AC20, 4AC5 or things like that. Some like the 4 LBX might not be the most effective tonnage/dmg wise but could be fun to just play around with.
We just don't have any assault that can mount 2 large ballistics, or even 4.

That might change with the clans and the Daishi, but that is a different thing.^^

#502 Dawnstealer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 30 May 2014 - 12:13 PM

View PostHeffay, on 30 May 2014 - 11:28 AM, said:

Urbie + Marauder. Minimal requirements.

It's beta in my eyes until that happens.

It's all beta until I'm piloting my Hatchetman.

#503 jper4

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 01:20 PM

see i never really played any of the mechwarrior games but just the thought of trying to accomplish something with a slow moving light (even with an xl i don;t see the engine cap ever getting it over 100kph if even that high) that so many people say is useless is the kinda thing i want to try out and see what i can do with it. not to mention the screams of outrage coming from anyone killed by it.

besides i'm not that far away (still some work to do but all are at least into elites now, 1 already mastered and another only about 2k xp from it) from mastering all 5 locusts, i need another challenge. ;)

#504 Cimarb

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,912 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationA hop, skip and jump from Terra

Posted 30 May 2014 - 01:33 PM

View PostTanar, on 30 May 2014 - 01:20 PM, said:

see i never really played any of the mechwarrior games but just the thought of trying to accomplish something with a slow moving light (even with an xl i don;t see the engine cap ever getting it over 100kph if even that high) that so many people say is useless is the kinda thing i want to try out and see what i can do with it. not to mention the screams of outrage coming from anyone killed by it.

besides i'm not that far away (still some work to do but all are at least into elites now, 1 already mastered and another only about 2k xp from it) from mastering all 5 locusts, i need another challenge. ;)

If you want to do that, just mount an AC20 on any light - same exact thing.

#505 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 30 May 2014 - 02:20 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 30 May 2014 - 04:18 AM, said:

Pretty much, that and it's surprising effectiveness in TT. Unless your opponent decides to be a douche and field aerial units just to bomb it to oblivion.

EDIT: Plus what Wanderer said. ;)

Actually, in TT it's one of the reasons I'm fond of the -63. LB-10X + arm flip = 360 degrees of flak-spewing pain for people who are way too fond of their aerospace/VTOL assets. Later on, the -70 and -80 keep up the fine tradition. The first has a rotary AC/5, the second is an energy-popping electronics platform that even has extra oomph on it's jump capacity.

Not to mention the easy Hero Urbie, the UM-62 predecessor to the -63 that only exists as a notation in the -63's tech readout as it never ended up getting a record sheet- the one that sensibly replaced the -60's vestigal extra heat sink with an MG + half-ton of ammo. Of course, MWO would have to actually have half-ton ammo options for MGs like tabletop does to do it...

#506 KingCobra

• The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 2,726 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 30 May 2014 - 03:55 PM

I remeber trashing so many direwolfs and atlases on inner city for Mechwarrior4 in my Mauler fun mech you can do alot of great weapon configurations on it. The urbie was a ok mech limited weapons loadouts and slow there was a jumpjet version you could drop arty strikes or long toms on players heads with.which was always fun.But i would still take a mauler any day over a urbie.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by KingCobra, 30 May 2014 - 03:55 PM.

#507 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 30 May 2014 - 04:20 PM

View PostHeffay, on 30 May 2014 - 11:28 AM, said:

It's beta in my eyes until that happens.

The one I am waiting for - I am reasonably certain isn't coming any time soontm

#508 wanderer

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 30 May 2014 - 04:21 PM

The best part of the Mauler is you can get three Urbanmechs for the same tonnage.

And this is Urbie thread. Best thread. Take your fatty fat chubby 90-tonners out of here.

Unless it's really three Urbies standing on top of each other.

Read about your new deity, heretic assault worshipper.

http://www.pryderock...d_in_shape.html

#509 jper4

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 04:50 PM

View PostCimarb, on 30 May 2014 - 01:33 PM, said:

If you want to do that, just mount an AC20 on any light - same exact thing.

not at all- you have to take away everything that makes those mechs what they are to cram a big AC in. Urbies are born with them.

#510 Henry Pride

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 425 posts
  • LocationWorms, Germany

Posted 30 May 2014 - 04:53 PM

You can easily Build a Huginn or 4X with an AC20... but yea.. then its not a Light anymore...

#511 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 30 May 2014 - 05:01 PM

View PostShar Wolf, on 30 May 2014 - 04:20 PM, said:

ME TOO!!!! I want those 12MGs so bad, I could implode.

#512 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 30 May 2014 - 05:02 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 30 May 2014 - 05:01 PM, said:

ME TOO!!!! I want those 12MGs so bad, I could implode.

12MG plus backup weapons and solid speed thankyouverymuch.

#513 Cimarb

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,912 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 06:00 PM

View PostShar Wolf, on 30 May 2014 - 04:20 PM, said:

I vote for that too! Far better than the Urbie :)

View PostTanar, on 30 May 2014 - 04:50 PM, said:

not at all- you have to take away everything that makes those mechs what they are to cram a big AC in. Urbies are born with them.

You do realize that only 1 of the 9 variants has an AC20, right? Yes, they were designed to carry a large AC (10), but this is MWO - any light mech with a ballistic hardpoint is just as capable as the Urbanmech to do this. The only advantage the Urbanmech would actually have is the 360 degree torso twist, IF that was even carried over.

#514 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 30 May 2014 - 06:03 PM

View PostCimarb, on 30 May 2014 - 06:00 PM, said:

Urban mech was built to fight in urban environments.

Given that - (especially using BV) it is one of the most effective (stock) mechs in the series.
It is more than worth it's BV (and sometimes weight) in Timberwolves.

#515 jper4

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 06:13 PM

View PostCimarb, on 30 May 2014 - 06:00 PM, said:

You do realize that only 1 of the 9 variants has an AC20, right? Yes, they were designed to carry a large AC (10), but this is MWO - any light mech with a ballistic hardpoint is just as capable as the Urbanmech to do this. The only advantage the Urbanmech would actually have is the 360 degree torso twist, IF that was even carried over.

yeah but you have to nerf the other mechs to do the same thing that comes naturally with the urbie. it'd be like buying a cicada but only using 35 tons of it because you wanted to play a jenner. i'm not concerned in the slightest about the ac 20- i wouldn;t use more than than the traditional ac10 due to probable ammo issues with using an ac20. i want to take the bad mech and see what i can do with it, not take a better mech, remove anything good about it then play it that way. why buy a mech just to nerf it?

#516 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 30 May 2014 - 06:27 PM

It surprises me how many people just don't understand the appeal of the Urbanmech.

It's not about capabilities or builds. Sure, you can mirror builds on other mechs. It's about the mech itself. If you can't separate those two things, well, you may as well just wander off elsewhere.

We want the Urbanmech to pilot an Urbanmech. Not a mech with that loadout, but an Urbanmech.

Hell, most people will be changing the loadout right away anyways, as we do with practically every mech regardless. Mechs are more than just bags of hardpoints, after all.

#517 Cimarb

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,912 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 06:30 PM

View PostShar Wolf, on 30 May 2014 - 06:03 PM, said:

Urban mech was built to fight in urban environments.

Given that - (especially using BV) it is one of the most effective (stock) mechs in the series.
It is more than worth it's BV (and sometimes weight) in Timberwolves.

Even in an urban environment, I would take the Pirahna. The Urbanmech (stock) is far too slow. The only reason they were effective was as a surprise by being there in the first place when no enemy force was expected, and it was usually by hiding in cored out buildings in large enough numbers to quickly take out the enemy. None of that will be true in MWO, so I will take 12 MGs and speed anyday.

View PostTanar, on 30 May 2014 - 06:13 PM, said:

yeah but you have to nerf the other mechs to do the same thing that comes naturally with the urbie. it'd be like buying a cicada but only using 35 tons of it because you wanted to play a jenner. i'm not concerned in the slightest about the ac 20- i wouldn;t use more than than the traditional ac10 due to probable ammo issues with using an ac20. i want to take the bad mech and see what i can do with it, not take a better mech, remove anything good about it then play it that way. why buy a mech just to nerf it?

People keep using this "naturally" and "born to" stuff. I have no problem with them adding the Urbie as a mech, and would probably give it a try like I have 50+ other mechs. In MWO, though, there is nothing that makes it "special" other than the 360 degree torso twist (again, IF that even happens).

So I hope it is implemented, but only to hush everyone up, lol.

#518 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 30 May 2014 - 06:40 PM

View PostCimarb, on 30 May 2014 - 06:30 PM, said:

Even in an urban environment, I would take the Pirahna.

So would I - but the Piranha costs almost twice as much as the Urbanmech - both in CBills and BV.
Urbie: 1.4 million Cbills (cost of a Locust) 450/500 BV
Piranha: 2.7 million Cbills 800/1000 BV

IE - you would get 2 Urbanmechs for every hostile Piranha.

As for the speed - isn't really that much of an advantage in an urban environment
(though most gameplay mechanics ignore that)

#519 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 30 May 2014 - 06:45 PM

View PostShar Wolf, on 30 May 2014 - 06:40 PM, said:

So would I - but the Piranha costs almost twice as much as the Urbanmech - both in CBills and BV.
Urbie: 1.4 million Cbills (cost of a Locust) 450/500 BV
Piranha: 2.7 million Cbills 800/1000 BV

IE - you would get 2 Urbanmechs for every hostile Piranha.

As for the speed - isn't really that much of an advantage in an urban environment
(though most gameplay mechanics ignore that)

If you squirrel around in river city and the pickle factory in forest colony, you'll notice that dropping your speed down to 50-60 Kph allows you to waste less time breaking, and pull turns while not slowing down, and be more accurate over all. It's even better in lights, because they are small, and can even use short buildings to become invisible.

#520 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 30 May 2014 - 07:24 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 30 May 2014 - 06:45 PM, said:

Talks about slower speeds helping maneuverability in MWO

True - but as far as I am aware - that would not hold true for TT.
(though how it would, I am not sure)

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Facebook