• The Boombox
  • 492 posts
  • Locationon "The island"

Posted 02 April 2014 - 01:02 AM

View Postkesuga7, on 02 April 2014 - 12:21 AM, said:

blame the community for asking to bring back the Cent- AH :wub:
with ballistics and missile only

A cent is... siiightly heavier. :wub:

But a light without energy is kinda like throwing away the best asset of energy weapons, Low weight for decent punch at high heat. As said, its only redeeming feature is its camo.

Dont Buy.. til PGI deems to fix it.

Edited by John McFianna, 02 April 2014 - 01:04 AM.

#42 Aleski

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 873 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 02 April 2014 - 01:59 AM

Well Well...

I've test this Raven with 295XL, two SSRM2 and a BAP. And in fact that was very cool! I've kill two mechs and made a little amount of damages, it was pretty fun!

I don't have buy it, just test it on the public test server.

The good points :
Camo
FRR hero mech!!!!!!
300 engine
two JJ

The bad points :
NO ENERGY HARDPOINTS!!!!! WHY??! ='(
No ECM, Ho my god, why? With the new LRM speed, it was the time to doing this!

I really wish you change the defaults on that mech. I will buy it at full price if you do it, i really enjoy to test it for free, but it's not deserve real money for what is it now. The 3L is just more usefull for the moment...

But i like the idea of a FRR hero mech, it's not a completely piece of crap, i really enjoy to test it... But PGI, you tend to made some Hero mechs useless compared to the Standard variants... It's a strange strategy! I like hero mechs, but sometimes, it looks like you don't want to made us buying them. (GB, PB, Grid Iron, Oxyde......) I've buying the GB, it's a very very good mech, but the KTO-18 is by far better. Really.

Keep on going PGI, i like you, you made good job! But sometimes, you made strange decisions =)

See you on Battlefield, mechwarriors!

#43 IceCase88

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 689 posts
  • LocationDenzien of K-Town

Posted 02 April 2014 - 02:28 AM

I am going to play some serious SmurfyWarrior Online with this one before I even play some MechWarrior Online with it. Even the best looking build for Huginn looks really bad.

#44 MrWhite

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 02:33 AM

Pay to lose maybe? Lol ill stick with my 3L....

#45 cryonic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • 107 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh UK

Posted 02 April 2014 - 03:07 AM

Fixable by either adding ecm , or a single energy point.

#46 Caswallon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 540 posts
  • LocationArboris

Posted 02 April 2014 - 03:16 AM

Disappointing. Cannot think of a single case where this will be better than a properly configured X4.

But hey that's me being an armchair Mech Tech. I'll see how I observe them perform before a final judgement. For now it seems pretty underpowered, perhaps that's the back door "compensation" for the fact that as a Hero it will make more money for its pilot that the Devs really want us earning per match?

Nice pint job tho'! Pity that's becoming what MWO is known for: Great looking Mechs but inconsistent game play.

#47 GrandLocomon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts
  • LocationWestern Australia

Posted 02 April 2014 - 03:37 AM

I'd buy it, because I like the paint scheme [Is it only 2 colour channels though? Looks that way]. I think the hardpoints are a bit sucky purely due to the amount of ammo one would need to carry. Probably buy it on sale. I doubt PGI will 'fix' the mech anyway. They haven't said anything about 'fixing' oxide, and they themselves questioned whether it was over-nerfed.

IMO the hero mech should be the 2nd best variant of a chassis. Not 1st just so the P2W people don't QQ too much [remember the "boar's head will be OP" QQ though? lol.] And not so terribad that $15 [is in AUD] worth of mech isn't so unappealing to buy.

#48 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 02 April 2014 - 03:49 AM

In a way, this is perfect. It's the last hero mech I'm interested in buying, since the hero Catapult ended up looking like cat vomit. And now this one is potentially worse than even the 2X and 4X Ravens, which are still considerably worse than the 3L, since the day they were released.

This hero mech is perfect in the sense that if I do well with it, I may play the game a bit longer. If it's useless, then I'll at least have a sense of closure and leave the game untill the clans arrive.

Right now, I'm thinking 4 MGs and 2 SRM6's. Pure fire support, teaming up with assault mechs for brawling. You'd be surprised to see how much damage my 3L does with SRM6+SRM2.

The limit on jump jets illustrates the devs' lack of understanding though. There's literally no reason why a competitive player (who in a moment of insanity bought this mech) would put more than two jump jets on a light mech without energy weapons or any ECM. Having 6 jump jets on this thing would be a complete waste, but a lot of fun. So why rob us of a fun option that has absolutely zero chance of improving the effectiveness of this mech, let alone making it overpowered?

#49 Tarriss Halcyon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 239 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:12 AM

As the pilot almost famed for his hatred of Ravens, I have to say that reading about the loadout made me burst with laughter. People ridicule my light mech of choice, the Commando, for being underpowered? The Death's Knell puts the Huggins to shame. Hell, even Oxide puts the Huggins to shame. There is no mech in a worse position than this - even the worst mech in game (from what I've observed), the RVN-2X, outclasses this mech. I thank you for proving that Ravens are a laughingstock, and proving my title of "Ravenslayer" is correct.

As a side-note, well done ensuring that this hero mech is never used with the lack of ECM. I know you're afraid of a hero mech with ECM being called "pay to win", but you haven't released a new ECM mech since the Spider, and it's getting kinda stale to see ECM on the enemy team and being able to guess the mech purely from it's movement profile - if it's fast, it's a Cicada, Commando or Spider. If it's slow and has teammates, it's an Atlas. If it's in the moderate speed bracket, then it's likely a 3L. Please, release more ECM-capable chassis, it'll be better for your playerbase. Unless you're saving that for clantech...

#50 POWR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 553 posts
  • LocationAarhus, Denmark

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:41 AM

I think you are more discussing an outright broken mechanic of the battletech game style. Ammo is an inherent extreme weakness, but making the ammo powered weapons better means everyone uses those and everyone whines that lasers are bad. Make lasers better and everyone whines that ammo powered weapons are totally gimp and shouldn't exist. Should all mechs have equal split of ammo and energy? Why even bother having different mechs and setups and teams and stuff.

We can all go play Rocket Arena right now. Best Quake mod. 1v1 and only one weapon that everyone starts out with that also has infinite ammo. Only your skill matters now. None of all that other nonsense like metagame and overpowered or underpowered. Just your ability to move, aim and shoot at the right time. None of those distracting other factors to interfere with the enjoyment of destroying your opponent.

According to general belief of posters here, then 85% of all mechs and weapons in the game are completely useless and will never ever be useful. Well. There are no other weapons. You have it all. Just use the ones that are good, discard the rest. The whole point of variety is nonsensical. Rocket Arena took it away and focused the game on its purest point. Everything else is just something that will end up never being used because someone decides it's not good.

Edited by POWR, 02 April 2014 - 05:43 AM.

#51 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:56 AM

Don't know why so many complain about lack of ECM, we have enough right now in existing units and did not get the Griffin-2N.

#52 Xarian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • 997 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 07:00 AM

The only legitimate complaints with this mech are the leg hitboxes being out of whack and the long-standing issues with SRMs.

Assuming both of those will be fixed (and SRMs may already be fixed), this Mech is decent. It's not a 3L, but if you want a 3L then nothing is stopping you from playing one. Heroes are supposed to give people something to mix up their builds/playstyle, not simply be superior.

#53 Raso

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 02 April 2014 - 07:03 AM

Now we need to see a Summoner hero called Odin and we'll be in business! It's a shame, though. With out Munnin we'll never have the full set.....

#54 Voivode

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 07:08 AM

Hero mechs are meant to be different than the rest of the chassis, and this mech certainly delivered that. A single energy slot would be nice, for sure, but I've been having fun with mine. Will it become the new meta? Nah. Is it a good time to drop in? Sure is!

#55 N0t Me

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 07:19 AM

1st lol @ the EVE players, made my day
2nd i would be very very happy to switch this crappy mech for a urban mech

#56 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 02 April 2014 - 07:28 AM

View PostChronic Rune, on 01 April 2014 - 03:46 PM, said:

I can't understand why they didn't put any energy slots on it, as it stands its just flawed.

Its a joke but its also a joke that victors run from, I do say I love ppc ac10 build victors I'm going to hunt them with my lights, until you build proper victors folks :wub:

View PostRG870, on 01 April 2014 - 05:53 PM, said:

At least you can use the Grid Iron with builds like AC20 or 2xAC2 + MLs similar to the 4G. But the Raven hero is another useless hero mech. The last thing I needed was another hero light mech which depends on ammunition without having the tonnage to equip plenty of it. This hero sucks like the Oxide does. With some energy slots and maybe ECM they could be fun.
Another disappointing hero after Oxide, Boars Head (assault mechs must be able to tank, it's stupid to put most of their weapon slots into their arms and not even having ECM for minimal protection) and Jester (nice mech, too bad all lasers suck at the current pinpoint meta).
I wish there were more heros like the Firebrand, Ilya, Misery or Heavy Metal. And for Christ's sake bring heroes with ECM if there's already a non-hero variant with ECM of the same chassis.

The Oxide doesn't suck, until the Firestarter came a long it was a good mech and easy mode with 4 streaks and bap sure its got limited ammo, but 600 damage is still good in a light

#57 Chemie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,491 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 02 April 2014 - 07:34 AM

PGI don't understand their game (which is why we have pin-point alpha meta with PPC/AC). Here is Russ' tweet:
"sure it's the fastest Raven and has JJ, then imagine 4 MG, 2 Streaks - sounds fun"

"fastest raven" - max 300XL which is essentially the same as the 3L at 295
JJ - one other raven offers this and is still useless
4MG / 2 SSRM is a good build? For what? No good as scout, spider would be better for "clean up the crit fatties" and only 2 SSRM for spread damage.

What a useless mech..worse than all other ravens except the 3L which is the only viable raven out there but that is due to ECM and not the inherent raven thing.

#58 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 02 April 2014 - 07:39 AM

Terrible hardpoints for a light mech, don't waste your moneys!

#59 Featherwood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 07:44 AM

View PostMerchant, on 02 April 2014 - 05:56 AM, said:

Don't know why so many complain about lack of ECM, we have enough right now in existing units and did not get the Griffin-2N.

You have stepped on my aching toe: ECM. It is still overpowered 'cause of that ridiculous invisibility, which contradicts both TT rules and real life physics laws (electronic jamming =/= stealth technology). I've participated in all ECM sh*tstorms of the past and know that Paul will ignore anything (articles, links, rational suggestions, logical explanation), but damn it, if that joke of a game designer was able to analyze statistics, he would have seen long time ago that most of PUG teams without ECM 'Mechs lose. BUT. If that fantasy spell of Paul Innouye The Fairy would be removed (just invisibility, ECM should be able to prevent locking and so on), it became normalized piece of equipment in the very moment.

As for Griffin GRF-2N

GRF-2N
The SLDF's Royal Griffin mounted an ER PPC, two SRM-6 launchers, and a Guardian ECM Suite. The heat-sinks were upgraded to doubles, and the ammo was protected by CASE. To fit all this, the armor was changed to Ferro-Fibrous and the chassis was Endo-Steel.

it's a nice 'Mech, but it would instantly become no-brainer's choice 'cause of that 1.5 ton fairy-box. It also worth mentioning that GRF-2N supposed to be rare 'Mech, but you know...

#60 Mike McSullivan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 556 posts
  • LocationHannover, Germany

Posted 02 April 2014 - 07:55 AM

Im a bit sad about this mech.When the first rumors came up "...its a Raven hero!" my wallet jumped up and down in joy,
i just wanted it. But after realizing the loadout my wallet jumped out of the window (3 Floors down) R.I.P.

If it had just the AMS replaced with an ECM...invisible LRM-thrower :wub:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users