Urbanmech Arrives On The Battlefield!

4349 replies to this topic

#661 wolf74

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,272 posts
  • LocationMidland, TX

Posted 06 July 2014 - 11:36 PM

let get back on Topic, Everybody Favorite Walking Trashcan that can Bite back. UrbanMech Come on Out.

#662 Carrioncrows

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:05 AM

what's funny is that for an april fools joke this thread has received WAY more attention than just about any other announcement this year.

#663 knight-of-ni

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,627 posts
  • Location/dev/null

Posted 07 July 2014 - 03:57 AM

Wow, this thread is still alive.

#664 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 07 July 2014 - 04:41 AM

View Postknnniggett, on 07 July 2014 - 03:57 AM, said:

Wow, this thread is still alive.

No it's not.

Oh, wait...

#665 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 07 July 2014 - 05:08 AM

View PostMalleus011, on 03 July 2014 - 04:44 PM, said:

I would love an Urbanmech.

But I really, really want a Warhammer. And an Archer. And a Marauder, and a Crusader, and a Phoenix Hawk and a Rifleman.

I'd love for them to look 'right', but I'd be happy with all-new artwork, so long as I get the chassis. The Inner Sphere arsenal of Battlemechs is incomplete without the iconic heavies. Making an 'nearly right' model out of an Orion isn't the same.

And, by the way, PGI, I would PAY MONEY for all of the above.

The problem here isn't that those iconic mechs wouldn't sell, but that Harmony Gold would sue the crap out of PGI for using them. :\

View Postwanderer, on 04 July 2014 - 07:32 PM, said:

Archers were classics because they are, literally the original LRM boat- Crusaders too, but nothing could drop staggering amounts of missiles on a target longer or in greater amounts in the original version of the game.

Then again, I'm good with staying on the ground in a missile boat- the original Archer could get away with 6M/4E (LA/RA 1E, CT 2E, LT/RT 3M) for a layout just fine. I'd likely live in one, but then I'm fond of the Orion for much the same reasoning.

Archer also wouldn't have the "dumbo ears" problem the Catapult has.

#666 DustySkunk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 257 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 07 July 2014 - 05:42 AM

View PostDawnstealer, on 07 July 2014 - 05:08 AM, said:

The problem here isn't that those iconic mechs wouldn't sell, but that Harmony Gold would sue the crap out of PGI for using them. :\

I'm still not 100% clear why the reseen versions couldn't be used. It's not like HG has rights to the *names* of the Mechs, and the reseen redesigns were specifically created to satisfy HG AND allow Battletech fans to have something like their beloved classic mechs. If Ironwind Metals can make minis of these and they can show up in official source books, there should be no reason that PGI cannot implement them (unless I missed somethhing.....which is highly probable ). If someone could definitively clear this up for me I would really appreciate it.

Anyway: 671 posts on this thread, and I can safely say most of them are in favor of the Urbie. Let's make (another) poll in feature suggestions and show how much in favor we are of the Urbie actually becoming a reality.

Edited by DustySkunk, 07 July 2014 - 05:43 AM.

#667 Tank

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,202 posts
  • LocationSelling baguettes in K-Town

Posted 07 July 2014 - 05:46 AM

View PostCarrioncrows, on 07 July 2014 - 12:05 AM, said:

what's funny is that for an april fools joke this thread has received WAY more attention than just about any other announcement this year.

Real Mechwarrior lives to pilot Urb someday. :unsure:

#668 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:09 AM

View PostDustySkunk, on 07 July 2014 - 05:42 AM, said:

I'm still not 100% clear why the reseen versions couldn't be used.

Two major reasons:
1. They're not the Unseen designs, and as such will never be accepted by a certain part of the fan base.
2. The Reseen designs are fugly as hell.

PGI would be better off just letting their marvellous art team make their own re-designs of the Unseen.

And on a completely different note:

Posted Image

(thread needed some PGI Urbie love)

#669 Bloodweaver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 890 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:19 AM

View PostDawnstealer, on 07 July 2014 - 05:08 AM, said:

Archer also wouldn't have the "dumbo ears" problem the Catapult has.

Shhh!!! If PGI reads this, they'll take it as a challenge!

#670 Cimarb

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,912 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationA hop, skip and jump from Terra

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:21 AM

View PostBloodweaver, on 07 July 2014 - 09:19 AM, said:

Shhh!!! If PGI reads this, they'll take it as a challenge!

You mean like giving the Archer the torso of an Awesome to balance it? Win!

#671 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:38 AM

Well, I've always thought there was a market both for mechs like the Urbie (that does have enough variants) and for other popular mechs that don't (think Assassin, Guillotine, etc).

One way to do to it would be to have a single variant for these mechs, but you have to own three of them (so you would have to own one Urbie, one Assassin, and one Guillotine) to unlock the Elite efficiencies. Likewise, if you got a fourth single-variant mech, you'd need an additional two of some other single-variant mechs in order to unlock them again.

#672 Ryoken

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 744 posts
  • LocationEuropa, Terra

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:39 PM

Here you can see what happens when Mechkrieger at the Operation Galahad Con have to create makeshift Urbanmechs until it arrives on MWO to :D :
Posted Image
So please PGI hurry, people are even starting to sacrifice beer! :D :D

#673 Valdemaar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 227 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:46 PM

I keep seeing this thread pop-up again and think the Urbanmech is finally here. Maybe one of these days I'll learn better :D

#674 Tank

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,202 posts
  • LocationSelling baguettes in K-Town

Posted 07 July 2014 - 01:12 PM

View PostValdemaar, on 07 July 2014 - 12:46 PM, said:

I keep seeing this thread pop-up again and think the Urbanmech is finally here. Maybe one of these days I'll it will come. :D

fixed

Don't lose hope, of all things it should die last. :D

#675 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 07 July 2014 - 01:29 PM

THE URBANMECH IS HERE!!!!!!!

....alive.

....in our hearts.

#676 Scrawny Cowboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 574 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted 07 July 2014 - 05:08 PM

View PostDawnstealer, on 07 July 2014 - 01:29 PM, said:

....alive.

....in our hearts.

Don't toy with my emotions! :(

#677 Smitti

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 475 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFrog-blasting between BioVent Core #88A and #88B

Posted 07 July 2014 - 10:53 PM

View PostDawnstealer, on 07 July 2014 - 01:29 PM, said:

....alive.

....in our hearts.

^This. Every time I empty the rubbish bin, "...'Urbz"

Then I shed a solitary tear, die a little inside, and tell myself that one day Soon....

#678 Arete

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 390 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 12:37 AM

No urbie today either. Sad face is my face. So sad.

#679 Strum Wealh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 08 July 2014 - 07:22 AM

View PostDawnstealer, on 07 July 2014 - 11:38 AM, said:

Well, I've always thought there was a market both for mechs like the Urbie (that does have enough variants) and for other popular mechs that don't (think Assassin, Guillotine, etc).

One way to do to it would be to have a single variant for these mechs, but you have to own three of them (so you would have to own one Urbie, one Assassin, and one Guillotine) to unlock the Elite efficiencies. Likewise, if you got a fourth single-variant mech, you'd need an additional two of some other single-variant mechs in order to unlock them again.

All of those actually have the required number of timeline-appropriate variants.

The Assassin has the ASN-21, ASN-101, and ASN-23 & the Guillotine has the GLT-3N, GLT-4L, GLT-4P, and GLT-5M.

Likewise, the UrbanMech has its UM-R60, UM-R60L, UM-R50 (a rare "armless" version mentioned in TRO 3039, where all of the weapons & equipment are placed in toe torso sections), and UM-R63 variants.

The problem with the UrbanMech is that the way PGI dealt with Engine(/gyro/cockpit/HS) weights is such that the UrbanMech's 60-rated Engine would have negative mass, and apparently the game could not handle that (which is why there are no sub-100-rated Engines) - which makes it impossible to create the canonical stock loadouts for any of the UrbanMech variants.

#680 wolf74

• 1,272 posts
  • LocationMidland, TX

Posted 08 July 2014 - 10:19 AM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 08 July 2014 - 07:22 AM, said:

The problem with the UrbanMech is that the way PGI dealt with Engine(/gyro/cockpit/HS) weights is such that the UrbanMech's 60-rated Engine would have negative mass, and apparently the game could not handle that (which is why there are no sub-100-rated Engines) - which makes it impossible to create the canonical stock loadouts for any of the UrbanMech variants.

This was True in the Pre-10 Heat Minimum Days of MWO, (AKA my 3 SRM-6, 7 Heat Sink Commando). But it not a Problem Now due to the Minimum 10 Heat Sink Rule (Which was part of CBT) the "Negative Mass" is corrected by having to add the Heat Sink to get back to 10 Heat Sink.

For those who don't know all the Engines in MWO that are 250 Rated and Up Match the CBT Weights for them. All the Engine at or below 245 are Lighter than the CBT weight by 1 Ton for every Heat Sink under 10 it does not have. But when you add that Heat Sink weight back in it will Match the CBT weight for said engine.

18 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 18 guests, 0 anonymous users