• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,912 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationA hop, skip and jump from Terra

Posted 03 July 2014 - 06:08 AM

View PostDawnstealer, on 03 July 2014 - 05:20 AM, said:

Unlike the Urbie and Warhammer, the Archer is actually an effective mech. Imagine a Catapult with more armor, lasers on arms, and the ability to tank more damage. The Urbie would be fun, not overly effective, and you can build a Warhammer with the Orion.

The Marauder, though...

I'd still rather have the Urbie, Hatchetman, Zeus, and King Crab, but the Marauder is just an awesome mech with a long BT history.

I still say we crowdfund and buy out Harmony Gold and end this stupidity that's been going on since...what? Mechwarrior 2?

What would make you think the Warhammer is not an effective mech? It was one of the best mechs ever made, actually, and for us pre-Clan fans, is probably even MORE iconic than the Timber Wolf.

You can build a Warhammer with an Orion, just like you can build a Marauder with a Timber Wolf, or even an Urbie with a Spider... Close, but not quite the same thing. I WILL have my Warhammer once the Hellbringer comes out, though!

Zeus is the only one from that list that I would be slightly excited about. Hatchetman as well once they get collisions and add melee attacks to the game...

#642 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 03 July 2014 - 06:18 AM

View PostDawnstealer, on 03 July 2014 - 05:20 AM, said:

Unlike the Urbie and Warhammer, the Archer is actually an effective mech. Imagine a Catapult with more armor, lasers on arms, and the ability to tank more damage. The Urbie would be fun, not overly effective, and you can build a Warhammer with the Orion.

The Archer has the same armor of the Catapult (same tonnage = same maximum armor in the mechlab) and has no jumpjets. In MWO, it is not better at all.

And you can do a Marauder with the Orion. (although the Marauder, reseen or unseen is aesthetically irreplaceable).

#643 Dawnstealer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 03 July 2014 - 06:22 AM

View PostCimarb, on 03 July 2014 - 06:08 AM, said:

What would make you think the Warhammer is not an effective mech? It was one of the best mechs ever made, actually, and for us pre-Clan fans, is probably even MORE iconic than the Timber Wolf.

You can build a Warhammer with an Orion, just like you can build a Marauder with a Timber Wolf, or even an Urbie with a Spider... Close, but not quite the same thing. I WILL have my Warhammer once the Hellbringer comes out, though!

Zeus is the only one from that list that I would be slightly excited about. Hatchetman as well once they get collisions and add melee attacks to the game...

I agree, but at least the Orion is visually similar and has similar hardpoints. And I'm almost 40 years old and have been playing Battletech for longer than many of the MWO players have been alive - I know how iconic the Warhammer is to this franchise and universe.

And yes, you can "make" an Urbie out of a Spider, but it will have less armor, taller, different profile. A reseen Warhammer probably would end up looking similar to the Orion. Not "the same," but similar enough. Marauder...there just isn't much of anything that looks like that Zentraedi mecha.

Anyways, I WANT the Warhammer in the game, along with all the other iconic unseens, which is why I was saying crowd-fund and buy out the designs from Harmony Gold.

Hatchetman...Yeah, obviously melee would have to be implemented, but I think that needs to be implemented anyways.

#644 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 03 July 2014 - 10:00 AM

View PostCimarb, on 03 July 2014 - 05:10 AM, said:

......I have no idea why they haven't released it yet.......

STD60 grade engine
They would have to completely re-work how engines and heatsinks work into the mech builds to put that in.

View PostOdanan, on 03 July 2014 - 06:18 AM, said:

The Archer has the same armor of the Catapult (same tonnage = same maximum armor in the mechlab) ....

Archer is 70 tons not 65
Similar base armor - but greater internal structure, and more room for weaponry.

#645 Cimarb

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,912 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 11:08 AM

View PostShar Wolf, on 03 July 2014 - 10:00 AM, said:

STD60 grade engine
They would have to completely re-work how engines and heatsinks work into the mech builds to put that in.

Meh, minor obstacle. They would just need to bump it to a STD100 and shave something else off to compensate. Similar to how the SpidUrbies do so.

#646 Groutknoll

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 11:44 AM

View PostCimarb, on 03 July 2014 - 11:08 AM, said:

Meh, minor obstacle. They would just need to bump it to a STD100 and shave something else off to compensate. Similar to how the SpidUrbies do so.

If they can get masc to work then the urbie has a chance. Make it have a anti-masc with a std100 so that it would have the speed of a std60 and it also reduces the weight of the mech.

now if all mechs could get the anti-masc imagine a atlas with a std100 and anti-masc ... lol it could race the urbie

#647 Malleus011

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 04:44 PM

I would love an Urbanmech.

But I really, really want a Warhammer. And an Archer. And a Marauder, and a Crusader, and a Phoenix Hawk and a Rifleman.

I'd love for them to look 'right', but I'd be happy with all-new artwork, so long as I get the chassis. The Inner Sphere arsenal of Battlemechs is incomplete without the iconic heavies. Making an 'nearly right' model out of an Orion isn't the same.

And, by the way, PGI, I would PAY MONEY for all of the above.

#648 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 03 July 2014 - 04:48 PM

View PostMalleus011, on 03 July 2014 - 04:44 PM, said:

I would love an Urbanmech.

But I really, really want a Warhammer. And an Archer. And a Marauder, and a Crusader, and a Phoenix Hawk and a Rifleman.

I'd love for them to look 'right', but I'd be happy with all-new artwork, so long as I get the chassis. The Inner Sphere arsenal of Battlemechs is incomplete without the iconic heavies. Making an 'nearly right' model out of an Orion isn't the same.

And, by the way, PGI, I would PAY MONEY for all of the above.

Even the urbie?

#649 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 03 July 2014 - 05:10 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 03 July 2014 - 04:48 PM, said:

Even the urbie?

I would pay for the Urbie

In part just to irritate those who hate the chassis
In part because of those times I have been outfought by Urbie-Spiders
In part because I like the underdogs

Lotta reasons to buy an Urbie, even for real money. :)

View PostMalleus011, on 03 July 2014 - 04:44 PM, said:

The Inner Sphere arsenal of Battlemechs is incomplete without the iconic heavies. Making an 'nearly right' model out of an Orion isn't the same.

It may be incomplete
But that is an issue with HG, rather than just PGI (though PGI as well)

They said with the Phoenix packs they were actively avoiding the Macross Unseen, due to HG apparently being extra zealous about those.

#650 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 03 July 2014 - 08:20 PM

View PostShar Wolf, on 03 July 2014 - 05:10 PM, said:

They said with the Phoenix packs they were actively avoiding the Macross Unseen, due to HG apparently being extra zealous about those.

You'd think it's the elixir to immortality with how HG treats'em.

#651 jper4

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 09:15 AM

View PostGroutknoll, on 03 July 2014 - 11:44 AM, said:

If they can get masc to work then the urbie has a chance. Make it have a anti-masc with a std100 so that it would have the speed of a std60 and it also reduces the weight of the mech.

now if all mechs could get the anti-masc imagine a atlas with a std100 and anti-masc ... lol it could race the urbie

i've suggested before that since they've been adding quirks to mechs that the Urbie's quirk would be that engines only work at 60% efficiency and that std 100 engine gives the same 32.4 kph that the std 60 does. may have to make endo stock to account for the weight difference in a std 60 and std 100 but there you go.

#652 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 04 July 2014 - 11:40 AM

I've said it before...

... just give it a 200-engine cap. No more "problems."

#653 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 04 July 2014 - 12:24 PM

View PostMuffinTop, on 30 June 2014 - 04:58 PM, said:

This should have come with Founders, HEY I'M JOKING!

I'd buy that for a dollar !

#654 Cimarb

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,912 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 12:29 PM

View PostProsperity Park, on 04 July 2014 - 11:40 AM, said:

I've said it before...

... just give it a 200-engine cap. No more "problems."

200 engine could even be too much. I would say 120-160, max. That is already 2-2.5x the stock size. 360-degree twist and jump jets make up for the lack of speed, though it may need a twist/turn quirk to offset the low engine cap.

#655 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 04 July 2014 - 02:01 PM

View PostOdanan, on 03 July 2014 - 06:18 AM, said:

The Archer has the same armor of the Catapult (same tonnage = same maximum armor in the mechlab) and has no jumpjets. In MWO, it is not better at all.

And you can do a Marauder with the Orion. (although the Marauder, reseen or unseen is aesthetically irreplaceable).

The archer is a 70 ton mech the cat a 65 ton, according to sarna it also has 13 tons or armour compared with 10 of the Cat

#656 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 04 July 2014 - 02:12 PM

View PostCathy, on 04 July 2014 - 02:01 PM, said:

The archer is a 70 ton mech the cat a 65 ton, according to sarna it also has 13 tons or armour compared with 10 of the Cat

Yes, it's 5 tons heavier. My mistake.
Still, I prefer the jumpjets instead of the less than a half ton of extra armor.

#657 wanderer

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 04 July 2014 - 07:32 PM

Archers were classics because they are, literally the original LRM boat- Crusaders too, but nothing could drop staggering amounts of missiles on a target longer or in greater amounts in the original version of the game.

Then again, I'm good with staying on the ground in a missile boat- the original Archer could get away with 6M/4E (LA/RA 1E, CT 2E, LT/RT 3M) for a layout just fine. I'd likely live in one, but then I'm fond of the Orion for much the same reasoning.

#658 Devlin Pierce

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 219 posts
  • LocationKerensky Cluster

Posted 05 July 2014 - 03:31 PM

Why is this not a real thing I can buy?

#659 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 July 2014 - 08:53 PM

View PostDevlin Pierce, on 05 July 2014 - 03:31 PM, said:

Why is this not a real thing I can buy?

Because the cosmos if filled with the laughter of thirsty gods, and wailing souls.

#660 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 06 July 2014 - 11:31 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 06 July 2014 - 08:53 PM, said:

Because the cosmos if filled with the laughter of thirsty gods, and wailing souls.

"outside the ordered universe that amorphous blight of nethermost confusion which blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity—the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, and who gnaws hungrily in inconceivable, unlighted chambers beyond time and space amidst the muffled, maddening beating of vile drums and the thin monotonous whine of accursed flutes."
- H.P. Lovecraft, The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath

Posted Image

15 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 15 guests, 0 anonymous users