- - - - -

Are Headshots Possible?

46 replies to this topic

#1 Zoid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 05:33 AM

I see there is an achievement for it but I can never seem to get one. I'll load up a test map and fire directly at something's head, see it glow, but it always registers as CT damage.

I remember it was this way in Mech4 as well (I used to pull armor out of the head for extra tonnage since I knew it would virtually never happen), so I'm just wondering if there's some trick I have yet to figure out.

#2 Viken

• PipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 58 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 05:37 AM

Essentially, you need to aim for the cockpit glass. I'm not sure where it is off the top of my head, but there's a really good post somewhere with the hitbox locations for each mech.

#3 Rushin Roulette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 03 April 2014 - 05:37 AM

It is possible, the cockpit hitbox however does not include the whole cockpit window display you see in just about every mech.

For example, the Atlas cockpit is only the left eye. The Catapult cockpit is the central cockpit glass panel only (not the surrounding glass panels).

#4 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 03 April 2014 - 05:47 AM

But they have drastically reduce the size of those hit boxes haven't they.... I know that I'm used to get more head shot kills (receiving end and executing) but lately non happens.... or is this just because of the degeneration of aiming...because the LAC don't have any need to aim - spray and pray for the win

Edited by Karl Streiger, 03 April 2014 - 05:48 AM.

#5 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 03 April 2014 - 05:48 AM

Note that you cannot simpyl shoot the cockpit glass, or he mech's "head". The actual headshot hitbox is only a small portion of the mech's body.

For example, the Atlas has a huge head, but 99% of it counts as CT. The left eye is the actual cockpit/head hitbox.

Here is a famous thread all about hitboxes (although mechs are occasionally revised, I'm nto sur how up to date it it) http://mwomercs.com/...x-localisation/

Here's just the heads(not all mechs included but it's a good example):

Posted Image

Edited by Redshift2k5, 03 April 2014 - 05:50 AM.

#6 SnagaDance

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 03 April 2014 - 05:55 AM

Like the others said it's a particular part of each mech's cockpit glass. Btw, it's the Atlas his left eye, his left, not yours. :D

I've only purposely made a heatshot once, while in a Jenner vs Jenner duel on Caustic. We were both constantly overheating trying to get the kill shot (and failing). Then I saw him standing so very still and shutdown right in front of me, with that nice front cockpit window pointed in my direction. I took another fraction of a second to line up my shot and then 6 Medium Lasers melted his cockpit to slag. :(

A lot of people get headshots by lucking out and having one of the shells/bombs of their arty/air-strike land on an opposing battlemech's head/cockpit hitbox. That's a 40 point headshot right there.

#7 Macksheen

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationNorth Cackalacky

Posted 03 April 2014 - 05:55 AM

You can also practice in the training grounds, if you're unsure.

I REALLY wish you could see hitboxes in the mechlab still.

#8 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 05:56 AM

Yes, headshots are very much possible. You start scoring them when you learn to aim for the top of the center torso. In addition to possibly hitting the cockpit, this place is often possible to hit even when the pilot is actively trying to shield by turning sideways.

#9 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,677 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:25 AM

In the training grounds, use a laser to move along where you think the head is and watch for the damage update. then you can see what counts as the head.

Modo, the hitboxes in the mechlab were never exactly the hitboxes in-game. I do wish we could see them though as a 3d overlay. Maybe in 10 years.

#10 BigBadVlad

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 242 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:37 AM

You betcha!!!!

Me, sneakin' on the E in my Commando 2D
What's that, oh crap cya! A triple Guass Ilya!
Tag him with my Narc back away! BOOM, Headshot, i didn't know what to say...

#11 cSand

• 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:45 AM

Oh yes, a fact driven home last night when my Orion got double cockpit-gaussed by a sneaky Jager hiding in the snow (I have to admit, his white paint camo worked AMAZINGLY well)

:lol:

#12 L a S e R

• PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 11:00 AM

I have had a double ac 20 jager headshot me before :lol:, I don't like him

#13 TyGeR STD

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 245 posts
  • LocationGa

Posted 03 April 2014 - 11:08 AM

double 20 or double guass mechs are probably the easiest load outs to use to get a head shot. If you are really interested in learning the locations of the cockpits take a mech with a few mediums or smalls into the training grounds and test till you find the areas. I would use 1 medium or maybe 2 smalls and fire from 250m or so away. Taking the advance zoom module may be of some help wile testing. Also having the ability to make small, precise moments with your mouse is also key. Also remember that with the mech you pilot the weapons will fire from different locations, this also factors into getting a hit on the head of your target mech.

good luck

Edited by TyGeR STD, 03 April 2014 - 11:09 AM.

#14 Amsro

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,435 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 03 April 2014 - 11:11 AM

Yes Headshots are possible and in fact fairly easy to do. Once a mech powers down your chances go up exponentially. :lol:

#15 BLUPRNT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 616 posts
  • LocationLake Something or Other, WA

Posted 03 April 2014 - 11:20 AM

Had my head blown out in a Hunchie from across the map in Forest Colony 10 seconds into the match. He was surprised as I was.

Yes its possible.

In 2 years of playing I've only had my head blown out about 8 times.

Edited by BLUPRNT, 03 April 2014 - 11:24 AM.

#16 Dark Jackal

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 187 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 11:37 AM

They used to be easier to do back in the day when folks used to strip armor from their head and my 6ML Jenner had a field day with those 'Mechs.

These days, most of the Pug matches have the majority of them going max armor so it's not as easy as it was back in the good old days.

On the brightside, if you can reach a disconnected 'Mech, it's an easy head shot. :lol:

#17 Amsro

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,435 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 03 April 2014 - 11:44 AM

View PostBLUPRNT, on 03 April 2014 - 11:20 AM, said:

In 2 years of playing I've only had my head blown out about 8 times.

It can happen more often then that to be sure. But I as well suffer little from them. But that is due to defense and positioning. Once you pilot a Catapult you will learn many tactics to avoid direct head on confrontation, a good shot will get you to be sure!.

#18 xMintaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 882 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 11:52 AM

To echo everyone else, yes they are possible. Had two last night, both Jenners in the same match.

Lesson for light pilots (specifically Jenner pilots)? Never, ever run head on at an Ilya Muromets.

#19 Vanguard319

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,436 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 03 April 2014 - 11:59 AM

yes, head shots are possible, though some chassis have easier to hit cockpits than others. (I find the Atlas and Centurion fairly easy to head shot, and other mechs like the Awesome almost impossible to hit.) Go into the testing grounds and try to headshot a mech from a certain distance, then realize that it will be even harder when both you and the enemy are moving.

#20 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 01:42 PM

View PostZoid, on 03 April 2014 - 05:33 AM, said:

I see there is an achievement for it but I can never seem to get one. I'll load up a test map and fire directly at something's head, see it glow, but it always registers as CT damage.

Example head location: Battlemaster. Exterior. Colored in blue.
Posted Image

Interior. Colored in pink.
Posted Image

Example head location Kintaro: (ignore the rest; these are old hitboxes and were fixed. They are very different. But the head remains the same).
Posted Image

Example cockpit, Jenner. This is old, but the cockpit is exactly the same spot.
Spoiler

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users